BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

My guess is MQ, ENY and GA are starting to make room for those XDE's coming in shortly.

I think those retired NGs simply aren't road worthy anymore. The fall pick must start soon? which is usually calls for an increase of service especially with NYC public schools opening back up soon.

They probably will get hand me downs from MTV to replace those retired units in the meantime considering the XDE order slowed to a crawl in recent weeks.

Just now, trainfan22 said:

I think those retired NGs simply aren't road worthy anymore. The fall pick must start soon? which is usually calls for an increase of service especially with NYC public schools opening back up soon.

They probably will get hand me downs from MTV to replace those retired units in the meantime considering the XDE order slowed to a crawl in recent weeks.

Apparently 9591 is at the service center.. Destination MCH I guess. I wonder when MQ's batch will start to come in.

I could definitely see ENY and possibly Fresh Pond getting some more MTV replacements. I could also see Flatbush and Grand possibly getting replacements too. As you indicated fall pick is coming shortly.. Kingsbridge and Gun Hill have started sending buses over to Queens Village. Lots of swaps coming especially this week.

So I get on a solo seater and someone else sits on a solo seater right in front of me..... on an artic that was completely empty in the back and wide open seating up front too.

Like, spread the f- out dudes. No reason 8 people that don't know each other should be sitting so close together on a 60-seat bus in the middle of the afternoon.

7 hours ago, paulrivera said:

So I get on a solo seater and someone else sits on a solo seater right in front of me..... on an artic that was completely empty in the back and wide open seating up front too.

Like, spread the f- out dudes. No reason 8 people that don't know each other should be sitting so close together on a 60-seat bus in the middle of the afternoon.

Haha that happens to me a lot too. I always like to think that some people don’t like riding alone. 

On 8/26/2021 at 4:57 PM, trainfan22 said:

I did not know that. But in this case the bus was traveling along its route and made an routine stop then it just shut off. After that it was fine the rest of the time I was on the bus.

That happened to me last year with an Xcelsior I was driving. Even worse, it wouldn't start back up.

That was a nice 4 hours in the cold...

53 minutes ago, NBTA said:

Got on a slammed M104 due to Ida hitting us, it’s crazy. Arguments and near fights happening. Lol

Yeah some of these passenger numbers are crazy.

56 passengers on an NB M104 past 110th Street? Inbound Q32 on 60th Street approaching 5th Ave with 47 riders? An M5 on Riverside Drive with 62 passengers?Never thought I'd see the day. 

There's also currently a NG on the Q60 towards South Jamaica with 77 passengers in Sunnyside. And there's a Q102 to Astoria with 34 people on, and an M15 local with 110 riders on. Those buses are taking in quite the pressure.  

Looks like some also flocked to the express bus. There's a BxM10 in the Bronx with 52 riders onboard (non-stop portion), and an X27 bus in Downtown with 58 people onboard (and counting). 

EDIT: The X27 from above ended up getting a total of 70 people onboard. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I posted this in the subway forum, but I'll put this here as well:

EDIT: 5:42 AM

The only subway service running as of now is as follows:

(1) 242nd Street to 168th Street

(2) 241st Street to East 180th Street

(4) Woodlawn to 149th Street - Grand Concourse

(5) Eastchester - Dyre Ave to East 180th Street

(6) Pelham Bay Park to Parkchester

(7) Full route, but at reduced headways

(A) 168th Street to Euclid Ave

(D) Bedford Park Boulevard to Coney Island

(F) 34th Street - Herald Square to Coney Island 

(J) Full route

(L) Full route, but at reduced headways

(N)  Times Square - 42nd Street to Coney Island, with Coney Island bound trains operating via the (D) south of 36th Street

(Q) 57th Street - 7th Avenue to Coney Island

(R) Whitehall Street to Bay Ridge - 95th Street

All other service is suspended until further notice.

Plan accordingly, because I'm already seeing high passenger counts on various buses which parallel trains. Some examples include the two B25 buses in each direction to Broadway Junction and Downtown Brooklyn having 58 and 36 riders, respectively, as well as Q53 buses entering the Rockaways with over 30 people onboard. 

Express buses may also be very packed this morning, especially in Queens and the Bronx because of the lack of subway service into Manhattan. 

Also worth noting that all Metro North service remains suspended, and that limited westbound service will resume on the LIRR only, except for the Port Washington Branch (which is completely suspended for now). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I posted this in the subway forum, but I'll put this here as well:

EDIT: 5:42 AM

The only subway service running as of now is as follows:

(1) 242nd Street to 168th Street

(2) 241st Street to East 180th Street

(4) Woodlawn to 149th Street - Grand Concourse

(5) Eastchester - Dyre Ave to East 180th Street

(6) Pelham Bay Park to Parkchester

(7) Full route, but at reduced headways

(A) 168th Street to Euclid Ave

(D) Bedford Park Boulevard to Coney Island

(F) 34th Street - Herald Square to Coney Island 

(J) Full route

(L) Full route, but at reduced headways

(N)  Times Square - 42nd Street to Coney Island, with Coney Island bound trains operating via the (D) south of 36th Street

(Q) 57th Street - 7th Avenue to Coney Island

(R) Whitehall Street to Bay Ridge - 95th Street

All other service is suspended until further notice.

Plan accordingly, because I'm already seeing high passenger counts on various buses which parallel trains. Some examples include the two B25 buses in each direction to Broadway Junction and Downtown Brooklyn having 58 and 36 riders, respectively, as well as Q53 buses entering the Rockaways with over 30 people onboard. 

Express buses may also be very packed this morning, especially in Queens and the Bronx because of the lack of subway service into Manhattan. 

Also worth noting that all Metro North service remains suspended, and that limited westbound service will resume on the LIRR only, except for the Port Washington Branch (which is completely suspended for now). 

Yup, I happened to catch a QM36 that wasn't tracking properly, so it was pretty empty, but all the other buses we passed are packed. THe X63/4/8s are especially packed, as people at Union Tpke see that the Queens Blvd subway lines are horrendous and jumped onto the bus instead. What a mess. Haven't seen it this bad in a long time.

1 minute ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I believe it. The Queens Blvd Line was completely knocked out. (E) service is still suspended completely, with no (F) north of 34th, no (M) north of Essex and no (R) north of Whitehall. My QM20 bus was the fullest I’ve seen it in months. Plenty slow, too.

And now I see the issue...the underpass on QUeens Blvd directly under the LIE is still totally flooded out. One MCI must've tried to go through it and stalled, and also bus 3690 is currently getting towed out, presumably that also stalled in the water last night. I see at least one entrance to Woodhaven Blvd subway station is closed down, it must've totally flooded as well

Just now, QM1to6Ave said:

And now I see the issue...the underpass on QUeens Blvd directly under the LIE is still totally flooded out. One MCI must've tried to go through it and stalled, and also bus 3690 is currently getting towed out, presumably that also stalled in the water last night. I see at least one entrance to Woodhaven Blvd subway station is closed down, it must've totally flooded as well

I saw the flooded underpass under Woodhaven Blvd from my bus. Abandoned cars too, one of which caused the LIE to come to a standstill in that area. It was turned sideways blocking two lanes. Just wow.

8 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I saw the flooded underpass under Woodhaven Blvd from my bus. Abandoned cars too, one of which caused the LIE to come to a standstill in that area. It was turned sideways blocking two lanes. Just wow.

Yup, must've passed 5 or 6 abandoned cars just on the LIE heading to the QMT. I'm impressed that the QMT doesn't seem to have taken much damage. I wonder if they considered closing those new flood doors they installed

13 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yeah some of these passenger numbers are crazy.

56 passengers on an NB M104 past 110th Street? Inbound Q32 on 60th Street approaching 5th Ave with 47 riders? An M5 on Riverside Drive with 62 passengers?Never thought I'd see the day. 

There's also currently a NG on the Q60 towards South Jamaica with 77 passengers in Sunnyside. And there's a Q102 to Astoria with 34 people on, and an M15 local with 110 riders on. Those buses are taking in quite the pressure.  

Looks like some also flocked to the express bus. There's a BxM10 in the Bronx with 52 riders onboard (non-stop portion), and an X27 bus in Downtown with 58 people onboard (and counting). 

EDIT: The X27 from above ended up getting a total of 70 people onboard. 

While the above ridership were due to a storm, it is worth noting that these were regular numbers during pre-COVID-19 era, especially during rush hours.

On 8/30/2021 at 6:24 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

MCI 3165 is tracking as 6243 on Bustime. So if you see it show up on a CP route, it's not the Xcelsior artic.

Would it make sense to compare and cross-reference data on a particular bus using BOTH Bustime and Transsee? Would that help pinpoint glitches and inconsistencies?

9 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Yup, I happened to catch a QM36 that wasn't tracking properly, so it was pretty empty, but all the other buses we passed are packed. THe X63/4/8s are especially packed, as people at Union Tpke see that the Queens Blvd subway lines are horrendous and jumped onto the bus instead. What a mess. Haven't seen it this bad in a long time.

Seems like it's repeating itself again this afternoon.

Also, in a very rare instance, there's an outbound QM10 bus with approximately 36 passengers onboard. That never happened pre-covid either. 

27 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Those B44-SBS buses are packed between Brooklyn College and Fulton St. With the (2)(5) not running along Nostrand Av, things are running slow there. 

I can imagine.

The thing that amazes me is the fact that Nostrand Avenue is still out, President Street notwithstanding.

I've seen video online of an bus still running along its route while flood water was INSIDE the bus! 

I'm surprised the bus still worked despite the interior being flooded. A Fresh Pond B/O was celebrated today in the media due to getting people home during the storm while her bus was flooded.

Edited by trainfan22

Looks like 5347 got into an accident (but didn’t get hit), as a truck hit a power line (which is barely above the bus’s HVAC system) along Heath Avenue. All Bx1s are going via the Bx3. Hopefully the people involved are okay. 

Forgot to add, there’s about 6-7 buses on this same path, 4 are abandoned currently.

Edited by NBTA