BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at the schedule checkmatechamp provided. Imagine having just missed the bus on Convent and having to wait up to 40 mins for the next one on a cold January evening? I'd walk over to St. Nich and catch the M3. The ridership couldn't've been too high. Students from CCNY probably were the 18's main patrons.

Still looking for info on M2A.

Half of the campus of CCNY faces Amsterdam anyway (so the M100/101 provide the connection to the (A)(B)(C)(D), in addition to the subway stops at Lenox and Lexington)

On top of that, CCNY has two shuttles that run to the St. Nicholas Avenue subway stations at 125th & 145th (for whatever reason, the 145th Street one seems to be more reliable).

So yeah. even the CCNY students back then probably still took alternate routes, unless they happened to see an M18 coming.

IIRC, ridership was a little over 1,000 people per day. (Something like 1,060. I can find the old numbers from that service reductions booklet they released back in 2010, but I don't feel like looking for it)

Great day down in Brooklyn by Sheepshead Bay. the BM3 took forever getting there but it wasn't all that bad. Coming back it felt really good to get a 2004 Orion VII CNG on the B4 that sounded good, like an actual bus and not a paper shredder like 90% of the low floor hybrids and other low floors do!

Great day down in Brooklyn by Sheepshead Bay. the BM3 took forever getting there but it wasn't all that bad. Coming back it felt really good to get a 2004 Orion VII CNG on the B4 that sounded good, like an actual bus and not a paper shredder like 90% of the low floor hybrids and other low floors do!

Getting to Sheepshead Bay with the BM3 is a schlepp.  It's quicker going towards Manhattan, especially if it skips the Downtown Loop.

Half of the campus of CCNY faces Amsterdam anyway (so the M100/101 provide the connection to the (A)(B)(C)(D), in addition to the subway stops at Lenox and Lexington)

On top of that, CCNY has two shuttles that run to the St. Nicholas Avenue subway stations at 125th & 145th (for whatever reason, the 145th Street one seems to be more reliable).

So yeah. even the CCNY students back then probably still took alternate routes, unless they happened to see an M18 coming.

IIRC, ridership was a little over 1,000 people per day. (Something like 1,060. I can find the old numbers from that service reductions booklet they released back in 2010, but I don't feel like looking for it)

Rarely did I come out on Amsterdam. Mostly Convent. 40 years ago the M3 ran on Convent. No Metro Cards, no free Xfers btn bus and subway. Some of us heading south walked to 125 to catch the (A), (AA), Black (B), (CC) and (D).

Getting to Sheepshead Bay with the BM3 is a schlepp.  It's quicker going towards Manhattan, especially if it skips the Downtown Loop.

it was quick in Manhattan as it skipped the downtown loop, but then it crawled through the tunnel. It flew down the Gowanus and Prospect Expwy, but then crawled along Church, CI Ave, and Cortelyou Rd.  It finally started moving again on Ocean Ave

That's what my friends in City College do now...

I would say walking from 145th to CCNY is more common than walking from 125th (even for students coming from the south). The portion of Convent you use to walk to/from 125th is more secluded, and most of the buildings are between 135th & 140th (the architecture building is the only building I can think of offhand that's south of 135th). 

Edited by checkmatechamp13

SB-From 168 St follow M3 on St Nicholas Av until 152 St turn on Convent Av until 125 St and turn left one block and right on St Nicholas Av and continue on to Manhattan Av turn left on 110 St turn right Central Park West follow M10 Route until 57 St Columbus Circle. Basically supplement route.

NB-Reversed from above.

There were 4 Q28 buses bunched at Bay Terrace, while the other two buses were going to Flushing. Those four buses are now going to Flushing, with only ONE bus going to Bay Terrace (that just left Flushing). I know someone who had to wait one hour, their bus is so packed that there are still people waiting on line. How does this happen on a bus line where buses are supposed to come every 10 minutes? I get bus bunching is horrible enough, but to have NO buses going in a single direction for one whole hour is another level. Now, people traveling to Flushing will enjoy their one hour wait as the 6 buses currently running on the bus line are all somewhere near the Flushing area, with only one of them going to Bay Terrace. The fact that none of these buses are going NIS to Bay Terrace right now really makes me wonder what the hell is going on.

Edited by R188 7857

I think someone should start a thread where posters post their incidents dealing with long gaps in service and/or any BusTime screenshots of such and find some way to present said material to higher ups within the agency. We need to call for change as transit hobbyists.

Like they say at the beginning of the Grand Prix..."Gentlemen start your engines".

Go for it J :)

Welp, I checked at around 8 and the service pattern still persisted. There were 5 buses (not bunched, but all on Northern) going towards Flushing. The only other bus on the line was 5 minutes away from Bay Terrace. Now that some of the buses have went OOS, things seem to be going back to normal bit by bit. I still would love to know what the hell happened to make bus service that horrible for 2-3 hours.... 

There were 4 Q28 buses bunched at Bay Terrace, while the other two buses were going to Flushing. Those four buses are now going to Flushing, with only ONE bus going to Bay Terrace (that just left Flushing). I know someone who had to wait one hour, their bus is so packed that there are still people waiting on line. How does this happen on a bus line where buses are supposed to come every 10 minutes? I get bus bunching is horrible enough, but to have NO buses going in a single direction for one whole hour is another level. Now, people traveling to Flushing will enjoy their one hour wait as the 6 buses currently running on the bus line are all somewhere near the Flushing area, with only one of them going to Bay Terrace. The fact that none of these buses are going NIS to Bay Terrace right now really makes me wonder what the hell is going on.

They should've deadheaded two of those Bay Terrace buses back to Flushing at the beginning, and the problem wouldn't have snowballed to the point where all the buses were clustered around Flushing.

I think someone should start a thread where posters post their incidents dealing with long gaps in service and/or any BusTime screenshots of such and find some way to present said material to higher ups within the agency. We need to call for change as transit hobbyists.

I have a bunch of screenshots saved on my computer (and I have a Facebook page called Best of MTA where I uploaded some of them)

The SI buses traveling to/from the ferry tend to bunch a lot (on 30 minute headways). And don't even get me started on the X10 on the weekends....

Actually, today, I got to the Barclay Street stop on the X17 around 3:30PM, and two X10s and an X17 came around 4:10PM.....and not a single X1 passed during that time, and actually the next one was about 10 minutes behind the bus I got on (I made the mistake of passing up the first X10, thinking it was the super-late one, when it was actually the one behind it. It didn't make much of a difference, since the two buses were right behind each other from the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel onward)

So yeah, no Staten Island-bound express buses at all for over a half hour in the middle of a Saturday (when the X1 was scheduled every 15 minutes, and the X17 was scheduled every 20 minutes). That's gotta count for something...

SB-From 168 St follow M3 on St Nicholas Av until 152 St turn on Convent Av until 125 St and turn left one block and right on St Nicholas Av and continue on to Manhattan Av turn left on 110 St turn right Central Park West follow M10 Route until 57 St Columbus Circle. Basically supplement route.

NB-Reversed from above.

I like it but instead of following the M10 route, I would send  it across 110 street to 5th ave, make a left  on 106 street to follow the M106 to its terminal.