BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

How does bus driver feedback work? I heard CS drivers had to evaluate the XD60s, if they don't like the fact that the door doesn't open inward, would they modify the doors to open inward on all the buses or just not give CS XD60s? Or would the just ignore that feedback overall?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the subways, there is a supplemental schedule that reflects service during the time change. As many know, this Sunday is also first day of the new pick. Friday is the last day of regular (Q) service to/from Astoria....

My apologies for going off topic...

Forgive me for asking this, as it may have been answered multiple times before, but what happens to subways and buses when there's a change in time.

For the subways, there is a supplemental schedule that reflects service during the time change. As many know, this Sunday is also first day of the new pick. Friday is the last day of regular (Q) service going to Astoria....

My apologies for going off topic...

Edited by SubBus

The buses all would have to use 2nd Avenue in order to get to 34 Street and 3 Avenue. Alternatively, BO's can drop off at 2 Avenue & 57 Street for anyone going to 57 Street destinations, saving them time instead of looping around. After Sandy, I remember being on the QM5, and the BO asking me if I wanted to get off at 2 Avenue & 57 Street (since I was going to 3 Avenue). 2 Avenue is generally more free-flowing than 5th Avenue, although there might be increased traffic as a result of the tunnel closure (although probably not by much), because it's much easier to spread out traffic leaving the bridge compared to leaving the tunnel. But of course, the MTA just turns a blind eye to everything that's not the subway (I'd say they turn a blind eye even to the railroads).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgive me for asking this, as it may have been answered multiple times before, but what happens to subways and buses when there's a change in time.

I would say have buses going out of Manhattan operate out of Quill but you have to get the guys to Quill via shuttle so scrap that unless you have the B/Os report to Quill but that's an unnecessary burden for them. I guess the reroute is the only option, there's no harm in trying.  

I got the XD60 again today, and the A/C was on this time. There was this weird whine that went off the whole time that the A/C was on. Wonder if it was the bus itself or if that's supposed to happen. 

It might be a combo of the bus engine and the A/C running that gives the sound. 

Edited by Jdog14

I would say have buses going out of Manhattan operate out of Quill but you have to get the guys to Quill via shuttle so scrap that unless you have the B/Os report to Quill but that's an unnecessary burden for them. I guess the reroute is the only option, there's no harm in trying.  

Even if they claim they would take the same amount of time, they can add a temporary stops on 2 Avenue at 57 Street and 50 Street for people going to destinations north of 45 Street. There might be more walking involved, but the trip is much faster than going through the tunnel, so the MTA is wrong in that regard. 

It's not even that hard to get the buses to the Queensboro: the QM2 can go via Northern Boulevard, and the rest of the routes can run via Queens Boulevard to the Queensboro Bridge instead of the normal LIE route.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

Even if they claim they would take the same amount of time, they can add a temporary stops on 2 Avenue at 57 Street and 50 Street for people going to destinations north of 45 Street. There might be more walking involved, but the trip is much faster than going through the tunnel, so the MTA is wrong in that regard. 

It's not even that hard to get the buses to the Queensboro: the QM2 can go via Northern Boulevard, and the rest of the routes can run via Queens Boulevard to the Queensboro Bridge instead of the normal LIE route.

Very simple but the MTA is dying to cut express service, Weekend and 3rd avenue are their main targets. 

I got the XD60 again today, and the A/C was on this time. There was this weird whine that went off the whole time that the A/C was on. Wonder if it was the bus itself or if that's supposed to happen.

It's the xd60 trying to follow its dad's whine (Nova LFSA)

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

So apparently, the X1 bunches a lot on Sundays. I had just missed a pair of X17s, and while I was waiting, only one X1 came along. I looked at the countdown clock (this was at Barclay Street), and saw that the X1 sign had gone blank. So I checked BusTime on my phone and saw that the nearest X1 was at the terminal at Central Park South, and after a few minutes, I checked again (to make sure there were no missing buses) and saw that the nearest bus was 30+ minutes away.

Somebody else showed up at the stop, and I told him that the nearest X1 was 30+ minutes away, and said a better idea might be to take the X10 to the S79. He said "That would take forever....then again, they made the S79 like an express now, right?" and he saw the X10 coming and said "You know what, that's not a bad idea", and ran for it.

I checked the code for the stop at Narrows Road North & Hylan and saw that he would only have to wait about 4 minutes for the S79 once he got off, but the nearest X1 was about 40 minutes behind.

When I got home, I checked the X1 on BusTime and saw that buses were coming into the Central Park South Terminal late, and that was causing the bunching. I assume since there's not much going on this weekend, that this is typical. (I guess the X1 does bunch, but on the weekdays and Saturdays, the frequency does make up for it)

But it would be nice if more people knew their alternatives. Yeah, if you missed the X10, there wasn't much you can do (except maybe take the X17 I got on down to the ETC and catch the S79 over there, depending on what part of Hylan you needed), but I'm sure there were people who could've taken the X10 to the S79 like the guy who was waiting with me, who had to wait the full 40 or so minutes for the next bus.

Personally I prefer to take the X1 going into Manhattan because of its closer proximity to Port Authority in Manhattan (via 6 Av) as opposed to the other 2 (X10/17 via Madison), although lately I've gotten off at West 4 Street and caught the 8 Avenue subway.

Another thing about the bunching is that it seems every weekend there is a parade or street fair happening on 6 Avenue @ 23 Street, forcing Express buses to detour somewhere else. Sometimes, traffic would be so backed up that I have to abandon ship (come to think of it, probably another reason I've been getting off at West 4). Just another reason why I hate coming into the city on weekends

Funny story today...

Today I decided to take the 35 home. I get off the train and check the tracker, and 677 was on its way down. Never rode it (ironic since I live at the last stop lol), so I decided to wait for it at 4 Av. Passed me in service like normal, but when it got to the end of the line, it went out of service. I said screw it and just got on the next 35.

...and then it back in service at 5 Av lmao. So now I'm stuck on the bus with 677 directly in front of me. Ended up getting off at E. 18 St and catching it

Just about all of you know about the 5th/Madison buses in Manhattan: M1,2,3&4. There also was a M2A at one time but I can't remember the route above 110/Cathedral Pkwy. Does anyone know/remember it?

Maybe it followed the old M18 route (but I think the M18 was considered more of a branch of the M3 than the M2). At one time, it went all the way down 5th/Madison Avenue to 8th Street with the other routes.

Maybe it followed the old M18 route (but I think the M18 was considered more of a branch of the M3 than the M2). At one time, it went all the way down 5th/Madison Avenue to 8th Street with the other routes.

Yep, the 2A ended at 8th St & 4th Ave on the south end. I think above 110 it followed the M1 to 116th then went over to Lenox and up to 146th but I'm just not sure enough to say that definitively. I don't know anything about an M18! Thanks for the assist.

Yep, the 2A ended at 8th St & 4th Ave on the south end. I think above 110 it followed the M1 to 116th then went over to Lenox and up to 146th but I'm just not sure enough to say that definitively. I don't know anything about an M18! Thanks for the assist.

The M18 was cut back in 2010. It ran from 110th & 5th to 168th & Audubon Avenue (the M2 terminal at the (A)(C) station basically) via Convent Avenue (it took CPN to Malcolm X to 116th in Central Harlem). I believe back in 1995 it was cut from 8th Street to 110th Street.

Here's the schedule before it was cut.

Why was M18 discontinued?

It was a victim of the 2010 service cuts.

Is the M23 becoming SBS or not??? There's nothing about the M23 SBS on the MTA Website

Yes it is. Bus lanes are laid, SBS machines are up, and buses are being wrapped. It's gonna start on the 6th.

Photos were already posted of the SBS machines in this thread a page or 2 back.

Edited by Turtle

Okay, can someone explain this to me?

B63 No service between 5 Av at 9 St and 3 Av at Atlantic Av
No service on 5 Av between 69 St and Shore Rd 

7 AM to 7 PM, Sunday, Nov 6

Due to the TCS New York City Marathon, buses operate in two sections:
1. Between Pier 6 at Atlantic Av and Atlantic Av at 3 Av
2. Between Bay Ridge Av at 5 Av and 5 Av at 9 St

Show Reroute Details
Northbound
Via 5 Av
Right on 3 Av
Right on 7 Av
Right on 9 St
Left on 5 Av and take temporary stand at 9 St

Southbound
Via 5 Av at 9 St
Left on 67 St
Right on 6 Av
Right on 69 St (Bay Ridge Av)
Right on 5 Av and take temporary stand

Isn't the marathon on 4th Avenue? I don't get why they are cutting a portion of the route thats unaffected and one of the busiest on the route...
Edited by Around the Horn

Why was M18 discontinued?

I looked at the schedule checkmatechamp provided. Imagine having just missed the bus on Convent and having to wait up to 40 mins for the next one on a cold January evening? I'd walk over to St. Nich and catch the M3. The ridership couldn't've been too high. Students from CCNY probably were the 18's main patrons.

Still looking for info on M2A.

Isn't the marathon on 4th Avenue? I don't get why they are cutting a portion of the route thats unaffected and one of the busiest on the route...

If you look at the official route map, there's a line that deviates from the original starting point after crossing the Verrazano, which looks like it follows 5th Avenue, which eventually gets back to the main route. Not sure about the purpose of that line, but it probably means that the roads the path takes will be closed.

Just about every bus line in Brooklyn is being affected by the Marathonfrom the B1 to the B70:

B1 - No service on 86 St between 4 Av and 5 Av

B11 - No service between 49 St/50 St at 5 Av and 1 Av at 58 St

B16 - No service between Ft Hamilton Pkwy at 86 St and 3 Av at 86 St

B24 - No service between Greenpoint Av at Jewel St and West St at Kent St

B25, B38/B38 LTD, B41/B41 LTD and B52

Southbound buses rerouted from Adams St at Tillary St to Fulton St

B25 - No service on Fulton St between Greene Av and DeKalb Av

B26 - No service on Fulton St between South Portland Av and Ashland Pl

B32 - No service between Long Island City and Manhattan Av

No service between Wythe Av at Broadway to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

B35/B35 LTD - No service on 39 St between 1 Av and 5 Av

B37 - Northbound buses rerouted from 3 Av at 3 St to Degraw St

B37 - No service on 4 Av between Shore Rd/Marine Av, 3 St/ Degraw St and Atlantic Av/Bergen St

B38 buses rerouted from DeKalb Av and Lafayette Av between Nostrand Av and Franklin Av

B4 - No service between Bay Ridge Pkwy at 11 Av and Narrows Av at 77 St

B43 - No service on Manhattan Av between Driggs Av and Box St

B44/B44 SBS - Northbound buses rerouted from Bedford Av at Gates Av, Lynch St and Lee Av

B45 - No service between Atlantic Av at Vanderbilt Av and Livingston St at Nevins St

B48 buses rerouted in Clinton Hill and Williamsburg

B52 - No service on Fulton St between Flatbush Av and Greene Av

B54 - Eastbound buses rerouted from Myrtle Av at Washington Av to Classon Av

B54 - No service on Myrtle Av between Nostrand Av and Skillman St

B57 - No service on Flushing Av between Franklin Av and Nostrand Av

B61 - No service on 9 St between 3 Av and 5 Av

B62 - No service between Long Island City and Williamsburg

B63 - No service between 5 Av at 9 St and 3 Av at Atlantic Av

No service on 5 Av between 69 St and Shore Rd

B64 - No service on Bay Ridge Av between 5 Av and 3 Av

B65 - No service between Bergen St at 5 Av and Smith St at Fulton St

B67 - No service between Flatbush Av at 5 Av to Sands St and Jay St