BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would agree but Ulmer isn't really setup as of now to handle them. 

IDK if it is feasible, but perhaps JG, UP, and ENY could switch some routes in order for that to happen, as follows:

JG to ENY: B8 (Newkirk Avenue short-turns)

JG to UP: B68

UP to JG: B1

ENY to UP: B82 (B82 Local only after SBS starts)

ENY to JG: Some B12 runs (after B82 SBS starts)

That is, when JG gets artics, until UP gets them 

Had a fun ride a week ago on #4175 on the Q32. The bus went from Madison and 37th all the way to Queensboro Plaza in 13 minutes. Of course, it happened at 8:15 PM and traffic was light. But it was the fastest ride I had in Manhattan on a local route.

It also helps that traffic flows better on Madison Avenue than 5th Avenue. Going from Queensboro to like 49 street takes just as long, if not, slightly longer (so going to 42 Street is still longer). 

IDK if it is feasible, but perhaps JG, UP, and ENY could switch some routes in order for that to happen, as follows:

These short turns are too few for this to happen. They also only run during the morning, not evening.

Maybe

Same as latter

Don't think this will happen in our lifetime but who knows

I'll disagree here. B12 passes right by ENY. It doesn't pass by gleason. 

That is, when JG gets artics, until UP gets them

B68 needs to go back home to Ulmer Park and the B8 back to Ulmer Park.

Leave the B12 and B82 where they belong in East New York no need for split ops.

the BxM1 went so unnecessarily off route today getting in a ton of traffic. It took the deegan to Madison Ave bridge, then 5th Ave, 106th, Lexington getting killed with 5th Ave & Harlem traffic along the way.  Could've been avoided if they just went to the Triboro or even the 3rd Ave bridge for that matter and stayed on the EAST SIDE as it is the EAST SIDE EXPRESS!!!!!!

anyway, 5th & Madison Avs get such heavy traffic that buses should only use them if they really need to.

Had a fun ride a week ago on #4175 on the Q32. The bus went from Madison and 37th all the way to Queensboro Plaza in 13 minutes. Of course, it happened at 8:15 PM and traffic was light. But it was the fastest ride I had in Manhattan on a local route.

Ride that bus on Sunday Morning, they'll go flying.

And most buses don't run the full route on the B1. Headways for riders traveling west of the (Q) is not worth artics.

86th street in Brooklyn is similar to 86th street in Manhattan... Lots of people traveling for shopping, etc., so the headways don't tell the whole story.  Artics would be a good thing for the B1.  After the buses empty out at Brighton Beach the B1 connects to other subway lines that all terminate at Coney Island. Additionally it serves Coney Island Hospital, one of the few hospitals in that area of South Brooklyn, so you have all sorts of bases for the ridership, not just KCC students.  

Sounds like a regular day on the Q44 lol

Welp, anyone traveling towards Jamaica is kinda screwed. The 6 (soon to be 7) buses aren't moving and the last bus that left for Jamaica is at Flushing.

EDIT: Service alert just popped up.

I hope some buses go straight to Queens to start service, they better close that service gap between Flushing & Bronx Zoo...

n/b Q44SBS buses are running with delays, due to a road obstruction at Hugh Grant Circle. Allow additional travel time.
Edited by R188 7857

the BxM1 went so unnecessarily off route today getting in a ton of traffic. It took the deegan to Madison Ave bridge, then 5th Ave, 106th, Lexington getting killed with 5th Ave & Harlem traffic along the way.  Could've been avoided if they just went to the Triboro or even the 3rd Ave bridge for that matter and stayed on the EAST SIDE as it is the EAST SIDE EXPRESS!!!!!!

anyway, 5th & Madison Avs get such heavy traffic that buses should only use them if they really need to.

Actually that is the same routing that the BxM2 takes and it does so because the East Side is even worse.  5th can be congested too, but Lexington can be worse.  The best routing seems to be 5th down to 96th for the BxM1 and then 96th to Lex OR taking 2nd Avenue all the way down to 96th and then coming over to Lex that way.   They've also been avoiding the Deegan for the most part as it has been a mess.  I've seen BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 buses all going via Broadway and via Inwood to get to the Harlem River Drive. I even saw a Super Express BxM3 taking Broadway and then going through Inwood.  Was a real sight, but every now and then BxM3 buses will travel via Inwood as well.  On Lex I think a lot of congestion is due to that stupid CVS on 97th with the trucks double parked, along with the gazillion buses pulling in and out of Tuskegee Depot from other depots, or buses parking all over Lex. making for narrower lanes.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

What the hell can explain why there are 6 Q44s bunched together in the same location in the Bronx right now? A crash?? (All this info was from BusTime)

Welp, anyone traveling towards Jamaica is kinda screwed. The 6 (soon to be 7) buses aren't moving and the last bus that left for Jamaica is at Flushing.

EDIT: Service alert just popped up.

I hope some buses go straight to Queens to start service, they better close that service gap between Flushing & Bronx Zoo...

That, unfortunately, is the norm for the Q44. Parkchester screws up the line the most. I hate that part of the line the most.

That, unfortunately, is the norm for the Q44. Parkchester screws up the line the most. I hate that part of the line the most.

I'd say the Jamaica section is pretty bad too. Usually there's 5 buses at the terminal that don't leave for 10-20 minutes, then all of them leave within 5-10 minutes and end up bunching together. It's pretty annoying when 2 buses leave, and the next is half an hour away (especially at times where buses are supposed to come every 6 or so mins).

Hopefully the M23 benefits from this. Ridership on that route has tanked in recent years. All the time I was down by 23rd Street during my Baruch years I did not step foot on the M23 once and never even considered it for that matter. That goes to show you where that route was (or could be) heading.

Today an RTS flagged people on the B42... you know crowding is bad when you get flagged on a HF bus, and this was midday! 

Speaking of RTS, every ENY route by me had at least one running on it during the midday (B17, B42 and B82) always a pleasant sight to see more RTSs out and about on ENY routes  :D  just like the old days  B-)

Saw this on 23 St today:
1477687573920_zpsurecxtt0.jpg

The SBS map is also installed, at least on 2 Av.

I guess we know where CS Nova Artics are heading... looks like at least some of them will be for the M23 SBS.

Hopefully the M23 benefits from this. Ridership on that route has tanked in recent years. All the time I was down by 23rd Street during my Baruch years I did not step foot on the M23 once and never even considered it for that matter. That goes to show you where that route was (or could be) heading.

Its good for occasional small crosstown trips...

I sometimes use it to go between the High Line near 10th Avenue and Madison Square Park or the (R) train. It gets a pretty good load, particularly on weekends.

Speaking of the Q44, its route description on Bustime is: "Select Bus Service via Main St / Cross Bronx Svc Rd (Q20 Limited)"

Has the Q44 ever been internally designated as a Q20 variant?

I dont know about internally but I believe the description on the back of the Queens bus map used to say that a long while ago.