BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MTA posted some special "The Day after Thanksgiving" and "MLK Day" express bus schedules: http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/SpecialBusSchedules_11_2016.htm#Bronx

Interesting... Most of these are Saturday schedules with a few exceptions.  That BxM18 schedule kind of sucks in the morning though, but that last bus I could probably get, so it isn't so bad since I work on Martin Luther King Jr.  It's an optional day for us, but I'm always busy that day.  I also like there's a Black Friday schedule.  Lots of folks will use the BxM18 for shopping Downtown.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Lol, that reduced schedule gives me later service in to Midtown (although service to Queens ends early, however I'm not worry about that because I don't expect to be out that late).

Interesting how the none of the NYCT Express routes have a reduced schedule.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

Lol, that reduced schedule gives me later service in to Midtown (although service to Queens ends early, however I'm not worry about that because I don't expect to be out that late).

Interesting how the none of the NYCT Express routes have a reduced schedule.

They may have... Just not an official one... They should though.  When I lived on Staten Island, working on MLK was annoying because we never knew when an express bus was scheduled. 

They may have... Just not an official one... They should though.  When I lived on Staten Island, working on MLK was annoying because we never knew when an express bus was scheduled. 

Nowadays with BusTime, you can see the time the buses are scheduled to depart the terminal, and get an idea from there.

For example, IIRC, the S62's reduced weekday schedule has it leaving Travis every 15 minutes until 9PM (as opposed to every 20 like the regular weekday evening schedule)

I agree it would be nice if they released the actual schedule. People do have places to get to on time, and it's not right for them to miss their bus because it came 5-10 minutes before it was normally scheduled.

At least they're doing it for the MTA Bus Lines. That's a start...

Nowadays with BusTime, you can see the time the buses are scheduled to depart the terminal, and get an idea from there.

For example, IIRC, the S62's reduced weekday schedule has it leaving Travis every 15 minutes until 9PM (as opposed to every 20 like the regular weekday evening schedule)

I agree it would be nice if they released the actual schedule. People do have places to get to on time, and it's not right for them to miss their bus because it came 5-10 minutes before it was normally scheduled.

Well, I believe that's only because the service was slashed significantly for that day. Most routes have headways of 6-15 minutes, but now are seeing headways of 60 minutes (and the times of the last buses have been changed by up to 30 minutes before or after the regularly schedule timed). Last year, all those Queens expresses ran on their regular schedule. The Bronx expresses ran on a Saturday schedule, so the schedules are almost the same as last year. The only difference is that the BxM18 is running on those days now (last year, the BxM18 was not operating).

I want to know if these schedules are going to be distributed on buses.

Using BusTime for that purpose is hit or miss.  

Well, I believe that's only because the service was slashed significantly for that day. Most routes have headways of 6-15 minutes, but now are seeing headways of 60 minutes (and the times of the last buses have been changed by up to 30 minutes before or after the regularly schedule timed). Last year, all those Queens expresses ran on their regular schedule. The Bronx and Riverdale expresses ran on a Saturday schedule, so the schedules are almost the same as last year. The only difference is that the BxM18 is running on those days now (last year, the BxM18 was not operating).

I want to know if these schedules are going to be distributed on buses.

Well there is no sense in running so much service if it won't be used.  Union Turnpike still maintains 30 minute headways for the QM5 and QM6, plus the QM1 will be running.  The QM2 and QM20 will also run for the folks in Bay Terrace.

Using BusTime for that purpose is hit or miss.  

Well there is no sense in running so much service if it won't be used.  Union Turnpike still maintains 30 minute headways for the QM5 and QM6, plus the QM1 will be running.  The QM2 and QM20 will also run for the folks in Bay Terrace.

The combined headways are 30 minutes, but they're not evenly distributed.

The QM5 and QM6 inbound run 8 minutes from each other west of 188 Street, leading to a 8/52 headway. It's more even in the outbound direction, with a 20/40 headway. The QM2 and QM20 leave Bay Terrace at the exact same times, so one would have to pick on or the other. By the time the buses get to Flushing for the last pick-up, they're 1-3 minutes from each other, which is also uneven. The QM2 and QM20 outbound are 15 minutes from each other (I consider a 20/40 headway the most it can be before it I deem it uneven). Even for me, the BM5 and QM15 inbound pass from 7-10 minutes from each other (although the outbound headway is more even on the on way back, in certain areas, but not by much). They didn't even make the 3rd and 6 Avenue buses pass on an even headway (combined). The QM10 and QM12 outbound pass within 5 minutes of each other (the QM40 and QM42 pass within 10 minutes of each other).

The only pair that has even headways (to a certain degree), is the QM7 & QM8.

The combined headways are 30 minutes, but they're not evenly distributed.

The QM5 and QM6 inbound run 8 minutes from each other west of 188 Street, leading to a 8/52 headway. It's more even in the outbound direction, with a 20/40 headway. The QM2 and QM20 leave Bay Terrace at the exact same times, so one would have to pick on or the other. By the time the buses get to Flushing for the last pick-up, they're 1-3 minutes from each other, which is also uneven. The QM2 and QM20 outbound are 15 minutes from each other (I consider a 20/40 headway the most it can be before it I deem it uneven). Even for me, the BM5 and QM15 inbound pass from 7-10 minutes from each other (although the outbound headway is more even on the on way back, in certain areas, but not by much). They didn't even make the 3rd and 6 Avenue buses pass on an even headway (combined). The QM10 and QM12 outbound pass within 5 minutes of each other (the QM40 and QM42 pass within 10 minutes of each other).

The only pair that has even headways (to a certain degree), is the QM7 & QM8.

The

I'm sorry but if you guys don't use your service for 30 minute headways or more, then I see no point in running buses on 30 minute headways just because.  You know I'm a defender of express buses, but at the same time they're still running on hourly headways.  It's better than nothing.  

I'm sorry but if you guys don't use your service for 30 minute headways or more, then I see no point in running buses on 30 minute headways just because.  You know I'm a defender of express buses, but at the same time they're still running on hourly headways.  It's better than nothing.  

I never said anything previously about whether or not its justified or not. I personally think that they're being generous with the service provided in some cases. I'm talking about the distribution of the headways. 30 minute combined headways are fine, but at the very least distribute the headways as even as possible. Besides the QM7 & QM8, none of the pairs are running on an evenly (more or less) distributed combined headway of 30 minutes. 

I never said anything previously about whether or not its justified or not. I personally think that they're being generous with the service provided in some cases. I'm talking about the distribution of the headways. 30 minute combined headways are fine, but at the very least distribute the headways as even as possible. Besides the QM7 & QM8, none of the pairs are running on an evenly (more or less) distributed combined headway of 30 minutes. 

Well I'm just saying... You can't have it both ways... Besides, people generally don't like waiting for long periods of time for a bus during the AM rush so I think the headways make sense on Union Turnpike.  As for the QM2 and QM20, I'm sure those folks will get whatever bus they need.  I mean when I use the QM2 I know that I need to be at the stop early because those buses tend to run hot.  We're talking about areas where people normally drive anyway so it's not that big of a deal.  A lot of Queens is not only suburban but also more car centric than other areas with express bus service, and that certainly affects usage.

That route doesn't even come close to pulling the loads that the other routes do. I agree with ATH. Yeah, more than 2K per weekday is decent for the service levels it has, but the route isn't even that utilized. You can have SRO buses, but that's about it.

Then you have areas like Bay Ridge, where the bus makes almost every stop. Eliminating stops won't do much of anything to reduce the amount of buses used (and would rather piss off people too). Even the B63 (which has about 5 times the ridership of the B37) doesn't make a good candidate, because of similar reasons (there's also the issue of 5 Avenue being too narrow in sections to even have a bus lane). The B37 as it is still pretty fast anyway.

You have a point. In an effort to renew interest, is it feasible to have it start at City Hall as a LTD variant (weekdays & eve's). While it may be underutilized now I'm sure some (L) riders will sink their swipes into anything viable.

It's fast. Given the existing nature of buses, that's a commendable remark.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

The 4th Av section was called Pacific St, whereas the Brighton and IRT sections was called Atlantic Av. Eventually they were all unified to Atlantic Av-Pacific St.

Once Barclays Center opened up, they brought naming rights to the station and turned it into Atlantic Av-Barclays Center

The B37 already has SBS...it's called the (R) train.

That's why I suggested it initially. The (R) has a history with the neighborhood that has been unpleasant, and for some that's their ONLY option. In addition to the 2019 (L) shutdown, I brought this forward because top brass has stated that they won't do a study for the (R) until the 2nd Avenue Subway opens.

If I were a resident on the 4th Avenue corridor, I'd say that's not fair.

50-Cent-Laughing-and-Driving-Away.gif

Mine too. [emoji23]

You have a point. In an effort to renew interest, is it feasible to have it start at City Hall as a LTD variant (weekdays & eve's). While it may be underutilized now I'm sure some (L) riders will sink their swipes into anything viable.

It's fast. Given the existing nature of buses, that's a commendable remark.

That's why I suggested it initially. The (R) has a history with the neighborhood that has been unpleasant, and for some that's their ONLY option. In addition to the 2019 (L) shutdown, I brought this forward because top brass has stated that they won't do a study for the (R) until the 2nd Avenue Subway opens.

Mine too. [emoji23]

What does the B37 have to do with the (L) ?

Extending the B37 to City Hall isn't going to do anything to rectrfy the issue of (R) trains. That is more of a subway issue; the (R) needs to be more reliable.

I saw 7368 at Westchester Square yesterday. Any particular reason it could be up there? It still had the CS stickers on so I don't think it was a move.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Either to Zerega or the Cummins facility which isn't that far from Westchester square.

Extending the B37 to City Hall isn't going to do anything to rectrfy the issue of (R) trains. That is more of a subway issue; the (R) needs to be more reliable.

I agree with BM5 here. Also the B63 by far is considered the alternative to the (R) not the B37. The vast majority of (R) train ridership comes from east of 4th Avenue not west of 4th Avenue, except in northern Bay Ridge and the southern portion of Sunset Park where the B4 feeds 77th Street, the B9 and B64 feed Bay Ridge Avenue, the B9 feeds 59 Street and the B11 feeds 53 Street. Walking an additional block to 3rd Avenue and then potentially waiting 20-30 for the bus to show up is not preferable to walking one less block and waiting at most 12 minutes for the B63, even if you won't get a seat. If anything, limited service on the B63 would be a better investment, (but I still don't think it's good investment) 

By far, the B63 is used over the B37 for short haul trips within neighborhoods (in the last few months, I've used it from Bay Ridge Av to 47th Street, 86th Street multiple times, 92nd Street and 82nd Street) and whenever the (R) is messed up. Now that JG is getting XN60s soon, I hope they will put a few on the B63 to handle crowds.

The (L) and B37 serve completely different areas. In any case you can't really feasibly have it start at City Hall because the Brooklyn Bridge prohibits buses, and it'd be too unreliable anyways. Even with the (R) being unreliable as it is, it's more reliable than a bus crossing the river.