BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

11 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Even if the S93 warranted artics, it's nothing short of stupid to suggest interlining the B35 with the S93 for that purpose....

I'd want no part of all this mixing & matching (local fleet on express routes or vice versa) either way.... The whole thing to me reeks of desperation.... Yes, a bus is a bus at the end of the day, but at the same time, funds were spent on these MCI's & Prevosts for a specific purpose.....

Just because you can run MCI's/Prevosts over local routes, doesn't mean you should....

It all comes down to that concept of treating the S93 like its primary ridership base is CSI students, which as you know (while they do make up a decent-sized portion), there's plenty of S93 riders who are using the S93 for other purposes.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yes, a bus is a bus at the end of the day, but at the same time, funds were spent on these MCI's & Prevosts for a specific purpose.....

Just because you can run MCI's/Prevosts over local routes, doesn't mean you should....

Indeed Valid point. 

6 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Gotcha. I was wondering.  The driver yesterday drove S89 both  MCI's and LFA's so the base pay had to be the same.. Do drivers do both Local and Express Routes?

Yes but not everyone will, there are alot of runs that have local and express in them on the same day. 

29 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Earlier I saw an M14 bus to 8th Ave. Not a M14A/D. Just a plain old M14. I don't think that a regular M14 ever existed.

It's pretty much the short turn code, for when the bus stays wholly on 14th Street, and doesn't serve their particular branches. You'll see it mostly when the L is out in the city.

I don't wanna post this in the Advocacy Group because idk if it's a good idea, but yesterday in the Staten Island express group page, someone posted video of about 50+ buses waiting to get into the tunnel during the PM rush, stuck in standstill traffic. 

Would it be possible to build a yard for Staten Island buses (and possibly express buses around the city), to house buses midday so drivers can pick them up in the city and return them to their respective depots in the PM rush? Would that also cut down on gas and how the run pays? I don't want drivers salaries getting cut, but at least it would be more efficient in terms of mileage. 

I already know a few express buses stay at Quill during the day, but whatever buses drivers pick up at the depot during the PM rush, they can pick up at this yard in the city. Where in the city would they build this? There's a piece of land by the UN that was being talked about if Manhattanville were to close, but since its not, maybe that? Or maybe build a something similar to the old Edgewater Depot on a giant pier? On the Upper West Side since most buses start at 57th. 

Drivers can report to Staten Island, and then they can travel in groups of 50+ on say 3-4 buses. I'm guessing they would have to report earlier to get on the bus, and then when they're in the city, they'll have a place to lounge at that yard until the start of their trip. Also, since there would be limited buses heading into the city coming from Staten Island, could perhaps the ferry help transport those buses to the city using the boats that used to carry cars to carry those buses and drivers? It would be strictly MTA buses so safety wouldn't be a concern. I don't know weight limits on those boats but I'm just throwing something out there.

I don't know the traffic conditions for the Bronx and Queens, but maybe them and Ulmer Park can do the same in terms of having drivers all head into the city in say 1 or 2 buses? 

Anyone can help clarify if its possible or not.  

15 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I know they are and it's a terrible practice. These express buses can't serve the people paying $13.00 a day to get to and from work - we have people on the verge of being fired because they are LATE every day because they're running on local lines that have plenty of buses.  It's crazy.  I already spoke with road ops about Baisley Park doing this crap.  They had local buses running on the QM4 during rush hour with people paying $6.50 to sit on hard seats. Road ops agrees with me.  I'll speak with them about this as well.

The people suggesting this aren't the ones suffering. It's the people trying to provide for their families that are.

In the case of Baisley, apparently they have one bus out for a rebuild, but 2-3 of their hand me down 2800 MCIs crapped out at the same time. They had no choice but to put the hybrid out, and to lessen the blow whether it was the QM4/44 or the QM21 they didn’t collect fare. They finally have two of the hand me downs back up and running but one of them is still out. They just sent another 2800 from eastchester to fill in for that bus so they’re only down one now so hybrids haven’t been popping up anymore. But riders had a fair point, they called Baisley the step child depot and its true. Although I like the 2800s, it’s hard on the depot maintence wise. It’s also the traffic problem on 6th and 57th. Bus lanes are basically non-existent causing buses to get back to the depot late which reduces the options of handoffs between operators, or simply trying to get from 57th/3rd down to 36th/6th for a trip back. My guy got to 164th around 30 minutes late. He had 35 minutes to get from 164th to 38th/3rd for the Qm44 and he got there 10 minutes late. It’s also the matter of an ambitious schedule on the drivers. He drove straight from 164th all the way to the city, picked up and drove straight back to Queens. He had the bus running 4 hours straight, which I’m not sure if it could be a problem, but I don’t know how these buses are speced and how that can effect them. But there are a bunch of little things that end up screwing over the lines. 

1 hour ago, Q64 To Forest Hills said:

In the case of Baisley, apparently they have one bus out for a rebuild, but 2-3 of their hand me down 2800 MCIs crapped out at the same time. They had no choice but to put the hybrid out, and to lessen the blow whether it was the QM4/44 or the QM21 they didn’t collect fare. They finally have two of the hand me downs back up and running but one of them is still out. They just sent another 2800 from eastchester to fill in for that bus so they’re only down one now so hybrids haven’t been popping up anymore. But riders had a fair point, they called Baisley the step child depot and its true. Although I like the 2800s, it’s hard on the depot maintence wise. It’s also the traffic problem on 6th and 57th. Bus lanes are basically non-existent causing buses to get back to the depot late which reduces the options of handoffs between operators, or simply trying to get from 57th/3rd down to 36th/6th for a trip back. My guy got to 164th around 30 minutes late. He had 35 minutes to get from 164th to 38th/3rd for the Qm44 and he got there 10 minutes late. It’s also the matter of an ambitious schedule on the drivers. He drove straight from 164th all the way to the city, picked up and drove straight back to Queens. He had the bus running 4 hours straight, which I’m not sure if it could be a problem, but I don’t know how these buses are speced and how that can effect them. But there are a bunch of little things that end up screwing over the lines. 

Of course it’s hard. Those buses are over 16 years old and were beat to hell on Staten Island. It seems inexcusable for them to be running those 2800s so frequently given how many other newer buses they have. They only have THREE express bus lines. Two out of the three are weekday peak only routes, and the QM4 is hourly on weekends. I spoke with my contact about this which is why this was addressed and that bus was transferred over. We will be discussing maintenance and the feet in depth with the (MTA) at our upcoming meeting, and I intend to discuss it with the Comptrollers’ Office at our upcoming meeting as well. If they cannot get their act together, I’m going to ask the Comptrollers’ Office to do an audit to see just where they are at three years after the first audit was done on express bus service.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 minute ago, trainfan22 said:

They have the same schedule as the trains do, but B/O don't follow it cause obviously the bus can't keep up with the train schedule.

There was an L shuttle bus every 1-3 minutes. Maybe it was for extra capacity since a train can hold much more people than a bus.

Just now, trainfan22 said:

IDK that's a what B/O posted on one of these transit message boards many years ago in regards to shuttle bus schedules lol

Mabye people got tired waiting for a shuttle bus just to be cramed because a bus can't hold as much as a train could.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:03 AM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I don't wanna post this in the Advocacy Group because idk if it's a good idea, but yesterday in the Staten Island express group page, someone posted video of about 50+ buses waiting to get into the tunnel during the PM rush, stuck in standstill traffic. 

Would it be possible to build a yard for Staten Island buses (and possibly express buses around the city), to house buses midday so drivers can pick them up in the city and return them to their respective depots in the PM rush? Would that also cut down on gas and how the run pays? I don't want drivers salaries getting cut, but at least it would be more efficient in terms of mileage. 

I already know a few express buses stay at Quill during the day, but whatever buses drivers pick up at the depot during the PM rush, they can pick up at this yard in the city. Where in the city would they build this? There's a piece of land by the UN that was being talked about if Manhattanville were to close, but since its not, maybe that? Or maybe build a something similar to the old Edgewater Depot on a giant pier? On the Upper West Side since most buses start at 57th. 

Drivers can report to Staten Island, and then they can travel in groups of 50+ on say 3-4 buses. I'm guessing they would have to report earlier to get on the bus, and then when they're in the city, they'll have a place to lounge at that yard until the start of their trip. Also, since there would be limited buses heading into the city coming from Staten Island, could perhaps the ferry help transport those buses to the city using the boats that used to carry cars to carry those buses and drivers? It would be strictly MTA buses so safety wouldn't be a concern. I don't know weight limits on those boats but I'm just throwing something out there.

I don't know the traffic conditions for the Bronx and Queens, but maybe them and Ulmer Park can do the same in terms of having drivers all head into the city in say 1 or 2 buses? 

Anyone can help clarify if its possible or not.  

More than a few actually stay at Quill. For all the others, they lay over at other places in Manhattan. Operators with split shifts or that have runs that aren’t interlined with off peak runs return to their respective depots. 

16 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Question: Do Subway Shuttles have a schedule? Or do they just show up whenever they want? 

16 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

They have the same schedule as the trains do, but B/O don't follow it cause obviously the bus can't keep up with the train schedule.

Subway shuttles actually do not have base schedules at all. Operators have a report time and they line up. Buses pull off as they fill if. If one does not fill up by a certain time, dispatch will send it out anyway so there isn’t any major gaps in the line. They are the ones who say when the next bus pulls off, and it is at their sole discretion. Notice there is always a dispatcher at the front of the line for any and all subway shuttles.

Edited by East New York

I know that bus bunching is inevitable, but it's unbelievable that GA can't even run the B32 properly anymore. At some point in the day, the damn thing bunches, meaning everyone is getting hourly service. This happens virtually every weekend now, and it's starting to spill over on weekdays.

It can't be traffic, because the streets are generally free-flowing. There's some traffic on Broadway, but not to the point where buses should be running together while on 30 minute headways. The Pulaski Bridge has not been closed either (or has not been closed daily). Something has to give. They're apparently suppose to get the Q58 soon. Give me a break...

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

12 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I know that bus bunching is inevitable, but it's unbelievable that GA can't even run the B32 properly anymore. At some point in the day, the damn thing bunches, meaning everyone is getting hourly service. This happens virtually every weekend now, and it's starting to spill over on weekdays.

It can't be traffic, because the streets are generally free-flowing. There's some traffic on Broadway, but not to the point where buses should be running together while on 30 minute headways. The Pulaski Bridge has not been closed either (or has not been closed daily). Something has to give.

Not sure if you should just go blaming the depot itself, it's up to road control / central console to handle it, and those personal may be from other depots and locations.

18 minutes ago, trife86 said:

Not sure if you should just go blaming the depot itself, it's up to road control / central console to handle it, and those personal may be from other depots and locations.

I would understand if it was isolated, but it's not just that route in particular. All routes from GA tend to run like crap, more than the other respective depots. The biggest offender IMO is the Q59. As a type this, there's only two eastbound buses, both in the Maspeth area. The B62 is a close second. 

The B32 was the only route for a few years now, that was rather reliable. Now even that's going out the door.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven