BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

17 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I would understand if it was isolated, but it's not just that route in particular. All routes from GA tend to run like crap, more than the other respective depots. The biggest offender IMO is the Q59. As a type this, there's only two eastbound buses, both in the Maspeth area. The B62 is a close second. 

The B32 was the only route for a few years now, that was rather reliable. Now even that's going out the door.

I think one of those buses may have possibly been a bus coming on the route, and then another bus that was gonna run off. Then after a certain point one of them returns back to the depot or starts a second half. I've seen this myself back in February (though someone with more knowledge would know better)

I also believe the location of the depot itself is a hindrance because many times the area around the depot is clogged up with trucks. 

Edited by Jdog14

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The B32 and most GA runs have Interlines with others. If something happens on one line and there’s a run-off to the the next line, it’s inevitably going to be late and have to play catch up. If an op gets to then end of the line and has to take a personal for a emergency bathroom break they get up to 15 minutes. 

There may also be other issues with this like that need to be analyzed and addressed. 

1 hour ago, East New York said:

The B32 and most GA runs have Interlines with others. If something happens on one line and there’s a run-off to the the next line, it’s inevitably going to be late and have to play catch up. If an op gets to then end of the line and has to take a personal for a emergency bathroom break they get up to 15 minutes. 

There may also be other issues with this like that need to be analyzed and addressed. 

20 minutes good sir

- Lol, I've seen much worse than that screenshot on the Brewer corridor alone....

- Grand av is where routes go to shrivel up & eventually die....

- The Q58 going to Grand, is like Lebron going to the Lakers... Oh, wait :mellow:

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I would understand if it was isolated, but it's not just that route in particular. All routes from GA tend to run like crap, more than the other respective depots. The biggest offender IMO is the Q59. As a type this, there's only two eastbound buses, both in the Maspeth area. The B62 is a close second. 

The B32 was the only route for a few years now, that was rather reliable. Now even that's going out the door.

Not that this is some type of accomplishment, but my vote's for the B62....

The Q59 is a glorified supplement & I never really expected that much from it (AFAIC, the Q58 doesn't need a supplement)... The B62 OTOH is the result of a split & has only gotten worse since it got split.... You'd think the B62 would perform a little better with [the B57, increasingly, being more sought after over the B62 b/w the Farragut houses & Downtown Brooklyn] & [that the B32 has taken pax. off the B62 b/w LIC & Greenpoint], but, nothing doing.....

Hell, I was over in QBP this past weekend & lucked out & saw a B62 making the turn onto Broadway (after having came off a B46) towards QBP; I was actually gunning for the B32.... Last saturday morning was windy as hell..... Anyway, if I'm actually trying to get somewhere (meaning, non-fanning purposes), I don't seek out the B62.... For years now, I've been privy to buses arriving in packs at Queens Plaza - to experience all but one of them go OOS & DH immediately after, with the remaining bus set to make a trip back towards Downtown on an epic layover at the terminal...

I don't take public buses coming home from work anymore, but when I used to do the whole (F) > walk to the > B32 > B46 (after stopping off in Jamaica to pick up some stuff), it more or less came every 1/2 hour like it was s'posed to.... But as of the past couple months (on saturdays), I have also been seeing bunched B32's & even benefited from it a couple times..... Sad to hear that the B32's reliability is further going to shit....

Edited by B35 via Church

5 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I know that bus bunching is inevitable, but it's unbelievable that GA can't even run the B32 properly anymore. At some point in the day, the damn thing bunches, meaning everyone is getting hourly service. This happens virtually every weekend now, and it's starting to spill over on weekdays.

It can't be traffic, because the streets are generally free-flowing. There's some traffic on Broadway, but not to the point where buses should be running together while on 30 minute headways. The Pulaski Bridge has not been closed either (or has not been closed daily). Something has to give. They're apparently suppose to get the Q58 soon. Give me a break...

Is the Q58 rumor even true??? Honestly, I cannot see the Q58 which stops and starts in front of Fresh Pond heading to Grand Avenue.

Grand Avenue is zero and everything since acquiring other depot bus lines.  Just seen a caravan of 3 (B47) buses heading to Kings Plaza on the 11PM hour on a Tuesday night.. Beautiful you ask.. 

Can the (MTA) hurry up and build another depot in Brooklyn to deal with Grand Avenue or snatch Spring Creek from the Queens Division and back to the Brooklyn Division. (Hopefully the latter part happens during the Brooklyn re-design) Honestly, SC belongs in the Brooklyn Division and buses have Brooklyn Bus Maps.

The Staten Island express bus fleet is about to go through so much wear and tear with this new redesign. The amount of weight them buses are pulling with standing loads, shiett. 

Also, did the MTA decide to number the 2011 Nova LFS  2011 Orion VII 4Gs because they figured those two would win between the three during the BT&E evaluations? 

That way any option orders would run up the 7000s and 8000s following the original 90 as buses are currently doing? 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Random though....... Things will never be the same.....

The last run of a champ. 4983 was pulled out of the scrap line for one last hoorah.... I rode her brand new out of ENY. Built in September 1998, she just turned 20 years old last month. 

Got to spend the evening with her on my home line. Was very poetic, and with one of my good friends at that. This will likely be his last time driving an ENY original, and she will be retired in the morning. 

And this bus is FAST!!!! Headed to the scrapper in excellent condition. 😢 Farewell to the Rapid Transit Series. The most legendary and longest lasting bus ever built. To this day, this was the favorite bus ever tested at Altoona and still holds the record of most reliable product ever tested. 

Edited by East New York

41 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I'm on 2882 on the S89 now, A guy gets on at the ETC and askes me of the bus was going to 34th Street Manhattan. I told him that he needed the SIM1C or SIM4C. Guess he saw a coach bus and assumed that it was going to Manhattan.

More likely that the guy saw "34th St" on the coach bus sign and took that bus even though it was going to the HBLR terminal there.

19 minutes ago, mine248 said:

More likely that the guy saw "34th St" on the coach bus sign and took that bus even though it was going to the HBLR terminal there.

Probably, I think he got confused when he saw $2.75 taken off his MetroCard instead of $6.50.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Probably, I think he got confused when he saw $2.75 taken off his MetroCard instead of $6.50.

Hopefully he didn't need a transfer after that (since if he took the SIM1C/4C, it would just charge him the extra $3.75). Granted, with the new transfer policy, you can take a local bus to a SIM bus, and get a 3rd transfer, but only at certain Downtown subway stations.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

On 10/25/2018 at 11:42 PM, East New York said:

The last run of a champ. 4983 was pulled out of the scrap line for one last hoorah.... I rode her brand new out of ENY. Built in September 1998, she just turned 20 years old last month. 

And this bus is FAST!!!! Headed to the scrapper in excellent condition. 😢 Farewell to the Rapid Transit Series. The most legendary and longest lasting bus ever built. To this day, this was the favorite bus ever tested at Altoona and still holds the record of most reliable product ever tested. 

Why scrap it if it’s still in excellent condition?