Stranded straphangers begin drive to bring back bus service to Queens

Shortline Bus

Is it necessary you have to imitate the person who uses those one-word responses? We all know that person is a certified jerk, so unless you really want to adapt those one-word responses as your "catch phrase" then we'll have no choice but to label you a certified jerk as well.

You're defending the express buses like you can afford to ride them like Via Garibaldi 8 can, when you said yourself you cannot afford them. It's one thing to defend the premium service if you're a regular user like VG8, or even an occasional user as I am, but to go on and defend all of the routes is just juvenile. We get it, you hate the subway, you hate the (V) train and R32s...good for you. I don't like the new (M) train but you don't see me ranting about it (or at least not like I used to)....

Calm down and relax. It's not that serious, it's just trains and buses for crying out loud!

Just to be clear, I defend local buses too. ;) But yeah ¡Viva MCI! LOL

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to be clear, I defend local buses too. B) But yeah ¡Viva MCI! LOL

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

You guys know me as amongst one of the hugest defenders of the Staten Island bus network. But I don't let my feelings override my ability of thinking intellectually, whether I'm discussing trains, buses or other things.

you do realize that logic only works on some queens express bus routes right. This problem doesn't apply to any staten island or bronx routes. Not even brooklyn. Queens the only ones that will get cut are the X and QM3 and maybe 18

Here is a website with data for all of the MTA Bus express routes: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aha-LfXMlWNBdHd4QkhLRF92cURWNWdSbzNfSjJwWWc&hl=en#gid=1

Most of the routes are poor-performing on the weekends, not the weekdays. Let's say poor-performing routes cost more than $12 per passenger to operate. That leaves the QM1/5/6, QM4, QM15, and all of the BM routes. Out of those, I would save the QM5 and QM6, and they would become more cost-efficient as a result of the elimination of the QM1.

That, plus the QM2 doesn't perform well on Sundays.

1) And define what is a "bunch"?? The ones that are left, which quite frankly aren't that many with low ridership, most of them serve relatively isolated areas with poor local bus service. So let's cut the express buses but of course there will be no improvements in local bus service, which means no service period. Let's not improve service anywhere. Let's slash as much as possible so we can keep fares low. That seems to be your theory, regardless of the impact felt by those who lose their service. In Brooklyn all you have is the BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4 and BM5 (excluding the X27/X28, which DO have high ridership). I would say you could cut the BM4 and BM5. The other three are needed, even though I wouldn't be wild about cutting the BM4 because it serves a relatively isolated Gerritsen Beach. I can't see there being that many QM lines with low ridership, and not many BXMs with low ridership either, so what lines specifically are you referring to??

2) Oh please. Don't try to switch it to just express buses. You've been advocating for slashing local buses too, which is ridiculous. How do you expect people to get around in a city that is NOT car dependent overall?

3) Yeah, that's what you want, and you'll argue that until you're blue in face. It's okay to give people a free ride while leaving entire communities without any sort of quick alternative and in some cases without any transportation service at all. I see the "logic" in that. So let those people without any service (local or express) pay more to get around (be it by driving or taking car service) and so forth so that others can hop on and get a free ride.

4) Uh yeah, that's exactly the point. You keep cutting and people will just say f*ck it. Why bother to ride.

1) Define "poor" local service. All of those areas have a somewhat frequent local bus nearby.

2) Yeah, but the focus is more on reducing express bus service. The same way your main focus is on saving express buses, with a small focus on local buses.

3) All of those areas would still have service. They wouldn't have direct service to Manhattan, but they would still have fairly frequent local service to Manhattan.

4) Most of those people who switched are people who decided to walk to their destination. The vast majority of riders would still be taking transit.

Most of the routes are poor-performing on the weekends, not the weekdays. Let's say poor-performing routes cost more than $12 per passenger to operate. That leaves the QM1/5/6, QM4, QM15, and all of the BM routes. Out of those, I would save the QM5 and QM6, and they would become more cost-efficient as a result of the elimination of the QM1.

That, plus the QM2 doesn't perform well on Sundays

What does QM6 weekend ridership look like? If most of it comes from the towers, the QM6 can lose weekend service and the weekend QM5 can be extended to the towers. QM4 weekend should go, the QM15 can stay.

As for BM routes, 4 and 5 should be AXED outright during off peak hours. The rest deserve analysis.

Here is a website with data for all of the MTA Bus express routes: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aha-LfXMlWNBdHd4QkhLRF92cURWNWdSbzNfSjJwWWc&hl=en#gid=1

That, plus the QM2 doesn't perform well on Sundays.

1) Define "poor" local service. All of those areas have a somewhat frequent local bus nearby.

2) Yeah, but the focus is more on reducing express bus service. The same way your main focus is on saving express buses, with a small focus on local buses.

3) All of those areas would still have service. They wouldn't have direct service to Manhattan, but they would still have fairly frequent local service to Manhattan.

4) Most of those people who switched are people who decided to walk to their destination. The vast majority of riders would still be taking transit.

1) Oh please so you're harping on weekend service, most of which only runs on Saturdays once an hour. Give me a break. Really, you're just going overboard. Reductions have been made and will continue to be made where necessary, so just stop already. You want them to just slash service over night, which is not going to happen.

2) Says who? I would argue that the focus is on slashing service in general not just express bus service.

3) That's the whole point. You seem to just want to dismiss these people's commutes as if they should not have a quick alternative because they don't live near a subway. That's bologna.

4) And how do you know this? I want to see some stats. You also don't know how many people are no longer traveling to certain places they no longer have transportation to those places. You should pull up the stats on that. And I'm not talking about express bus riders either.

Well, I've got to catch my 15:10 BM3, which I'm sure a certain someone would love to eliminate. :mad:

What does QM6 weekend ridership look like? If most of it comes from the towers, the QM6 can lose weekend service and the weekend QM5 can be extended to the towers. QM4 weekend should go, the QM15 can stay.

As for BM routes, 4 and 5 should be AXED outright during off peak hours. The rest deserve analysis.

He isn't advocating axing the QM6 he said QM1 the QM1 actually is only useful at rush hour. But QM6 will always be needed but NOT QM1

Getting back to the topic, I'll say this: if I had a choice between riding the express bus and DC Metro I wouldn't even think twice about riding the Metro.

I was always interested in express buses since they're faster and more comfortable than local buses, but I didn't start hating the NYC subway until the creation of the (V) train. To make matters worse, I became fed up with the R32's on the (E) and the stench of Jamaica Center. Just to be clear, I didn't become an express bus fan simply out of spite for the NYC subway. I remember back in 2000 when my parents finally let me ride the train into the city. I was torn between whether I wanted to take the R46 (F) train or the express bus.

So how did you go from someone with a simple interest in express buses, to someone that's as avid about express buses as you are now? That is what I'm not quite gettin....

It's like me sayin, aye, I was always interested in arab women when I was young... I eventually grow up, and now not only do I wax poetic about arab women, I also shun my own race of women.... you don't "hop the fence" so to speak, simply b/c you had an interest in those same women when you're younger.... You don't go from 1 to 5 without adding 4 to it... somethin aint "adding" up....

LRG made the point I was gonna address.... I had an interest in express buses also, but now that I ride em almost every weekday comin home, I don't go hard in the paint as you or via does... I don't like or hate the things no more than I hate or like local buses & subways.... Via, I can understand.... You however, I still think it's somethin you're leavin out.... Especially when you've mentioned that you're broke....

I know your stance on DC Metro, the whole F/V thing, Jamaica ctr subway, etc.... but if you're tellin me those weren't factors, then what is it.... let's not beat around the bush...

ayo, hold fast for a second....

#2... where have you been since June 2010?

There were FAR more local bus cuts than there were express bus cuts.... and don't bring up "well there are more local bus routes"; which would further hurt your argument anyway..... If the focus was on cutting expresses, more runs on more routes would've been slashed....

The focus was to squeeze as much out of a dollar as they could.... you do that by cutting bits & pieces here & there on as many local routes as possible, as well as expresses....

If I have 500 dimes & 1000 nickels, and I'm tryna save space in my piggy bank, I'm gettin rid of the nickels before the dimes.....

#4... you can't tell me that most of those people who lost service decided to walk, and then tell me that they would still be takin transit had their services not been discontinued....

I tell you I had a pet..... I lost my dog, but now I have a cat -

it's still an animal, just not a dog.... That's the equivalent of what you're doing....

in english, it's a backhanded way of implying that they should've been walking in the first place... that 2nd part of the statement is you tryna save face..... b/c lemme tell ya, someone that feels that routes were unjustly cut, doesn't bring up that these people are now walking.... Alternative buses or trains first, yes... but not walking.... aint no one on the B8 (for example) during the day, that used to take the bus past VA hospital westbound, are now resorting to walk to w/e stop it is they get off that's past VA hospital.....

^^^ that's allllll if I believe that most people are now walking to their destination, in regards to w/e service that was lost....

We get it, you hate the subway, you hate the (V) train and R32s...good for you. I don't like the new (M) train but you don't see me ranting about it (or at least not like I used to)....!
Y'know, I was going to use your gripe with the (M) as an example when I told FG that having a gripe on the (F) operating via 63 St for 10+ years now seemed pointless. The only difference is that you're not bitching about the (M). I never understood why he prefers the (F) via 53 St when the (E) is his alternative.

He isn't advocating axing the QM6 he said QM1 the QM1 actually is only useful at rush hour. But QM6 will always be needed but NOT QM1

Wrong again. The QM1 gets loads almost every day at every hour. Without the QM1, we would have jam packed QM5s and QM6s....

Is it necessary you have to imitate the person who uses those one-word responses? We all know that person is a certified jerk, so unless you really want to adapt those one-word responses as your "catch phrase" then we'll have no choice but to label you a certified jerk as well.

You're defending the express buses like you can afford to ride them like Via Garibaldi 8 can, when you said yourself you cannot afford them. It's one thing to defend the premium service if you're a regular user like VG8, or even an occasional user as I am, but to go on and defend all of the routes is just juvenile. We get it, you hate the subway, you hate the (V) train and R32s...good for you. I don't like the new (M) train but you don't see me ranting about it (or at least not like I used to)....

Calm down and relax. It's not that serious, it's just trains and buses for crying out loud!

*cough* facebook troll *cough cough* ;)

1) Oh please so you're harping on weekend service, most of which only runs on Saturdays once an hour. Give me a break. Really, you're just going overboard. Reductions have been made and will continue to be made where necessary, so just stop already. You want them to just slash service over night, which is not going to happen.

2) Says who? I would argue that the focus is on slashing service in general not just express bus service.

3) That's the whole point. You seem to just want to dismiss these people's commutes as if they should not have a quick alternative because they don't live near a subway. That's bologna.

4) And how do you know this? I want to see some stats. You also don't know how many people are no longer traveling to certain places they no longer have transportation to those places. You should pull up the stats on that. And I'm not talking about express bus riders either.

Well, I've got to catch my 15:10 BM3, which I'm sure a certain someone would love to eliminate. :mad:

2) I meant my focus.

3) But in those areas, is it really faster off-peak to take the express bus when you could take the local bus (which runs more frequently) to the Queens Blvd Express?

ayo, hold fast for a second....

#2... where have you been since June 2010?

There were FAR more local bus cuts than there were express bus cuts.... and don't bring up "well there are more local bus routes"; which would further hurt your argument anyway..... If the focus was on cutting expresses, more runs on more routes would've been slashed....

The focus was to squeeze as much out of a dollar as they could.... you do that by cutting bits & pieces here & there on as many local routes as possible, as well as expresses....

If I have 500 dimes & 1000 nickels, and I'm tryna save space in my piggy bank, I'm gettin rid of the nickels before the dimes.....

#4... you can't tell me that most of those people who lost service decided to walk, and then tell me that they would still be takin transit had their services not been discontinued....

I tell you I had a pet..... I lost my dog, but now I have a cat -

it's still an animal, just not a dog.... That's the equivalent of what you're doing....

in english, it's a backhanded way of implying that they should've been walking in the first place... that 2nd part of the statement is you tryna save face..... b/c lemme tell ya, someone that feels that routes were unjustly cut, doesn't bring up that these people are now walking.... Alternative buses or trains first, yes... but not walking.... aint no one on the B8 (for example) during the day, that used to take the bus past VA hospital westbound, are now resorting to walk to w/e stop it is they get off that's past VA hospital.....

^^^ that's allllll if I believe that most people are now walking to their destination, in regards to w/e service that was lost....

When I said the vast majority would still be taking transit, I was referring to all riders. VG8's thinking was that all of a sudden, people would just stop taking transit, and I doubt that you would see extremely large numbers of people walking or using another method of transportation rather than mass transit.

Wrong again. The QM1 gets loads almost every day at every hour. Without the QM1, we would have jam packed QM5s and QM6s....

On the weekends, those routes aren't that well-used, though.

2) I meant my focus.

3) But in those areas, is it really faster off-peak to take the express bus when you could take the local bus (which runs more frequently) to the Queens Blvd Express?

When I said the vast majority would still be taking transit, I was referring to all riders. VG8's thinking was that all of a sudden, people would just stop taking transit, and I doubt that you would see extremely large numbers of people walking or using another method of transportation rather than mass transit.

On the weekends, those routes aren't that well-used, though.

Well think about it. If your route was cut and there were no other alternatives and you can't afford car service or it is too far to walk, you'll be forced to stay in. There are plenty of people like this. Those still using transit may very well have altered their commute because of the cuts. Maybe they don't go to certain places because of the inconveniece it creates. You can't see this because you are well served by transit and I don't mean express buses. I'm talking local buses. You keep trying to say that yout main focus is express buses, but that is not the case. You are advocating fot slashing services across the board in hopes that the fares will be lowered even if that means folks can't get around. That is completely narrow minded.

As for the whole QM1/5/6/7/8 combination, it really needs to be simplified. There's 2 key Midtown routes and 1 key downtown routes (QM 5, 6, 8).

The QM1 short turn variant seems to run middays—is the QM5 that full outside of the rush that it can't take on extra Fresh Meadows passengers? Add short turn QM5 trips for both 3 and 6 Av during the rush hour and wyeing the midday trips would make more sense then creating an extra designation.

Same thing with creating QM8 short turns. While a redesignation doesn't save any money by itself, I think the MTA should do a trip-by-trip rationalization: short turning or cutting trips with low ridership rather than looking at entire time periods' worth of service. Rush hour express bus service doesn't really operate on a clock-face schedule anyway in most cases.

QM10 can be eliminated. This is an interesting case, since the downtown service (QM11) seems to do much better and should stay. It probably has to do with the Queens Blvd Line providing pretty good service to Midtown, while downtown service involves long, crowded local rides or transfers.

QM12 needs rationalization, as I said before, BM4/BM5 should really be eliminated as there are plenty of alternatives that don't involve lots of subways or packed local buses (BM2 or BM3 to the B31)

As for the whole QM1/5/6/7/8 combination, it really needs to be simplified. There's 2 key Midtown routes and 1 key downtown routes (QM 5, 6, 8).

The QM1 short turn variant seems to run middays—is the QM5 that full outside of the rush that it can't take on extra Fresh Meadows passengers? Add short turn QM5 trips for both 3 and 6 Av during the rush hour and wyeing the midday trips would make more sense then creating an extra designation.

Same thing with creating QM8 short turns. While a redesignation doesn't save any money by itself, I think the MTA should do a trip-by-trip rationalization: short turning or cutting trips with low ridership rather than looking at entire time periods' worth of service. Rush hour express bus service doesn't really operate on a clock-face schedule anyway in most cases.

QM10 can be eliminated. This is an interesting case, since the downtown service (QM11) seems to do much better and should stay. It probably has to do with the Queens Blvd Line providing pretty good service to Midtown, while downtown service involves long, crowded local rides or transfers.

QM12 needs rationalization, as I said before, BM4/BM5 should really be eliminated as there are plenty of alternatives that don't involve lots of subways or packed local buses (BM2 or BM3 to the B31)

The QM1 is the short turn variant of the QM5.....and making a short turn for the QM8 is pointless since after 6:30PM, it doesnt really carry much at all. The QM7 is the short turn variant of the QM8. Creating additional short turns to already existing routes is a total waste and wont really help out much at all.

The QM10 has two different markets, 3rd and 6th Avenues. Ridership on the 3rd Avenue side gets pretty high up there if a QM12 is not there, then the QM10 gets passengers from that QM12 trip. Cut the BM5? That's 50/50 in my opinion. All this short turning stuff is like requesting the QM11 to short-turn at Rego Park - 63rd Drive, there is no supportive logic in this...

The QM1 is the short turn variant of the QM5.....and making a short turn for the QM8 is pointless since after 6:30PM, it doesnt really carry much at all. The QM7 is the short turn variant of the QM8. Creating additional short turns to already existing routes is a total waste and wont really help out much at all.

I know, just cut down on the route numbers. Keep the trips.

Well think about it. If your route was cut and there were no other alternatives and you can't afford car service or it is too far to walk, you'll be forced to stay in. There are plenty of people like this. Those still using transit may very well have altered their commute because of the cuts. Maybe they don't go to certain places because of the inconveniece it creates. You can't see this because you are well served by transit and I don't mean express buses. I'm talking local buses. You keep trying to say that yout main focus is express buses, but that is not the case. You are advocating for slashing services across the board in hopes that the fares will be lowered even if that means folks can't get around. That is completely narrow minded.

For a young person like myself, the transit service in my area is close, but an elderly person might think differently.

I'm not advocating for reducing service to the point where people can't get around. If that were the case, I wouldn't want the B4, B71, or Q79 to be restored to the way they were (coverage) or the B64 or M98 to be restored to the way they were.

The QM10 has two different markets, 3rd and 6th Avenues. Ridership on the 3rd Avenue side gets pretty high up there if a QM12 is not there, then the QM10 gets passengers from that QM12 trip. Cut the BM5? That's 50/50 in my opinion. All this short turning stuff is like requesting the QM11 to short-turn at Rego Park - 63rd Drive, there is no supportive logic in this...

I just realized that the QM1 doesn't run weekends. I was probably confused from the QM1A days.

As far as the QM10 goes, are the following QM12s more empty when the QM10 gets all of the 3rd Avenue passengers?

I agree that the BM5 elimination is iffy. It is faster to go through Queens than to make all of the BM2 stops. Maybe a compromise could be to have the BM5 run rush hours only, with the BM2 covering Starrett City during other times.

Y'know, I was going to use your gripe with the (M) as an example when I told FG that having a gripe on the (F) operating via 63 St for 10+ years now seemed pointless. The only difference is that you're not bitching about the (M). I never understood why he prefers the (F) via 53 St when the (E) is his alternative.

Once again, I'm not commenting on that.

So how did you go from someone with a simple interest in express buses, to someone that's as avid about express buses as you are now? That is what I'm not quite gettin....

It's like me sayin, aye, I was always interested in arab women when I was young... I eventually grow up, and now not only do I wax poetic about arab women, I also shun my own race of women.... you don't "hop the fence" so to speak, simply b/c you had an interest in those same women when you're younger.... You don't go from 1 to 5 without adding 4 to it... somethin aint "adding" up....

LRG made the point I was gonna address.... I had an interest in express buses also, but now that I ride em almost every weekday comin home, I don't go hard in the paint as you or via does... I don't like or hate the things no more than I hate or like local buses & subways.... Via, I can understand.... You however, I still think it's somethin you're leavin out.... Especially when you've mentioned that you're broke....

I know your stance on DC Metro, the whole F/V thing, Jamaica ctr subway, etc.... but if you're tellin me those weren't factors, then what is it.... let's not beat around the bush...

I can't afford a Corvette or Lamborghini but I still like it. I'm the type of person who always wants something extra or premium. "Average" isn't good enough for me. Whenever I used to play Monopoly, I always bough Park Place and Boardwalk. I got into (at the time) one of the best high schools in the city. I like express buses because they're a premium service. Even when I was a kid, the green express bus lines on the map stood out. The (V) train had nothing to do with me liking express buses.

I agree that the BM5 elimination is iffy. It is faster to go through Queens than to make all of the BM2 stops. Maybe a compromise could be to have the BM5 run rush hours only, with the BM2 covering Starrett City during other times.

This is a fair compromise. See, I'm willing to meet people halfway.

For a young person like myself, the transit service in my area is close, but an elderly person might think differently.

I'm not advocating for reducing service to the point where people can't get around. If that were the case, I wouldn't want the B4, B71, or Q79 to be restored to the way they were (coverage) or the B64 or M98 to be restored to the way they were.

I just realized that the QM1 doesn't run weekends. I was probably confused from the QM1A days.

As far as the QM10 goes, are the following QM12s more empty when the QM10 gets all of the 3rd Avenue passengers?

It usually depends on which one comes first between the QM10 and QM12. If a QM12 comes first, it gets its own passengers + QM10 passengers and vice-versa, that of course depends on the time & the traffic.

Elimination the BM5 imo is a bad move. It's faster to commute via Queens rather than using the BM2 as the main route. Making the last trip at like 8 or 9PM would work better. The BM5 has also gained some positive feedback from those boarding at the 3 addition Queens Stops.

Elimination the BM5 imo is a bad move. It's faster to commute via Queens rather than using the BM2 as the main route. Making the last trip at like 8 or 9PM would work better. The BM5 has also gained some positive feedback from those boarding at the 3 addition Queens Stops.

Maybe make the BM5 a rush hour only service. But the off peak service must not be doing well, considering how many span reductions have been made in it and the BM4 the past few years.

Maybe make the BM5 a rush hour only service. But the off peak service must not be doing well, considering how many span reductions have been made in it and the BM4 the past few years.

I agree, though the way I see it, having service on the BM5 end around 8PM would do some justice. From what I seen, at 34th Street after 8-ish, it usually has a decent amount of peeps on the trips.

I can't afford a Corvette or Lamborghini but I still like it. I'm the type of person who always wants something extra or premium. "Average" isn't good enough for me. Whenever I used to play Monopoly, I always bough Park Place and Boardwalk. I got into (at the time) one of the best high schools in the city. I like express buses because they're a premium service. Even when I was a kid, the green express bus lines on the map stood out. The (V) train had nothing to do with me liking express buses.

I knew there was somethin more to it than what you originally let on.... So it's a status symbol for you.... You strike me as that type of person anyway, just by the way you exude yourself.... There's nothin wrong with wantin the best....

Was it so hard to admit that, fam....

BM5 should be a rush hour only service; I've been sayin that for the longest.... Virtually no one waits for the BM5 past AM rush hr, manhattan bound.... If I were to guesstimate, I'd say well over 60% the total BM5 ridership emanates from along Pennsylvania av... which if you ask me, all know & wait for particular runs during the AM rush....once those buses turn onto cozine, and there's only like 4 people on em, those beese are not leaving brooklyn with more than 10 people on it (which most would still claim, is still a miniscule amt of riders)....

That's all B82 & B83 country down there; the 83 is king, the 82 is the prince, and the BM5 is, I dunno, the rook.....

Archived