Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

I see no good reason as to why we should subsidize relatively wealthier tourists instead of service improvements for the working and middle classes. If they can afford to travel, they can afford an airport bus or taxi.

Completely agree. Express routes may be cheaper, but if you came from Hollywood or Miami and deside you want to go to Manhattan, one will not be going on an express bus just to go sightseeing. Cabs are for the ones that want an exact destination and private buses are for connecting to the....what term should I use.......major hubs of Midtown Manhattan.

The (MTA) should not even be focused on express service to the airports; let the PANY&NJ do a study if express service is needed that badly.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely agree. Express routes may be cheaper, but if you came from Hollywood or Miami and deside you want to go to Manhattan, one will not be going on an express bus just to go sightseeing. Cabs are for the ones that want an exact destination and private buses are for connecting to the....what term should I use.......major hubs of Midtown Manhattan.

The (MTA) should not even be focused on express service to the airports; let the PANY&NJ do a study if express service is needed that badly.

seems more of a reasonable response 

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if there is enough ridership to extend the Q111 into Nassau in a similar matter of the Bx22....a handful of trips to Nassau, but most weekday and all weekend trips to Rosedale.

I doubt people in Nassau will use the Q111 regardless. They're very car-centric in general. If Nassau wants it, they should subsidize part of the service, but with how NICE bus is ran and the financial woes they have, that will not happen either.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I wonder if there is enough ridership to extend the Q111 into Nassau in a similar matter of the Bx22....a handful of trips to Nassau, but most weekday and all weekend trips to Rosedale.

I wouldn't bother... the Q111 is "the" route down in Rosedale; Jamaica bound buses tend to get SRO at times before it even hits Farmers!

(The Q85 Rosedale doesn't come close to the usage the 111 gets)

The situation w/ the Bx22 is more of a lack of terminal space thing in (commercial) Fordham as to why as many trips does (and especially, used to) run to Lehman.....

Where else in Nassau do you want to send the 111, or are you talking about those trips that backdoors its way to 5 towns (area)?

I doubt people in Nassau will use the Q111 regardless. They're very car-centric in general. If Nassau wants it, they should subsidize part of the service, but with how NICE bus is ran and the financial woes they have, that will not happen either.

Cedarhurst is already served by the n31/n32 in Nassau, but as you stated, people in that neighborhood don't use it.

There's not enough ridership to extend the Q111 into Nassau, even if it was to use the back door to Green Acres or go into Inwood.

I know this is super random, and kinda crazy but this idea popped in my head for a route between LIC and Midtown via the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

I made the whole route on google my maps hopefully it doesn't get take down (I called it Q14 cause it isn't being used atm)

https://drive.google...irI&usp=sharing

Q14 -LTD- Service between LIC and Midtown via Queens-Midtown Tunnel.

Service during weekdays and weekends. Helps LIC residents going to/from Manhattan during weekend construction.

Stops to Penn Sta

- 40th Ave & 22nd St

- 21st St & 41st Ave  (F)

- Queens Plaza S & Crescent St (7,7X,N,Q)

- Jackson Ave & 42nd Rd (E,M,R)

- Jackson Ave & 23rd St (7,7x,E,G,M)

- 21st St & Jackson Ave  (G)

- 29th St & 49th Ave (7,7x,LIRR)

- 37th St & 3rd Ave

- 37th St & Park Ave

- 37th St & 5th Ave

- 37th St & 6th Ave (B,D,F,M,N,Q,R,PATH)

- 7th Ave & 37th St

- 32nd St & 7th Ave (1,2,3,LIRR,NJT,AMTRAK)

Stops to Queensbridge

- 32nd St & 7th Ave (1,2,3,LIRR,NJT,AMTRAK)

- 32nd St & 6th Ave (B,D,F,M,N,Q,R,PATH)

- Madison Ave & 33rd St

- 34th St & Park Ave  (6)

- 34th St & 3rd Ave

- 29th St & 49th Ave (7,7x,LIRR)

- Jackson Ave & 21st St  (G)

- Jackson Ave & Davis St (7,7x,E,G,M)

- Jackson Ave & West St (E,M,R)

- Queens Plaza N & Crescent St (7,7X,N,Q)

- 41st Ave & 21st St  (F)

- 40th Ave & 22nd St

I know this is super random, and kinda crazy but this idea popped in my head for a route between LIC and Midtown via the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

I made the whole route on google my maps hopefully it doesn't get take down (I called it Q14 cause it isn't being used atm)

Service during weekdays and weekends. Helps LIC residents going to/from Manhattan during weekend construction.

Once a bus leaves, you'd never see it again.

Once a bus leaves, you'd never see it again.

considering we have 3 Queensboro Bridge routes that all run "well" on a bridge that is known for worse traffic I think it's possible that these buses would be able to come back. Also almost every road this bus take already have different bus lines running on it

considering we have 3 Queensboro Bridge routes that all run "well" on a bridge that is known for worse traffic I think it's possible that these buses would be able to come back. Also almost every road this bus take already have different bus lines running on it

I think a transfer to the Q32 is ideal. I don't see a huge demand to 34 Street (By Bus) from Astoria in the first place.

https://queenstransit.wordpress.com/2015/11/26/flawed-proposals-off-street-bus-terminals/

A proposal to reroute all buses using Kissena Blvd away from Main St to avoid congestion.

Under this plan, Barclay Av between Union St and Kissena Blvd is converted to two-way bus-only operation. All buses turn off of Kissena Blvd onto Barclay Av, and then turn onto Union St.

The Q17 and Q27 make the loop around the Union St parking garage that the Q13/Q16/Q28 do in Flushing, making their terminal stops on 138 St.

The Q25, Q34, and Q65 make stops at Union St between 37-39 Av, and then continue on Union St until they turn left on 35 Av. From 35 Av, they turn onto their current routes.

Thoughts?

Ooooook. 

Stops to Penn Sta
- 40th Ave & 22nd St
- 21st St & 41st Ave  (F)
- Queens Plaza S & Crescent St (7,7X,N,Q)
- Jackson Ave & 42nd Rd (E,M,R)
- Jackson Ave & 23rd St (7,7x,E,G,M)
- 21st St & Jackson Ave  (G)
- 29th St & 49th Ave (7,7x,LIRR)

- 37th St & 3rd Ave
- 37th St & Park Ave
- 37th St & 5th Ave
- 37th St & 6th Ave (B,D,F,M,N,Q,R,PATH)
- 7th Ave & 37th St
- 32nd St & 7th Ave (1,2,3,LIRR,NJT,AMTRAK)

Stops to Queensbridge
- 32nd St & 7th Ave (1,2,3,LIRR,NJT,AMTRAK)
- 32nd St & 6th Ave (B,D,F,M,N,Q,R,PATH)
- Madison Ave & 33rd St
- 34th St & Park Ave  (6)
- 34th St & 3rd Ave

- 29th St & 49th Ave (7,7x,LIRR)
- Jackson Ave & 21st St  (G)
- Jackson Ave & Davis St (7,7x,E,G,M)
- Jackson Ave & West St (E,M,R)
- Queens Plaza N & Crescent St (7,7X,N,Q)
- 41st Ave & 21st St  (F)
- 40th Ave & 22nd St

1. Why choose a location such as 40th Av and 22nd St?
2. Is this the current path of the 7 Train Shuttle? 

https://queenstransit.wordpress.com/2015/11/26/flawed-proposals-off-street-bus-terminals/

A proposal to reroute all buses using Kissena Blvd away from Main St to avoid congestion.

Under this plan, Barclay Av between Union St and Kissena Blvd is converted to two-way bus-only operation. All buses turn off of Kissena Blvd onto Barclay Av, and then turn onto Union St.

The Q17 and Q27 make the loop around the Union St parking garage that the Q13/Q16/Q28 do in Flushing, making their terminal stops on 138 St.

The Q25, Q34, and Q65 make stops at Union St between 37-39 Av, and then continue on Union St until they turn left on 35 Av. From 35 Av, they turn onto their current routes.

Thoughts?

1. Along Barclay Av, there's an apartment building...meaning that they are going to need access to get home.
2. The NYS Department of Labor with a PARKING garage is located on that street.
3. There's a school on Barclay Av as well.

So your idea of a BUS-only street is a good one BUT not that street. It's also too narrow in a way especially making that curve along Barclay Av.

Edited by The TransitMan

1. Why choose a location such as 40th Av and 22nd St?

2. Is this the current path of the 7 Train Shuttle?

1) where else you'd you layover the bus? The point is to hit as many stations as possible in the area so that if one line goes down there is an alternative. 

2) yeah pretty much from QBP to Hunters point 

• 3 weeks later...

Thoughts?

The proposal is for just some of the routes in Flushing to go through Main Street to an off-street terminal--I don't mean that proposal on that blog, I mean the Department of City Planning idea. At the public meetings at the Y, a Korean guy was going on and on about banning buses from Main altogether. Someone countered and said that that was what the bus terminal would do. Then a staff person (I don't know if he was City Planning or DOT or Queens Borough office or what) said that actually, the proposed bus terminal would just house some of the routes that terminate in Flushing, and then only after going through Main Street by the subway first. So imagine the bus boarding area in Jackson Heights for the Q49 and Q33, but triple it and add some layover space. Everybody is talking about this proposal like it's the PABT, but it's just supposed to be for a few routes and not actually get the buses off of Main. Maybe a better comparison would be that terminal in Jamaica just south of Hillside: it has lots of buses there but in no way avoids bus traffic on Archer and Jamaica Aves.

honestly I feel the opposite should happen we should ban cars there many buses in the area already have trouble getting passengers close to the station the Q20 and Q44 have two stops for the station, the Q58 requires you to walk 3 block to the station, and the Q12,Q13, and Q16 have this offset area for picking up its passengers segregated from the rest of the buses  

I feel the Q58 should use Roosevelt to get to Main, not 41 Rd. Just asinine. But there's probably no room

41 Road is horrible sometimes due to how backed up an congested it is. I would move the Q34 Whitestone stop elsewhere. The Q65 stop is in a bad spot blocking the crosswalk. The problem is where would the stop be placed at. I was very surprised to see a full SRO Q34 short turn bus leave Roosevelt as I've never seen that before. Of course there was a empty Q34 short turn right behind it a minutes later and nobody was at the stop.

Like I've said for years just cut the Q34 from Kissena and Jamaica. It's based ridership is from Flushing and Whitestone. Half the time Q34 trips south of Main Street are bunched which I don't know how it happens on 20 minute head ways, they are empty or they are running with the Q25. If it did get shortened I would have it start where the Q19, Q50 and Q66 start at.

I feel the Q58 should use Roosevelt to get to Main, not 41 Rd. Just asinine. But there's probably no room

I want to agree with this, but it's enough that you have buses making that left turn from Roosevelt to Main..... The traffic situation would be worsened that much more if you had as many buses that are ran on the Q58 in the course of a day making right turns off Roosevelt onto Main....

I want to agree with this, but it's enough that you have buses making that left turn from Roosevelt to Main..... The traffic situation would be worsened that much more if you had as many buses that are ran on the Q58 in the course of a day making right turns off Roosevelt onto Main....

And what sucks is you can't put short turns on the 58