Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

image_zpsjvy9ditp.jpeg

I'm not gonna explain this time I'll just let you guess what happened I'm not even gonna confirm nor deny anything. 

I will tell you however It happened on December 30th the the bus is a C40LF.

Edited by IAlam

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanna know something funny? I used the Q77 for both school and non-school purposes. This whole combine the 26/27/77 thing will just be the M5 2.0 (Speaking of, when are they gonna separate that route?) I can guarantee, nobody from SE Queens is trying to get to Flushing directly. The Q27 should have never been sent down to 120 and the 26 should have retained off-peak service

I hope that nobody is planning to combine the Q26 with the Q77.  (The only thing I might do with the Q26 is extend it west on 58th Avenue and south on 188th Street to the traffic circle at 64th Avenue to provide an alternative to the Q17 for Flushing access — and even that idea isn't really very compelling.)

I agree that the off-peak Q26 should have been kept, but that's probably a lost cause. 

I also agree with your point on the Q27, which is why I suggested splitting it into two routes in an earlier post.

I hope that nobody is planning to combine the Q26 with the Q77.  (The only thing I might do with the Q26 is extend it west on 58th Avenue and south on 188th Street to the traffic circle at 64th Avenue to provide an alternative to the Q17 for Flushing access — and even that idea isn't really very compelling.)

I agree that the off-peak Q26 should have been kept, but that's probably a lost cause. 

I also agree with your point on the Q27, which is why I suggested splitting it into two routes in an earlier post.

At least north of Jamaica Av, most of the people are through-riding past QCC. The problem becomes that QCC (and Cardozo) on its own is not enough to justify some sort of long Springfield-only crosstown.

image_zpsjvy9ditp.jpeg

I'm not gonna explain this time I'll just let you guess what happened I'm not even gonna confirm nor deny anything. 

I will tell you however It happened on December 30th the the bus is a C40LF.

I f***ed up I thought I posted this in random thoughts thread

Wanna know something funny? I used the Q77 for both school and non-school purposes. This whole combine the 26/27/77 thing will just be the M5 2.0 (Speaking of, when are they gonna separate that route?) I can guarantee, nobody from SE Queens is trying to get to Flushing directly.

The Q27 should have never been sent down to 120 and the 26 should have retained off-peak service

Now we're getting somewhere, and I haven't seen anyone mention this thus far in these discussions.... Like you, I also happen to remember when the Q27 & the Q83 ended at LIRR QV full time (although I don't remember off-top how well the 83 was used in/out of there).... Bear in mind w/ that extension came the myriad of service the Q27 has now, and that's the thing that made that Q27 extension enticing (you won't catch the MTA ever doing anything like that to lure ppl. into taking an extended route in these days & times)..... I'd go as far as to say, for a route the MTA never really went out of its way to advertise (basically meaning, it wasn't an airport route... lol), its popularity grew exponentially - on the SE Queens end & on the Flushing end as well..... 

Back in the early 2000's IIRC, you had 20-30 min service off peak on the Q26 & about 7-10 min service off peak on the Q27.... Now we have nothing off peak on the Q26 & like 4-6 min service off peak on the Q27.....

IDK, personally, I'm torn on if that extension should have happened or not....

Anyways ... for the Q77 the only thing that should really be done to it is it should be extended down south to connect to the far rockaway routes.  

Not even.... For one, the turnaround scenario is actually simpler @ 145th rd...

That, and trust & believe you're not getting Rosedale pax xferring to the Q77... They have it too good with frequent enough service (111 + 114 service combined), plus Brewer is a straight shot to the heart of Jamaica....

At least north of Jamaica Av, most of the people are through-riding past QCC.

The problem becomes that QCC (and Cardozo) on its own is not enough to justify some sort of long Springfield-only crosstown.

...nor is it enough to justify splitting the route....

Wanna know something funny? I used the Q77 for both school and non-school purposes. This whole combine the 26/27/77 thing will just be the M5 2.0 (Speaking of, when are they gonna separate that route?) I can guarantee, nobody from SE Queens is trying to get to Flushing directly. The Q27 should have never been sent down to 120 and the 26 should have retained off-peak service

I don't agree with the combination of the of the Q26 and Q77 because it just doesn't make sense. That route would be pure duplication of so many other routes including the Q77 if it was to still run after this proposal. This route pretty much wouldn't have its own base ridership. I remember someone saying how the Q26 originally ran to Queens Village, I don't really know how true that is.

The Q27 was originally suppose to go as far south as Francis Lewis Blvd and Merrick Blvd in Springfield Gardens. Why did the MTA come up with that proposal was probably for coverage reason and as a way to connect all those routes together. The Q83 actually did run to Queens Village via Springfield but most likely it was cut short because if people seeked Jamaica or subways they would use the Q36, Q1 and any other routes it passed. I still wonder why the Q27 was picked vs the Q88 to go to 120th Av. I wonder what the base ridership on the Q27 below Jamaica Ave comes from and where they go.

That, and trust & believe you're not getting Rosedale pax xferring to the Q77... They have it too good with frequent enough service (111 + 114 service combined), plus Brewer is a straight shot to the heart of Jamaica....

Q77 is more of a grid route than anything not having the connection to the Q111 and Q114 is a disservice to riders who are heading south from Queens village because of the empty space left. Grid routes unlike feeder routes are allowed to have less ridership because their main purpose it to serve a community 

Q77 is more of a grid route than anything not having the connection to the Q111 and Q114 is a disservice to riders who are heading south from Queens village because of the empty space left. Grid routes unlike feeder routes are allowed to have less ridership because their main purpose it to serve a community 

...who is trying to get to QV from the Rockaways without a car? Anyways, 145 Rd is a six minute walk, which isn't a bad transfer. Heck, Flushing has some transfers that long (if you're coming from the south and getting off at Sanford instead of waiting in the conga line that is the merge from Kissena to Main.)

...who is trying to get to QV from the Rockaways without a car? Anyways, 145 Rd is a six minute walk, which isn't a bad transfer. Heck, Flushing has some transfers that long (if you're coming from the south and getting off at Sanford instead of waiting in the conga line that is the merge from Kissena to Main.)

Even the walk from the Q58 (on 41st Road at Main) to the Q28 (on 39th Avenue at Union) is 0.4 mile, which can easily take 10 minutes or longer due to the crowds. 

Albeit a long one, the Q77 is a feeder route... It is actually designed to bring those that reside along/around that part of Francis Lewis & Springfield to the (F) &/or 165th bus terminal...

Unless you're being very vague when you say "serve a community", you have it backwards with that last sentence - The main purpose of a feeder route is to serve a community - specifically, to bring patrons of that community to a centralized (transit) location, to xfer to another mode.... The purpose of a grid route isn't as specific as a feeder route....

Being allowed to have less ridership? In this city, if anything, that would be true for a feeder route.... But regardless, in even making a statement like that, you're throwing the concept of demand right out of the window..... I'm not going to speak about other cities, but here in the boroughs, grid/modified grid route usage is dominant over feeder route usage..... So much so that our grid/ mod. grids act as feeder routes in a lot of places (this is largely because we have an extensive subway system in this city, but still).....

There is no disservice that the Q77 doesn't connect to the Q111/114....  SE Queens is not clamoring for a Q77 extension, because the Q77 itself is an afterthought - compared to other routes in that general pocket of Queens.....

...who is trying to get to QV from the Rockaways without a car?

Hell, if you look at the usage of the 113/114, you'll find that it's not even SE Queens patrons that are filling up buses to head out to the Rockaways..... So this notion that a 77 connection to the 111/114 being vital is just plain false.... It may be convenient for a very small few, but of course you can not plan that way.....

I'm quite sure there's some old Glen Oaks folks that travel to NST.... Might I ask where that bus route is???

Edited by B35 via Church

It's probably just a local bus on a local trip with the express bus schedule. Happens semi-often. I've seen QV express bus schedules on local buses, and in other depots as well.

If that's the case then I don't see what the big deal is? I've seen schedules of different routes all over the place.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

There is no disservice that the Q77 doesn't connect to the Q111/114....  

It would be very easy to simply allow that connection as a "walking" transfer.

I'm quite sure there's some old Glen Oaks folks that travel to NST.... Might I ask where that bus route is???

There isn't one, because NST doesn't want "low-class" local buses on its property.

Edited by Gotham Bus Co.

This surely must be a joke... lol

There isn't one, because NST doesn't want "low-class" local buses on its property.

The North Shore Towers prides itself on being an upper class residence/complex.  It is a GATED co-op and country club community.  What gated community do you know of that has local buses running in it?  Don't be preposterous, as if their stance is out of the norm for such a residence.  There are shuttle buses that run to the LIRR provided for NST residents, and the QM6 takes NST residents to Midtown for work, shopping or otherwise.  For everything else, I'm sure folks there drive, as only the LIRR and express buses would be seen as acceptable, as they are expensive and considered more luxurious.  

Three teenage guys got on my express bus last night to apparently visit a friend, and they were all complaining about how they didn't know that the fare was $6.50 and how it was so incredibly expensive.  I said to myself, that's why they have the subway.  <_< People that live in upper class communities don't moan about those things because we can afford those services and are used to more luxurious things.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Three teenage guys got on my express bus last night to apparently visit a friend, and they were all complaining about how they didn't know that the fare was $6.50 and how it was so incredibly expensive.  I said to myself, that's why they have the subway.  <_< People that live in upper class communities don't moan about those things because we can afford those services and are used to more luxurious things.

"luxurious" common most of CP buses are really in good condition tbh  

Albeit a long one, the Q77 is a feeder route... It is actually designed to bring those that reside along/around that part of Francis Lewis & Springfield to the (F) &/or 165th bus terminal...

Unless you're being very vague when you say "serve a community", you have it backwards with that last sentence - The main purpose of a feeder route is to serve a community - specifically, to bring patrons of that community to a centralized (transit) location, to xfer to another mode.... The purpose of a grid route isn't as specific as a feeder route....

Being allowed to have less ridership? In this city, if anything, that would be true for a feeder route.... But regardless, in even making a statement like that, you're throwing the concept of demand right out of the window..... I'm not going to speak about other cities, but here in the boroughs, grid/modified grid route usage is dominant over feeder route usage..... So much so that our grid/ mod. grids act as feeder routes in a lot of places (this is largely because we have an extensive subway system in this city, but still).....

There is no disservice that the Q77 doesn't connect to the Q111/114....  SE Queens is not clamoring for a Q77 extension, because the Q77 itself is an afterthought - compared to other routes in that general pocket of Queens.....

Hell, if you look at the usage of the 113/114, you'll find that it's not even SE Queens patrons that are filling up buses to head out to the Rockaways..... So this notion that a 77 connection to the 111/114 being vital is just plain false.... It may be convenient for a very small few, but of course you can not plan that way.....

Those Jackson (now Campus Magnet) kids do that transfer, that's about it

I believe there wouldn't be one regardless....

This surely must be a joke... lol

In what aspect?

Those Jackson (now Campus Magnet) kids do that transfer, that's about it

Hardly a reason to extend the route down to 147th....

I had a friend who had to take the Q77 everyday to transfer to the Q17 to go to school and he used to tell me how long the commute was. He had to walk from 224th to Springfield near that middle school the Q77 ends by. I never used to believe that it was that long. Even if the Q77 was extended to Springfield I don't think many people would even use it because going to Hillside alone can take 40-45 minutes alone and the subway even longer. It is much faster to take the Q85/Q85LTD the Q5 and even the Q111/Q114 LTD because they directly serve Jamaica. The Q77 does this indirect routing down to Springfield and now I understand why it went without Sunday service for a while.

Astoria is growing neighborhood with increase in people riding bus and increase service will benefit them too.

I don't spend too much time in Astoria, so this may sound naive: Can anyone explain why the Q66 goes down 35th not 36th? 36th just seems like it would have a bus route on it, and the walk from 35th to the stores on 36th seems weird.

I don't spend too much time in Astoria, so this may sound naive: Can anyone explain why the Q66 goes down 35th not 36th? 36th just seems like it would have a bus route on it, and the walk from 35th to the stores on 36th seems weird.

If I had to guess, I would say it's to provide better access to the Ravenswood Houses. Otherwise, I agree that 36th would be better, since it's more commercial and has the connection to the (N)(Q) as well.

If I had to guess, I would say it's to provide better access to the Ravenswood Houses. Otherwise, I agree that 36th would be better, since it's more commercial and has the connection to the (N)(Q) as well.

That seems like the reason. 35 Av cuts Ravenswood Houses in half.

Two new proposals based on the (MTA) 's study for new north-south routes:

Q86: A weekday only route that would be somewhat similar to the Q36. Both routes match between Jamaica and 212 St/Pl. From there, the Q86 breaks of at 93 Av and go onward to the Douglaston LIRR sta via Winchester Blvd and Douglaston Pkwy. A rush hour peak direction LTD will run in the same pattern as the Q36, and will also share the same LTD stops as the Q36.

Q87: A route running between Westchester Sq or Bay Terrace and Jamaica. It starts at the Archer Av bus terminal, then runs on the Q17 and Q1 to Springfield Blvd. From there, it will follow the Q27 to Union Tpke, then use the Tpke to get to Bell Blvd. This is the part where I get to the 2 different terminals. Either the Q87 could continue northward to the Q13/16 terminal, or it can go use the Q28 route in Bay Terrace and use the Throgs Neck bridge to get to Westchester Sq via the Bx40. If ridership is high enough, a LTD will also run and use Spencer Av instead of using Springfield Blvd and Union Tpke.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain