Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

8th Avenue really can't catch a break today...

About an hour ago an uptown train got its brakes activated at 34-Penn Station. Some uptown (A) were diverted over 6th Avenue. Combine that with the fact that uptown (C) is also running express on 8th Avenue and the 81 St incident, you got a big mess. I've seen complaints online that some people were stuck on trains for two hours along 8th Avenue this evening rush hour.

EDIT: As soon as I posted the above, all CPW trains are proceeding along the line after emergency teams responded at 81 St.

Edited by CyclonicTrainLookout

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

8th Avenue really can't catch a break today...

About an hour ago an uptown train got its brakes activated at 34-Penn Station. Some uptown (A) were diverted over 6th Avenue. Combine that with the fact that uptown (C) is also running express on 8th Avenue and the 81 St incident, you got a big mess. I've seen complaints online that some people were stuck on trains for two hours along 8th Avenue this evening rush hour.

EDIT: As soon as I posted the above, all CPW trains are proceeding along the line after emergency teams responded at 81 St.

And then people complain why they don’t pay the fare, this is the reasoning, MTA doesn’t deserve our money if they can’t fix emergency situations as fast as possible, they can’t stop a train line because one person had an accident

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

And then people complain why they don’t pay the fare, this is the reasoning, MTA doesn’t deserve our money if they can’t fix emergency situations as fast as possible, they can’t stop a train line because one person had an accident

Tbf, replacing the switch might mean shutting down the entire trunk, so it'd just be better to run trains in a sub-optimal service pattern for the rest of the day and shut things down at night to fix.

3 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

Obviously you don’t have a clue about what happened at 81st do you? An accident could be caused by someone being pushed into the side of the train. The worst case scenario is that someone ended up under the train. Now you have EMS, police officers and transit supervisors on the scene. Is this person still alive or deceased ? Was this person pushed or fainted ? Can you retrieve the body ? Reports have to be written. The T/O and/or C/R have to be checked out and federal records are necessary before the evidence is removed and the train is cleared for movement. As for the broken rail problem do you think that there are replacement rails just lying around ? I’m sure that you are frustrated by these incidents but, IMO , you are coming across as an extremely selfish whiner. Carry on.

2 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Obviously you don’t have a clue about what happened at 81st do you? An accident could be caused by someone being pushed into the side of the train. The worst case scenario is that someone ended up under the train. Now you have EMS, police officers and transit supervisors on the scene. Is this person still alive or deceased ? Was this person pushed or fainted ? Can you retrieve the body ? Reports have to be written. The T/O and/or C/R have to be checked out and federal records are necessary before the evidence is removed and the train is cleared for movement. As for the broken rail problem do you think that there are replacement rails just lying around ? I’m sure that you are frustrated by these incidents but, IMO , you are coming across as an extremely selfish whiner. Carry on.

Exactly:

Frustrating as it may be, the fact is, this can't be rushed the way some people seem to think it can.  Some people seem to think everything can be done in a microwave fashion and that then can do things quickly and get everything back to normal.  This was NOT one of those cases with regard to what happened at 81st Street.  

And as it turns out, apparently he was not pushed and it's possible this was a suicide.

As for the broken rail: That happens.  Rails do break and often have to be replaced at very inconvenient times.  And it takes time to properly replace such rail.  

On 5/26/2023 at 9:31 PM, Chris89292 said:

has it ever occurred to you that “as fast as possible” is the wrong way to solve an emergency?

because in these circumstances; you tend to rush. You tend to take the first answer you come up with. Which could make the situation worse.

depending on what happened, the station could now be a crime scene, completely outside of transit’s control. There was that stabbing at Atlantic Barclays a few months back that blocked the local for nearly a full day before the police returned control. There is nothing we could have done to make them give it back faster.

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

has it ever occurred to you that “as fast as possible” is the wrong way to solve an emergency?

because in these circumstances; you tend to rush. You tend to take the first answer you come up with. Which could make the situation worse.

depending on what happened, the station could now be a crime scene, completely outside of transit’s control. There was that stabbing at Atlantic Barclays a few months back that blocked the local for nearly a full day before the police returned control. There is nothing we could have done to make them give it back faster.

Again, exactly!

There are times where this is COMPLETELY out of transit's control, especially if a police investigation is part of it.  People can complain all they want and even pols can demand service be brought back quickly, but sometimes, you have to thoroughly go through an investigation and can't rush it no matter who is putting pressure to rush it to get things back to normal.

On 5/27/2023 at 4:08 AM, Wallyhorse said:

Rails do break and often have to be replaced at very inconvenient times.  And it takes time to properly replace such rail.

The alternative might be to replace it in a jiffy and have the shoddy work cause another rail break much sooner. :rolleyes:
a.k.a., get me moving now, and to hell with planning for the future.

Edited by CenSin

• 2 weeks later...

I got caught up in this one, someone got struck at 42nd Street on the Broadway Line. Our (Q) train, which was the first train in 40 minutes,was running local to fill a gap in local service when we got held at 28th Street. 

No trains between 14th and 57th Streets according to station announcements:

Delays

There is limited (F)(N)(Q)(R) train service in Manhattan and Queens.

What's Happening?

Emergency teams are responding to a person who was struck by a train at Times Sq-42 St.

Expect delays on (F)(N)(Q)(R) trains in both directions.

Alternatives:

For service between Queens and Manhattan, consider (7)(E) trains.

For service between Brooklyn and Manhattan, consider (2)(4)(A)(L)(J) trains.

For service in Manhattan, consider (1)(2)(3)(4)(6)(A)(E)(J) trains.

Planned Work Reminder: (F) trains run in both directions via the (Q) between Lexington Av/63 St and 57 St-7 Av, via the (R) to/from 36 St (Brooklyn) and via the (D) to/from Coney Island-Stillwell Av for fastrack maintenance.

Posted: 06/06/2023 11:10 PM

Update 1 - Not on Alerts (11:31 PM):

Some SB (F) trains are running via Crosstown and Culver to Coney Island. 

Update 2

All Broadway service suspended north of Whitehall.

Trains Rerouted

(Q) trains are suspended between Whitehall St and 96 St.

(N) trains are suspended between Whitehall St and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd.

What's Happening?

Emergency teams are responding to a person who was struck by a train at Times Sq-42 St.

Additional Service Changes

Some (F) trains are running via the (G) between Bergen St and Court Sq in both directions.

Some southbound (F) trains are operating via the (E) from Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av to W 4 St-Wash Sq, then via (A) to Jay St-MetroTech.

Some northbound (F) trains will operate via the (A) from W 4 St-Wash Sq to Jay St-MetroTech, then via (E) to Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av.

Some northbound (R) trains will end at Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr.

Listen for train crew announcements to hear if your train will end or be rerouted.

Expect delays on (F)(N)(Q)(R) trains in both directions.l

Posted: 06/06/2023 11:47 PM

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Multiple Changes

(J)(M) trains are bypassing Marcy Av and Chauncey St in both directions.

Jamaica-bound (J) trains have resumed running on the local track from Myrtle Av to Broadway Junction.

What's Happening?

EMS and NYPD are conducting investigations at Marcy Av and Chauncey St.

Alternative Service:

Board (J)(M) trains at nearby Hewes St.

Take a B46 bus from Marcy Av to nearby stations.

Board (J) trains at nearby Broadway Junction or Halsey St.

Take a B20 bus from Chauncey St to Broadway Junction.

See a station agent for a courtesy pass for re-entry.

Posted: 06/13/2023 09:21 PM

18 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Multiple Changes

(J)(M) trains are bypassing Marcy Av and Chauncey St in both directions.

Jamaica-bound (J) trains have resumed running on the local track from Myrtle Av to Broadway Junction.

What's Happening?

EMS and NYPD are conducting investigations at Marcy Av and Chauncey St.

Alternative Service:

Board (J)(M) trains at nearby Hewes St.

Take a B46 bus from Marcy Av to nearby stations.

Board (J) trains at nearby Broadway Junction or Halsey St.

Take a B20 bus from Chauncey St to Broadway Junction.

See a station agent for a courtesy pass for re-entry.

Posted: 06/13/2023 09:21 PM

I'm presuming two separate incidents here. 

today at about 8:00pm 6/20/23, i was on a sb 4 train that was stopped at fulton st because "a train had its breaks activated on the express track at hoyt st". My first time having to navigate from the 4/5 platform at fulton to the 2/3, what a trek .. i hope i never have to experience that again

they eventually announced that  sb 4/5 was haulted from wall st to borough hall something like that 

i kept telling myself im probably better off taking manhattan bound 4/5 back to union sq then just taking n from there to the r at atlantic/36th/59th which is my usual route after taking 4/5 from grand central to 14th, but when i got to union after taking 4/5 from grand central, the n was 6 minutes away, so usually that's enough in my opinion to stay on the 4/5 to atlantic then switch to an n to r or just switch straight to r, but man what a mistake.

Edited by habbyy

* There's a passenger altercation at Myrtle Av-Broadway. (M) trains to Metropolitan Av are running on the Express track at that time where the (J)(Z) runs on the middle track, from Marcy Av to said station (Mytrle Av-Bway).  

* (L) trains are running with heavy delays in both directions because of a subway surfing incident at Bushwick Av- Aberdeen St 

- There will be no L train service between Myrtle Av and Atlantic Av stops.

- Trains will only run between 8 Av and Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs and Atlantic Av to/from Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway. 

Edited by Calvin

22 hours ago, Calvin said:

* There's a passenger altercation at Myrtle Av-Broadway. (M) trains to Metropolitan Av are running on the Express track at that time where the (J)(Z) runs on the middle track, from Marcy Av to said station (Mytrle Av-Bway).  

* (L) trains are running with heavy delays in both directions because of a subway surfing incident at Bushwick Av- Aberdeen St 

- There will be no L train service between Myrtle Av and Atlantic Av stops.

- Trains will only run between 8 Av and Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs and Atlantic Av to/from Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway. 

I can't understand why the subway surfing is continuing.  Sheesh!

Earlier today, (J) trains were partially suspended: the Williamsburg Bridge between Essex St and Marcy Av with the (M) as well as Van Sicklen Av.  The incidents were resolved today but cause delays at around 7:30 AM. 

• 2 weeks later...

Delay that happened this morning:

AIL4fc_eJoJVNGP4-9mVyD7cvQPJch0kvx64_emB

I'm wondering what being "unable to move a train" means. Motor or propulsion issues? Glitch in the train's software? If it were emergency brakes or door issues, then they probably would've specified. I was on the train right behind the train that had issues, and we were held just outside of Queens Plaza only for about 5 min, so whatever it was couldn't have been major. Also don't know why the locals also had to be held outside of Queens Plaza for a bit. That would imply that an (M) got stuck crossing the switch, blocking both tracks, but I also feel like that would've been a problem that would take longer than 5-10 min to solve.

8 hours ago, MTA Dude said:

Delay that happened this morning:

AIL4fc_eJoJVNGP4-9mVyD7cvQPJch0kvx64_emB

I'm wondering what being "unable to move a train" means. Motor or propulsion issues? Glitch in the train's software? If it were emergency brakes or door issues, then they probably would've specified. I was on the train right behind the train that had issues, and we were held just outside of Queens Plaza only for about 5 min, so whatever it was couldn't have been major. Also don't know why the locals also had to be held outside of Queens Plaza for a bit. That would imply that an (M) got stuck crossing the switch, blocking both tracks, but I also feel like that would've been a problem that would take longer than 5-10 min to solve.

At several locations this happens because the interlocking is too close to the platform, so they don’t want trains barreling in and potentially overshoot the station if the switches are set for a train to merge. Here are some examples:

- Queens bound (M)(R) trains at Queens Plaza

- Manhattan bound (E)(M) trains at Queens Plaza

- Brooklyn bound (J)(M)(Z) trains at Essex St

Northbound (N)(Q)(R)(W) at 57 St-7 Av when trains from the express track need to cross over to 60 St

(7) train service is suspended entirely, (J) and (M) service is suspended between Manhattan and Brooklyn. 

Suspended

No (7) train service between Flushing-Main St and 34 St-Hudson Yards in both directions while FDNY responds to a report of smoke at 74 St-Broadway.

Travel Alternatives:

From service between Queens and Manhattan consider using the (E)(F)(M)(N)(R)(W) trains.

Posted: 07/07/2023 04:27 PM

----------------------------------------------------

Part Suspended

(J)(M) service is severely disrupted in both directions.

No (J) between Marcy Av and Broad St.

No (M) between Myrtle Av and 2 Av.

Emergency teams are responding to someone who was struck by a train at Delancey St-Essex St.

The last stop on Broad St-bound (J) trains will be Marcy Av where they will turn for Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer-bound service.

The last stop on Forest Hills-71 Av-bound (M) trains will be Myrtle Av where they will turn for Middle Village-Metropolitan Av-bound service.

The last stop on Middle Village-Metropolitan Av-bound (M) trains will be 2 Av on the (F) line.

Travel Alternatives

As an alternative for service between Brooklyn and Manhattan, consider (A)(C)(L) trains.

Posted: 07/07/2023 04:41 PM

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On 7/7/2023 at 4:44 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

(7) train service is suspended entirely, (J) and (M) service is suspended between Manhattan and Brooklyn. 

Suspended

No (7) train service between Flushing-Main St and 34 St-Hudson Yards in both directions while FDNY responds to a report of smoke at 74 St-Broadway.

Travel Alternatives:

From service between Queens and Manhattan consider using the (E)(F)(M)(N)(R)(W) trains.

Posted: 07/07/2023 04:27 PM

----------------------------------------------------

Part Suspended

(J)(M) service is severely disrupted in both directions.

No (J) between Marcy Av and Broad St.

No (M) between Myrtle Av and 2 Av.

Emergency teams are responding to someone who was struck by a train at Delancey St-Essex St.

The last stop on Broad St-bound (J) trains will be Marcy Av where they will turn for Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer-bound service.

The last stop on Forest Hills-71 Av-bound (M) trains will be Myrtle Av where they will turn for Middle Village-Metropolitan Av-bound service.

The last stop on Middle Village-Metropolitan Av-bound (M) trains will be 2 Av on the (F) line.

Travel Alternatives

As an alternative for service between Brooklyn and Manhattan, consider (A)(C)(L) trains.

Posted: 07/07/2023 04:41 PM

(J)(M) Issue sounds surfing related.

There is no (Q) train service between 57 St-7 Av and 96 St until at least 7:50 PM. 

Northbound (F) trains are bypassing Lexington Av/63 St.

What's Happening?

Emergency teams are responding to a person who was struck by a train at Lexington Av/63 St.

Additional Updates:

The last stop on northbound (Q) trains is Times Sq-42 St or 57 St-7 Av.

Expect (N)(Q)(R)(W) delays.