Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

On 7/7/2023 at 4:44 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

No (J) between Marcy Av and Broad St.

No (M) between Myrtle Av and 2 Av.

Emergency teams are responding to someone who was struck by a train at Delancey St-Essex St.

The last stop on Broad St-bound (J) trains will be Marcy Av where they will turn for Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer-bound service.

Interesting… which tracks got knocked out that crippled both (J) and (M) service this way?

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

(A)(C) and (J) trains putting in that work tonight.

Part Suspended

No southbound (1)(2)(3) train service between 14 St and Lower Manhattan/Brooklyn until at least 9:35pm.

What's Happening?

Emergency teams are responding to a person who was struck by a train at Houston St.

Updates:

Southbound (2) trains are running via the (5) between 149 St-Grand Concourse and Nevins St.

The last stop on southbound (1)(3) trains is 14 St.

Northbound (1)(2)(3) trains are running with delays.

Expect delays in (1)(2)(3)(4)(5) train service in both directions.

Listen for announcements to hear how your train will operate.

Alternatives:

Transfer at Times Sq-42 St to an (N)(R)(W) train to Lower Manhattan and/or Brooklyn.

At Fulton St, consider nearby (A)(C)(J) trains to Brooklyn.

Posted: 08/02/2023 09:04 PM

Part Suspended

No (L) service between Broadway Junction and Canarsie-Rockaway Pkwy.

Take the B60 bus making nearby stops.

What's Happening?

(L) trains are delayed in both directions while we request NYPD assistance with an unauthorized person on the tracks at New Lots Av.

Updates & Alternatives:

The last stop on Canarsie-bound (L) trains is Broadway Junction or Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs.

Take the (A)(C) or (J) train at Broadway Junction for service between Brooklyn and Manhattan.

Posted: 08/02/2023 08:26 PM

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

6 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Part Suspended

No southbound 123 train service between 14 St and Lower Manhattan/Brooklyn until at least 9:35pm.

What's Happening?

Emergency teams are responding to a person who was struck by a train at Houston St.

Updates:

Southbound 2 trains are running via the 5 between 149 St-Grand Concourse and Nevins St.

The last stop on southbound 13 trains is 14 St.

Northbound 123 trains are running with delays.

Expect delays in 12345 train service in both directions.

Alternatives:

Transfer at Times Sq-42 St to an NRW train to Lower Manhattan and/or Brooklyn.

At Fulton St, consider nearby ACJ trains to Brooklyn.

Part Suspended

No L service between Broadway Junction and Canarsie-Rockaway Pkwy.

What's Happening?

L trains are delayed in both directions while we request NYPD assistance with an unauthorized person on the tracks at New Lots Av.

Updates & Alternatives:

The last stop on Canarsie-bound L trains is Broadway Junction or Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs.

Take the AC or J train at Broadway Junction for service between Brooklyn and Manhattan.

What a mess.  Though if the (2) and (4) are both on the Lexington line that should help but with the part about the (A)(C) and (J) I presume that is mainly about Broadway Junction. 

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

(A)(C) and (J) trains putting in that work tonight.

Part Suspended

No southbound (1)(2)(3) train service between 14 St and Lower Manhattan/Brooklyn until at least 9:35pm.

What's Happening?

Updates:

Southbound (2) trains are running via the (5) between 149 St-Grand Concourse and Nevins St.

The last stop on southbound (1)(3) trains is 14 St.

Northbound (1)(2)(3) trains are running with delays.

Expect delays in (1)(2)(3)(4)(5) train service in both directions.

Alternatives:

Transfer at Times Sq-42 St to an (N)(R)(W) train to Lower Manhattan and/or Brooklyn.

At Fulton St, consider nearby (A)(C)(J) trains to Brooklyn.

Part Suspended

No (L) service between Broadway Junction and Canarsie-Rockaway Pkwy.

What's Happening?

(L) trains are delayed in both directions while we request NYPD assistance with an unauthorized person on the tracks at New Lots Av.

Updates & Alternatives:

The last stop on Canarsie-bound (L) trains is Broadway Junction or Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs.

Take the (A)(C) or (J) train at Broadway Junction for service between Brooklyn and Manhattan.

Crazy how these two were simultaneously happening, I wasn't aware of the incident involving the 7 Av line at the time, but they are presumed dead from what I hear. I was definitely aware of the (L) incident, saw videos and photos of the dude that was on the tracks wanting to unalive themselves. A lot of people were trying to talk to the dude persuading him not to do it. I'm not sure what the aftermath was, but there is a photo of the dude back on the platform looking like Emergency Response crews sedated him or something.

So does this mean that (N) trains basically go back into Manhattan out of service?

Part Suspended

No (N) train service between Queensboro Plaza and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd in both directions while we address a signal problem at Astoria-Ditmars Blvd.

Consider nearby (E)(F)(M)(R)(7) trains for alternate service between Manhattan and Queens.

Consider Q69, Q100, or Q101 buses between Queensboro Plaza and Astoria Blvd.

Planned work reminders:

(W) runs between Whitehall St-South Ferry and 57 St-7 Av then via (Q) line to 96 St.

Manhattan-bound (N) platform at Queensboro Plaza is closed.

Posted: 08/10/2023 09:54 AM

Also:

Trains Rerouted

Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer-bound (E) and Forest Hills-71 Av-bound (M) trains are delayed while we address a signal problem at Court Sq-23 St.

Some Forest Hills-bound (M) trains are running on the (F) line from 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr to 36 St.

You may wait longer for a northbound ‌(F) train as they share tracks with these rerouted trains.

Posted: 08/10/2023 08:55 AM

1 minute ago, Lil 57 said:

Think (N) trains in Queens just sit there until the Signal problems are resolved.

and the ones in Manhattan likely reverse to Manhattan starting from the Astoria-bound platform at Queensboro Plaza, since technically, the Astoria-bound local track is out of service, and the express track is signed up for Astoria-bound service. Some (N)s will probably also turn around at Times Sq-42 St to prevent a long line of backed up (N)(R) trains in the tunnel

Wonderful! Clap for yourself MTA and car maintenance! Another R46 has bit the dust. No (N)(W) between Times Sq-42 St and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd since a Manhattan-bound (N) train (obviously an R46) lost power on the curve approaching Queensboro Plaza. People trapped on the train since 3PM and still have not been moved off the train, no A/C, in this weather. Reminiscent of the R46 (F) train that lost power a few summers ago around Broadway-Lafayette St. These cars have GOT to go ASAP.

Edited by darkstar8983

35 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Wonderful! Clap for yourself MTA and car maintenance! Another R46 has bit the dust. No (N)(W) between Times Sq-42 St and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd since a Manhattan-bound (N) train (obviously an R46) lost power on the curve approaching Queensboro Plaza. People trapped on the train since 3PM and still have not been moved off the train, no A/C, in this weather. Reminiscent of the R46 (F) train that lost power a few summers ago around Broadway-Lafayette St. These cars have GOT to go ASAP.

I wonder why this is affecting the (7) tho, there is massive delays on the (7) 

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Probably both Manhattan bound tracks had to have their power turned off to evacuate the passengers from the (N) which started at 5PM, two hours after the train broke down

Wouldn't they send a rescue train behind the disabled train and evacuate passengers that way rather have passengers walk on the tracks? 

I was on an (N) train that crashed into an tree branch on the Sea Beach and got disabled and they sent a rescue train right behind it and we had to walk though the cabs (Both trains was R160s) to get to the rescue train. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Wouldn't they send a rescue train behind the disabled train and evacuate passengers that way rather have passengers walk on the tracks? 

I was on an (N) train that crashed into an tree branch on the Sea Beach and got disabled and they sent a rescue train right behind it and we had to walk though the cabs (Both trains was R160s) to get to the rescue train. 

That's relatively simple with cars generally built to the IND standard, but for 75-footers, that's an entirely different story, doubly so on curves.

8 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

There’s obviously something missing in this situation. I’m no expert on R46 equipment but when you say that a train lost power where I come from that means traction power. I can’t see how that affects the AC in the car(s) on the train. I’ve been involved with other than head end operations maybe 5 times in 30 years but I have never heard of a whole consist losing power. That calls for second car operation. I’ve done it with experienced Motor Instructors without any problems. That’s why I don’t like the NTT equipment compared to the SMEE stuff. When I was a Conductor in school car we were taught how to read the signals and the iron so technically we could move the train without supervision on the scene. Be aware that any type of equipment can die at any time. The R46 is old and is being replaced but there’s no guarantee that the new equipment will be far superior than the old model. Just my thoughts. YMMV. Carry on.

8 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

They couldn’t because the issue happened on essentially a 90 degree curve, so maybe the the train cars couldn’t line up well, especially with 75 foot train cars. Wait until someone ends up dying from medical complications during these incidents.

6 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

There’s obviously something missing in this situation. I’m no expert on R46 equipment but when you say that a train lost power where I come from that means traction power. I can’t see how that affects the AC in the car(s) on the train. I’ve been involved with other than head end operations maybe 5 times in 30 years but I have never heard of a whole consist losing power. That calls for second car operation. I’ve done it with experienced Motor Instructors without any problems. That’s why I don’t like the NTT equipment compared to the SMEE stuff. When I was a Conductor in school car we were taught how to read the signals and the iron so technically we could move the train without supervision on the scene. Be aware that any type of equipment can die at any time. The R46 is old and is being replaced but there’s no guarantee that the new equipment will be far superior than the old model. Just my thoughts. YMMV. Carry on.

If I remember correctly, that (F) lost all power, not just traction power. I'm not sure if that happened with that (N), but if it did, oh boy.

53 minutes ago, Lex said:

If I remember correctly, that (F) lost all power, not just traction power. I'm not sure if that happened with that (N), but if it did, oh boy.

Yep it did. A friend of mine was on his way to meet up with me and showed me the videos of literally being stuck on the train for two hours, and they couldn’t get out. No AC, no lights. At least it was above ground so that way they had sunlight but the train lost power on the curve entering Queensboro Plaza 

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Yep it did. A friend of mine was on his way to meet up with me and showed me the videos of literally being stuck on the train for two hours, and they couldn’t get out. No AC, no lights. At least it was above ground so that way they had sunlight but the train lost power on the curve entering Queensboro Plaza 

I actually got a text after my post saying that I had overlooked the obvious. Loss of third rail power in that location. I was reminded of the frequent radio announcements from the Command Center about power outages around the Gold Street/ DeKalb area and how we IRT folks from Brooklyn would give folks alternate directions to reach their BMT south destinations. Nevins, Atlantic, Bergen, Grand Army Plaza were all good for bus service and Franklin had bus service and the Shuttle. Sorry for overlooking the obvious last night. My apologies. Carry on. 

12 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I actually got a text after my post saying that I had overlooked the obvious. Loss of third rail power in that location. I was reminded of the frequent radio announcements from the Command Center about power outages around the Gold Street/ DeKalb area and how we IRT folks from Brooklyn would give folks alternate directions to reach their BMT south destinations. Nevins, Atlantic, Bergen, Grand Army Plaza were all good for bus service and Franklin had bus service and the Shuttle. Sorry for overlooking the obvious last night. My apologies. Carry on. 

Thanks for clarifying

This is exactly why dogs aren’t allowed in the subway unless in a traveling container.

There is no (4)(5)(6)<6> service in Manhattan in both directions while NYPD responds to a dog on the tracks near Grand Central-42 St. 

(5) trains are running on the (2) line between 149 St-Grand Concourse and Nevins St in both directions. 

There is extremely limited (4)(6) service between 86 St and 125 St.

The last stop on northbound (4) trains will be Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr or Bowling Green.

Avoid (4)(5) and (6) trains.

As an alternative, consider using nearby 123 NQRW trains or M101, M102, M103, and M15 buses.