Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

Here's a case of two conflicting service changes - If there's still the problem at Prospect Ave (broken rail perhaps) that's been going on all afternoon, then the N would be unable to run on the local track stopping at Prospect Ave, while the R bypasses it on the express tracks.

Service Change  Posted: 01/11/2014  7:03PM

Due to switch problems at 36 St (Bklyn), northbound n.png trains are running local from 59 St to Atlantic Av-Barclays Center.

Allow additional travel time.

Service Change  Posted: 01/11/2014  6:08PM

Due to track maintenance at Prospect Av, northbound r.png train service running express from 59 St (BKLYN) to Atlantic Av- Barclays Center.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what happens when the D express tracks between West 4th and 34th are shut down for weekend track work.  If the local tracks are then shut down for FDNY activity, then the whole (downtown) 6th Ave line must be shut down.

Service Change  Posted: 01/11/2014 11:28PM

Due to FDNY activity at 23 St southbound f.png via e.png from Roosevelt Av to W4 St.

Southbound d.png via a.png from 59 St to W4 St, then via f.png to 2 Av.

Allow additional travel time

What a horrible day on the N/R line.  Can't forget the 45 minute wait I had around 3:30pm for a Bay Ridge R at Times Square due to an earlier problem at Queensboro Plaza (according to the announcement.) 

Service Change  Posted: 01/11/2014  9:55PM

Due to switch problems at 36 St (Bklyn), the following service changes are in effect:

Northbound n.png trains are running local from 59 St to Atlantic Av-Barclays Center.

Some northbound d.png trains are running on the n.png line from Coney Island-Stillwell Av to 36 St (Bklyn).

Service Change  Posted: 01/11/2014  8:59PM

Due to track maintenance at Prospect Av, northbound r.png train service running express from 59 St (BKLYN) to Atlantic Av- Barclays Center.

Edited by RtrainBlues

The IND is closed from WTC to Broadway Junction due to a rail condition at Jay St.

Trackwork is closing the downtown Rutgers St tunnel, no (F) advisory has been posted.

Something doesn't add up.

EDIT: (C) remains suspended; northbound (A)'s turn at Utica, some southbound (A)'s turning at WTC but it appears that some are going through.

Edited by Amtrak7

Whatever the situation is, it may be just south of the switches for southbound trains to cross over to the Culver line, thus, not affecting the (F). Though I wouldn't doubt there are some serious delays on the Brooklyn-bound (F) trains due to the residual effects.

Delays  Posted: 01/15/2014  2:37AM 

Following an earlier incident in the Cranberry Street Tunnela.png train service has resumed with residual delays. 

was a track condition that had them turning at chambers 

Service Change  Posted: 01/15/2014  2:26AM 

Due to a water condition at W 4 St-Washington Square, the following service changes are in effect:

f.png trains are running on the e.png line in both directions from W 4 St-Washington Square to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av.

No d.png train service in both directions between Dekalb Av and 34 St-Herald Square.

Service Change  Posted: 01/15/2014  4:06AM 

Due to a water condition at W 4 St-Washington Square, the following service changes are in effect:

f.png trains are running on the e.png line in both directions from W 4 St-Washington Square to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av.

No d.png train service in both directions between Dekalb Av and 34 St-Herald Square.

Customers are advised to take extended q.png train service at 57 St- 7 Av for northbound f.png service and at 21 St- Queens-Bridge for southbound f.png service.

Posted: 01/15/2014 6:26AM

Due to a water main break at W 4 St-Washington Square, the following service changes are in effect:

There is no (B) train service in both directions between Bedford Pk Blvd and DeKalb Av.

Northbound (B) trains are rerouted over the (Q) line from DeKalb Av to Astoria-Ditmars Blvd.

There is no (D) train service in both directions between Dekalb Av and 34 St-Herald Square.

(F) trains are running on the (E) line between W 4 St-Washington Square and Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av in both directions.

There is no (M) train service between 36 St (Qns) and Essex St.

Metropolitan Av bound (M) trains are running on the (F) line from 36 St (Qns) to 34 St-Herald Sq.

Wait, I'm confuzzled. Is the M turning at Chambers St or are they seriously trying to send 6th Ave trains through this mess? If the idea is to keep service running on 63rd Street, reroute the damn R through there. There's no need to exacerbate the problem and add to the delays by sending another line through W 4 St lower.

This was a whole thing this morning, moreso than this inauspicious "residual delays" alert could possibly convey. I was on the (R) (1028 Romeo Continental) - at 36 St we get held and eventually diverted to the (F)ox line due to an injured passenger at Queens Plaza. 

Once we were sitting there for a minute I turned on my scanner to see what's going on. (For the legally inclined amongst you, I'm not divulging anything I heard that wasn't eventually said over the PA) 

Pretty routine diversion via 63rd street - for a bit. Once we took the lineup for G3 after Lex and 63rd to connect back over to the Broadway line things got interesting. About two trainlengths into the tunnel we grind to a halt. Apparently this was the first train to go through there since all the crazy winter weather, and ice had built up on the roadbed, over the running rails, halfway up the third rail. I had a peek out the front when the T/O came out and - yep, there was a hell of a lot of ice. 

(My boss had a hard time beleiving that a train was stranded by ice on a clear day...)

After a long bit of coordination between the crew and control we had to wrong-rail back into 63rd/Lex. I think the T/O had to get out and manually drive a stop arm down too. The looks on peoples faces on the platform were pretty priceless. There was some back and forth over whether the train would wrong rail back to the interlocking south of Roosevelt Island and continue queensbound, or if it would go southbound via the F - eventually went Via F to 2nd ave, delayed about 45 minutes. 

I'd have been upset but that was a hell of an interesting thing to listen to on the radio. 

So thats why there was a (R) at 47th-50th.Thanks for the info,I was very confused when that came in...

07:48 Update:

(B) - Broadway Express, Brighton Local - Ditmars Blvd to Brighton Beach

(C) - express between 59 St-Columbus Circle and Canal St

(D) - Broadway Express, West End Express - 57 St-7 Av to Coney Island

(D) - Central Park West Express - 205 St to 34 St-Herald Sq

(F) - 8 Av Local - Jamaica-179 St to Coney Island

(J) / (Z) - local between Myrtle Av and Marcy Av

(M) - Nassau St Local (Limited Service) - Metropolitan Av to Chambers St or Essex St

I got on an (M) train at 67th Ave. It was running between 71st Ave and 34th St. This was at 7:40 AM. The M was going via Queensbridge, so I had to change trains at Roosevelt. Tried to get on an (F) train there, but it was going over the (G) (yes, G) line, so I had to take the following (E) train. Look what one water main break can do.

Due to signal problems on Lexington Avenue, 4, 5 and 6 trains are running with delays in both directions between Bowling Green and 125 St.

As an alternate customers are advised to use the following buses for nearby station stops: M15, M101, M102 and M103.

How do signal problems screw up the entire lex?

(5) trains ran via the (2) in both directions between GC and Nevins. The mainline A Division IRT routes were severely delayed northbound coming from Brooklyn.

Also, earlier this morning was horrible on my commute to school. Waited nearly a half hour for a southbound A/C at Utica. And a friend told me that the (F) also ran via 53rd.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

And i got caught in it...was in a (4) train and we got held near Bergen for a few minutes. We started moving again and the C/R said Atlantic will be the next stop. We get to Atlantic and the train stayed in service and no one was aware. Just a big crowd pushing out and an even bigger crowd pushing in...

Caught a screenshot of the delays, i love this app...

1507661_10202295351579525_1395117293_n.j

Yellow highlighted trains means its in realtime

And i got caught in it...was in a (4) train and we got held near Bergen for a few minutes. We started moving again and the C/R said Atlantic will be the next stop. We get to Atlantic and the train stayed in service and no one was aware. Just a big crowd pushing out and an even bigger crowd pushing in...

Caught a screenshot of the delays, i love this app...

1507661_10202295351579525_1395117293_n.j

Yellow highlighted trains means its in realtime

Somewhat OT but if a highlight means its realtime then why is a (D) four (Q) s and two (B) s highlighted?

Edited by Around the Horn

(5) trains ran via the (2) in both directions between GC and Nevins. The mainline A Division IRT routes were severely delayed northbound coming from Brooklyn.

Also, earlier this morning was horrible on my commute to school. Waited nearly a half hour for a southbound A/C at Utica. And a friend told me that the (F) also ran via 53rd.

That A/C must have been PACKED!

Somewhat OT but if a highlight means its realtime then why is a (D) four (Q) s and two (B) s highlighted?

The yellow means "Location based on reported data" which can mean realtime data like the A division and (L) train, or passengers on board trains manually reporting delayed or early trains.

Say you're on the Brighton line and you're on a train that's been delayed. It's supposed to be at Prospect Park but it's at Church Ave, you can indirectly "drag" the train back to its actual location by adjusting the time in increments of 15 seconds.

Edited by N6 Limited

That A/C must have been PACKED!

After waiting nearly 30 minutes, the (A) arrived and it was crowded (not crushed) actually. My friend was on the same train from Upper Manhattan and told me that it was crushed loaded until Fulton-Broadway/Nassau. The (C) was also severely overcrowded. In Brooklyn, however, both trains weren't too badly crowded.