MTA To Change Flashing Blue Lights On Select Bus Service Vehicles

Cait Sith

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority agreed to change the flashing blue lights on its Select Bus Service.

The decision comes months after local elected officials raised concerns that the lights were causing confusion among drivers.

The lights on the select buses alert riders that their bus is approaching.

In September, City Councilman Vincent Ignizio and state Sen. Andrew Lanza wrote a letter to the MTA asking it to discontinue the use of blue flashing lights on the buses.

They say a state law prohibits such lights on non-emergency vehicles.

Some Islanders say it has caused them to unnecessarily pull over because they thought an emergency vehicle was approaching.

A spokeswoman for the MTA said the agency is still working out the details, but changes will be made over the next few months.

Source -- http://statenisland.ny1.com/content/top_stories/174041/mta-to-change-flashing-blue-lights-on-select-bus-service-vehicles

--------------------------------------

How exactly is this going to work....if they change the color, it wont even go right with the bloody scheme itself!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh give me a f9cking break... People are confused about it being an Emergency Vehicle..??? Thats just stupid... In the Bronx/Manhattan territories I don't see people complaining on my rides on the SBS... Some even tell others that the blue lights mean the SBS is coming.... If it was soooo much of an issue, then why wait sooo late to complain? I mean I think before there was complaints, but I can't remember.. But regardless, don't have any problems with the lights...

These people need to just shut the hell up and get use to it, like the rest of us up here... Heh what about School buses and its Yellow/Red Blinking lights? Not EM enough..........?

Oh give me a f9cking break... People are confused about it being an Emergency Vehicle..??? Thats just stupid... In the Bronx/Manhattan territories I don't see people complaining on my rides on the SBS... Some even tell others that the blue lights mean the SBS is coming.... If it was soooo much of an issue, then why wait sooo late to complain? I mean I think before there was complaints, but I can't remember.. But regardless, don't have any problems with the lights...

These people need to just shut the hell up and get use to it, like the rest of us up here... Heh what about School buses and its Yellow/Red Blinking lights? Not EM enough..........?

The cheese buses are different because of the stop sign and the lights being regular signal lights, people actually follow it.

There were massive complaints since it debuted on the Bx12, I just wonder what finally made them decide to go through with it....

The cheese buses are different because of the stop sign and the lights being regular signal lights, people actually follow it.

There were massive complaints since it debuted on the Bx12, I just wonder what finally made them decide to go through with it....

Had a feeling about the complaints since the Bx12. I'm just curious of what lights can be used instead of the blue lights...

To me, blue lights on SBS makes dark sky bright and it is very easy to see.

I wonder what light could see in dark beside blue?

Passengers are already familar with blue light. If they change colors, passengers and tourists might get confuse little.

I don't think some drivers or horse carriage drivers don't obey when emergency vehicle approaches.

The MTA breaks a state law, and it takes this long for them to react... They are a state agency, so who cares right? Just put the lights up, and knowingly break the law. No consequences will occur as a result. Take pics of yourself half-naked, leave office. That's not a state law though.

I could care less about the complaints, I find no issue with the lights themselves, but if it's a state law not to have them up - take them down.

@RFC: Many vehicles in Manhattan don't pull over for any emergency vehicle, even though they are supposed to get ticketed for not doing that. Just saying.

@aemoreira81: Green! Green! Green! I would be so hype to see that take it's place, as it is my favorite color. They should do the whole scheme in green, since it's promoting a speedier trip.

If they change the lights, can they have them just blue, without blinking? I believe that many people think it would be an emergency vehicle because the blue lights are blinking. If they just have them blue without blinking, then the color scheme of the bus would still go along with it, and it would not cause a lot of disruptions.

If they change the lights, can they have them just blue, without blinking? I believe that many people think it would be an emergency vehicle because the blue lights are blinking. If they just have them blue without blinking, then the color scheme of the bus would still go along with it, and it would not cause a lot of disruptions.

I'd see nothin wrong with that...

I mean, is there any reason that the lights on the +SBS'+ have to flash the way they do (honest question)?

----------

Aside from that, I have to agree w/ the consensus regarding the color scheme (if there are any actual plans to change the color of the lights)....

You know, I think White lights could be the best option. It would not clash too much with the current scheme. Either that, or just have Orange blinking "hoodlum" lights. But I agree, after almost 5 years of this service, it's only now people complain?

Or aqua LEDs since Aqua is in the scheme.

Swear to god, it's always the reps from SI that come up with the bs legislation like this that messes up the whole rest of the city... Confusing a bus for an ambulance, how dumb are these people? Actually, they voted for Ignizio and Lanza, so I guess that answers it.

Damn, the first post you make in the forum (aside from your introduction of course), and it's already a good one/popular one. Props to you, man. :)

LOL. I knew this was going to happen. Those Staten Islanders out here ALWAYS complaining about the lights "it give me a seizure" , or "i keep getting a heart attack, because i think police are behind me trying to pull me over", or "when i look into the lights they make me go blind" or "they look tacky in the neighborhood".

Shoot, it gives the bus a extra attraction/design.

Don't forget, there's also people out here who LOVE the lights, so why take it away if it benefits riders.

But ehhh, what color? Orange, white, or green?

Well, that is possible...

I don't know if Brett was referring to me, but I'm not trying to say that I am agreeing with the change of the lights. I was just suggesting that, to satisfy both the people who complained and to satisfy the people who like the lights (including me), that the lights should stay blue without blinking.

I apologize for if there was a misunderstanding.

Archived