New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

16 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

From the njtransit.com bus page.

This is interesting.... So the #196 resumes normal service today... This is an important notice too.

Good to know that NJT is letting us know that a route that doesn't normally run on weekends, isn't running today :lol::lol::lol:

You know, while I was driving and that announcement just blared for all to hear, I just 🤦‍♂️

Edited by 46Dover

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, 46Dover said:

You know, while I was driving and that announcement just blared for all to hear, I just 🤦‍♂️

Lmao I remember when I was driving and someone confused the 319 for the 308 for a detour and I was like “since when does the 308 go to Atlantic City? Wait a minute…”

Nice to see a bus operator driving Wayne's 19093 MCI cruiser on route 171 today. Riders on that line had to feel themselves when being on that bus, especially at GS Plaza, Fairlawn  and along Broadway in Paterson.😯

Market Street's Nabi suburban trash needs to go immediately 🤮

5 hours ago, FlxMtroD said:

Nice to see a bus operator driving Wayne's 19093 MCI cruiser on route 171 today. Riders on that line had to feel themselves when being on that bus, especially at GS Plaza, Fairlawn  and along Broadway in Paterson.😯

Market Street's Nabi suburban trash needs to go immediately 🤮

Blech, Downtown Paterson is a shit show. I hope I never do the 161 again…

6 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Random thought why don't they split the 108 between Hilton and ironbound, they are both equal time between the Newark terminal end

Another one has an artic shown up on the 52?

Why do that split of the 108 when Ironbound has issues keeping drivers? The 108 is fine at Hilton

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Accident this morning on the AC Expressway.  NJ Transit bus lost control and went to the woods. 

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/transportation-and-transit/nj-transit-bus-crashes-into-woods-off-atlantic-city-expressway/3138050/

Isn’t that like the 4th incident in the southern division for the last 6 months?

Why can't you buy 551 tickets in the app? It's not listed in the list of routes and you can only choose 319 stops when you put in Atlantic City as an origin (In Atlantic City right now).

Is it because I have an NYC address and not an Philly or South Jeresy address?

EDIT: NONE of the NJT bus routes that go into Philly are in the app, WTF?

Edited by trainfan22

7 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Why can't you buy 551 tickets in the app? It's not listed in the list of routes and you can only choose 319 stops when you put in Atlantic City as an origin (In Atlantic City right now).

Is it because I have an NYC address and not an Philly or South Jeresy address?

EDIT: NONE of the NJT bus routes that go into Philly are in the app, WTF?

change area code in profile to at Atlantic city one

Edited by nightmare402

2 hours ago, nightmare402 said:

change area code in profile to at Atlantic city one

It's stupid one has to do that in the first place. You can buy riverline and Atlantic City rail line tickets in the app... both of which are in south Jeresy with an NYC zip code but you gotta change your zip code to purchase bus tickets for a South Jeresy bus route SMH.

I had planned an 319 - 551 - Riverline - NJT NEC fantrip, but had to change plans and take the Atlantic City line train instead to the Riverline due to that nonsense with the app.

I enjoyed my ride on the Atlantic City rail line, first time riding it, very nice route! Also rode the 319 for the first time today.

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Isn’t that like the 4th incident in the southern division for the last 6 months?

Washington Twp. This is the issue when you cut training time. Can’t blame no one but njt. Washington Twp is short 50 operators. 

I’ve done the 551 and that stretch from exit 17 to exit 28 going west and east is pure tunnel vision. If your not used to working nights do not even think about working the 551 or the 319. 

1 hour ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Washington Twp. This is the issue when you cut training time. Can’t blame no one but njt. Washington Twp is short 50 operators. 

I’ve done the 551 and that stretch from exit 17 to exit 28 going west and east is pure tunnel vision. If your not used to working nights do not even think about working the 551 or the 319. 

I thought training time was always 21 days? When they change it?

16 hours ago, go25 said:

Why do that split of the 108 when Ironbound has issues keeping drivers? The 108 is fine at Hilton

Oh I see logistically it can't make sense 

Since Hilton is the word of the day 

I got questions about the 52 

1. Can an articulated run in the 52 

2. Has an artic ran on the 52 

3. What are the purpose of those Maggie Ave trips on the 52? 

9 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

To your last point, new ops only train Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4pm, then once you finish training, you immediately get put on a night time run what with bottom of totem pole seniority, that can be a bit of rough transition.  

5 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Oh I see logistically it can't make sense 

Since Hilton is the word of the day 

I got questions about the 52 

1. Can an articulated run in the 52 

2. Has an artic ran on the 52 

3. What are the purpose of those Maggie Ave trips on the 52? 

To answer the first two, yes. There was a picture of an artic covering for a 52 a few months ago. Probably someone who finished up on a 70 run and was asked to cover for a missing 52 trip. Can an artic be used on a full time capacity on the route? Nope, use the artics on the heavy routes, like the 1, 13, 25, 39, 70.

To answer the last question, it gives the route an alternative routing since Morris Ave can get backed up pretty good? Idk

5 hours ago, 46Dover said:

To your last point, new ops only train Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4pm, then once you finish training, you immediately get put on a night time run what with bottom of totem pole seniority, that can be a bit of rough transition.  

And that’s the problem. When I finished training I got thrown on the worst run possible during the night, where it’s an entirely different ballgame.

There needs to be an extra day of JUST night time driving, especially along certain highways.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

And that’s the problem. When I finished training I got thrown on the worst run possible during the night, where it’s an entirely different ballgame.

There needs to be an extra day of JUST night time driving, especially along certain highways.

I actually did Greyhound training back in early 2000s.  There was a whole week dedicated to nighttime driving.  I don’t know if the Southern Division has any 24 hour lines, but the 190 is out of Wayne Garage is good for said training

2 minutes ago, 46Dover said:

I actually did Greyhound training back in early 2000s.  There was a whole week dedicated to nighttime driving.  I don’t know if the Southern Division has any 24 hour lines, but the 190 is out of Wayne Garage is good for said training

Our 551, 552, 553, 554, 559 are the 24hr lines in the south. They need to train these operators at night. But again njt is stuck in the stone ages. 21 days mon-Fri is not enough for these kids that are coming in with no driving experience. 

what I mean by rushing, they are passing them even if the instructor knows they are not fully qualified for the sake of getting work filled. They don’t even properly go over setting up mirrors. 

On 2/9/2022 at 7:07 AM, go25 said:

To answer the first two, yes. There was a picture of an artic covering for a 52 a few months ago. Probably someone who finished up on a 70 run and was asked to cover for a missing 52 trip. Can an artic be used on a full time capacity on the route? Nope, use the artics on the heavy routes, like the 1, 13, 25, 39, 70.

Is it normal for an artic to be on the 99 cause as I post now sitting watching the tracker 20842 running southbound on the 99 is this one of those that come off from other routes?

15 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Is it normal for an artic to be on the 99 cause as I post now sitting watching the tracker 20842 running southbound on the 99 is this one of those that come off from other routes?

It's happened even when the Neoplans were around