New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

14 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

maybe its just me why is the 161 based at wayne when you can send it to Paterson market street garage which is right at it's end of terminal

random thought what are the other routes that end right near a logicial depot but are based at another deopt far away (example the 161)

Market street doesn't have D4500CTs, all they have are the NABIs and MCI D4000s (which are smaller). I wouldn't subject riders to that at all, because the 161 isn't a route that does terrible either. Also, the faster those NABIs go, the better.

What would you exchange though, if you sent the 161 to Market Street. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Market street doesn't have D4500CTs, all they have are the NABIs and MCI D4000s (which are smaller). I wouldn't subject riders to that at all, because the 161 isn't a route that does terrible either. Also, the faster those NABIs go, the better.

What would you exchange though, if you sent the 161 to Market Street. 

i really dont know what can you exchange maybe do a split like the 190?

also maybe send the 74 to big tree and possibly split the 72 with orange?

7 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

i really dont know what can you exchange maybe do a split like the 190?

also maybe send the 74 to big tree and possibly split the 72 with orange?

Dude, stop splitting routes up. Orange shouldn't be covering any other routes, not even the 1. The 72 is perfect for Market St.

5 minutes ago, go25 said:

Dude, stop splitting routes up. Orange shouldn't be covering any other routes, not even the 1. The 72 is perfect for Market St.

lmao this is shifting routes between depots. 

Orange Covers the 1?!  hell is it appropriate for the 126 to also have coverage from ironbound and hilton they should just give it to the northern garages

Edited by BreeddekalbL

38 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

lmao this is shifting routes between depots. 

Orange Covers the 1?!  hell is it appropriate for the 126 to also have coverage from ironbound and hilton they should just give it to the northern garages

Shifting a route like the 72 to Orange is asinine.

Orange and Big Tree only cover rush hour 1 trips, which I question still, if each garage is dealing with a level of short staffing for their own routes.

About the 126, Hilton and Ironbound help out because the other garages in that area are stretched thin. To give you another example, why does Howell help cover the 128?

17 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

I do remember Greenville having some of the 6400s I can't remember which ones though. I remember 6410 and 6420 though since I rode two of them iirc. It was like 2012 or 2013 they were here? Never knew they didn't like the newer buses. But ended up getting 6477 lol.

They had the ones thats at orange now....They where at greenville like a few months only..Drivers i spoke to wasnt use to the jerk when take off....Mainly cause they where use to the nabi surburban and 57xx...I dont know if that was the exact reason transit moved them to orange...They got 6477 to replace the 5700 that was in a accident...

14 hours ago, go25 said:

Shifting a route like the 72 to Orange is asinine.

Orange and Big Tree only cover rush hour 1 trips, which I question still, if each garage is dealing with a level of short staffing for their own routes.

About the 126, Hilton and Ironbound help out because the other garages in that area are stretched thin. To give you another example, why does Howell help cover the 128?

Believe it or not .....Howell been helping the 126 in the morning too with a couple trips despite it using four other garages...Mainly towards NYC

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

Believe it or not .....Howell been helping the 126 in the morning too with a couple trips despite it using four other garages...Mainly towards NYC

I'm aware of that, just using the 128 as an example

41 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The 190 is already a split, with Wayne operating the majority of service (and Meadowlands helping out). 

That reminds me, why is there a constant splitting of routes between depots? I could understand seasonal routes like the 307 and 317, but what about the others?

15 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The 190 is already a split, with Wayne operating the majority of service (and Meadowlands helping out). 

Yep, Meadowlands only does the Rutherford section (including the 122).   I’d laugh if I ever saw one of their 190s actually end up in Paterson....

17 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

That reminds me, why is there a constant splitting of routes between depots? I could understand seasonal routes like the 307 and 317, but what about the others?

Mainly cause some of the garages cant handle some of the route thats assign to them....One route can consist of like 4 to 5 different destinations

Edited by biGC323232

On 3/2/2022 at 6:24 AM, biGC323232 said:

One route can consist of like 4 to 5 different destinations

Always been my biggest gripe with NJT routes.  The 194 had several different lettered variants at one point in the late 1990s and early 2000s, instead of just having separate route numbers..

Any 63,64,68 that that goes into weehawkin and jersey city are supposed to do a 126 into New York. They are not on the paddles but pre pandemic you needed anything you could get.

Howell does the 128 because Oradell is all express in the morning. Meadowlands is tight because they are doing the reverse rush hour on the 166 locals starting at North Marginal and the expresses starting in Leonia, and Bergenfield.

Most 137/139(130,131,132,133,135,136,138) all deadhead to the their assigned lots so it’s easy to have Howell do inbound 128s and 321s. If you look at the PM 128s/321s it’s only a few Howell out there, and it’s mainly Meadowlands in the PM 128 and Fairview 321s. Hindsight it literally makes no sense to have Howell do the 128 and 321 but when you figure out why then it makes sense. Then even help out on the 165 now. I’m not sure if they are still helping on the 112,113,114,116. 

2 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Any 63,64,68 that that goes into weehawkin and jersey city are supposed to do a 126 into New York. They are not on the paddles but pre pandemic you needed anything you could get.

Howell does the 128 because Oradell is all express in the morning. Meadowlands is tight because they are doing the reverse rush hour on the 166 locals starting at North Marginal and the expresses starting in Leonia, and Bergenfield.

Most 137/139(130,131,132,133,135,136,138) all deadhead to the their assigned lots so it’s easy to have Howell do inbound 128s and 321s. If you look at the PM 128s/321s it’s only a few Howell out there, and it’s mainly Meadowlands in the PM 128 and Fairview 321s. Hindsight it literally makes no sense to have Howell do the 128 and 321 but when you figure out why then it makes sense. Then even help out on the 165 now. I’m not sure if they are still helping on the 112,113,114,116. 

Only been seeing Howell help out on the 116, but you never know

4 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Just like how the 320 also isn't a straight run (even though it should be, but that's above my pay grade.)

I'm still confused as to how the 308 operates. If Meadowlands does it, does one go down to the park and stay there until it closes, or do they do a trip on the 319, 139 or 307?

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Just like how the 320 also isn't a straight run (even though it should be, but that's above my pay grade.)

I'm still confused as to how the 308 operates. If Meadowlands does it, does one go down to the park and stay there until it closes, or do they do a trip on the 319, 139 or 307?

No one stays down there. You can thank your fellow operators for screwing that up. The 308 operates on demand. If they have to send 30 buses down they will. All trips out of NY pull a trip down and dhd back to their respective garage. At night buses dhd down to six flags pull it to Newark and New York then dhd back to respective garage. 

Howell puts there 308s with 137/139/319. The 307 no longer exists. 

There are 3 full runs on the 320. The rest are all combos and trippers.

56 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

No one stays down there. You can thank your fellow operators for screwing that up. The 308 operates on demand. If they have to send 30 buses down they will. All trips out of NY pull a trip down and dhd back to their respective garage. At night buses dhd down to six flags pull it to Newark and New York then dhd back to respective garage. 

Howell puts there 308s with 137/139/319. The 307 no longer exists. 

There are 3 full runs on the 320. The rest are all combos and trippers.

Oh so what I heard was true about folks screwing up the 308.

7 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

As a SIx Flags season pass holder I'm curious about what the operators did at the park lol

That 308 is quite the unique operation. I'll be here all day trying to explain what the operation looks like to a passenger.

Fun fact tho: One time I went to Great Adventure and it was pouring in Jackson (only drizzling in NYC). Six Flags made a late call to close for the day less than an hour before it was supposed to open and the bus was already near Jackson (the bus made it to the park since nobody knew the park was closed.) Once we pull up to the entrance of the park and the Six Flags folks tell the driver about the park being closed, he turned around and took us over to Howell. The driver gave us all our tickets back for next time and put us on the next 139 back to NYC.

5 hours ago, paulrivera said:

As a SIx Flags season pass holder I'm curious about what the operators did at the park lol

That 308 is quite the unique operation. I'll be here all day trying to explain what the operation looks like to a passenger.

Fun fact tho: One time I went to Great Adventure and it was pouring in Jackson (only drizzling in NYC). Six Flags made a late call to close for the day less than an hour before it was supposed to open and the bus was already near Jackson (the bus made it to the park since nobody knew the park was closed.) Once we pull up to the entrance of the park and the Six Flags folks tell the driver about the park being closed, he turned around and took us over to Howell. The driver gave us all our tickets back for next time and put us on the next 139 back to NYC.

That’s how it should be done, especially if Fairview or Meadowlands does a tripper on the 308, they should do a 139 back up as a combo.

On 2/28/2022 at 5:41 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

maybe its just me why is the 161 based at wayne when you can send it to Paterson market street garage which is right at it's end of terminal

random thought what are the other routes that end right near a logicial depot but are based at another deopt far away (example the 161)

Route 190 is another.

Market Street doesn't have the room for 40 or so additional cruisers for those two lines alone. Plus those lines run 45 footers. Market St maintenance bay doesn't allow 45 foot buses on it, but that's changing now as the garage is being refurbish and possibly expanded... correct me if I'm wrong about the additional space.  Wayne's cruisers, which all are 45'  have been popping up on occasion there

On 3/5/2022 at 4:14 PM, Lawrence St said:

HKTDdFV.png

Uh, why was there an artic on the 355 earlier? Since when can an artic even fit at American Dream?

Non-issue.... It doesn't necessarily have to pull into one of the bays (where the #85, #703, and #772 do).... I can see it picking up in that area that the #355 normally goes on layover at (proximate to the entrance on that side of the mall, where the TVM's are at)...