New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Non-issue.... It doesn't necessarily have to pull into one of the bays (where the #85, #703, and #772 do).... I can see it picking up in that area that the #355 normally goes on layover at (proximate to the entrance on that side of the mall, where the TVM's are at)...

Yeah, there was also an artic on the 85 yesterday.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NJT XD60 20910 is the most SOLID built Xcelsior I've ever witnessed. Not a single rattle can be heard, especially leave PABT. Listen to how this bus just EATS those potholes up starting at 1:15. So the build quality is there! VERY THERE. Its just not consistent. I was very very impressed. This video was from Aug 2021. I wonder how the bus is doing now.

39 minutes ago, FlxMtroD said:

Riding Wayne's 19177 on the 74U to Newark at the time of riding this

wonder why your not on the tracker 

also there are artics on the 99 1 bout to leave branch branch brook southnound other 2 heading sb 1 to short turn at the hospital 

Edited by BreeddekalbL

3 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

also there are artics on the 99 1 bout to leave branch branch brook southnound other 2 heading sb 1 to short turn at the hospital 

The operator isn’t signed in. If you look at the sign history it should show up.

Suburban Transit has been operating bare-bones service between Princeton and New Brunswick for over 2 years now. While the first 6 months or so made sense, theres no excuse for failing to restore the local service.

Does NJT have any requirements they must meet to keep the route or can they do this forever?

On 3/22/2022 at 2:06 AM, jass said:

Suburban Transit has been operating bare-bones service between Princeton and New Brunswick for over 2 years now. While the first 6 months or so made sense, theres no excuse for failing to restore the local service.

Does NJT have any requirements they must meet to keep the route or can they do this forever?

That is Suburban's route. They can do it forever. It will be increased slowly as the NYC traffic improves as it is likely not sustainable without the high yield NYC traffic.

On 3/29/2022 at 12:11 PM, JAzumah said:

That is Suburban's route. They can do it forever. It will be increased slowly as the NYC traffic improves as it is likely not sustainable without the high yield NYC traffic.

So private carriers are able to monopolize a route without the need to meet any kinds of service standards?

4 hours ago, jass said:

So private carriers are able to monopolize a route without the need to meet any kinds of service standards?

Legally, there is no monopoly. Another private company can compete with them if the business is there and they don't fear retaliation.

5 hours ago, mfs NJT459 said:

I'm pissed about this cause I wanted to ride an 551 to or from Philadelphia Greyhound terminal and with this change it looks like I won't get the chance to :(

I was planning an Greyhound to Philly - 551 - 319 fantrip but it looks like it will have to be an NJT NEC - Riverline - 551 - 319 trip instead.

I have no idea where the NJT routes that still go into Philly terminate/start at in Center City so I'm just gonna avoid that take Philly bus to Camden and transfer nonsense.

NJT south jersey riders don't have the political pull to force NJT to send those routes cut back to Camden into Philly (but terminate on the street)? 

Edited by trainfan22

On 3/31/2022 at 10:01 PM, JAzumah said:

Legally, there is no monopoly. Another private company can compete with them if the business is there and they don't fear retaliation.

My understanding was that NJT cannot launch a competing route, is that correct?

On 3/11/2022 at 2:37 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

Buses will not track on a line if not logged in to the clever. If your logged in manually as said line, the time prediction will be based off of the time it left the start point and not as the bus is moving if in automatic mode.

19 hours ago, jass said:

My understanding was that NJT cannot launch a competing route, is that correct?

They can in theory, but it is their policy not to do so. NJT's resources are very thin and if the private sector is providing a service, they will try and avoid competing with them.