R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

The test train is making simulated stops on the (7) local track right now, signed up NIS.

It's not running a test. Those converted cars are ready. They are being used to get crews familiarized. Conductors are practicing getting familiar with the door controls which is why they open on the opposite side. Train Operators are getting familiar with handling the operation of the train since the position of the master controller is moved.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This new R188 really has me thinking. So I wonder if more cars will be ordered to be used on the (6) train as well. Also I also am skeptical about an "R188A" provided by Bombarider which would consist of converted standard R142s and an order would consist of new builds as well to replace the aging R62/R62As. I would expect ultilization on the A division to look like this if the MTA decided to buy more R188s and introduce R188A.

R188 (Kawasaki): (1), (6), (7)

R188A (Bombarider): (2), (3), (4), (5)

I love how it's so easy to pick out the brand new car at the end of the set. Sticks out like a sore thumb lol.

(not mine)

The brand new car is not at the end of the set. (On the converted sets, none of the A cars are new.)

This new R188 really has me thinking. So I wonder if more cars will be ordered to be used on the (6) train as well. Also I also am skeptical about an "R188A" provided by Bombarider which would consist of converted standard R142s and an order would consist of new builds as well to replace the aging R62/R62As. I would expect ultilization on the A division to look like this if the MTA decided to buy more R188s and introduce R188A.

All of the new R188's are for fleet growth. None of the R188's are replacing any existing cars.

The brand new car is not at the end of the set. (On the converted sets, none of the A cars are new.)

I think we was referring to the new car (7899)'s general position, which was towards the end of the set (second-to-last car).

As for why it's easy to pick out, it's the LED lighting that's most prominent. Though what I hadn't noticed before were the apparently tinted passenger windows. 

The R188 order is only for the Number (7) line to enable it to run cbtc.The (6) line will consist of what ever R142As remain that wont be converted , and of all of the R62As that currently run on the  (7) wich most were originally from the (6) . You still have about 12-14 yrs before there can be talks about replacing any of the R62/As 

Edited by R62AR33

The R188 order is only for the Number (7) line to enable it to run cbtc.The (6) line will consist of what ever R142As remain that wont be converted , and of all of the R62As that currently run on the  (7) wich most were originally from the (6) . You still have about 12-14 yrs before there can be talks about replacing any of the R62/As 

Well the R62s are quite old being built from 1983-1985. And however long that takes for MTA to decide on replacing them, I was giving a thought on the R188 and a hypothetical R188A replacing them.

Well the R62s are quite old being built from 1983-1985. And however long that takes for MTA to decide on replacing them, I was giving a thought on the R188 and a hypothetical R188A replacing them.

Remember a subway car must be 40 yrs old before it can be retired unless there is something wrong with it where it is not fit for passanger service anymore . Considering that the Oldest R62 is 30 and the Youngest is 28 and the Oldest R62A is 28 and the youngest is 26 you still have about 12 -15 yrs roughly before they can get retired , by the time the ta orders its replacements , there will be issues likely with their replacement order as usual, so don't be shocked if we see the R62/As for at least 14-17 yrs more only time will tell .

Edited by R62AR33

Remember a subway car must be 40 yrs old before it can be retired unless there is something wrong with it where it is not fit for passanger service anymore . Considering that the Oldest R62 is 30 and the Youngest is 28 and the Oldest R62A is 28 and the youngest is 26 you still have about 12 -15 yrs roughly before they can get retired , by the time the ta orders its replacements , there will be issues likely with their replacement order as usual, so don't be shocked if we see the R62/As for at least 14-17 yrs more only time will tell .

Don't worry I'm not shocked. The R62s are brand new compared to the R32s that are still operating on the  (C) and have been recently assigned to the  (J) / (Z)  too. But I prefer the R142/R188 since they are better trains.