R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

2141-2145 were originally from the (3) actually and i caught it on the (7) line last week so it can't be back on the (6) already since there have been no more R62As transfered to the (6) as of late.

R62A Car Numbers on the (6) as of late are :

1741-1750

1721-1725,1731-1735

2191-2195 . 1791-1795

It was from the (3) and unless he's talking about 2191-2195 that are on the (6) and is borrowed from the (1)

No the (3) only operates R62s It doesn't run R62As.

The (1)(6)(7)(S) are the only cars running R62As.

They are both borrowed from the (1)

The orange strip is for Livonia Yard, which is how you can tell the R62 set on the (1) is from the (3).

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

2141-2145 is originally from the 1 line. That Red Strip under the car body number stands for 240th Maintenance shop. The 3 line does not own nor does it run any R62As.

It came from the (3) in 2002-3 originally they were on the (3) 2145 is currently at corona it was on the (6)

Any 240th St R62A is NOT staying on the (6) its just a loaner

2141-2145 was from the (3) and then was sent to the (7) in 2002-2003 along with the rest of R62As that formely ran on the (3) and (6) and it is still on flushing right now i caught it last week,unless you both  talking about 2191-2195 that are on the (6) currently and it is borrowed from the (1) .

Ok if you're going to provide a history lesson on how the 3 line used to run R62As then you should give out the full information. Otherwise if it's on the 7 then it's originally from the 7. If it's on the 1 then it's originally from the 1 since I'm certain that no one here is having a discussion about car movements from 10 years ago.

2141-2145 were originally from the (3) actually and i caught it on the (7) line last week so it can't be back on the (6) already since there have been no more R62As transfered to the (6) as of late.

1741-1750

1721-1725,1731-1735

2191-2195 . 1791-1795

Ok if you're going to provide a history lesson on how the 3 line used to run R62As then you should give out the full information. Otherwise if it's on the 7 then it's originally from the 7. If it's on the 1 then it's originally from the 1 since I'm certain that no one here is having a discussion about car movements from 10 years ago.

I am sorry I meant 2191-2195. I read the numbers wrong. 2141-2145 was actually originated for the (3) before they were permanently paired. Remember the R62A had randomized pairing before they made it permanent. Just before 9-11 they made the overhaul (not sure if that's the right word). If you can recall, before they were paired, for many weekends there were only 8 car sets on the (1) line to apply the fix. I'm not sure if the full cab was added when the R62A was delivered but I was a kid so I don't remember all that. I do remember seeing only 8 cars for many weekends in a row to apply the fix for A-B-B-B-A, A-B-B-B-A cab styles. I can vouch for that because every time the train ending up in the 242nd street terminal there were always two missing cars. It is possible the (3) had 2141-5.

Edited by junjun441

I haven't been on this thread in a while so what is new with the R188's?

I've seen YouTube videos on test runs on Gun Hill RD  (5) Dyre Ave Line. Sounds just like the R142A. I'm wondering why they are still using strip maps.

Edited by junjun441

I've seen YouTube videos on test runs on Gun Hill RD  (5) Dyre Ave Line. Sounds just like the R142A. I'm wondering why they are still using strip maps.

Because the R188s will be exclusively used for the (7) line, no other lines. There won't be a need for strip maps. Earlier in this thread there was a discussion about this,

Because the R188s will be exclusively used for the (7) line, no other lines. There won't be a need for strip maps. Earlier in this thread there was a discussion about this,

You totally right. Maybe it would have worked for the (2) and (5) but its only two lines. You are right strip maps are cheaper and are best for 1 line

You totally right. Maybe it would have worked for the (2) and (5) but its only two lines. You are right strip maps are cheaper and are best for 1 line

Strip maps are for every A division line the (1) , (3) , (7) use them on their R62/As and the (6) will get them as more R62As get swapped back,the (2) , (4) , (5) and (6) have them on their NTTs as well but it won't be needed for Flushing since the R188s will never see service anywhere else than the (7) , as just said by Union TPKE there was a discussion on this earlier in the thread.

Edited by R62AR33

1741-1750

1721-1725,1731-1735

2191-2195 . 1791-1795

2141-2145 was from the (3) and then was sent to the (7) in 2002-2003 along with the rest of R62As that formely ran on the (3) and (6) and it is still on flushing right now i caught it last week,unless you both  talking about 2191-2195 that are on the (6) currently and it is borrowed from the (1) .

No the (3) only operates R62s It doesn't run R62As.

The (1)(6)(7)(S) are the only cars running R62As.

They are both borrowed from the (1)

The orange strip is for Livonia Yard, which is how you can tell the R62 set on the (1) is from the (3).

Ok let's clear this up. Since you guys are talking about way back in the early 2000s, then yes, Those single units were on the 3. Today it is only R62s. Orange strip used to represent the 4 line. Blue for the 3, Yellow for the 6. Eventually purple will probably represent the 6 (unless they were to bring back the yellow strips).

Edited by Grand Concourse

Ok let's clear this up. Since you guys are talking about way back in the early 2000s, then yes, Those single units were on the 3. Today it is only R62s. Orange strip used to represent the 4 line. Blue for the 3, Yellow for the 6. Eventually purple will probably represent the 6 (unless they were to bring back the yellow strips).

Exactly on all points made. That has been my observations.

I just wanted to add that it's to my understanding that Rail Car Division (pardon if i got the official designation wrong) may be doing away with the color code system to visually indicate designation of yard assignments on the rolling stock body frames, A and B division alike, as per a veteran member who is in the MTA Subways RTO Division. As to when though? No word on that as yet, no idea.

Edited by realizm

From what iv heard eventually Westchester will bring back the Yellow sticker likely next year , just more R62As have to get swapped , as well the day before yesterday , All 3 R62As were running back to back on the (6) without any R142As  in between them , one set was going to parkchester and the other 2 to Pelham Bay Park. 

Edited by R62AR33

r62s

The Regular Kawasaki R62s will likely never return to the (4) , u might see a set pop up here and there but that's about it that only happens if an R142/A broke down and the (5) or (6) can't lend a set then they would need to borrow an R62 from the (3) , as for R62As Flushing owns 450 R62As , 400 are for the (6) , 380  from the swaps and then 20 for spares , from the 50 that remain , you likely will see 1 or 2 sets on the (4) , depends if they decide to either split them with the (1) or (4) , or just the (1) .

Edited by R62AR33

I'm somewhat suprised about the entire (7) route and the R188s. I mean once this whole project is finish, expect more delays near its terminals especially during rush hour with more trains being added to this line. Just like the (L). CBTC only increases capacity a bit anyway. Take a good look at the two-tracked 34th Street (future south terminal) and you'll see my point.

Let me just say that I cannot wait for the IRT Lexington Avenue Line to get CBTC in the further future (right now its signalling system much like the rest of mainline A Division is not up for replacement). So that way crowding on said corridor can be relieved too, especially on the much more busier/demanding (6) service. All best for the future. The future (Q) can only relieve the upper portion of the Lex anyway and the rest of Second Avenue Subway won't even be finish until years later when the (T) finally becomes implemented.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

If I'm not mistaken, there will be tail tracks west of the Hudson Yards terminal so trains won't be held at the terminal proper like at 8 Av/14 St. Flushing-Main has its three-track terminal so it's a bit more flexible than Rockaway Pkwy.

I'm somewhat suprised about the entire (7) route and the R188s. I mean once this whole project is finish, expect more delays near its terminals especially during rush hour with more trains being added to this line. Just like the (L). CBTC only increases capacity a bit anyway. Take a good look at the two-tracked 34th Street (future south terminal) and you'll see my point.

The reason there are delays approaching the terminals on the L is that CBTC speeds up the trains, but the schedules are still based on the pre-CBTC running times.

The Flushing line is in need of a new signal system. Are you suggesting that it should have gotten a brand new wayside signal system rather than CBTC?

The Flushing line is in need of a new signal system. Are you suggesting that it should have gotten a brand new wayside signal system rather than CBTC?

I'm not suggesting it shouldn't have gotten CBTC. I'm just saying that the (7) will get delayed more due to the reasons mention in the first sentence of my previous post. But now that Lance has pointed out that there will be storage tracks south of 34th and that Flushing is still a bit more flexible due to its three-track layout, I now realized that I was wrong. Am I clear enough now?

Edited by RollOverMyHead

The reason there are delays approaching the terminals on the L is that CBTC speeds up the trains, but the schedules are still based on the pre-CBTC running times.

You have alot of knowledge and workable mathematical skill on statistics indeed where it pertains to transit, it is supurb. But what you need to understand is how to educate younger ones on the facts with transit not scold them for certain gaps in the understanding of it. 

Edited by realizm

I'm not suggesting it shouldn't have gotten CBTC. I'm just saying that the (7) will get delayed more due to the reasons mention in the first sentence of my previous post. But now that Lance has pointed out that there will be storage tracks south of 34th and that Flushing is still a bit more flexible due to its three-track layout, I now realized that I was wrong. Am I clear enough now?

I don't think that has anything to do with it. If a train arrives at the terminal interlocking while all tracks are still occupied, it has to wait until one of the trains leaves the terminal. If trains are now typically approaching the terminal a minute or two early, because CBTC allows them to run faster, there won't be a track available, and they're going to have to wait.

The issue here isn't one of capacity (which tail tracks definitely helps) but rather one of running times. The solution is to correct the schedule to reflect the new running time.

You have alot of knowledge and workable mathematical skill on statistics indeed where it pertains to transit, it is supurb. But what you need to understand is how to educate younger ones on the facts with transit not scold them for certain gaps in the understanding of it. 

Did I scold someone?

Apparently by rollovermyhead's reaction. Again yes you know your stuff to a tee, but it's better to teach your knowledge not be condescending or throw words into people's mouths. 

Be nice to the kids now....

I'm not trying to be condescending. (I know how to be condescending when I want to be condescending!) I have nothing against RollOverMyHead. I'm just clarifying my understanding of the situation.