R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Btw, finally, a brand new train is running on the 7 line. I have been waiting for a new train on the (7) since 2005. I remember at that time, there were lots of rumors about R142A's set to run on the (7) and how they couldn't run because of third rail issues.

Edited by Bracamonte

I know some of you are happy, but this marks the beginning of the end. My only hope is that a few of the sets that go to the (6) keep an RFW.

I wished so, but that's pretty doubtful. If they don't convert the 2000-2100s to full width cabs, then I have a feeling those ends up on the 1.

On the R188 7, looks nice, going to take some getting used to, but a nice change for now. Eventually it'll get stale when it's nothing but R188s.

Just a reminder, for anyone who couldn't catch the train today, you'll have plenty more chances over the coming decades. (I point this out only because, from the posts here, it almost appears that this train is only running today.)

I'd be more interested in looking towards the day the R62As are removed, probably forever.

It kinda does. It's 30 days "without incident". It has to go a month without so much as the doors sticking before it can be cleared for full service. If it does have an issue, the clock resets to zero. Logicly, one would try to get those 30 days taken care of as quickly as possible, and that means pounding the rails every day possible.

they are now in regular permanent service for now...

It kinda does. It's 30 days "without incident". It has to go a month without so much as the doors sticking before it can be cleared for full service. If it does have an issue, the clock resets to zero. Logicly, one would try to get those 30 days taken care of as quickly as possible, and that means pounding the rails every day possible.

Exactly. This is how it's always been done with all of the NTTs from the R142 onward. Only exception to this rule is that the MTA started with the R188 on a weekend which is a first with new rolling stock introductions (where NTTs are concerned).

Edited by realizm

Exactly. This is how it's always been done with all of the NTTs from the R142 onward. Only exception to this rule is that the MTA started with the R188 on a weekend which is a first with new rolling stock introductions (where NTTs are concerned).

Didn't NTTs always start revenue service on a weekeday ?

Bittersweet, on one hand Lexington won't be the same at least for another 15 years, on the other looking at Corona's r62a's I know these NTT'S will be in good hands ah well.

For lexington id say 15-20 because yes the lifespan for a train is 40yrs old but R62As may last longer than 40 the way the TA are going they can't afford to retire anything right now and it all depends how long it would take for the replacements to arrive, and i agree that Coronas NTTs will be in good hands . Their R62As have performed very very well for their time on the (7) and hopefully will continue back on the (6) .

Edited by R62AR33