R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling that the MTA will wait until they have 3 three 11 car sets of R188s before they start revenue service.

They aren't in service yet , cause all of Flushings crew , have to get trained to be able to operate , the R188s , we just have to be patirent and wait for that to end.

In all honestly no that's not the reason. If they wanted to they could run the train as a put in out of Corona yard with a qualified crew and back to Main Street or Willets Point with a qualified crew and ship it back to the yard.

Here is the reason: The sets that have been used for crew qualifications may or may not need some modifications to get more reliability out of the traction motors. Besides that it has wiring running in between the storm doors almost the length of the train. The strip maps haven't been installed and many of the new features need to be polished off. When more of the brand new deliveries arrive and finish their burn testing on Sea Beach and WPR or when more of the conversions get back and they are made to be service ready then we'll see them in service.

In the mean time they are just too many rumors floating around and the Flushing crew qualifications one is a bad one. There is no one willing to risk getting placed on sick control by calling out the number of times it takes to avoid that many rescheduling of classes. And there are no more classes happening right now because the crew office feels they have trained enough people.

So basically the trains aren't ready yet? That sounds like a much more believable reason why they aren't in service yet. I'm still hoping they'll enter service some time before year's end, but whatever.

Well fellas just sit tight. The car equipment department and CCC (They are overseeing this operation correct?) will get it straightened out. If it doesn't happen till next year which is where it seems all of this is going then so be it. They will get the R188's running. Just a matter of time. 

(Good thing I got the videos and pics while the crew training were indeed taking place)

@RTOPRO: Many thanks for the update.

There are going to be plenty more after this round.

The current round however ends in November

Upcoming Significant Changes to Service

No 7.pngtrains between

Queensboro Plaza and Times Sq-42 St

bus_icon.gif Take the e.pngf.pngn.pngs.png or free shuttle buses.

• THREE WEEKENDS:

11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon

• Oct 25-28

• Nov 8-11

• Nov 22-25

• small_night.jpg WEEKNIGHTS:

11:45 PM Mon to 5 AM Tue

November 18-19

In all honestly no that's not the reason. If they wanted to they could run the train as a put in out of Corona yard with a qualified crew and back to Main Street or Willets Point with a qualified crew and ship it back to the yard.

Here is the reason: The sets that have been used for crew qualifications may or may not need some modifications to get more reliability out of the traction motors. Besides that it has wiring running in between the storm doors almost the length of the train. The strip maps haven't been installed and many of the new features need to be polished off. When more of the brand new deliveries arrive and finish their burn testing on Sea Beach and WPR or when more of the conversions get back and they are made to be service ready then we'll see them in service.

In the mean time they are just too many rumors floating around and the Flushing crew qualifications one is a bad one. There is no one willing to risk getting placed on sick control by calling out the number of times it takes to avoid that many rescheduling of classes. And there are no more classes happening right now because the crew office feels they have trained enough people.

What about the thing with RTO not having enough keys to pass out to the crews? Was that a rumor or also part of the problem?

What about the thing with RTO not having enough keys to pass out to the crews? Was that a rumor or also part of the problem?

It's the reason why classes stopped as I said before, but also as I stated earlier there are enough crews trained that one could run in service out of the yard and in all honesty the way intervals/crews get shuffled around at Main Street there would be no problem getting one of the many people who are qualified on the next 188 scheduled to leave the station.

There is a brand new build set in the yard. 6 cars...when another brand new build set of 5 cars arrives to Corona after finishing it's testing along either the N line or 2 line, they will link up and be prepared for customer service. I'm not brave enough to say a week. I'm brave enough to say within a month and a half, but that's only if those other new 5 cars arrive on a track at Corona within that time frame.

Also it has to be understood. The 7 line is slowly but surely losing pieces. The 6 line is also losing pieces and for every piece the 6 line loses on a permanent basis, that piece is replaced with something from the 7 line. But the 6 line also loses a piece on a temporary term basis to 207th shop so they can do the truck overhaul work. Those pieces do come back to the 6 line before going to Kawasaki for conversion but it's still a piece that's not available. And as the 7 continues to lose pieces. Some permanent and some on a long term basis, something is going to have to replace those missing pieces in service at some point. We are slowly getting to that critical point where no choice will be had.

It's the reason why classes stopped as I said before, but also as I stated earlier there are enough crews trained that one could run in service out of the yard and in all honesty the way intervals/crews get shuffled around at Main Street there would be no problem getting one of the many people who are qualified on the next 188 scheduled to leave the station.

There is a brand new build set in the yard. 6 cars...when another brand new build set of 5 cars arrives to Corona after finishing it's testing along either the N line or 2 line, they will link up and be prepared for customer service. I'm not brave enough to say a week. I'm brave enough to say within a month and a half, but that's only if those other new 5 cars arrive on a track at Corona within that time frame.

Also it has to be understood. The 7 line is slowly but surely losing pieces. The 6 line is also losing pieces and for every piece the 6 line loses on a permanent basis, that piece is replaced with something from the 7 line. But the 6 line also loses a piece on a temporary term basis to 207th shop so they can do the truck overhaul work. Those pieces do come back to the 6 line before going to Kawasaki for conversion but it's still a piece that's not available. And as the 7 continues to lose pieces. Some permanent and some on a long term basis, something is going to have to replace those missing pieces in service at some point. We are slowly getting to that critical point where no choice will be had.

got it, thanks for the info!

Man talk about inefficiency on the part of the TSS's if they are the ones responsible for the dispensing of mere keys. (Feel free to clarify for my layman knowledge if I am not looking at this correctly)

Edited by realizm

I think a few R62A's are going to stay on the (7)<7>. most of them will go to the (6)<6> (hopefully b/c the LEDs on those cars would be a big help). I thought that R62A (1) train using cars from the (7)<7> was staying there. I guess no R62A's from the (7) are going to the (1).

Dont know when it will be confirmed. well just have to wait and see what the (MTA) says.

:tup:R142A's to the (7)<7> :tdown:no more RFW.

I rode on the R62A 2141-2145 (orginially with the  (1) train) set this morning on the   <6> so I guess it is staying there. I wonder if they found a way to change the Pelham Bay destination roll sign to Parkchester and vise-versa quickly. The LED lights help a lot but that's just half the job.

Edited by junjun441

Man talk about inefficiency on the part of the TSS's if they are the ones responsible for the dispensing of mere keys. (Feel free to clarify for my layman knowledge if I am not looking at this correctly)

The supervisors get the keys from school car. Usually a school car TSS hands out the keys. School car keeps the documentation signed and dated by the employee acknowledging the issuance of said keys.

I rode on the R62A 2141-2145 (orginially with the  (1) train) set this morning on the   <6> so I guess it is staying there. I wonder if they found a way to change the Pelham Bay destination roll sign to Parkchester and vise-versa quickly. The LED lights help a lot but that's just half the job.

2141-2145 were originally from the (3) actually and i caught it on the (7) line last week so it can't be back on the (6) already since there have been no more R62As transfered to the (6) as of late.

R62A Car Numbers on the (6) as of late are :

1741-1750

1721-1725,1731-1735

2191-2195 . 1791-1795

Edited by R62AR33

2141-2145 were originally from the (3) actually and i caught it on the (7) line last week so it can't be back on the (6) already since there have been no more R62As transfered to the (6) as of late.

R62A Car Numbers on the (6) as of late are :

1741-1750

1721-1725,1731-1735

2191-2195 . 1791-1795

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

2141-2145 is originally from the 1 line. That Red Strip under the car body number stands for 240th Maintenance shop. The 3 line does not own nor does it run any R62As.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

2141-2145 is originally from the 1 line. That Red Strip under the car body number stands for 240th Maintenance shop. The 3 line does not own nor does it run any R62As.

2141-2145 was from the (3) and then was sent to the (7) in 2002-2003 along with the rest of R62As that formely ran on the (3) and (6) and it is still on flushing right now i caught it last week,unless you both  talking about 2191-2195 that are on the (6) currently and it is borrowed from the (1) .

Edited by R62AR33