R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

The Regular Kawasaki R62s will likely never return to the (4) , u might see a set pop up here and there but that's about it that only happens if an R142/A broke down and the (5) or (6) can't lend a set then they would need to borrow an R62 from the (3) , as for R62As Flushing owns 450 R62As , 400 are for the (6) , 380  from the swaps and then 20 for spares , from the 50 that remain , you likely will see 1 or 2 sets on the (4) , depends if they decide to either split them with the (1) or (4) , or just the (1) .

your probably right but anything could happen during the  (6)\ (7) swap 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can't rule out the possibility that some of these R62A units *possibly* may end up on the (4) during the swap. Some of the units currently assigned to the line are R142A's as it is. I mean look what happened with the (A) / (C) swap. None of us ever anticipated R160's temporarily assigned to the (C) until it happened for various reasons.

We cannot underestimate how the straphangers may react to the swap as currently planned by rail car division/CCC where it pertains to the R188 and conversion cars and how this may influence and change the final division by the MTA heads.

Speculation here.

Again, it really doesn't matter how straphangers feel about what cars are on which line. If it doesn't make sense in terms of operations, passenger complaints don't dictate car assignments. You mentioned the C temporarily receiving 160s. That took several concurrent issues to pop up before happening. Since this only involves the swapping of 62As for 142As between Corona and Westchester and vice-versa, there really is no reason the 4 would or should be included in this.

Again, it really doesn't matter how straphangers feel about what cars are on which line. If it doesn't make sense in terms of operations, passenger complaints don't dictate car assignments. You mentioned the C temporarily receiving 160s. That took several concurrent issues to pop up before happening. Since this only involves the swapping of 62As for 142As between Corona and Westchester and vice-versa, there really is no reason the 4 would or should be included in this.

My impression is that the input of straphangers in regards to the failing air conditioner units on the R32's clearly had an influence behind the MTA desicion to implement summer seasonal car assignment changes with the R32's and the R46's (of course with the exception of this past summer with the R160 SMS) on the 8th Ave IND since 2012.

If I am correct the strategy of the Rail Car Division was to run the R32's to Lefferts and the Rockaways in longer distance runs where not as frequent stops were made necessesating the opening of the doors, keeping what cool air there was inside the cars longer, and therefore not putting the A/C unites on those SMEE's under undue strain making it therefore prone to frequent malfunctions. They had to get the R32's out of the tunnels into routes that has stretches of open cut, at grade and elevated portions of ROW to keep the A/C units from overheating, another problem alleviated with the swap which was a success as a result of the concerns of the customers.

Input from the MTA customers it serves therefore can make a big difference many times in car assignments.

Aside from that after the R62A/R142A swap is complete and the R188's are running, how can we know for absolutely sure that we may or may not see put-ins or some assignments of sets of SMEE's on the (4) ? That is for the future realm of the unknowns, again as we do have some R142A's on the Jerome Ave/Lexington Ave Express that could be reassigned elsewhere to the other yards besides Westchester Yard which all feed into the IRT Lexington Ave Line if Rail Car Division chooses to. Hey it has even occured with R62's on the (5), albeit a couple of sets also due to the introduction of new rolling stock in 2001. Those are my questions I ask you.

Edited by realizm

My impression is that the input of straphangers in regards to the failing air conditioner units on the R32's clearly had an influence behind the MTA desicion to implement summer seasonal car assignment changes with the R32's and the R46's (of course with the exception of this past summer with the R160 SMS) on the 8th Ave IND since 2012.

If I am correct the strategy of the Rail Car Division was to run the R32's to Lefferts and the Rockaways in longer distance runs where not as frequent stops were made necessesating the opening of the doors, keeping what cool air there was inside the cars longer, and therefore not putting the A/C unites on those SMEE's under undue strain making it therefore prone to frequent malfunctions. They had to get the R32's out of the tunnels into routes that has stretches of open cut, at grade and elevated portions of ROW to keep the A/C units from overheating, another problem alleviated with the swap which was a success as a result of the concerns of the customers.

Input from the MTA customers it serves therefore can make a big difference many times in car assignments.

Aside from that after the R62A/R142A swap is complete and the R188's are running, how can we know for absolutely sure that we may or may not see put-ins or some assignments of sets of SMEE's on the (4) ? That is for the future realm of the unknowns, again as we do have some R142A's on the Jerome Ave/Lexington Ave Express that could be reassigned elsewhere to the other yards besides Westchester Yard which all feed into the IRT Lexington Ave Line if Rail Car Division chooses to. Hey it has even occured with R62's on the (5), albeit a couple of sets also due to the introduction of new rolling stock in 2001. Those are my questions I ask you.

You may see 1 or 2 R62As on the (4) it depends how they want to assign the remaining 50 R62As from Flushing . The other only way that we would see an R62A on the (4) is if an R142/A from the (4) break down and the (2)(5) or (6) can't lend a set then an R62A will be pulled out from the (6) . As for the R32s that is a different case , considering their age and that they get ac issues then yes they in the summer see service on another line , but the (MTA) won't change car assingments just because some riders feel that their trains are too old for them to ride it.

Edited by R62AR33

I wouldn't totally rule out R62As on the 4, but as far as things goes the logical move is R142as to be converted and sent to the 7 and in turn R62As to the 6 to replace the taken sets. As for what to do about the remaining R142as on the 6, I still think they should go to the 4 since it keeps them all under one line. In turn take some R142s and give those to the 6.

From what iv heard eventually Westchester will bring back the Yellow sticker likely next year , just more R62As have to get swapped , as well the day before yesterday , All 3 R62As were running back to back on the (6) without any R142As  in between them , one set was going to parkchester and the other 2 to Pelham Bay Park. 

That's good. I wasn't a fan of the purple stickers. I liked the yellow ones more because I grew up with the R62As on the 6.

We won't know for sure, but the barring another Sandy or R44 fiasco with the R142s, I can't see them putting SMEE cars on the (4) unless they really need a set to make service. The only reason those couple of Westchester Yard R62A sets ran on the (5) was because the Redbirds were not able to run OPTO. In 1997, the MTA made the late-night Dyre Ave and West End shuttle services OPTO, so they needed some cars on the (B) and (5) lines with full-width cabs. At the time, the B ran only R40 Slants and the 5 ran only Redbirds. Neither group of cars could run OPTO, so R68As were assigned to the B and R62As to the 5. In the 5's case, it was only 20 cars and Redbirds ran the rest of the service.

I wouldn't totally rule out R62As on the 4, but as far as things goes the logical move is R142as to be converted and sent to the 7 and in turn R62As to the 6 to replace the taken sets. As for what to do about the remaining R142as on the 6, I still think they should go to the 4 since it keeps them all under one line. In turn take some R142s and give those to the 6.

That's good. I wasn't a fan of the purple stickers. I liked the yellow ones more because I grew up with the R62As on the 6.

Are they still using those stickers? They never put colored yard stickers on the R142/142As. I thought they de-emphasized the usage of colored yard stickers.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

Hem good point. I guess it must be an R62a thing? shrugs The 7 was an isolated line and didn't really need the stickers other than maybe unifying the various sets from the 3 and 6 and even the 1. 

They have purple stickers except the Broadway Singles in the 1900s, 1891-1895, which I see know and then and possibly a few more.

Hem good point. I guess it must be an R62a thing? shrugs The 7 was an isolated line and didn't really need the stickers other than maybe unifying the various sets from the 3 and 6 and even the 1. 

Westchester Yards color is Yellow so their R62As eventually will go back to using yellow yard stickers ,this all takes time to do so knowing the (MTA) don't expect that change till sometime next year when more R62As are back on the (6) , remember back in 2002-2003 when the (3) and (6) were loosing their R62As to the (7) flushings yard assingment stickers didn't go to purple till 2004 after the redbirds retired. We as well won't see (6)  <6> strip maps on the R62As on the (6) till next year as well , back in 2001 when all R62/As started getting strip maps on them the R62As on the (3) and (6) did not get them for their original lines since at that time they were getting sent to the (7) , same with the R62s from the (4) since they were going to the (3) as well.

Edited by R62AR33

I'll be surprised if Westchester brings back the sticker. I was under the impression those weren't even ordered by the MTA anymore.

Now, my question is this: when the R188s move to the (7), what happens to the 1900-singles? Westchester doesn't need singles, and we know the crews aren't thrilled about the half cabs (as much as I like them).

I'll be surprised if Westchester brings back the sticker. I was under the impression those weren't even ordered by the MTA anymore.

Now, my question is this: when the R188s move to the (7), what happens to the 1900-singles? Westchester doesn't need singles, and we know the crews aren't thrilled about the half cabs (as much as I like them).

I was also wondering; perhaps into 5 car sets or perhaps to the Grand Central Shuttle or possibly work service to retire more Redbird work trains

Honestly putting Half of the R62As on the (4) would be the smartest thing to do, have the (4)'s R142A's go to Westchester

I doubt they'll put yard stickers on em ,lovoina is Blue but they didn't bother putting blue stickers on their R62s, they just kept the orange ones, 240th is the only yard that keeps up with that, also I would send the 1841-1900 from the (1) to the (6) and have 2070-2149 go to the (1) I see them doing that as well

Edited by R32 3838

They really didn't need to change the R62 sticker stripes since the R142/as on the 4 never got the orange stripes. Probably easier to just make orange the new color for Livonia. Agreed, ideally They should have all the 1600s-1900s on the 6 and have the 2000s and up on the 1 instead of having the 1800s and such still on the 1.

It was a mistake to link those 3/4 car sets for the shuttle. They really need to get the Ts end rebuilt to hold 5 car trains already and end the short trains nonsense. Such a pita to see track 4 used for rush hours only. 1906-10 would be 4 singles left over since 1909 was scrapped and dumped on SI's landfill years ago. Wouldn't surprise me they used some of the singles for work train service and retire some of the work train redbirds.

I was also wondering; perhaps into 5 car sets or perhaps to the Grand Central Shuttle or possibly work service to retire more Redbird work trains

The shuttle already has its own separate fleet of cars, although they aren't single cars anymore..all 20 cars were grouped into sets of 3 or 4 without caring about number consistency

I just hope it isn't too hard to 'unlink' them if they ever reconstruct the TS end to handle 5 car trains. Also, they could've linked just 2 cars as a pair and left a single (for tracks 1 and 4) so they could arrange a couple of pairs for track 3. Having fixed sets of 3 or 4 is terrible for flexibility.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Honestly putting Half of the R62As on the (4) would be the smartest thing to do, have the (4)'s R142A's go to Westchester

I doubt they'll put yard stickers on em ,lovoina is Blue but they didn't bother putting blue stickers on their R62s, they just kept the orange ones, 240th is the only yard that keeps up with that, also I would send the 1841-1900 from the (1) to the (6) and have 2070-2149 go to the (1) I see them doing that as well

Good points. I don't think all the R142A's need to be required to be stripped off the line to be converted for R188 service, some sets may end up remaining on the (6) .

I have noticed new stickers ( yellow circles) on the R32's returned to the 8th Ave line. I saw it on the way home about 45 minutes ago. My previous impression was that they were to phase out the color code system from insider sources. Perhaps the plan has changed? (I see this is the B division and not the A division but it makes me ask myself what the deal is...)

Edited by realizm

Half of the R32s always had those yellow stickers at the bottom of their drop slash windows, the only R32 with a yard sticker that was the same as the R30s is 3807, it has the yellow and white yard sticker white was pit kin and yellow was 207th

But that yellow circle might just be on there because of some modification or something B division doesn't do yard color codes like the A division does

Half of the R32s always had those yellow stickers at the bottom of their drop slash windows, the only R32 with a yard sticker that was the same as the R30s is 3807, it has the yellow and white yard sticker white was pit kin and yellow was 207th

But that yellow circle might just be on there because of some modification or something B division doesn't do yard color codes like the A division does

I'm going to keep an eye out for that on my daily commute. I never noticed until tonight.

Believe it or not i as well see Westchester Yard and 240st doing that as well so that Westchester yard maintains the 1600-late 1900s and 240st get the 2000s. If they do that wouldn't Westchester Yards R62As be 1657-1999 and 240st yards R62As would be 2000-2475.

Edited by R62AR33

I think you mean 1651-2000* for the 6 and 2001-2475* for the 1 as they should be mostly 5 car sets by now. The 1900s are still singles.

*I know the 1 doesn't need that many, I'm saying that should be the grouping, not where the cars should go. Of course there will be a difference somewhere in the middle.

Edited by Grand Concourse