R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Let's hope this recession doesn't continue for that long lol. It just seems like a waste of Money and resources to me, IMO they should've used their $$ or should I say the taxpayers money to implement CBTC on the Lex a much more demanding line but whatever I'm happy for flushing riders...

Lex is already getting a brand-new, two-track subway line two blocks away to deal with overcrowding. We can't let Manhattan get everything first.

Also, CBTC would not help with the Lex, since the main congestion point regarding Lex trains would be Nostrand Av on the Brooklyn IRT line.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob's right...I completely forgot about the junction east of Franklin Avenue. One of the many reasons why the (4)(5)(6) will not get CBTC until years later.

And also don't forget, another thing is that the signaling system on the Pelham/Lexington lines aren't up for replacement yet (according to AndrewJC and Art Vandelay).

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Lex is already getting a brand-new, two-track subway line two blocks away to deal with overcrowding. We can't let Manhattan get everything first.

Also, CBTC would not help with the Lex, since the main congestion point regarding Lex trains would be Nostrand Av on the Brooklyn IRT line.

You mean the one starting at earliest in 2017? I wouldn't exactly count that as an improvement given to Manhattan right now...

You mean the one starting at earliest in 2017? I wouldn't exactly count that as an improvement given to Manhattan right now...

Because pouring nearly all of the city's capital construction money into Manhattan does not constitute an improvement, and therefore we need to pour more money in.

It's the most expensive transit project in the world, at $1.7B/km (ESA would be the most expensive rail project in the world, at over $4B/km), and all the outer boroughs get are upgraded signals that allow squeezing a couple more trains though, and some buses with stickers and red paint on the roads. Surely you guys have the patience to wait.

Because pouring nearly all of the city's capital construction money into Manhattan does not constitute an improvement, and therefore we need to pour more money in.

It's the most expensive transit project in the world, at $1.7B/km (ESA would be the most expensive rail project in the world, at over $4B/km), and all the outer boroughs get are upgraded signals that allow squeezing a couple more trains though, and some buses with stickers and red paint on the roads. Surely you guys have the patience to wait.

I find it a little ridiculous that you're trying to argue that Manhattan residents need to find the 'patience to wait' on the SAS. It's been planned for 84 years, under construction for 46 years...there is admittedly a Manhattan-centric bias with MTA projects, but this is not the example to make your case on that...

Fuss ? Nopeee not all lol  , the crew actually really like working with the R62As and the Motorman prefer them then the R142A's due to the fact that R62As have a better breaking system . 

He was actually referring to a "supposed" fuss being made by crews to change back to transverse cabs and not the train. The cabs set up has more to do with what the Yard Dispatcher and the Maintenance Barn feels will work best and less to do with the crews.

As for crews liking the R62A better because of "better braking system". I don't know who you are getting this info from but it's inaccurate. I'm not going to get into the opinions of the crews as that is in house information but you are not really reflecting anyone's views accurately. As for the braking....that's a matter of perspective based on any given situation. That's really all that needs to be said about that. Everything else is just speculation.

CBTC has grown the way it has for a reason. It started on the L because the Canarsie Line is isolated and only two tracks. The Flushing Line is next because while it is also isolated, it provides a bit more of a challenge for the computers by having to deal with express trains.

CBTC on the Lexington, the most heavily used line in the system, is out of the question for the time being.

Agreed, but couldn't something similar have been done atleast for the (6) itself? It doesn't share tracks with the other Irt lines except for late nights or the (1) for that matter.

Agreed, but couldn't something similar have been done atleast for the (6) itself? It doesn't share tracks with the other Irt lines except for late nights or the (1) for that matter.

It still has connections to the other IRT line remember if you put CBTC on the (6) the whole LEX Av want to get it just in case the (6) heads to BKLYN or Express. Also it shares with the (4) which then we need to put CBTC on the woodlawn line also, and it gets complicated same goes for (1). The reason why the (L) and (7) gets it because the tracks are isolated and never share with any other trains.

Edited by Mtatransit

Not really actually...

The signalling system on the Lex is not up for replacement yet. I mean QB will be next due to it being the third corridor to have aging signals. The (L) and (7), as said many times, got CBTC in part for being isolated. But also to replace aging signals. I'm just throwing out what some or most here are missing.

I find it a little ridiculous that you're trying to argue that Manhattan residents need to find the 'patience to wait' on the SAS. It's been planned for 84 years, under construction for 46 years...there is admittedly a Manhattan-centric bias with MTA projects, but this is not the example to make your case on that...

In the grand scheme of things, what is three to five years on a timeline of a century?

With a capacity for 2400 people per train, at the Q's current frequency of 7tph, that is 16800 people per hour. Since the Q will no longer be constrained by the 60th St tubes, its biggest constraint will be shared track with the N (7 TPH). With B-Division signalling capacity topping out at 30 TPH, there is scope to significantly increase capacity once the Q is taken out of 60th St. Assuming a peak-hour capacity of 25 TPH (similar to what runs on the Lex Express today, with the complexities of the flat junction at Nostrand), the Q has the potential for 18 TPH capacity; 43200 people per hour. An additional 43200 people per hour on the East Side would be the biggest capacity improvement seen in a long time.

In addition, a new line has other benefits; it decreases platform overcrowding on the Lex, increases property values and rents in the surrounding areas, and brings ADA accessibility to the East Side. And this is just phase 1. CBTC on the (7) does none of this.

Also to throw this in, isn't almost every signal outside of the A div and the (L) aging? Maybe its based on the demand first.

Yep. The (L) and (7) are both lines with few alternatives nearby to increase capacity, and Queens Blvd is the second most congested line after the Lex.

They so nice and shiny! Wonder when the swapping of the 62A's will happen? Nice Pics by the way (1+)

Ummm the R62As started swapping last january , thats why there are now 4 sets of R62As on the (6) , the 4th set was transfered this weekend and i caught it today its 1716-1720 and 1831-1835

Edited by R62AR33