R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a few years, no one will give a damn about the R188s, just the typical North American culture of going gooey over new, shiny things.

Wouldn't this be the appropriate place for such enthusiasm for anything transit related? Modernizing a line with technology other countries have been sporting for years is worthy of discussion and culture really has nothing to do with it.

Wouldn't this be the appropriate place for such enthusiasm for anything transit related? Modernizing a line with technology other countries have been sporting for years is worthy of discussion and culture really has nothing to do with it.

Please reread my post - in a few years no one will care. I highly doubt many people as is care about the R160s - the only ones who talk about them anymore are those whiny (C) riders and a few other customers that expect luxury for $2.50. And those that have chosen the cars as some of their favorites in the fleet, but that's more to do with opinion and less to do with foaming over shiny shiny.

As for the comment about technology, you make it seem as though the (7) has been technology obsolete before hand, and that the MTA should've upgraded so much sooner. What then would happen to the R62As? They're not old enough to be retired now, and certainly not before, Kawasaki being available to refurbish the R188s thus giving the displaced R62As work to do was a lucky set of circumstances - if the original manufacturer of the R142A had gone under then we might not have been having this discussion.

Keep in mind that the MTA and its predecessor companies (most notably, the BMT) were at the forefront of transit technology for a while. Know what that got them? A couple of standalone BMT articulated units (which would've been interesting had the City continued development of those), a fire in the Grand Central Shuttle, and the problems with the R44s and R46s which were chock full of new technology.

The R62s and R68s may have been bland, but hey, they worked.

I read your post clearly the first time, I'm just defending the art of discussion here, whether its overly zealous or if the topic would be as interesting in a few years.

My apologies, my driving point wasn't the fact that we may have older equipment in places, I should have made that clearer.

The point is, it is special now, but when there's nothing but the same thing running, the appeal will likely wear off. Same for the R62A on the 6 chasers. It's unique for now, but when they become the majority again, same applies for there.

still no r188 on the (7) line. Getting disappointed :/..........

They'll start showing up eventually. I strongly believe the first 188s will enter service before Halloween or Thanksgiving at the very latest. I could be wrong though.

So would it be crazy to assume another R62A set has been sent (or at least loaned) to the 6?

You're jumping the gun. Just because 207th is doing work doesn't mean the cars are going to Kawasaki immediately after. There are other car numbers waiting to go to Kawasaki and this project will continue in car number order from oldest to youngest.

This probably has been mentioned before, but has Corona been installing full cabs on their R62As before they go back to the (6) ? I'm a regular rider to Main St. and I've been seeing more and more full cabs on the ends lately.

That work is actually being performed by 207th and Coney Island. Corona is a maintenance barn. Adding or removing full width cabs is not apart of maintenance. That's overhaul shop work.

That's understandable but it's not lost yet. The truck work being performed is typical. It's usually done anyway at some mileage marker car equipment determines and the unit is then transferred to the overhaul shop to have it done. When the work is finished these cars will come back to service until it's their turn to go to Kawasaki.

Right, I get you. DOB is definitely more rigid about keeping things even, I think...up at Manhattanville, when equipment is sent out to Zerega to be repaired or overhauled, there are always loaner buses from other depots or at the least put-ins during the rush hours. Sounds like that's not the case with subway fleet repair work. Of course, the spare factor is probably pretty different between the divisions.