R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say I'm too happy about this swap. The R62As have completely slowed down the runs that have them on the (6) thanks to the narrow door widths and have led to skipping stops to make up time, while the R188s will make the Flushing line monotonous and free of the RFW for the first time in history (and it's a line where the RFW is a lot more interesting than the Lex, which won't even have them thanks to the crews making a fuss). 

@LTA1992: Aside from the weird Queens'boro' announcement (yes, I think she pronounces 'boro' in a weird way) the announcements are very good! But it's not like you hear them for the first time. They have been floating around on YouTube for a few years now (they were recorded way before the R188s were even discussed).

For lexington id say 15-20 because yes the lifespan for a train is 40yrs old but R62As may last longer than 40 the way the TA are going they can't afford to retire anything right now and it all depends how long it would take for the replacements to arrive, and i agree that Coronas NTTs will be in good hands . Their R62As have performed very very well for their time on the (7) and hopefully will continue back on the (6) .

Let's hope this recession doesn't continue for that long lol. It just seems like a waste of Money and resources to me, IMO they should've used their $$ or should I say the taxpayers money to implement CBTC on the Lex a much more demanding line but whatever I'm happy for flushing riders...

Can't say I'm too happy about this swap. The R62As have completely slowed down the runs that have them on the (6) thanks to the narrow door widths and have led to skipping stops to make up time, while the R188s will make the Flushing line monotonous and free of the RFW for the first time in history (and it's a line where the RFW is a lot more interesting than the Lex, which won't even have them thanks to the crews making a fuss). 

Crews making a fuss???? LOL not true at all.

About 90% of 'em sound exactly the same. I've compared them. And please, they are not that hard to find. Two people (one of them being MrRailfanBVE, known as Mr Railfan around here) uploaded various bits of the (7) announcements.

Anyone can hear something. But very few can actually HEAR something. And I know who he is, I know him outside here. If you've actually payed any attention, you'd notice most lines sound different. 7th Avenue sounds different from Lex, which sounds different from the (E) and (7), who sound different from the Eastern Div Lines, who sound different from the (N)(Q)(R)(W)(V)(G) and (B) lines, which sound different from the (A)(C)(D)(F)(S), despite most of them being the same person. Who sounds the same their entire life? Computerized voices sound different on a recording than they do in actuality. Me and a few others pondered why that was one day on the (F). It's also a bit slower than when you're actually on the train. It's like music. If you heard the same song played from a CD, and then again from a vinyl on a turntable, I can bet you wouldn't notice the difference. In this case, the train itself is the turntable. The recording is the CD, which won't have all the minor differences thus will make them all sound the same. And lastly, I'm going to say this again. The recordings on YouTube are older versions of the (7) and are therefore irreverent. 

Let's hope this recession doesn't continue for that long lol. It just seems like a waste of Money and resources to me, IMO they should've used their $$ or should I say the taxpayers money to implement CBTC on the Lex a much more demanding line but whatever I'm happy for flushing riders...

The lex may be more demanding but they are still getting started with the program. It's only natural that they start worth the isolated lines before moving to the rest of the system. Slow and steady wins the race, you know.

The 62As are also much slower than the 142As which also might contribute to delays.

If I live along the (6)  I would happy about this swap, only downside is during the summer the A/C is much weaker on the 62As.

Will the R142A's from the (4) be used to build the R188 or are they only taking R142As from the (6)?

Nope Just the (6) because Westchester Yard has the same amount of R142As as Flushing does R62As so that it can be a swap just between the (6) and (7) , there is no need for the (4) 's R142As to be converted

Fuss ? Nopeee not all lol  , the crew actually really like working with the R62As and the Motorman prefer them then the R142A's due to the fact that R62As have a better breaking system . 

It's not a waste at all because where would the R62A's from flushing go to had they would have gotten a new order ? They can't retire them when flushings oldest R62A is 27 yrs old at the moment so they had to do this and convert existing R142A's to send them back to the (6) , also they are just getting started with the cbtc program and they have had issues installing the software on just an isolated line , imagine starting on installing the software for the first time on 3 lines at a time it would't be to good lol

Edited by R62AR33

CBTC has grown the way it has for a reason. It started on the L because the Canarsie Line is isolated and only two tracks. The Flushing Line is next because while it is also isolated, it provides a bit more of a challenge for the computers by having to deal with express trains.

CBTC on the Lexington, the most heavily used line in the system, is out of the question for the time being.

The 62As are also much slower than the 142As which also might contribute to delays.

If I live along the (6)  I would happy about this swap, only downside is during the summer the A/C is much weaker on the 62As.

The R62/A's have better A/C than the R142/A's IMO. If the A/C on the SMEE's work properly, the cars are frosty. As for NTTs, you barely feel anything when those trains are crowded. 

@LtA1992: Sometimes I hear differences yeah. But I was talking about the 'old' (7) announcement recordings vs the new one, not vs the (F) or other trains. And actually, according to other rail fans, I'm kind right. The station names bits are from the original 142/A announcement recordings. Kathleen does the "This is a Flushing...." part, Catherine the "The next stop is..." part and Annie Bergen does the station names part on the (7).

Crews making a fuss???? LOL not true at all.

Fuss ? Nopeee not all lol  , the crew actually really like working with the R62As and the Motorman prefer them then the R142A's due to the fact that R62As have a better breaking system . 

Okay, maybe not then. I was under that impression from the fury of posts like this one suggesting that the crews wanted full cabs:

Rememeber Westchesters main request is all R62As to be converted to full width cab , so it shouldn't be too much of a shocker to see more R62As being converted to full width cab.