R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny thing is, I had a strong feeling it was a gap train. People overreact about anything nowadays. A lone 62A popping up on the deuce must mean that line is getting all the 62As, right?

I mean the T/D's had put in R62A's here and there out of the clear blue on the (2) and (5) before as needed, if a R142 consist had to be put OOS for whatever reason relating to mechanical failure. Seen it many times for years after the R142's were assigned to these lines so it's no surprise to me why this rare occurrence took place after thinking about it. 

For example:

img_6132.jpgCredits to David Pirrman, 2004, nycsubway.org

This was a sudden put in from 2001. I've personally seen this for myself during that summer when I started seeing R142's on the (5) before I moved out state temporarily. Another very rare sight as at that time the redbirds were being permanently taken OOS to be retired. 

The R142's started service in 1999.

Edited by realizm

Yep! And also with those bucket seats that make the passengers uncomfortable when people have to scoot over into each other when people wanna sit (mostly during Rush Hours)

That was sarcasm - if the R62As were "unsafe" they would be pulled from service.

As for bucket seating - that they don't work in New York doesn't mean they don't work everywhere. In Toronto, most people actually prefer individual seating over bench seats.

How about annoncements?

There was a R142 on the (5) @ Dyre Avenue that had the (7) announcements hardwired into the intercom system, caught on video apparently in 2001, I think according to some of the comments on the video. But some of the announcements and LED messages will be different from back then. It's anyone's guess how it will actually sound on the R188's but it could be similar to how it plays in this video.

Credits to Railfan2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FDBgMS_xYzI

There was a R142 on the (5) @ Dyre Avenue that had the (7) announcements hardwired into the intercom system, caught on video apparently in 2001, I think according to some of the comments on the video. But some of the announcements and LED messages will be different from back then. It's anyone's guess how it will actually sound on the R188's but it could be similar to how it plays in this video.

Credits to Railfan2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FDBgMS_xYzI

Yep I saw that video long ago already and it was an R142, as you can see of the blinking led annoncements and not very visible Bombaider Plate at the corner. Did Railfan2 ask an  (MTA) employee or conductor to play the announcements just to see?

Doubt it was codebreaking because the transit worker asked the person who shot the video to exit the train. 

Some say that the reason why the R142 failed testing on the (7) during it's debut in 1999-2004 was because the contact shoe failed to make contact on the third rails in certain areas of the Flushing line during the initial 30 day testing phase way back when over a decade ago. This is unconfirmed however. 

But apparently the R142A's can work on the (7) during more up to date testing and these battery of tests years later having everything to do with the R188's.

Edited by realizm

Credits to Railfan2.

Doubt it was codebreaking because the transit worker asked the person who shot the video to exit the train. 

Some say that the reason why the R142 failed testing on the (7) during it's debut in 1999-2004 was because the contact shoe failed to make contact on the third rails in certain areas of the Flushing line during the initial 30 day testing phase way back when over a decade ago. This is unconfirmed however. 

But apparently the R142A's can work on the (7) during more up to date testing and these battery of tests years later having everything to do with the R188's.

Nope. The train operator told me to go get a shot of the other signs before the conductor changed them :P