Crowded A, C subway lines slated for study by MTA

Lance

They do. I got off an (A) at Broad Channel that was going to Far Rockaway.

Some people want one seat ride to Rock Park at least only during rush hours, because they normally don't outside of rush hours. Far Rock and Lefferts always has one seat ride, except last to catch Shuttle to Lefferts.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's timers like that.  But what kills me is that the local always beats the express going between 145th and 125th in either direction.  But then again, there's a lot of switches and I know they had a derailment there about fifteen years ago...

I think some NTT's could help make the A and C better IMO. Idk about y'all, but those R32s and R46s don't make either of those lines too attractive if you're a tourist straight outta PABT or Penn Station. I've heard people who see the A coming and say "Man they had to send this piece of shit?!" I thought, "Hey at least it gets you where you gotta go so....." I've even seen people wait an extra 20 minutes for the E because they wanted the "new trains".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The MTA should do the following:

Have  (A) Trains serve Far Rockaway at all times (Rush Hour Service to Rockaway Park)

Have  (C) Trains serve Lefferts Boulevard at all times (Late Night service from Euclid Ave)

Full Length (600 ft)  (C) Trains

(C) Train Service till 1:00 am

Other Late Night Changes:

(A) Express from 145th Street to Chambers Street,  (D) Local along Central Park West,  (E) remain Local along 8th Ave

Other Late Night Changes:

(A) Express from 145th Street to Chambers Street,  (D) Local along Central Park West,  (E) remain Local along 8th Ave

Why? IT's THREE DAMN STOPS. I had a to tell a customer today at 59 St who wanted to Jay to GET ON THE (C) and she tried to argue that she didn't want to ride a local train......look, I'm on the (D) and I have a (B) right in front of me at 7-53 so I won't even be moving for at least a minute, and that next (A) could be 5 minutes behind mine as it is, meanwhile your (C) is RIGHT THERE and ready to go and there's no way the next (A) is gonna beat it to Jay.

I'm surprised nobody brought up the (K) yet. Where's Wally when you need him?

Why? IT's THREE DAMN STOPS. I had a to tell a customer today at 59 St who wanted to Jay to GET ON THE (C) and she tried to argue that she didn't want to ride a local train......look, I'm on the (D) and I have a (B) right in front of me at 7-53 so I won't even be moving for at least a minute, and that next (A) could be 5 minutes behind mine as it is, meanwhile your (C) is RIGHT THERE and ready to go and there's no way the next (A) is gonna beat it to Jay.

Lol about wally, and some people don't understand that the local is often FASTER

LMAO

I think some NTT's could help make the A and C better IMO. Idk about y'all, but those R32s and R46s don't make either of those lines too attractive if you're a tourist straight outta PABT or Penn Station. I've heard people who see the A coming and say "Man they had to send this piece of shit?!" I thought, "Hey at least it gets you where you gotta go so....." I've even seen people wait an extra 20 minutes for the E because they wanted the "new trains". Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well if folks really cared so much about that then they should go ride a tour bus or something...

I don't get the big hoobla about tech trains, but whatever ©harlie riders will get their techs soon enough...

"The customer is always right"

High St northbound...

Oh, I forgot about that one. I was thinking of ENY northbound. But I knew there must have been others, but couldn't think of it right away. The one you mentioned was added later, while the one I was thinking of was IIRC always there since I've been down here.

Oh, I forgot about that one. I was thinking of ENY northbound. But I knew there must have been others, but couldn't think of it right away. The one you mentioned was added later, while the one I was thinking of was IIRC always there since I've been down here.

That one at ENY is a killer. Never understood that one at all

Run the (C) to Rockaway Park during the summer months (at least on summer weekends), like the Bx5 and Bx12 to Orchard Beach, cuts down on long waits at Broad Channel and may reduce robberies and incidents at the station as well.

On summer weekdays, either every other (C) will run to Rockaway Park, or the (A) will run split service to all 3 terminals instead (rush hours, middays, and early evenings).

http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2014/06/broad-channel-station-is-citys-most.html

1) Does Rockaway Park need that much service? I know it's only during the summer months, but that still seems like overkill.

2) Are there enough cars for such an extension? Obviously we're talking about when the 179s are in service and not right now. However, that's still quite an extended run for 19/7 service.

1) Does Rockaway Park need that much service? I know it's only during the summer months, but that still seems like overkill.

2) Are there enough cars for such an extension? Obviously we're talking about when the 179s are in service and not right now. However, that's still quite an extended run for 19/7 service.

Rockaway Park doesn't need that much service. Besides, the (A) already goes to Rockaway Park whenever the Far Rockaway Branch is closed due to trackwork on the weekends.

Not 19/7, the (C) would only go to Rockaway Park during the daytime hours until around 8pm (early evening). The option to run every other (C) is also there. A cheaper option is just to split the (A) up to 3 terminals until 8pm to give direct Rockaway Park service in both directions

How did this turn into an A/C proposal thread......

I don't see what can be done with the C to perhaps make current service (meaning, b/w 168th & Euclid... no damn C to lefferts shit) better overall.... Whoever mentioned the amt. of E's to C's (especially) & A's I have to say is spot on.... All it really tells me is that "priority" (there goes that word again) is given to the QB & Jamaica folks, over Fulton (local) riders..... I don't mean "priority" in the sense of one line running before another either; I'm specifically referring to which 8th av local line gets better service - and that is clearly the E.....

How did this turn into an A/C proposal thread......

I don't see what can be done with the C to perhaps make current service (meaning, b/w 168th & Euclid... no damn C to lefferts shit) better overall.... Whoever mentioned the amt. of E's to C's (especially) & A's I have to say is spot on.... All it really tells me is that "priority" (there goes that word again) is given to the QB & Jamaica folks, over Fulton (local) riders..... I don't mean "priority" in the sense of one line running before another either; I'm specifically referring to which 8th av local line gets better service - and that is clearly the E.....

No question about that

Not 19/7, the (C) would only go to Rockaway Park during the daytime hours until around 8pm (early evening). The option to run every other (C) is also there. A cheaper option is just to split the (A) up to 3 terminals until 8pm to give direct Rockaway Park service in both directions

The (A) off-peak is already running every 15 minutes to either terminal during the midday... splitting it into three branches would dilute service to the point where trains run every 22 minutes during the midday, which is unacceptable. Bringing three branches up to the 15 minute standard that exists now would require a 50% increase in service on the (A), and given that it's the longest rail route in the system, would require a lot more trains than we currently have.

The Rockaway Peninsula stations, even with the summer bump in ridership, are still some of the lowest ridership stations in the city. Summer crowds pose a problem, but not so much that we should split the (A) into three.

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason Lefferts folks seem to hold such power with having the A go there? Having the A split like that never made any sense to me. As others have pointed out, they can just terminate some A trains at Howard Beach. I'm gonna jump on the C to Lefferts and A to JFK/Rockaways bandwagon. Local or express, getting more service by having all C trains go there seems like better service than a few A trains an hour anyways.

It's not so much power as it is everyone bailing the local at the first chance. Rather than send C trains to Lefferts, where riders will simply change over to the A at Rockaway Blvd and thus delay trains behind them, it's much easier in terms of keeping the railroad running to keep the split A operation.

What they need to do is increase headways on the (C) to every 5 mintues

Gee, the relays at both 168th and Euclid can definitely handle that level of frequent service. Oh, and let's not forget that nobody won't bother getting on the full (A), (B) and (E) (if they came first) anymore. You're absolutely right...the shorten (A) is severely overcrowded enough on both CPW and Fulton to warrant a 50% increase in service. Yeah, I'm sure the (MTA) has an unlimited capital budget all for more local service on the 8th Avenue/Fulton Street corridor.

[/sarcasm]

I guess nobody (except Culver) likes my idea because while not being the most fantasy-esque, it's still the most practical:

(A) - From 0500 to 2200, every other train will run to either Far Rockaway or Howard Beach JFK. The Rock Park showcase specials will run as they always did. After 2200, every train to Far Rock. Express except when the (C) isn't running (and the (C) will run later)
(C) - From 0500 to 0030, every train runs 168 to Lefferts via the local. 0030-0500 the shuttle from Euclid to Lefferts will run (note that this depends on the line having R160 or R179's available for OPTO). Some (C) 's will drop out at Euclid as needed for layups/putins.
(H) - Runs 24/7 as it does now

Lefferts doesn't need a direct express, Rock Park doesn't need direct service all day, and we can't send EVERY (A) to the Rockaways as we don't have the equipment and the cost of crews would sky rocket since each job would be over 8 hours.

Archived