Officials to restore express F train service to Coney Island

GojiMet86

Via FB:

http://brooklyn.news12.com/news/city-officials-to-restore-express-f-train-service-to-coney-island-1.11012183

Officials to restore F train service to Coney Island

October 26, 2015 8:35 PM

The amusement district is busier than ever. To ensure its success streak continues, city officials have plans to restore the F train express service to Coney Island.

Major Bill de Blasio and Gov. Andrew Cuomo have already agreed to fund the plan for the next four years. The renovations will be one of the many advancements Coney Island is making during its renaissance.

You need an account to read the rest.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No details at all. I take it the only thing they can do is the alternating exp/loc service (no way to squeeze another line in, like the (V) originally was supposed to be). But then, it was feared this would remove too much service from the local.

Bergen St (lower level) isn't gonna open for another few years in its terrible condition. There needs to be a few, well,"G.O.s" before being put to service. If there is an express reimplemented, there's a 50/50 chance the (F) will be fully express, so Bergen St is definitely gonna see service one way or another.

They'll probably send at a minimum every other (G) train from Queens to Kings Highway to help out with the local stops, with the trains going to/from the yard going in service at Kings Highway instead of deadheading all the way to Church.

I don't think Coney island yard would have enough trains to send the (G) all the way to Kings highway but it would be a be a good idea to maybe make the (G) express north of Church ave since the stations south of Church have the lowest ridership.

Hmmm, seems like another proposal that's been discussed to death on the forums might actually be happening. I guess lightning can strike twice at the MTA. I'm just wondering how and when they're going to operate the (F) express and if it's going to be express all the way through Brooklyn or just on the Culver el. If it's going to run in rush hours, they'll have to split the existing F service into local and express.

Hmmm, seems like another proposal that's been discussed to death on the forums might actually be happening. I guess lightning can strike twice at the MTA. I'm just wondering how and when they're going to operate the (F) express and if it's going to be express all the way through Brooklyn or just on the Culver el. If it's going to run in rush hours, they'll have to split the existing F service into local and express.

The peak express segment from Kings Highway to 18 Avenue used to operate, but shut down in the mid 80s for whatever reason

Bergen St lower won't be seeing ANY service without some MAJOR renovations, as it's now doubling as a relay room for the new interlocking which was installed a couple years ago. Forget about seeing it restored for passenger service, it's not gonna happen. If anything, they'll be putting walls up to keep peering eyes OUT of that platform.

I don't think Coney island yard would have enough trains to send the (G) all the way to Kings highway but it would be a be a good idea to maybe make the (G) express north of Church ave since the stations south of Church have the lowest ridership.

Can't send the (G) express. The point of no return for getting to Hoyt St is being on the local track entering Smith-9.

The peak express segment from Kings Highway to 18 Avenue used to operate, but shut down in the mid 80s for whatever reason

They shut it down in the mid 80s to rehab the el, but since it was only four stops that got skipped, no one really missed it when the rehab work was done and no one wanted it back. If (yes, if) there really is going to be an (F) express in Brooklyn, it will have to skip more than just those four stops if they really expect this express to be a well-used service. So running the (G) as the express is a no-go, because in order to get to Hoyt, the G could only skip those four stops. Or risk tying up the F at Smith-9, which is also no good.

They shut it down in the mid 80s to rehab the el, but since it was only four stops that got skipped, no one really missed it when the rehab work was done and no one wanted it back. If (yes, if) there really is going to be an (F) express in Brooklyn, it will have to skip more than just those four stops if they really expect this express to be a well-used service. So running the (G) as the express is a no-go, because in order to get to Hoyt, the G could only skip those four stops. Or risk tying up the F at Smith-9, which is also no good.

I definitely agree about the (G).

How about this? Since the (F) short turns at Kings Highway during rush hours, those short turns should act like the (6), while the express (F) ( no <F> emoji :( ) acts similar to the <6> and runs the full route, with peak direction service only between Kings Highway and Metrotech/Bergen St. No bi direction express service north of Church Av unless there is enough ridership for it after a year or so. Similar to the 1980's if I say so myself.

I would just run the F the way the 6 runs have a F to kings hwy the way it is now and coney island F goes exp..

I didn't even realize you said this lol. But yeah, obviously I agree.

The issue is that ridership at local stations is way too high to have them only be served by half the train service.

Honestly, the (F) os already crowded in queens, and this is the easiest Culver exp method without tampering with the (M).

How about this? Since the (F) short turns at Kings Highway during rush hours, those short turns should act like the (6), while the express (F) ( no <F> emoji :( ) acts similar to the <6> and runs the full route, with peak direction service only between Kings Highway and Metrotech/Bergen St. No bi direction express service north of Church Av unless there is enough ridership for it after a year or so. Similar to the 1980's if I say so myself.

If you have two express tracks - like you do north of Church Ave - what would be the point of using only one of them?

I didn't even realize you said this lol. But yeah, obviously I agree.

Honestly, the (F) os already crowded in queens, and this is the easiest Culver exp method without tampering with the (M).

You can't increase (F) frequency, so the only way to do it is decrease (F) frequency at local stations, but the local stations in Brooklyn are just as busy, if not busier than the express stations, so you're screwing over way more people than it benefits for the sake of having an express train. It's the reason we don't have a Jerome Av express.

If you have two express tracks - like you do north of Church Ave - what would be the point of using only one of them?

Isn't only one of them operational? There's also less frequency reverse-peak, and no one really needs to express to Coney Island in the reverse peak direction, so it wouldn't even benefit anybody.

Isn't only one of them operational? There's also less frequency reverse-peak, and no one really needs to express to Coney Island in the reverse peak direction, so it wouldn't even benefit anybody.

If only one of those express tracks between Church and Jay is operational, that's news to me. I could have sworn I've seen recent G.O.'s on the (F) line using either the northbound or the southbound express track. Although trains usually switched between 4th Ave and Smith & 9th, so maybe one of the tracks is out of service between Smith & 9th and Jay.

And aren't city officials focused on express service to Coney Island independent of rush hour traffic?

A Coney Island express would work better on the weekend than rush hour

Brighton Express - Summer weekend (B) service extended to Coney Island

Culver Express - Either extend the summer weekend (E) to Coney Island (via Culver Express), or double weekend (F) service to create a weekend only <F>

West End Express / Sea Beach Express - Summer weekend only (V) from 96 St-2 Av to Coney Island

(V) will use both the West End and Sea Beach to provide "bi directional express service" and to avoid scraping the wall in Brooklyn.

(V) Saturday service

West End Express S/B Sea Beach Express N/B

(V) Sunday service

Sea Beach Express S/B, West End Express N/B

LOL the article has seen a pretty substantial edit:

First of all, New headline: 

"Officials consider F train service to Coney Island"

Emphasis mine. 

The article text has also been edited highly: 

An MTA spokesperson says the agency is studying express F train service in Brooklyn. However, the spokesperson says the service change would be difficult to implement since the highest ridership on the "F is at local stations, and express trains would have to merge at Jay Street into local tracks that are already at capacity." 

The idea of off-peak express service is intriguing. If they're trying to boost Coney Island as a leisure destination, weekend express service would be more beneficial than weekday express service.

You could easily run a train 6th Ave Express, Culver Express, Middle track all the way down on the weekends. You've got all the equipment in the world, just need to add crews. 

But would anyone use it? 

Archived