R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I Doubt it, Wouldn't make any sense now.

Its heading to Concourse due to the planning of 8th Ave/6th Ave and Central Park West CBTC. The R211's are going to be ordered to head to Concourse after pitkins transfer. Including because what if B/D trains get's rerouted and can't go to 8th Avenue due to them having SMEE's n sort instead of NTT's. It makes sense.

20 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I Doubt it, Wouldn't make any sense now.

Well the (B) has always had some space at Concourse since they've been running on  Grand Concourse, but it does make sense. Why would it make sense to have a CBTC route at a yard with other routes that don't have CBTC, and will not get it for some time?

7 hours ago, Jacob said:

Its heading to Concourse due to the planning of 8th Ave/6th Ave and Central Park West CBTC. The R211's are going to be ordered to head to Concourse after pitkins transfer. Including because what if B/D trains get's rerouted and can't go to 8th Avenue due to them having SMEE's n sort instead of NTT's. It makes sense.

5 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

Well the (B) has always had some space at Concourse since they've been running on  Grand Concourse, but it does make sense. Why would it make sense to have a CBTC route at a yard with other routes that don't have CBTC, and will not get it for some time?

I was saying now it wouldn't , later on yeah it would make sense. This would make concourse a mixed yard of R211's an R160's.

I could see the (B) going to concourse in 2024 or 2025. Right now it's fine at Coney island, Plus they have to upgrade concourse barn to handle NTT's and etc.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

I was saying now it wouldn't , later on yeah it would make sense. This would make concourse a mixed yard of R211's an R160's.

I could see the (B) going to concourse in 2024 or 2025. Right now it's fine at Coney island, Plus they have to upgrade concourse barn to handle NTT's and etc.

Probably when the R211 order starts heading in touch with concourse, the (B) will be moved. I don't know it'll be concourse based this year or early 2022. it's probably unlikely that concourse will be getting R160s from Jamaica even if its getting pulled off if the gangway order is set. But we'll see actually

Edited by Jacob

On 10/27/2021 at 8:54 AM, Jacob said:

Old signals are kept, so non CBTC trains could operate there if needed.  The only difference is that the signal blocks are longer.

On 10/27/2021 at 10:37 AM, R68ACTrain said:

The whole idea is if CCYD can handle maintenance requirements on twice the number of cars.  Too many of you forget (or don't know) there is a big difference between where trains are laid up and where they are assigned for maintenance/inspection purposes.  I don't see the advantage of having the cars assigned to the B being maintained at CCYD when CIYD has 3 times as much room.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:49 AM, brakethrow said:

I actually don't find the propulsion sound on these things all that great. Siemens still takes the cake IMO.

Is the acceleration on these any faster than the NTTs currently in service?

No. Acceleration conforms to the design spec of 2.5 mph/s.

As for the propulsion, it is my opinion after watching the following video that the R211 is just a higher pitched 1996 Tube Stock lol:

1996TS to compare:

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Gabriel Logan said:

I wonder why the Concourse Line isn’t getting any love at all. After all, it’s the IND’s second line that opens (First being the 8th avenue Line)

Because it was originally supposed to be a 4 track line. If it were a 4 track line, the B would be local to Bedford Park Blvd at all times no matter what.

6 hours ago, ActiveCity said:

Because it was originally supposed to be a 4 track line. If it were a 4 track line, the B would be local to Bedford Park Blvd at all times no matter what.

Nah, the (D) would still replace it, of peak. Obviously, The four track would be a waste being that the (4) is parallel to that corridor.....