R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

I noticed on Youtube there's various railfans who have videos of the train sitting in Pikin Yard 😄

I remember when the R179 order in its testing phase there was all kinds of railfan f**kery from fanners calling the yard to trying to convince the security guard there to let them inside to see the 179s. I wonder if that's still happening 😄 Fanners should avoid taking photos & videos at Yards and Depots if their not an employee, I use to do that as a teen (I'm 30 now) and admit it was wrong. Nothing wrong with going on the ramps of the apartment complex above Pikin yard and just looking though.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I noticed on Youtube there's various railfans who have videos of the train sitting in Pikin Yard 😄

I remember when the R179 order in its testing phase there was all kinds of railfan f**kery from fanners calling the yard to trying to convince the security guard there to let them inside to see the 179s. I wonder if that's still happening 😄 Fanners should avoid taking photos & videos at Yards and Depots if their not an employee, I use to do that as a teen (I'm 30 now) and admit it was wrong. Nothing wrong with going on the ramps of the apartment complex above Pikin yard and just looking though.

They actually did that?

53 minutes ago, P3F said:

I can't find the specific posts with the search feature at the moment, but I certainly recall an MTA employee occasionally saying that @TransitJusticeForAll was annoying the yard personnel by calling them about the R179s 

https://giphy.com/gifs/jerseyshore-jersey-shore-family-vacation-gk9vWUE6EAgQKtAqaX

1 hour ago, Q44 SBS said:

Credit to: I has been censored

The propulsion is so clear to hear now.

It really just sounds like a different take on the Siemens Propulsion. I don't know if I said this in here, but the R211 in all honesty is just an upgraded R160B if it underwent a major GOH.

2 hours ago, Q44 SBS said:

Credit to: I has been censored

The propulsion is so clear to hear now.

I'm surprised both sets aren't coupled and testing together.

Also, aren't these cars suppose to go throughout the entire B-Divison for clearance testing before testing other stuff?

11 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I'm surprised both sets aren't coupled and testing together.

Also, aren't these cars suppose to go throughout the entire B-Divison for clearance testing before testing other stuff?

Yes, I do believe that's the case for any new cars. But right now, I think they're sticking to training and testing in the Rockaways.

I rode the SIR today and they built a whole new barn just for the R211s. The facility looks to be pretty much complete. The current SI R44 fleet is serviced in a shed like building. I hope the 44s get to be maintained in the new barn before they are retired. They are loud and rough riding, complete opposite of the NYCT R44s when they was running.

I hope the SI R211 have the WABCO AA2 horn which is equipped on the SI R44s, NYCT work diesels and the PA5s. 

10 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I rode the SIR today and they built a whole new barn just for the R211s. The facility looks to be pretty much complete. The current SI R44 fleet is serviced in a shed like building. I hope the 44s get to be maintained in the new barn before they are retired. They are loud and rough riding, complete opposite of the NYCT R44s when they was running.

I hope the SI R211 have the WABCO AA2 horn which is equipped on the SI R44s, NYCT work diesels and the PA5s. 

Any pictures ?

17 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Those R44's need to go, They're beyond done. Frames have rot and other issues

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

Those R44's need to go, They're beyond done. Frames have rot and other issues

They were originally supposed to be replaced by the R179s (or even prematurely retired like their NYCT Counterparts by the R160s), but their replacement had been always postponed until the following order. I think this time there’s no way around it - outright replacement (unless a scheme arises to just retrofit R68/R68A cars and just kick the can down the road even more)