R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

The best propulsion sounds so far, it's pretty clear. They ran the R211 via Rutgers, but after that, I don't know how they ran onto QBL. Somehow it was at 7 Av-53 St, then Canal St then at Jamaica Center. Regardless, this thing came in hauling, the T/O got real used to operating it. 

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Is the empty circle just because it's not signed up or because of some LED sync thing with cameras that happens sometimes?

It's no different from the current NTTs when they're not signed up as anything.

On 8/15/2021 at 10:23 PM, BenTheMiner said:

I don't have cellular data, so I would find transit Wi-Fi useful wherever it is.

Unless you wanna have your info stolen via public Wi-Fi access. Many people who leave their access open, are vurnable to stolen IDs and thieves can use them for credit card spending and other stuff. On the 23 year old M4s on the SEPTA’s MFL, they permanently covered the outlets so people will no longer charge phones. In the mid 2010s, youngins would desperately charge phones after recording street fights. On NYCT subways, there was never an outlet that you can charge your phones up on. 

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

211s shat the bed tonight at West 4th. It was quite the clusterf**k.

That sounds like an interesting story. I hope the protection train didn't suddenly have problems of its own.

I'm not expecting this to be a sign of another R179 debacle (problems are basically expected crop up in testing), but I hope it isn't.

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

That sounds like an interesting story. I hope the protection train didn't suddenly have problems of its own.

I'm not expecting this to be a sign of another R179 debacle (problems are basically expected crop up in testing), but I hope it isn't.

Things like this are expected when testing. It got towed back to Pitkin. It lost power at West 4th.

The clusterf**k being that the protection train, a work train, a D train already at the platform and an F train behind the protection train were held up for a good period of time.

Edited by Cait Sith

19 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Unless you wanna have your info stolen via public Wi-Fi access. Many people who leave their access open, are vurnable to stolen IDs and thieves can use them for credit card spending and other stuff. On the 23 year old M4s on the SEPTA’s MFL, they permanently covered the outlets so people will no longer charge phones. In the mid 2010s, youngins would desperately charge phones after recording street fights. On NYCT subways, there was never an outlet that you can charge your phones up on. 

Thanks for the heads up. I hope the MTA keeps their Wi-Fi secure.

23 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Its has been DECADES since the last e-commerce site used "http:" or unencrypted websites. By 2015-2016, Snowden, and the encryption certificates that browsers use, becoming free for website owns, by 2016, 99% of websites are encrypted ("https:"). Public wifi by now is as safe as your home internet. There is no way to fake the URL bar anymore in 2021. Your browser will go red URL/unsecure website warning/etc.

The MFL outlets were put in for maintenance only, the general public likes to either short circuit them, or stick chewing gum in them, or $0.50 cent phone chargers suck so much power initially when being plugged in for 1 millisecond they trip the breaker. The 120v outlet circuit might have ANOTHER semi-important load on it. Bathroom exhaust fan, or something. If the breaker trips, something OTHER than the outlet goes down. Someone (hopefully domiciled) could always try to hair dryer their shoes.

Me knowing NYCT pax, beyond USB or 12v, NYCT will never have public 120v, Im not sure if there is a 120V bus on NTTs (48v and 600v only?). Bums with a space heater or hair dryer is too risky for NYCT.

M8s/greyhound buses, those outlets are ONLY are on a outlet only circuit. If it trips, its not going to effect any other subsystem. SEPTA covered them for budget (broken outlet, this is "employee vandalism" since it is a "restricted space", and since we didn't find an employee to fire, his supervisor is fired, to prevent future "unfunded" vandalism repairs, get rid of the outlet) and technical reasons (it has a hardwired load). If SEPTA built it with an outlet at every seat, it would be budgeted as wear and tear. If its employees only, or semi hidden, there is no budget to fix it.

I've seen bums use nails and a cut off extension cord to tap into the twist lock and euro pin station outlets, and run the extension cord to the wood bench over some pipes. I bought a twist lock adapter for laptop charging, its safer.

At this point in 2021, if you DONT have unlimited data, or you want to download whole movies to watch offline, the transit wifi is useful. In 3G era the wifi was super important, 4G era, eghhh cell data is fast enough, even tho the subway will never have 5G or high capacity newer bands. Security isnt any reason to skip using TW wifi. Post Byford trains come at proper headways, the 15/30 seconds to log into TW wifi isnt worth it unless after 11pm.

7 hours ago, bulk88 said:

Its has been DECADES since the last e-commerce site used "http:" or unencrypted websites. By 2015-2016, Snowden, and the encryption certificates that browsers use, becoming free for website owns, by 2016, 99% of websites are encrypted ("https:"). Public wifi by now is as safe as your home internet. There is no way to fake the URL bar anymore in 2021. Your browser will go red URL/unsecure website warning/etc.

The MFL outlets were put in for maintenance only, the general public likes to either short circuit them, or stick chewing gum in them, or $0.50 cent phone chargers suck so much power initially when being plugged in for 1 millisecond they trip the breaker. The 120v outlet circuit might have ANOTHER semi-important load on it. Bathroom exhaust fan, or something. If the breaker trips, something OTHER than the outlet goes down. Someone (hopefully domiciled) could always try to hair dryer their shoes.

Me knowing NYCT pax, beyond USB or 12v, NYCT will never have public 120v, Im not sure if there is a 120V bus on NTTs (48v and 600v only?). Bums with a space heater or hair dryer is too risky for NYCT.

M8s/greyhound buses, those outlets are ONLY are on a outlet only circuit. If it trips, its not going to effect any other subsystem. SEPTA covered them for budget (broken outlet, this is "employee vandalism" since it is a "restricted space", and since we didn't find an employee to fire, his supervisor is fired, to prevent future "unfunded" vandalism repairs, get rid of the outlet) and technical reasons (it has a hardwired load). If SEPTA built it with an outlet at every seat, it would be budgeted as wear and tear. If its employees only, or semi hidden, there is no budget to fix it.

I've seen bums use nails and a cut off extension cord to tap into the twist lock and euro pin station outlets, and run the extension cord to the wood bench over some pipes. I bought a twist lock adapter for laptop charging, its safer.

At this point in 2021, if you DONT have unlimited data, or you want to download whole movies to watch offline, the transit wifi is useful. In 3G era the wifi was super important, 4G era, eghhh cell data is fast enough, even tho the subway will never have 5G or high capacity newer bands. Security isnt any reason to skip using TW wifi. Post Byford trains come at proper headways, the 15/30 seconds to log into TW wifi isnt worth it unless after 11pm.

Thank you as well for the information!

21 hours ago, BenTheMiner said:

Thanks for the heads up. I hope the MTA keeps their Wi-Fi secure.

There are some things that can be done on their end that help with security, like enabling newer Wi-Fi standards and disabling older, less-secure ones. But that is generally not the right way to think about it. Any public Wi-Fi network shared with other people carries some risk, unless you are using a VPN. 

16 hours ago, bulk88 said:

Its has been DECADES since the last e-commerce site used "http:" or unencrypted websites. ... There is no way to fake the URL bar anymore in 2021. Your browser will go red URL/unsecure website warning/etc.

You're absolutely correct that the relative ubiquity of HTTPS does make most things much more secure than they used to be, but... 

16 hours ago, bulk88 said:

...99% of websites are encrypted ("https:"). Public wifi by now is as safe as your home internet. There is no way to fake the URL bar anymore in 2021.

This is all false. It's closer to 90% of web sites that default to HTTPS. Public Wi-Fi carries way more risk than your home internet. And you are vastly underestimating the creativity of bad actors; they invent new ways to trick people into visiting the wrong web site every day. 

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Do the side signs on the mockup look bigger then the actual thing? Screen_Shot_2018_01_22_at_11.07.00_AM.0.

That mockup doesn't actually have door pockets so I wouldn't be surprised if they originally wanted to make the windows that large and then as they made the blueprints for the actual cars, realized they screwed up the calculations.

15 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Do the side signs on the mockup look bigger then the actual thing? Screen_Shot_2018_01_22_at_11.07.00_AM.0.

They seem smaller as the real ones take up more than half the window space, yet they fit less as they went with low resolution LEDs that are quite different in comparison to the mockup's signs. The way the line and destination is displayed also remains the same as the current NTTs, possibly because the sign was too small and/or they were lazy to alter the entire program (as they just copied and pasted the programs over with only a few modifications).

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

Just out of curiosity, how many lines does the R211 has to do clearance test on ? 

So far, the R211 ran on the (A)(B)(C)(D)(E)(F)(G)(H)(technically)(J)(L)(M)(Q) (only SAS and Brighton) (R) (only 4 Av, not sure about express, and QBL) (S) and (Z). They're basically almost done with clearance testing, unless they still need to run through relays and other tracks that haven't been tested yet. Other than that, the only thing that needs testing is the (N)/(W), rest of the (Q) and (R).

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

So far, the R211 ran on the (A)(B)(C)(D)(E)(F)(G)(H)(technically)(J)(L)(M)(Q) (only SAS and Brighton) (R) (only 4 Av, not sure about express, and QBL) (S) and (Z). They're basically almost done with clearance testing, unless they still need to run through relays and other tracks that haven't been tested yet. Other than that, the only thing that needs testing is the (N)/(W), rest of the (Q) and (R).

I thought that in addition to clearance tests (or as part of the package) , the test train had to run mimicking every service pattern possible (short-turns and reverse moves). For example - if a train has to change direction at Church Av southbound on the (F) line because of an issue at Kings Highway, it would have to relay like the (G) train normally does. This way, the train can test whether or not it would lose power going over possible third-rail gaps.

Edited by darkstar8983

49 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

I thought that in addition to clearance tests (or as part of the package) , the test train had to run mimicking every service pattern possible (short-turns and reverse moves). For example - if a train has to change direction at Church Av southbound on the (F) line because of an issue at Kings Highway, it would have to relay like the (G) train normally does. This way, the train can test whether or not it would lose power going over possible third-rail gaps.

But would they relay the R211 on all 4 relay tracks at Church Ave.?