R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The R211 4040-4049 is in production. The open gangway is there where the emergency doors are at place with the chains. 

So you're saying the accordion piece is about aligned with where the chains are on the standard sets? So the gangway is almost designed like how the buses articulated piece is designed?

4 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

So you're saying the accordion piece is about aligned with where the chains are on the standard sets? So the gangway is almost designed like how the buses articulated piece is designed?

Yes. Image is inserted for clear meaning. Photo credit to the photographer. 

279278309_535440371572607_43637623927569

10 hours ago, Calvin said:

Oh I thought you were saying a design similar to Montreal's Azur trains. This reminds me of TTC's Rocket trains. They even still have the spring connectors to add afterwards similar to the TTC trains.

14 hours ago, Calvin said:

Well, looks like these are almost ready to be delivered. If whoever posted the recent progression on the R211's in general, this should line up to a summer delivery.

IMO, I think that the MTA should use the r211's as an opportunity to improve service on one of the most neglected and confusing lines, which is the B. How??

1. Both the B and D should definitely get the first option order of the r211's due to CBTC on 8th and 6th Avenue.

2. The B needs to run between Bedford Park and Brighton Beach from 5am to 11pm Monday to Friday. Concourse can definitely handle both the B and D running local in the Bronx during off peak. (Note: Leave D service in the Bronx as it is now).

3. The B needs to run between 145th and Brighton Beach during the weekends from 5am to 11pm. CPW needs more local service during the weekends due to the huge number of tourists that visit the museums during the weekends. These tourists think that both the B and C run during the weekends. B service should only be rerouted or suspended whenever track work is needed on CPW, which doesn't happen too often.

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

3. The B needs to run between 145th and Brighton Beach during the weekends from 5am to 11pm. CPW needs more local service during the weekends due to the huge number of tourists that visit the museums during the weekends. These tourists think that both the B and C run during the weekends. B service should only be rerouted or suspended whenever track work is needed on CPW, which doesn't happen too often.

Better yet, have the (B) train run in Manhattan from Harlem 145th Street to Lower East Side - 2 Avenue. Remember that the Brighton section of the (B) train runs on weekdays, though it is local at all times.

20 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

IMO, I think that the MTA should use the r211's as an opportunity to improve service on one of the most neglected and confusing lines, which is the B. How??

1. Both the B and D should definitely get the first option order of the r211's due to CBTC on 8th and 6th Avenue.

2. The B needs to run between Bedford Park and Brighton Beach from 5am to 11pm Monday to Friday. Concourse can definitely handle both the B and D running local in the Bronx during off peak. (Note: Leave D service in the Bronx as it is now).

As much as i would love that i think those R211 Gonna go to the (A79)(E79) or (F)...(D) trains should get a piece of that order in my opinion...Only 24 hour line in the b division that havent yet receive any NTT...Also i do agree with the (B) running on weekends 145 st- Brighton Beach...  

9 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

As much as i would love that i think those R211 Gonna go to the (A79)(E79) or (F)...(D) trains should get a piece of that order in my opinion...Only 24 hour line in the b division that havent yet receive any NTT...Also i do agree with the (B) running on weekends 145 st- Brighton Beach...  

(B) and (D) share Concourse Yard and given that (MTA) is installing CBTC along 8th between 59th and Hoyt-Schemerhorn, better off to be prepared by giving the (B) and (D) NTT's so 211's could appear on the (B) Regardless, but alas, its still too early to tell.

I see them more likely sending 22's to (A)(C)(E)(F)(R)and then sending the 160's to (B)(D) (whch will be sufficient for the CBTC), and the 68's then on (N)(Q)(W) (Unless they decide to give the (D) something new in almost 40 years, and put some 211's there, and keep more 160's in Queens).

I hope the (D) line gets the R211s first. Have the pliot set do its 30 day test on the (D) and as the production set R211s come in bump R68s to CI to replace the R46s there. 

Once the (D) has enough R211s, send the second batch to Pikin to replace the R46s assigned there.

Also does anybody know if the pilot open gangway sets will have to do an year of testing or will the process go Delivery - Burn in testing - Revenue service?

13 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I hope the (D) line gets the R211s first. Have the pliot set do its 30 day test on the (D) and as the production set R211s come in bump R68s to CI to replace the R46s there. 

Once the (D) has enough R211s, send the second batch to Pikin to replace the R46s assigned there.

Also does anybody know if the pilot open gangway sets will have to do an year of testing or will the process go Delivery - Burn in testing - Revenue service?

I too hope the (D) gets the R211's first, at least the pilot set with that going to the (A) later because of CBTC and then the other batch going to the (D)

Because the open gangway is a pilot set, I'm going to assume they will do the year test instead of production testing.  

2 hours ago, Eric B said:

I see them more likely sending 22's to (A)(C)(E)(F)(R)and then sending the 160's to (B)(D) (whch will be sufficient for the CBTC), and the 68's then on (N)(Q)(W) (Unless they decide to give the (D) something new in almost 40 years, and put some 211's there, and keep more 160's in Queens).

They recently (was it 2020 or 2021?) moved the remaining 160s not on BMT Eastern to Queens Blvd for CBTC, so wouldn’t it make more sense to start the R211’s on the (A)(C), then the (N)(Q)(W)

9 minutes ago, B61In2002 said:

They recently (was it 2020 or 2021?) moved the remaining 160s not on BMT Eastern to Queens Blvd for CBTC, so wouldn’t it make more sense to start the R211’s on the (A)(C), then the (N)(Q)(W)

The NQW will not get CBTC any time soon. Therefore, the r68's will replace the r46 on the NQW. The B and D will get NTT's due to the fact that both lines get rerouted through 8th Avenue and 6th Avenue will get CBTC as well. There is no point of putting NTTs on lines that are not getting CBTC.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

The base order will go to the A and C. The B and D will get the first option order.

7 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The NQW will not get CBTC any time soon. Therefore, the r68's will replace the r46 on the NQW. The B and D will get NTT's due to the fact that both lines get rerouted through 8th Avenue and 6th Avenue will get CBTC as well. There is no point of putting NTTs on lines that are not getting CBTC.

I get your logic with the D (B usually just gets suspended or holds in stations during those situations) but the R68/68As are holding up much better than the R46s, which Broadway holds the bulk of the 46s. If 8th wasn’t having CBTC installed, they’d probably revive the initial order. 

3 hours ago, Eric B said:

I could see this happening if the option orders are also open gangway. The (E)(F) could use the boost in capacity. Either way as long as the (B)(D) get some form of CBTC equipped NTT, I'm happy.

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

That's not happening when it's in Black and white that the (A)(C) will be getting these cars first due to 8th ave CBTC which should be complete by 2025 (2026).

Every IND line will have tech trains within the next 4-6 years because of CBTC meaning all R46's have to be off the (A)(C) by 2024 and the R68's off the (B)(D) by 2025-2026.

Each 8th ave line has to be fully tech by 2024-2025, This is why the (B)(D) won't get them first. And it wouldn't make any sense to give the (B) R211's since it's a part time route. The R160's would be a better fit for the (B)

Jamaica would just be a mixture of R160 and R211's. they wouldn't make it all R211's since the fleet would be too new. The (D)  could probably get about 330-350 R211's while the (B) if it stays at Coney get the R160's from Jamaica (This would allow the Siemens to go back to CI yard first) followed by 8713-8842 group of R160's. meaning some could be shared with the (N)(W)

Edited by R32 3838

8 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

That's not happening when it's in Black and white that the (A)(C) will be getting these cars first due to 8th ave CBTC which should be complete by 2025 (2026).

Every IND line will have tech trains within the next 4-6 years because of CBTC meaning all R46's have to be off the (A)(C) by 2024 and the R68's off the (B)(D) by 2025-2026.

Each 8th ave line has to be fully tech by 2024-2025, This is why the (B)(D) won't get them first. And it wouldn't make any sense to give the (B) R211's since it's a part time route. The R160's would be a better fit for the (B)

Jamaica would just be a mixture of R160 and R211's. they wouldn't make it all R211's since the fleet would be too new. The (D)  could probably get about 330-350 R211's while the (B) if it stays at Coney get the R160's from Jamaica (This would allow the Siemens to go back to CI yard first) followed by 8713-8842 group of R160's. meaning some could be shared with the (N)(W)

Makes good sense to me

11 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

IMO ALL open gangway need to Jamaica and Pitkin. The A, E and F are the most crowded lines of the B division.

It doesn't make any sense to put open gangway trains on the C which is barely crowded during rush hours. The C only needs a full fleet of 10 car standatd trains  and that's it.

Any NTT's that go to CI will most likely go to the B and Q due to CBTC and 2nd Avenue expansion. The W is also a part time line and the NW will do fine with the r68's.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

38 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

IMO ALL open gangway need to Jamaica and Pitkin. The A, E and F are the most crowded lines of the B division.

It doesn't make any sense to put open gangway trains on the C which is barely crowded during rush hours. The C only needs a full fleet of 10 car standatd trains  and that's it.

Any NTT's that go to CI will most likely go to the B and Q due to CBTC and 2nd Avenue expansion. The W is also a part time line and the NW will do fine with the r68's.

(N)(W) need tech trains because of the Astoria Terminal swap. That's why the R46's are mainly on the (N)(W) due to the digital signs.

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Still tho; Base option order for the (A) and (C)If the MTA has a choice to fleet swap the Open-Gangway or bombard them with Opengangways for extra service. It's a possibility.

Supposedly, hence QBL is a whole crowd walk on Rush Hours. Gangways are needed for the situation it has in. Court Square - Forest Hills 71st Av are a hellhole to experience. I would like opengangways there hahahaha.

Astoria riders really still have to either cope with the situation that is mostly unlikely that they'll regain any NTT's hence if the (B) moves outta the CIY to Concourse freeing car assignments. The rest of the R68/A fleet would rule over the N/Q/W near 2040. And will replace R46s along the yard as well. If that plans goes. Hence Jamaica's situations if the Gangway comes in is either R160s for Concourse for (B)Service and supposedly extra cars for CBTC/SMS. Or R160s for Coney Island to pretty much deal with Astoria riders complaining about roll-sign issues (Tbh the r46s already have LCD for destination. So I don't know why're they're complaining. Or its the front sign ig that is somehow confusing but idk.)

Continuing on, In my way I don't expect Broadway either touching the R160s/211's later on. It's still a possibility of how they use it. Including the fact nor CBTC along would be along those lines in the meanwhile. This can change if the MTA decides to get rid of all R46, R68/A's in the span of 4-5 years smh. and as well the Second Avenue Expansion. To me bringing NTT's for the sore purposes of SAS isn't any reasonable. I rlly don't see a difference along the line. if no R68/A's are going to retire throughout this 2020-30 era. Broadway/4th Av/West End/Brighton/Sea Beach/Astoria/SAS lines won't be getting any sorts of CBTC.

as well I'm expecting 

8 car (G) trains from pulled out ENY/Fresh Ponds R160's or R179's from either 207th (To relieve crowding. Possibly 10 car)

Hence (M) trains are likely to get R211's (8 Car Option) if needed. If R179's ain't touching (G) service. I could expect (J) and (Z) trains running most or all R179's throughout the meanwhile. the (L) i rlly don't know.

man why r we discussing about how orders would go :sob:

21 hours ago, Eric B said:

I can see that. They seem to like having having the (B) and (D) run the same or similar trains. But then there will be a lot of (N) and (W) trains with incorrect southern destination signs. 

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

20 hours ago, Vulturious said:

I too hope the (D) gets the R211's first, at least the pilot set with that going to the (A) later because of CBTC and then the other batch going to the (D)

Because the open gangway is a pilot set, I'm going to assume they will do the year test instead of production testing.  

The (D) won’t be first in line for R211s. It’ll be the (A) and (C) first. I suppose they should test the pilot open gangway train around the B-Division before running it in passenger service. But would they need an entire year of doing that?

11 hours ago, Jacob said:

Still tho; Base option order for the (A) and (C)If the MTA has a choice to fleet swap the Open-Gangway or bombard them with Opengangways for extra service. It's a possibility.

Supposedly, hence QBL is a whole crowd walk on Rush Hours. Gangways are needed for the situation it has in. Court Square - Forest Hills 71st Av are a hellhole to experience. I would like opengangways there hahahaha.

Astoria riders really still have to either cope with the situation that is mostly unlikely that they'll regain any NTT's hence if the (B) moves outta the CIY to Concourse freeing car assignments. The rest of the R68/A fleet would rule over the N/Q/W near 2040. And will replace R46s along the yard as well. If that plans goes. Hence Jamaica's situations if the Gangway comes in is either R160s for Concourse for (B)Service and supposedly extra cars for CBTC/SMS. Or R160s for Coney Island to pretty much deal with Astoria riders complaining about roll-sign issues (Tbh the r46s already have LCD for destination. So I don't know why're they're complaining. Or its the front sign ig that is somehow confusing but idk.)

Continuing on, In my way I don't expect Broadway either touching the R160s/211's later on. It's still a possibility of how they use it. Including the fact nor CBTC along would be along those lines in the meanwhile. This can change if the MTA decides to get rid of all R46, R68/A's in the span of 4-5 years smh. and as well the Second Avenue Expansion. To me bringing NTT's for the sore purposes of SAS isn't any reasonable. I rlly don't see a difference along the line. if no R68/A's are going to retire throughout this 2020-30 era. Broadway/4th Av/West End/Brighton/Sea Beach/Astoria/SAS lines won't be getting any sorts of CBTC.

as well I'm expecting 

8 car (G) trains from pulled out ENY/Fresh Ponds R160's or R179's from either 207th (To relieve crowding. Possibly 10 car)

Hence (M) trains are likely to get R211's (8 Car Option) if needed. If R179's ain't touching (G) service. I could expect (J) and (Z) trains running most or all R179's throughout the meanwhile. the (L) i rlly don't know.

man why r we discussing about how orders would go :sob:

(G) will not be getting R179's, Those R179's would be pushed to the (M) (When they get cbtc, The cbtc in the R179's can run on queens blvd.)

The (L) would be getting R211's (If they install the cbtc that the (L) uses which is different from the R160's 8377 and up,179s and 211s.) They'll be shared with the (J)  (Z)  like the R143's and R160's 8313-8376) If not then Yeah they could run on the (M) but could also be on the (J)(Z).

The (B) going to concourse is still a rumor. IMO it should stay at CI. If that's the case, The R160's could be shared between the (B) (100%) (N) and (W) if Jamaica gets about 500 R211s. The 260 Siemens R160's could go back along with 8713-8842 and 9103-9192 and R160A2's 8653-8712. That's 540 cars, More than enough for the (B) and (N)(W) lines with about 2-4 sets of R68/A's for additional Rush Hour service for the (N)(W) with the (Q) being 100% R68/R68A. Plus Astoria will be getting cbtc within the next 8-10 years so it would make sense to have the (B) stay at CI anyway.

The R211's could be for the (A)(C)(E)(S) rockaway pk shuttle (D)  (F) and (R) lines. But things can change.

Edited by R32 3838