R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

40 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Wasn't the idea to replace that line?

Yes, they wanted to replace the entire Mosholu Local twice:

Once during the building of the Grand Concourse extension and the other time during the Corporate era where there were more line closures than those that opened. The Fifth Avenue section (that is, the Jerome Avenue section) was planned to only operate to 161 Street - Yankee Stadium under River Avenue during the corporate era, but that never happened both times. Had it happened, I would be finding myself taking a three way transfer or even be on the Bronx Park for that matter more often. That would have been more worse than how things are today with the Interborough.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Maxwell179 said:

you got a picture ?

8 hours ago, Eric B said:

So now, R143 8121 has LCD ad panels like the 211! (Not the rectangular one on the window like the modified 160s, but the square one on the wall next to the door panels. Four per car. The next car didn't lave them).

Seems like a waste of money just like the looped stations on the r46s

1 minute ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

Looped stanchions were NOT a waste of money. They allowed for more passengers to have a pole to grab onto while standing as the pole split into two. LCD advertisement screens are a technological upgrade which makes displaying advertisements and transit information much more flexible. I'm not sure when they'll ever start displaying service information on those screens, though. That would make them much more useful.

• 3 weeks later...

MTA should reintroduce the Concourse Line Extension Plan, extending the line past Norwood-205 St. Going east to either Co-Op City or maybe even Pelham Bay Park cause they are busy areas that keep growing with people who barely have access to a train, mainly the bus. They could also bring in a future expansion to northern Queens makin it the first line to cross the 4 boroughs. 

23 minutes ago, Gabriel Logan said:

MTA should reintroduce the Concourse Line Extension Plan, extending the line past Norwood-205 St. Going east to either Co-Op City or maybe even Pelham Bay Park cause they are busy areas that keep growing with people who barely have access to a train, mainly the bus. They could also bring in a future expansion to northern Queens makin it the first line to cross the 4 boroughs. 

While I agree Concourse should be extended since Norwood was never meant to be the last stop, what exactly does this have to do with the R211 other than needing extra cars for this extension?

Even then, the main priority is SAS (which they still should have it run into the Bronx instead of skewing along 125 St).

10 hours ago, Vulturious said:

While I agree Concourse should be extended since Norwood was never meant to be the last stop, what exactly does this have to do with the R211 other than needing extra cars for this extension?

Even then, the main priority is SAS (which they still should have it run into the Bronx instead of skewing along 125 St).

I agree 100%. It could go along 3rd Avenue in the Bronx as an elevated line. There use to be an elevated subway line along 3rd Avenue in the Bronx which was knocked down in the 1970's (dumb mistake). 3rd Avenue in the Bronx is more underserved than the east side of Manhattan below 59th street. IMO any subway extensions in the outer boroughs should be using elevated tracks. It's cheaper and it's faster to build and many subway lines run on elevated tracks in the outer boroughs anyways.

As for the r211's, all option orders need to be exercised. Ridership is rising and will continue to rise.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 1:23 AM, Gabriel Logan said:

That would be very nice but based on how long the SAS is taken I don't see that happening till atleast 2060 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 4:22 PM, 1998NewFlyer said:

On 11/15/2021 at 4:25 PM, BenTheMiner said:

Looped stanchions were NOT a waste of money. They allowed for more passengers to have a pole to grab onto while standing as the pole split into two. LCD advertisement screens are a technological upgrade which makes displaying advertisements and transit information much more flexible. I'm not sure when they'll ever start displaying service information on those screens, though. That would make them much more useful.

Also, IIRC, the way advertising works in the MTA is that the ad agency pays for things like the digital ad spaces, the touch screen kiosks that also have ads, etc.

On 11/15/2021 at 7:25 PM, BenTheMiner said:

The looped stanchions in the r46s I feel like are a waste of money, not the newer fleet

On 2/2/2022 at 3:58 AM, 1998NewFlyer said:

The looped stanchions in the r46s I feel like are a waste of money, not the newer fleet

I don’t think they are necessarily a waste of money, my biggest gripe with the MTA is that they are not consistent. It always appears that a handful of units will get a particular feature but others don’t. That’s why you still have R46’s running around after all these years with the brown floors that date back to the late 80’s while a majority of units had their floors replaced with the standard black ones found on every other car fleet. 
Their buses are the same way in terms of some get a particular feature while it’s absent in others and it can be seen on fleet of the same age and model. 
What I will say is that Jamaica wasted money putting door floor mats and looped stanchions on the R46’s when their much newer R160s lacked them. If anything they should have made sure all the R160s had them. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t think they are necessarily a waste of money, my biggest gripe with the MTA is that they are not consistent. It always appears that a handful of units will get a particular feature but others don’t. That’s why you still have R46’s running around after all these years with the brown floors that date back to the late 80’s while a majority of units had their floors replaced with the standard black ones found on every other car fleet. 
Their buses are the same way in terms of some get a particular feature while it’s absent in others and it can be seen on fleet of the same age and model. 
What I will say is that Jamaica wasted money putting door floor mats and looped stanchions on the R46’s when their much newer R160s lacked them. If anything they should have made sure all the R160s had them. 

Not just on these particular features but alot of other stuff too. Like the LED side signs on the R142's and R188's for a example. How is it that only one car on a R142 has those signs but the other linked cars don't, and for years now R188 7501-7505/7506-7510 has had those LED signs as well but the other units, nothing. Someone could probably just say "There just testing them out temporarily" but it's been years now with the R188 consist which I mentioned before, having those "experimental" LED signs.

Maybe they can update the side signs on the current NTT's to something similar the R211's have on the side signs with the proper LED color bullet route sign.