Second ave Subway may miss December 2016 Deadline

B46 via Utica

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/ave-subway-december-2016-opening-deadline-article-1.2466180?cid=bitly

This will sound familiar to New Yorkers: the MTA is at risk of missing its deadline to open the Second Ave. subway.

With a year left to finish the new subway line, an independent engineer told MTA officials on Monday there’s “moderate risk” of blowing the December 2016 deadline.

Among the construction delays are installing communications and power equipment, track work, building entrances at the 72nd St. station and bringing power to the 86th St. station.

MTA officials said 30 NYC Transit employees will work towards meeting the date. A new “microschedule” for “mini-milestones” will be drafted so MTA officials and contractors will have a better handle on the construction process, said Michael Horodniceanu, the head of the MTA’s capital construction department

An MTA board member, Susan Metzger, said that a detailed schedule for the rest of the project would keep the timeline from slipping.

The problems at the 86th St. station, for instance, are “the beginning of a domino,” she said. “And if that isn’t met, we’re only going to go into a deeper hole.”

A  late opening would add to concerns about the agency’s commitment to the four-phase project, MTA Chairman Tom Prendergast said.

“We have to deliver Phase 1 by Dec. 31,” he said.

Rep. Carolyn Maloney, who represents the Upper East Side and has been monitoring the new subway’s progress, said she’s been assured that problems that plagued the opening of other complex projects like the No. 7 extension will not repeat themselves on Second Ave.

“The next few months will be critical in whether the MTA meets its deadline, but I think we can all be certain that the first phase of the subway will soon be rolling down the track,” she said.

Station rehabs are always a mess. Like, when Court Square (7) was being rehabbed, I would look out the window each morning, and... it took them two weeks to get the concrete slabs in. On one side of the platform. I'd have thought you could install one platform's worth in a single day if all the resources were present and ready for installation.

I definitely don't have the confidence to believe that it will finish in time some BS excuse is bound to delay it

But Mr. Prendergast told the media that he spoke with the governor to make it on time. 

The thing is, neither of them have any say in how the construction work goes. If there's a problem, there will be a delay, be damned whatever the media was told. All they can do is hope.

Archived