Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

(4): implement peak-direction express service on the entire Woodlawn Line on weekdays.

(5): 7-day service to/from Brooklyn College-Faltbush Avenue, have Nereid Avenue trains run express north of East 180th Street, late night extension to Grand Central-42nd Street via Lexington Avenue express and Bronx local.

(9): bring it back and have it run express in peak direction from 96th to 145th Street and Dyckman to 242nd Streets while the (1) stays local.

(A): all service to Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue and have Rockaway Park trains run express in Queens.

(B): operates on weekends with its usual weekday route.

(C): extended to Lefferts Boulevard-Ozone Park whenever it operates. The late night shuttle can stay the same.

(D): implement a new West End peak direction express service, does not have to use the same letter.

(F): during rush hours, have Coney Island trains run express in Brooklyn in either peak direction or both ways depending on section.

(J)(Z): expand skip-stop service to the full rush hour frame and in both directions, or have reverse-peak direction (Z) trains that originate/terminate at Broadway Junction run express between there and Myrtle Avenue.

(L): rush hour skip-stop service with a new letter, peak or both direction.

(N): have it run express on Broadway on weekdays again.

All other services can stay the same.

(4) - Would be hard to given that the middle track was never built for express service in the first place...

(9) - Will not work, just as last time. Nobody wants the (9).

(C) - Leffers people want the express, not the local. Multiple thread have been locked because they kept bringing up this subject.

(N) - This actually seems like a good idea. It used to work before, it could work again.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is nothing wrong with the (N) running local in Manhattan 24/7 like many people make it out to be. There are many reasons why its done that way.

There's also many reasons why they ran it express before 2010. But Im not saying they should run it express again, I was just going through his list of ideas and the (N) one actually seemed like a good one to me in *comparison* to the rest, but that's all I meant :)

Edited by Vistausss

What if the (B) turned into the Brighton local, and terminated at Coney Island, while the (Q) ran the Brighton express and terminated at Brighton Beach. Also, the (E) turning into the 8th Ave express and the (C) turning into ten cars and more frequent service. The (D) having an express counterpart <D> and running the West End express to Coney Island on rush hours to and from. The (F) having and express counterpart <F> in Brooklyn to Coney Island during rush hours to and from.

What if the (B) turned into the Brighton local, and terminated at Coney Island, while the (Q) ran the Brighton express and terminated at Brighton Beach. Also, the (E) turning into the 8th Ave express and the (C) turning into ten cars and more frequent service. The (D) having an express counterpart <D> and running the West End express to Coney Island on rush hours to and from. The (F) having and express counterpart <F> in Brooklyn to Coney Island during rush hours to and from.

I would love if the (B) ran local....

But if the (C) ran more frequently, there would probably have to be less (A) service. 

<6> service extended until 9:10pm from Brooklyn Bridge City Hall

(5) service extended :

Weekdays from Dyre to Bowling Green until 10:26pm, from Bowling Green until 11:35pm,

Saturdays from Dyre to Bowling Green until 10:21pm, from Bowling Green until 11:30pm,

Sundays from Dyre to Bowling Green until 9:57pm, from Bowling Green until 11:05pm

Extend the (6) to Co-Op City. Although just like my (1) to Riverdale-263rd Street, it will never happen, even though it would make plenty of sense due to how busy Co-Op is.

Not really the best idea. The (D) is only a few blocks away and Norwood is not really the best place when it comes to terminating trains. So a nice, new terminal at Co-Op would be great. The (5) also isn't that far from Co-Op, it even crosses the border with Eastchester to reach Dyre. But I'm in for the (D) because of the wider trains and the better terminal argument.

Not really the best idea. The (D) is only a few blocks away and Norwood is not really the best place when it comes to terminating trains. So a nice, new terminal at Co-Op would be great. The (5) also isn't that far from Co-Op, it even crosses the border with Eastchester to reach Dyre. But I'm in for the (D) because of the wider trains and the better terminal argument.

The (D) is a long way off from the (1), (5) and (6) lines. And the (5) does not cross any border to get to Dyre Ave; it stays entirely within the Bronx. The railroad line the 5 uses to get to and from Dyre did used to continue into Westchester County as the New York, Westchester and Boston Railway, but it has not done so since 1938. The Bronx portion of "the Westchester" was acquired by the City of New York in 1940. Sadly and unfortunately, the Westchester County portion was abandoned and demolished. Virtually no trace of it exists today.

The IND originally planned to extend the (D) line east toward what is now Co-Op City (it did not exist at the time those plans were drawn up), but once the City acquired the Westchester line from the City line (just north of Dyre Ave) to East 180th St, they simply incorporated that into the existing subway system and abandoned the plan to extend the D eastward.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

(6) extended to Bowling Green late-nights

Excellent idea!

For the transfer at Fulton st, especially. 

Eh, no point in extending the night (6) to/from Bowling Green. The (4) already runs local entirely at night anyway. That single one seat ride to/from Fulton Street, Wall Street and Bowling Green still exists.

Eh, no point in extending the night (6) to/from Bowling Green. The (4) already runs local entirely at night anyway. That single one seat ride to/from Fulton Street, Wall Street and Bowling Green still exists.

Not for those north of 125 St, also it reduces the waiting time for those using the transfer at Fulton and the Staten Island Ferry.

Edited by GreatOne2k

IRT

(2)Dyre Av to Rector St

Operates express from 96 St to Chambers St
Late nights: Ends at Times Sqaure
Rush Hour: 7½ tph (every 8 minutes), Midday: 5 tph (every 12 minutes)

(3)148 St to Flatbush Av
Operates express from 96 St to Chambers St
Late nights: Runs fully local
Rush Hour: 15 tph (every 4 minutes), Midday: 10 tph (every 6 minutes)

(4)Woodlawn to New Lots
Operates express from 125 St to Franklin Av
Late nights: Runs fully local
Rush Hour: 15 tph (every 4 minutes), Midday: 7½ tph (every 8 minutes)

(5)241 St to Utica Av
Operates express from 125 St to Utica Av
Rush Hour: Some trains ( <5>) operate express in the peak direction between Gun Hill Rd and 3 Av/149 st
Late nights: Ends at Brooklyn Bridge
Rush Hour: 15 tph (every 4 minutes), Midday: 7½ tph (every 8 minutes)

IND

(A)Inwood/207 St to Lefferts Blvd & Mott Av
Operates express from 168 St to Euclid Av
Late nights: Operates between Chambers St and Mott Av only (express to Euclid Av)

( (B) provides late night service to Inwood/207 St, (C) provides late night service to Lefferts Blvd)
Rush Hour: 12 tph (every 5 minutes), Midday: 8 tph (every 7½ minutes)

(B)168 St to Stillwell Av (via Brighton)
Operates express on Sixth Av and Brighton Line
Late nights: Operates fully local, between Inwood/207 St and Stillwell Av
Rush Hour: 12 tph (every 5 minutes), Midday: 7½ tph (every 8 minutes)

(C)Norwood/205 St to Euclid Av (Eighth Av Express)
Operates express between 145 St and Chambers St
Late nights: Operates locally between Columbus Circle and Lefferts Blvd
Rush Hour: 12 tph (every 5 minutes), Midday: 8 tph (every 7½ minutes)

(D)Forest Hills/71 Av to Brighton Beach (Sixth Av Local)
Operates fully local
Late nights: Does not operate

(E)Jamaica Center to Stillwell Av (via Culver)
Operates express on Queens Blvd
Late nights: Operates fully local

(F)Jamaica/179 St to World Trade Center (Sixth Av Local)
Operates express between Queensbridge/21 St and Forest Hills/71 Av at all times
Rush Hour: 18 tph (every 3 to 4 minutes), Midday: 7½ tph (every 8 minutes)

(G)Court Square to Church Av
Rush Hour: 9 tph (every 6 to 7 minutes), Midday: 7½ tph (every 8 minutes)

(H)Broad Channel to Rockaway Park
Rush Hour: 6 tph (every 10 minutes), Midday: 4 tph (every 15 minutes)

BMT

(J)Jamaica Center to Broad St
Rush Hour:

75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Jd_svg.png operates express in the peak direction between Broadway Jct and Marcy Av (9 tph)

(J) operates between Broad St and Broadway Jct only (9 tph)
Rush Hour: 18 tph (every 3 to 4 minutes), Midday: 7½ tph (every 8 minutes)

75px-NYCS-bull-trans-M2_svg.png Forest Hills/71 Av to Metropolitan Av (Eighth Av Local)
Late nights: Operates between Essex St and Metropolitan Av only
Rush Hour: 9 tph (every 6 to 7 minutes), Midday: 7½ tph (every 8 minutes)

(N)96 St/2 Av to Stillwell Av (via Bridge, Sea Beach)
Operates express on Broadway and Fourth Avenue
Late nights: Operates as shuttle service in Brooklyn only, between 36th St and Stillwell Av
Rush Hour: 9 tph (every 6 to 7 minutes), Midday: 6 tph (every 10 minutes)

(Q)96 St/2 Av to Stillwell Av (via Bridge, West End)
Operates express on Broadway and Fourth Avenue
Late nights: Operates fully local (via Bridge)
Rush Hour: 9 tph (every 6 to 7 minutes), Midday: 6 tph (every 10 minutes)

(N) & (Q)  Combined TPH (trunk corridor between 96 St/2 Av and Brooklyn 36 St/4 Av):

Rush Hour: 18 tph (every 3 to 4 minutes), Midday: 12 tph (every 5 minutes)

(R)Ditmars Blvd to Bay Ridge/95 St (via Tunnel)
Operates at all times
Rush Hour: 15 tph (every 4 minutes), Midday: 10 tph (every 6 minutes)

NOTE:

(N)(Q) would terminate at 57 St/7 Av (or 63 St) until completion of Second Avenue Line.

If you're going to split the (T) into two services that terminate so far away from each other, then one of them should have a different letter. Perhaps use U or V for the Co-op City service. I know at one point MTA and/or City planners considered using all or part of the Northeast Corridor r-o-w in the Bronx (then operated by the New York, New Haven and Hartford RR) for 2nd Avenue service to/from Co-op City. The 1968 MTA plan called for 2nd Avenue service to/from Dyre Ave and Pelham Bay Park using the existing (5) and (6) lines up to the points where they got close to the Northeast Corridor and shaving back the platform edges so the existing stations could platform B-Division trains. I thought that was a good plan, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be today, especially considering the MTA tore down the old el structure that would have been used to connect the Dyre Avenue line to the Northeast Corridor r-o-w and built an expanded bus depot in the path of the el's r-o-w (which had been used by New York, Westchester and Boston interurban trains until 1938, then later used for storage after subway service started on the portion of NYW&B r-o-w from Dyre Ave to East 180th St).

I would still stick with this routing because its not like every other (T) is heading to 125th, then to the Bronx, since there's a (Q) to take it on too, so like during rush hours, one out of every 3 (T) s would go to 125th and weekends, one out of every 4, and late nights only have Bronx and Manhattan service and let the (Q) take over 125th to reduce congestion hopefully, so I dont see the issue with making a new train especially since one service, the (A) already follows a similar concept of service, but ewww why convert the IRT lines to B Division standards, that's a lot considering now maintenance shops like East 180th and Westchester, wouldve had to have been expanded, I think its fine as is

Edited by StevenFrancis

I make it a point to not comment too much on this thread. Partly because I don't want to come off as attacking anyone, but mainly because it's your ideas and they aren't particularly bad ideas. At least for the most part.

@drekroid: I'm sorry, but I have to touch upon your suggestions because they're quite interesting. On the IRT side of things, sending the 3 as the only 7th Avenue line to Brooklyn would overwhelm that line. That and you'd have a serious overcrowding problem on the platforms at Franklin Av and Nevins St with people transferring between the 3 and Lexington Avenue trains. Concerning the 2, you're over-saturating the South Ferry branch of 7th Avenue by sending both it and the 1 down there. That section hardly needs two lines. Flipping the northern terminals for the 2 and 5 is a novel idea (I haven't seen many calls for it), but if I'm not mistaken, the two lines were flipped many years because Dyre Avenue riders wanted Lexington Avenue and not 7th Avenue.

In the B-Division, there are some more questionable line changes. By making the C another 8th Avenue express, you've left the B as the sole local along Central Park West and the E as the 8th Avenue local from 50 St to the World Trade Center. Yes, you've increased the TPH on the B, but you've also turned a one-seat local to local ride between CPW and lower 8th Avenue into a three-seat one. I see you've also flipped the E and F lines (again, novel) and all that'd do is wreck the interlocking at W 4 St and delay all trains running through that station since you'd have trains crossing in front of each other to get to their destinations. Speaking of line flips, you've got the Q on the West End and the D on Brighton (I'll admit, when I saw the D on Brighton, I rolled my eyes [see my response in the Random Thoughts thread for details], but this is new). I'm not sure that would fly well, but it is an interesting idea.

There are a couple more things I'd talk about (like why you took the R off Queens Blvd and sent it back to Astoria, how A trains would terminate at Chambers St or the C at 59 St and how Broadway would work with the R as the only local), but these were the most interesting changes I had to address.