Q70 Select Bus Service – “LaGuardia Link”

Around the Horn

When I go to LaGuardia Airport, I always help at M60 SBS machine because tourists think it's MetroCard Vending Machine.

Some tourists call the Q70,  "M70."

Some tourists think they could use $1 bill on bus or buy MetroCard onboard.

Off-board Payment might be good idea, but tourists might get confuse with M60 SBS Machine.

Speaking of off-board payment, I remember there was one tourist who swipe his MetroCard on Bx12 SBS Farebox before bus driver could say anything.

When I go to LaGuardia Airport, I always help at M60 SBS machine because tourists think it's MetroCard Vending Machine.

Some tourists call the Q70,  "M70."

Some tourists think they could use $1 bill on bus or buy MetroCard onboard.

Off-board Payment might be good idea, but tourists might get confuse with M60 SBS Machine.

Speaking of off-board payment, I remember there was one tourist who swipe his MetroCard on Bx12 SBS Farebox before bus driver could say anything.

One could use the same machine for both. Only two locations would need machines anew.

One could use the same machine for both. Only two locations would need machines anew.

It was only a matter of time before SBS routes started sharing stops. The obvious solution is to add a screen at the beginning to let the passenger choose a route.

Apparently though, the machines can only hold info for one route (or something related to that).

Apparently though, the machines can only hold info for one route (or something related to that).

The constraint is that the route number is limited to five characters. (If both were "M" routes, then "M6070" would work.) With a selection screen, the passenger can choose which route prints on the receipt.  

If that were the case, the M15 and 34A would be sharing the 2 Av and 28 St stop

M34A Machine is on northside on M15 is on south side.

I was wondering how will SBS Machine will give Q52 SBS/Q53 SBS ticket? I thought SBS machine only gives one route number?

All of the new branding going on does remind me of a lot of European networks where they have branded routes and buses everywhere. Apparently it's supposed to make the buses more attractive to riders but I doubt this is going to cause any serious increases in bus ridership.

M34A Machine is on north side on M15 is on south side.

I was wondering how will SBS Machine will give Q52 SBS/Q53 SBS ticket? I thought SBS machine only gives one route number?

No, really. I was making a point about how the SBS machine could be shared

All of the new branding going on does remind me of a lot of European networks where they have branded routes and buses everywhere. Apparently it's supposed to make the buses more attractive to riders but I doubt this is going to cause any serious increases in bus ridership.

I think that is also the reason why newer buses will have USB outlets and WIFI, however I doubt anyone is going to bust their butts and say "oh I must ride this bus because I can use their free wifi and charge my phone."

If service is still running poor many as possible will try to avoid the route. It's unfortunate because their are several routes such as my home route (Q25) that continue to suffer from really low on time performance. The MTA needs to fix problems like that first and in the case of the Q25 it really makes no sense that buses are always bunched and or missing. If the MTA can fix problems like that I'm sure ridership would go up because people would see that the service is more reliable.

Features such as WIFI and outlets do not make a service any better. Reliability is key because if people know that the bus is likely to show somewhere around the time it suppose to people will be happy to use the system.

True. The solution there was to not require fares for the M34A, although the ticket could have read "M1534."

Well the case with the M34/A, all of the SBS receipts just simply say M34 no matter what stop you're at.

• 2 weeks later...

The MTA needs to fix problems like that first and in the case of the Q25 it really makes no sense that buses are always bunched and or missing. If the MTA can fix problems like that I'm sure ridership would go up because people would see that the service is more reliable.

Exactly. See this is my problem with all the 'improvements' going on: they're fixing the wrong things. Take everybody that is working on Wi-Fi and charging on buses and assign them all to fix bus bunching.

They did the Northeast Queens Bus Study last year, but did they actually follow up on any of it? Even then, the report downplayed bunching like it wasn't a big deal.

It is a big deal, people. Why can't you fix it?

Exactly. See this is my problem with all the 'improvements' going on: they're fixing the wrong things. Take everybody that is working on Wi-Fi and charging on buses and assign them all to fix bus bunching.

They did the Northeast Queens Bus Study last year, but did they actually follow up on any of it? Even then, the report downplayed bunching like it wasn't a big deal.

It is a big deal, people. Why can't you fix it?

If I recall correctly, wasn't the WiFi on busses much more of a Cuomo/NY State push than an MTA push?

MARKETING PLAN UPDATE FROM THE MTA WEBSITE:

(If the mods want to, they can start a new thread with this)

LaGuardia Link Marketing Campaign

Elements of the new marketing campaign include advertising and LaGuardia Link promotion in media targeting potential Q70 bus riders while they make their airport-to-NYC travel plans in-flight, and again when they arrive at the airport. Media will include:

• Backlit dioramas/carousels and wall wraps in baggage claim areas to target passengers arriving at Terminals A, B, C, and D;
  • In-flight Wi-Fi and video services, primarily with Southwest Airlines;
  • In-flight print publications on Delta, American, United, and Southwest and;
  • An extensive social media campaign targeting those planning travel to/from NYC using most popular planning sites, such as Expedia.

Select Bus Service (SBS)

As previously announced, the “LaGuardia Link” will also become a Select Bus Service (SBS) in September, offering convenient off-board fare technology that allows customers to pre-pay their fare and enter and exit through any bus door, eliminating the need to wait to pay at a single fare box and decreasing dwell time at stops.

LaGuardia Link’s New Look

The rebranding sets the Q70 apart from buses on other routes, alleviating any confusion customers or tourists may have as they look for the vehicles on the street or at the airport terminals. The “new look” Q70 buses are teal blue and dotted with silhouettes of planes and clouds, a playful riff on the route’s airport terminus. The buses also feature text on their front, back and both sides noting the “LaGuardia Link,” the icons for the five subway lines and Long Island Rail Road that connect to the Q70 via the Woodside LIRR station / 61 St-Woodside 7 station and the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av 7EFMR station and a bus transfer hub. The LaGuardia Link will also continue to offer travelers convenient luggage storage racks.

http://www.mta.info/news-q70-laguardia-link-bus/2016/06/29/plans-follow-last-week%E2%80%99s-announcement-rebranding-q70-airport

This page also includes a better rendering...

laguadia_link_bus.jpg?itok=eF40DIYI

(Run this thing frequently(at least every ten minutes) 24/7 and the MTA has a goldmine on their hands)

Whatever happened to LGA depot getting artics? Upgrading this route to Artics would have been perfect along with the other improvements  they're making to the Q70. Espically considering tourists with suitcases and such take up a lot of space.

I take it the M60 fleet won't get a fancy new paint scheme, then again that route is a bit overtaxed... maybe these Q70 upgrades will divert more people to the Q70, thus reliving the M60.

Whatever happened to LGA depot getting artics? Upgrading this route to Artics would have been perfect along with the other improvements  they're making to the Q70. Espically considering tourists with suitcases and such take up a lot of space.

I take it the M60 fleet won't get a fancy new paint scheme, then again that route is a bit overtaxed... maybe these Q70 upgrades will divert more people to the Q70, thus reliving the M60.

And to add to that What about the Wifi and charging ports for the q70 its better to do it now than later "kill two birds with one stone" and get it out of the way... I'm sure the Tourists would want to use the state of the art upgrades too. lol :lol:

Whatever happened to LGA depot getting artics? Upgrading this route to Artics would have been perfect along with the other improvements they're making to the Q70. Espically considering tourists with suitcases and such take up a lot of space.

Those are for the Q53 SBS.

And to add to that What about the Wifi and charging ports for the q70 its better to do it now than later "kill two birds with one stone" and get it out of the way... I'm sure the Tourists would want to use the state of the art upgrades too. lol :lol:

All buses past the year 2011 will get em anyway.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Archived