Major express skips/runs

Abba

(J)/(Z) Broadway to Marcy

(1) 145th to 96th

With no stop at Myrtle?

I don't think this counts as a major, but I've ridden a skip on the (J) that went Crescent-Woodhaven-Sutphin.

no it doesn't count.Thats normal skip I mean exceptional.

You see some weird stuff commuting on the (6) for a few years. I'm trying to remember some of the good ones, but I recall even express stops being skipped once or twice. From 59th to 125th or something like that once, with no stop at 86th (which is bizarre, let me tell you). 

After an incident involving a sick customer, I was once on a (4) train that went from Kingsbridge Road to Yankee Stadium without stopping.

I've been on both sides of several subway skips (ones that have benefitted and burned me), and I've even been on the wrong end of a couple of Metro-North skips.

The subway skips I can tolerate though.

I benefit often from bypass and reroutings. I don't fret if it does make me miss my stop though. I can't complain if it's out of my control and subject to others.

Sometimes I think NYC doesn't take the time to analyze their commute and gets livid when these things happen.

They suddenly leave the train only to realize the rerouting didn't affect them. By then they made themselves late.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

to OP was your train was in middle track? If it was, that was weird why they skip 62 street and bay parkway. two major stops (express stop format)

i think the OP was trying to ask if anyone experienced skipping major express stop other then usually skipping local like someone mentioned going to 125 street without stopping at 86 street. 

Sometimes I think NYC doesn't take the time to analyze their commute and gets livid when these things happen.

Subway skips are nothing. People should leave a 30 minute cushion if they're going to work or school. I always do, and I have yet to get somewhere important late on the subway.

Metro-North has like a 95% on time ratio and when they do skips, it hurts much worse than a subway skip. During the winter I lost 3 hours and a crapload of money because the first New Haven train skipped Fordham, making me miss my Megabus to Boston. I missed a Danbury train years ago when another AM train did a Fordham skip; that one also cost me 3 hours of my day.

When you lose hours, that's when you should get livid. During subway skips, the most you might lose is 20 minutes (usually closer to 10 minutes, YMMV), which is better than the delays you might encounter crossing the Midtown tunnel.

Subway skips are nothing. People should leave a 30 minute cushion if they're going to work or school. I always do, and I have yet to get somewhere important late on the subway.

Metro-North has like a 95% on time ratio and when they do skips, it hurts much worse than a subway skip. During the winter I lost 3 hours and a crapload of money because the first New Haven train skipped Fordham, making me miss my Megabus to Boston. I missed a Danbury train years ago when another AM train did a Fordham skip; that one also cost me 3 hours of my day.

When you lose hours, that's when you should get livid. During subway skips, the most you might lose is 20 minutes (usually closer to 10 minutes, YMMV), which is better than the delays you might encounter crossing the Midtown tunnel.

Absolutely. In fact, many suburban agencies I ride who don't employ real time bus data are far more reliable than NYC transit (any division). We're smaller, but our transit ethic is stronger.

Any agency that thinks C+ benchmarks for on time transit is doomed to fail.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Should! Try telling that to me sleep-deprived HS self getting up before the sun came up to leave for a 45 minute train trip to then walk to my school. I had that trip timed down to the minute, with zero margin for error. Needless to say, I was late a lot.

Should! Try telling that to me sleep-deprived HS self getting up before the sun came up to leave for a 45 minute train trip to then walk to my school. I had that trip timed down to the minute, with zero margin for error. Needless to say, I was late a lot.

School for me starts at 8:29 on most days, but because I leave so early and allow a cushion I come in at 7:40. It really helped on two instances. There was a huge delay on the (E) one morning, and because of the cushion I was only 5 minutes late.

to OP was your train was in middle track? If it was, that was weird why they skip 62 street and bay parkway. two major stops (express stop format)

i think the OP was trying to ask if anyone experienced skipping major express stop other then usually skipping local like someone mentioned going to 125 street without stopping at 86 street.

the question was if it was a major express.Actually I should have asked if it went from Atlantic to Stillwell without stopping.

I once caught a (6) (well, a <6> due to circumstances) at Parkchester one weekend that was something like half an hour late due to some mechanical problem somewhere down the line. This was the first train in after all the problems, and a lot of people had decided to just accept a block ticket and take the Bx4 to Simpson to catch the (5), but I stuck around because I was going to Canal, so the train was mostly empty.

It ended up running express on the center track from Parkchester to 125, then sitting at 125 for a few minutes while awaiting a decision from the dispatcher, then making express stops in Manhattan all the way to Brooklyn Bridge(!). If I recall correctly, it even switched over to the express tracks. That was one hell of a ride, that's for sure; I don't think I ever felt an R62A go as fast as that one did from Hunts Point to 138.

In the end, I just walked to my Chinatown destination from Brooklyn Bridge, since it's equidistant from there and from Canal and both stops have elevators.

Archived