ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Operator Ace said:

thats nuts, im 99x. i check my email everyday and spam, i know i put the right email >:[

Well not that I'm implying and neither am I asking your personal business , but are you 100 percent sure you would pass the drug test . It could be that or maybe a wrong email address. If you know for sure you are good in the drug test department then by all means pursue it , because that would mean your medical is the same day as me . 

14 minutes ago, Conductor2015 said:

Well not that I'm implying and neither am I asking your personal business , but are you 100 percent sure you would pass the drug test . It could be that or maybe a wrong email address. If you know for sure you are good in the drug test department then by all means pursue it , because that would mean your medical is the same day as me . 

I heard that if you fail the drug test that they'll call you and let you know? Not being argumentative at all just saying if he/she failed wouldn't they have called him/her or nah?

Edited by Schecter

1 minute ago, Schecter said:

I heard that if you fail the drug test that they'll call you and let you know? Not being argumentative at all just saying if he/she failed wouldn't they have called him/her or nah?

O I definitely don't know about that . But I guess they can call and check what's going on.

4 hours ago, Conductor2015 said:

100% sure. and don't they notify you if you failed anyway? im just gonna give it a week and if i dont hear anything then ill give someone a call.

21 minutes ago, Operator Ace said:

100% sure. and don't they notify you if you failed anyway? im just gonna give it a week and if i dont hear anything then ill give someone a call.

I won’t give it no week I’ll be on the phone first thing Monday lol

On 6/14/2019 at 9:53 PM, MarkGuy said:

signals is 100 but its not as nervewracking as it sounds, per whats been said by others here--you get a chance to save yourself even if you get something wrong on paper, but can explain the signal when asked.

Practicals I don believe are 100, but 80 if I recall what vargas said.. I think youre referring to the final road practical--and I recall being told you get second chances with the practicals. And I have a strong memory, so I believe I can do it.

You get small 20 question quiz's through out school car those are 80% or better if you get below that you get marked and have to talk to a superintendent. Most likely just a talk and review and your back to learning. A second one below 80% they are liable to let you go. Midterm and final is 80% or better or get the boot. You have 2 signal tests one about 1/3 through at the simulator, and one about 2/3 through at the school. First one is 15 multiple choice and 10 write outs. Second one is all write outs. Easier then you think but you do have to know your signals.(A bit of advice, stick you the definitions you are taught, and no matter what anyone tells you stick to that. Don't write more then what your taught cause you could be opening more avenues for them to exploit you). If you get any wrong you are called in to the Managers office where you will have a chance to redeem yourself. So long as you can explain your good. If you can't and they feel you have no clue, you gets the boot. You have 2 yard practicals. 1 for Prep for yard movement, another Prep for service/Brake Pipe Rupture. Those are pass/fail. If you mess up during it and realize the mistake and go back and fix it they will cut you some slack cause you recognized the problem and troubleshooted it. They like it when you can troubleshoot.If you don't and they have time the TSS giving your yard practicals will give you a small tutoring session at the end of the day to help point out what went wrong and prep you for your make up. Yes make up. You will be scheduled to do the practical again if you fail. You will be scheduled at the Superintendents discretion since you will be doing the Yard practical retest with them. You have 1 road practical at the very end. It can be you making anywhere form 7 to as many as 15 station stops depending on how the person giving the practical feels about your station stops. It could be the Manager a superintendent or a TSS giving the road practical. By this time you would have made thousands of stops with different equipment across your entire division A or B. You should be able to hit them all. This one is pass/fail with no second chance if you fail. You stop way to short or you blow out a station your toast. I'm currently 6 months in today was in the 12/16/19 class and started  road posting(training in passenger service) this past Monday. I have come up short some and overshot a foot or so but so long as your in the area you can smooth it out. Hey its only my first week lol. Most  of they yard stuff and signals looks and sounds hard to begin with but once you start doing it repetitively it really does stick.  Hope I helped!

47 minutes ago, LIRRMedford said:

You get small 20 question quiz's through out school car those are 80% or better if you get below that you get marked and have to talk to a superintendent. Most likely just a talk and review and your back to learning. A second one below 80% they are liable to let you go. Midterm and final is 80% or better or get the boot. You have 2 signal tests one about 1/3 through at the simulator, and one about 2/3 through at the school. First one is 15 multiple choice and 10 write outs. Second one is all write outs. Easier then you think but you do have to know your signals.(A bit of advice, stick you the definitions you are taught, and no matter what anyone tells you stick to that. Don't write more then what your taught cause you could be opening more avenues for them to exploit you). If you get any wrong you are called in to the Managers office where you will have a chance to redeem yourself. So long as you can explain your good. If you can't and they feel you have no clue, you gets the boot. You have 2 yard practicals. 1 for Prep for yard movement, another Prep for service/Brake Pipe Rupture. Those are pass/fail. If you mess up during it and realize the mistake and go back and fix it they will cut you some slack cause you recognized the problem and troubleshooted it. They like it when you can troubleshoot.If you don't and they have time the TSS giving your yard practicals will give you a small tutoring session at the end of the day to help point out what went wrong and prep you for your make up. Yes make up. You will be scheduled to do the practical again if you fail. You will be scheduled at the Superintendents discretion since you will be doing the Yard practical retest with them. You have 1 road practical at the very end. It can be you making anywhere form 7 to as many as 15 station stops depending on how the person giving the practical feels about your station stops. It could be the Manager a superintendent or a TSS giving the road practical. By this time you would have made thousands of stops with different equipment across your entire division A or B. You should be able to hit them all. This one is pass/fail with no second chance if you fail. You stop way to short or you blow out a station your toast. I'm currently 6 months in today was in the 12/16/19 class and started  road posting(training in passenger service) this past Monday. I have come up short some and overshot a foot or so but so long as your in the area you can smooth it out. Hey its only my first week lol. Most  of they yard stuff and signals looks and sounds hard to begin with but once you start doing it repetitively it really does stick.  Hope I helped!

You hit it right on the nail! 

The superintendent had mentioned that in the first week it was a pass/fail to climb aboard the train and to lift a 200 lb coupler adapter. I would think it's safe to assume that we get to practice and familiarize ourself beforehand right? Thanks. In the meantime, I am starting to dead lift weights for the time being.

I'm 11XX and been through the piss test twice now. I'm guessing if 10XX have been called up for the July class right now, then I'll be getting to the medical in time for the fall it seems.

Edited by Jericho
Added a word.

8 minutes ago, Jericho said:

The superintendent had mentioned that in the first week it was a pass/fail to climb aboard the train and to lift a 200 lb coupler adapter. I would think it's safe to assume that we get to practice and familiarize ourself beforehand right? Thanks. In the meantime, I am starting to dead lift weights for the time being.

I'm 11XX and been through the piss test twice now. I'm guessing if 10XX have been called up for the July class right now, then I'll be getting to the medical in time for the fall it seems.

Yes and no. They take you to Stillwell yard and have you climb onto a train. If you can't and your in B division they could put you into the A division and have you try in an A division yard. If your in A division and can't climb hey , you wait as well. They say its easier to climb on A division trains. And the coupler we didn't do until about 4 weeks into class. They also show you how to step over rails and walk the tracks.

Edited by LIRRMedford

17 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Wait, a 200lb adapter? We are expected to lift that? How high off the ground? That's a crazy expectation. 

Edited by acabral136

20 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

Lmao shit I'm 35 years old, 200lbs by myself would probably send me to the ER. My football days are 20 years behind me! 

33 years old here. Was semi pro 6 years ago. Lifting it up to the coupler is no joke. And you have to hold it up for a few seconds yourself while your partner bolts it on. Its def a task in itself

1 hour ago, LIRRMedford said:

33 years old here. Was semi pro 6 years ago. Lifting it up to the coupler is no joke. And you have to hold it up for a few seconds yourself while your partner bolts it on. Its def a task in itself

Well maybe time to start deadlifting again 

The coupler adapters are not 200 lbs, more like 50-90 and you'll have a partner to help split the load. Climbing on the train isn't as cutthroat as it seems. Even if you struggle (and I mean really struggle to the point of not being able) to climb onto bigger trains in B div, they're not gonna kick you out because there are tricks you can use. There were 3 girls (around 5'2") in my induction class who were not able to climb and A div was full but they eventually figured out how to do it and now have no problems. Took them 1-2 months to figure it out.

7 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

The coupler adapters are not 200 lbs, more like 50-90 and you'll have a partner to help split the load. Climbing on the train isn't as cutthroat as it seems. Even if you struggle (and I mean really struggle to the point of not being able) to climb onto bigger trains in B div, they're not gonna kick you out because there are tricks you can use. There were 3 girls (around 5'2") in my induction class who were not able to climb and A div was full but they eventually figured out how to do it and now have no problems. Took them 1-2 months to figure it out.

Yeah they had us climb up on the B division trains a lot of short people had problems 

My A div class did ours in CIY on a R68 with the whole induction group, we also got track qualified that day. Then when we got into our smaller group our instructors made us do it again at Moshulu Yard. For some reason climbing the train was more nerve racking for me than the structure walk.

@LIRRMedford our trains are easier to climb from the roadbed, atleast compared to those R68's where the designers just decided to put the grab handles anywhere. And btw you're evil for that last comment. :D

I shouldn't have trouble climbing since I'm 6'3. Sounds like short people problems like when they put your favorite cereal in the top shelf 😄

By the way, I saw my boy who is about to make 5 years as a TO in B division. He told me how he used to do when he was in school car. He says he never hung out at all unless it was with his classmates. They used to go to Barnes n noble together and study for 2 hours and then do a bar for a little while after. That's dedication right there. I hope I got good classmates I could do that with. 

From everything I have read and heard it seems like people that stick together in school car seem to find it easier than those who don't. 

Question for anyone who might have an answer. A year after I took the exam (2018), I got a letter saying I was not eligible for the job due to work experience. About two months ago, I got another letter saying I was put on the list and now eligible. My list number isn’t the best (31XX), but I wonder why they all of a sudden made me eligible, I didn’t appeal their decision so it kind of gave me hope that I might get called? Has this happened to anyone and be honest do I have a chance? Thanks.