Fix & Fortify - 14th Street (L Train) Tunnels Closure

Lance

13 hours ago, RR503 said:

Whitehall had 10 tph (R) turning when Montague was down. Sure, that wasn’t the most efficient of operations, but it worked all the same. With new, well placed high speed switches surrounded by tangent track, 18th should be able to do at least that much. And if you place those switches especially well, you’d be able to keep a (G) waiting to terminate out of the way of s/b (F)s. That’d be quite nice to have, as not only would the fumigation issue at Church be eliminated, but also you’d be all but guaranteed to not have cascading terminal congestion issues at all, given that at least one (G) could ‘hide’ out of the way of (F) traffic. 

A good investment, IMO

Actually the (R) when it was split only ran 8 TPH which whitehall St had trouble turning during rush hours (especially AM) and a couple of those (R)s terminated at Canal St and reversed there using the lower level of City Hall. During the PM, the (R) only used 7-7.5 TPH

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Actually the (R) when it was split only ran 8 TPH which whitehall St had trouble turning during rush hours (especially AM) and a couple of those (R)s terminated at Canal St and reversed there using the lower level of City Hall. During the PM, the (R) only used 7-7.5 TPH

I’m surprised that any trains were terminating at Canal Street. The fumigation process must have delayed trains worse, no?

On 2/23/2018 at 5:19 PM, Around the Horn said:

Just a random thought looking at some of the MTA crowding analysis, how hard would it be to add additional (G) short turns between Bedford-Nostrand and Court Sq, there fore not having to make some (F) trains go express on Culver?

There will be 3 TPH ending at Bedford-Nostrand. Some (F) expresses were part of the plan. I don't know whether that has changed.

21 hours ago, RR503 said:

From the north end of 18th to the south end of Ditmas you have about 1500 feet of straight track to work with. Thus, I see no reason why you couldn’t put a D 25 between the middle and n/b local directly north of the station. That’ll take you 200-300 feet at most, and create a simple yet efficient terminal for the (G) at low cost. You’d obviously remove the now-redundant switch near Ditmas as a part of this. 

Keep in mind they did this at both ends of 74th (those switches are signed for 25) with no ill effects. I see absolutely no reason why it couldn’t be done here. 

And remember, work is being done at Ditmas Interlocking.

Description: Modernize Signal Interlocking at Ditmas Avenue on the Culver Line

Category: Signals & Communications

Element: Signals & Communications

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/15_19/agencies/t/t7080307_project_narrative.htm

This project will modernize and improve the reliability of the Dit mas Avenue interlocking on the IND Culver Line in the borough of Brooklyn. Work will include replacement with a new conventional relay-based interlocking and the construction of new relay rooms to house all associated equipment. Some schedule dates are not available, due to project being under development.

On 2/24/2018 at 9:50 AM, CenSin said:

The switches will fit (not arguing that), but is there enough of a buffer zone for a pocket track to be viable? Knowing the MTA to be safety-crazed, would they allow another train to be so close to the switch while another crosses up ahead?

We allow it at most terminals (WTC (E) comes to mind) so why not here? Maybe they'd put a GT to make themselves feel better, but still, it'd make for a useful asset. 

23 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Thanks for the correction. That said, Whitehall is D 10 entering IIRC, and has that ugly curve/hill combo south of Whitehall. 18th would be D 20 inbound, with straight track on both sides, and D 25 outbound, with straight track. That'd allow trains to clear a lot faster, increasing terminal throughput. 

And once again, why can't the MTA just have T/Os wait to take trains back out? That'd vastly increase capacity at all terminals. 

2 hours ago, Vtrain said:

I hope that the Brooklyn F train express plan is still on with the added G train service (if some don't terminate at Bedford/Nostrand Av)

15 TPH will run on the (G).

3 of those will end at Bedford Nostrand.

12 TPH will turn on the Culver Line.

12 TPH is way too much to fumigate while maintaining 14 (F) trains per hour (and no matter what you do, 18 Av isn't going to turn all 12 of them).

Therefore, logically they will run at least some (F) trains via upper Culver express. Or split the (G) between two or three Culver terminals, although that could result in uneven headways.

27 minutes ago, P3F said:

15 TPH will run on the (G).

3 of those will end at Bedford Nostrand.

12 TPH will turn on the Culver Line.

12 TPH is way too much to fumigate while maintaining 14 (F) trains per hour (and no matter what you do, 18 Av isn't going to turn all 12 of them).

Therefore, logically they will run at least some (F) trains via upper Culver express. Or split the (G) between two or three Culver terminals, although that could result in uneven headways.

If you added 20 mph switches at Kings Highway and 18th, could you terminate trains there?

19 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

If you added 20 mph switches at Kings Highway and 18th, could you terminate trains there?

6 TPH to 18 Av & 6 TPH to Kings Highway? Scheduling would be uber weird, but it could work. 

I would take the (G) a lot more if they do that... Transferring from a (G) to an (F) at Church Av with the current setup is an experience that makes me wonder why I even put up with Culver and its BS in the first place.

8 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

You have to wonder if they are going to sue to demand the MTA keep the (L) running between 1st and 8th Avenue, 

They can certainly try. Doesn’t mean a judge is going to side with them. All the MTA’s legal eagles have to do is show the judge the track maps for the (L) line. Then he/she will see exactly how impossible it would be to maintain the few (L) shuttles, plus repair both Canarsie tubes at the same time with no storage yard on the Manhattan side. 

Of course, you all know what would really make this a non-issue? If we already had an (L) extension to Secaucus with a yard on the Jersey side of the Hudson 😂 

(Sorry, I just couldn’t resist throwing that in here...)

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

4 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

They can certainly try. Doesn’t mean a judge is going to side with them. All the MTA’s legal eagles have to do is show the judge the track maps for the (L) line. Then he/she will see exactly how impossible it would be to maintain the few (L) shuttles, plus repair both Canarsie tubes at the same time with no storage yard on the Manhattan side. 

Of course, you all know what would really make this a non-issue? If we already had an (L) extension to Secaucus with a yard on the Jersey side of the Hudson 😂 

(Sorry, I just couldn’t resist throwing that in here...)

The judge will order the MTA to create a yard and to build it right under NIMBY property.

7 hours ago, Vtrain said:

Will the G train use the R179 that were supposed to go to the C line?

Too early to tell. Coney Island crew would have to be trained. I would not be surprised if East New York sent Coney Island their R160A-1’s for the (G) 

4 hours ago, VIP said:

Too early to tell. Coney Island crew would have to be trained. I would not be surprised if East New York sent Coney Island their R160A-1’s for the (G) 

Trained? 

Rumor has it the R179 training is a TSS rides along and says "looks good" and then you do the other half solo hoping for the best. lol:lol:

7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

At least in the PM rush, its dead space that takes up room from people flowing in both directions

Another reason I have an OOS transfer between Fulton on the (G) and Atlantic-Barclays on the (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(D)(N)(Q)(R) 

I would be wanting to have as many people as possible go the other way on the (G) as I still think Court Square is going to be a disaster.

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

Another reason I have an OOS transfer between Fulton on the (G) and Atlantic-Barclays on the (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(D)(N)(Q)(R) 

I would be wanting to have as many people as possible go the other way on the (G) as I still think Court Square is going to be a disaster.

I've been doing that particular transfer myself recently with my 30 day, and my goodness its so easy... Literally one short block then around the corner one long block from Fulton (G) to the Hanson Place entrance on the (B)(Q)

It sounds like it’s way easier than the OOS transfer between the (F)(Q) at Lexington/63rd and the (N)(R)(W)(4)(5)(6) at Lexington/59th. It certainly looks like it is. Maybe they should implement that as a MetroCard transfer. If it ends up being popular enough, then they should look into some sort of full transfer from the (G) at Fulton to the Atlantic-Barclays complex for the long term. It looks like a relatively short transfer from the (G) to the (B)(Q). The other lines at Atlantic-Barclays may be a different story, however. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

31 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

It sounds like it’s way easier than the OOS transfer between the (F)(Q) at Lexington/63rd and the (N)(R)(W)(4)(5)(6) at Lexington/59th. It certainly looks like it is. Maybe they should implement that as a MetroCard transfer. If it ends up being popular enough, then they should look into some sort of full transfer from the (G) at Fulton to the Atlantic-Barclays complex for the long term. It looks like a relatively short transfer from the (G) to the (B)(Q). The other lines at Atlantic-Barclays may be a different story, however. 

I've done both walks, and personally I think the Lexington one is definitely shorter/easier.