Fix & Fortify - 14th Street (L Train) Tunnels Closure

Lance

19 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

There is one problem with the (A) and (C) both being express all the way through in Manhattan: Neither would stop at 50th Street, a local-only station.  There are a lot of people specifically looking for 50th/8th who either have to go to 42nd and take the (E) back up OR have to take the (B) or (D) to 7th Avenue for the (E)

Boo hoo. Get off at 50th/Bway instead.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-hit-suit-train-shutdown-west-side-residents-article-1.3912813

Apparently West Siders aren't too happy about the notion to shut down 14th Street and are complaining that it'd destroy "the fabric of their neighborhood"...

On an separate note, someone at my school wrote an article about the Canarsie shutdown for the school newspaper and the general idea I got from it was that people are really only worried about getting around the city while the line is shut down (not exactly a surprise tbh).

20 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

"the fabric of their neighborhood"...

Aw.... Do they need a safe space from all this terrifying change?

This rank selfishness and elitism and makes me want to puke. The world doesn't end at the end of their block. There are much, much larger things at stake here than the 'fabric' of their bloody neighborhoods. 

If they wanted time to stop when they moved into their house, they should have gone to the suburbs. Cities are dynamic. Get with it, or get out. 

Edited by RR503

Can't have those ugly buses and annoying bikes running down 14th Street and other nearby roads, can we? That would create so much of a disruption to people's livelihoods, you know. Those pesky (L) line riders will just have to endure and hope a reverse Sandy occurs that will fix the tunnel problems. Such a pity.

In all seriousness, I see they filed this suit under the guise of the MTA's lackadaisical approach to ADA access, which is more harmful than not. Accessibility is a real problem in this city and the MTA is barely doing anything about it. However, these frivolous lawsuits that more often than not have little to do with forcing the MTA to rectify the accessibility problem and are rather just another way to get paid, are not helpful in the slightest.

As for your friend's report, that's not surprising. This is going to be a massive undertaking with a wide-ranging impact for a lot of riders even beyond the (L) line.

The thing thats an issue with a city that is dense is that everyone want to go to the same place, time, and way. Everyone complains about subway service but the L train needs this repair for its own good. Its a vital part for many commuters and just because they're blocking off a street only to buses won't do any harm. You would only have to deal with it for little over a year. 

7 hours ago, Lance said:

Can't have those ugly buses and annoying bikes running down 14th Street and other nearby roads, can we? That would create so much of a disruption to people's livelihoods, you know. Those pesky (L) line riders will just have to endure and hope a reverse Sandy occurs that will fix the tunnel problems. Such a pity.

In all seriousness, I see they filed this suit under the guise of the MTA's lackadaisical approach to ADA access, which is more harmful than not. Accessibility is a real problem in this city and the MTA is barely doing anything about it. However, these frivolous lawsuits that more often than not have little to do with forcing the MTA to rectify the accessibility problem and are rather just another way to get paid, are not helpful in the slightest.

As for your friend's report, that's not surprising. This is going to be a massive undertaking with a wide-ranging impact for a lot of riders even beyond the (L) line.

But here is the thing, the system wasn't designed for ADA access back then. All of these stations that people are advocating to become ADA accessible are prob the hardest to do, like any station along CPW or Smith 9th.

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

But here is the thing, the system wasn't designed for ADA access back then. All of these stations that people are advocating to become ADA accessible are prob the hardest to do, like any station along CPW or Smith 9th.

Most of the world's subway systems were not designed to be fully accessible. And yet, most of the world's subway systems have outpaced New York when it comes to accessibility. If anything, New York has an advantage because our stations are larger, straighter, and less deep than those of other old metro systems (London, for example).

To be fair though, Queensway’s people aren’t filing a lawsuit against turning Woodhaven Blvd into a busway, unlike these self-centered little pricks, who clearly don’t care about commuters in the rest of the city. I hope this extremely frivolous lawsuit gets thrown out, and fast!

29 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

To be fair though, Queensway’s people aren’t filing a lawsuit against turning Woodhaven Blvd into a busway, unlike these self-centered little pricks, who clearly don’t care about commuters in the rest of the city. I hope this extremely frivolous lawsuit gets thrown out, and fast!

Exactly!

What they are worried about is stuff I brought up initially in looking at having the (L) run from 1st-8th Avenue only, as I would have done it with eight sets of four-car trains with a maximim of three sets running at any one time, single-tracked east of Union Square with the portion between 1st and 3rd Avenue used for storing trains (on ONE of the tracks between 1st and 3rd) not in service, opening up one of the tunnels and using a diesel every 6-8 weeks to swap out sets of trains.  Their main concern is not just the cyclists, but also motorists, especially those coming from New Jersey (that in many cases can't or refuse to use NJ Transit, PATH, etc.) clogging up the streets near 14th if 14th were restricted to buses. 

Edited by Wallyhorse

Still heard you the first time. There's no way to service the cars under such a proposal. Even if you assume they use diesels to transport the cars back to East New York, that assumes tunnel access will be available at all times, which simply will not be the case. It's even mentioned in the MTA's planning materials for the renovations of 1 Avenue and the RFP for PSDs at 3 Avenue that all materials will have to brought in through the relevant stations from street level as there will be no rail access for transportation. It is not a remote possibility that something will happen on a train where it needs to be serviced in a timely fashion and not whenever a diesel can drag it across the river and that is why your oft-mentioned proposal was never considered. And before anyone mentions it, no they cannot build a temporary yard on the platforms at one of the stations. There's no room.

So ReThinkNYC is proposing to extend (E) trains to Hoyt on the (A)(C)(G) , then make them turn up onto the (G) using a new switch that they want built, to terminate at Court Square. 

So basically we have (E) trains going from Jamaica to 8 ave, to Crosstown Line, and ending back in Queens. Essentially an inefficient loop.

The goal of the proposal is for people in Canarsie and Greenpoint to have a 2 seat ride into the sacred Midtown.

I don't really know why, (G) trains are frequent, so they would have to lengthen, but unfrequentzitize (???) the (G) train. Eh......

1 hour ago, thicctrain said:

So ReThinkNYC is proposing to extend (E) trains to Hoyt on the (A)(C)(G) , then make them turn up onto the (G) using a new switch that they want built, to terminate at Court Square. 

So basically we have (E) trains going from Jamaica to 8 ave, to Crosstown Line, and ending back in Queens. Essentially an inefficient loop.

The goal of the proposal is for people in Canarsie and Greenpoint to have a 2 seat ride into the sacred Midtown.

I don't really know why, (G) trains are frequent, so they would have to lengthen, but unfrequentzitize (???) the (G) train. Eh......

ReThink proposed that a while back, like nearly a year ago. Go back further in this thread (or there may even be a separate thread specifically about this proposal) to see why it wouldn’t be practical.

2 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Exactly!

What they are worried about is stuff I brought up initially in looking at having the (L) run from 1st-8th Avenue only, as I would have done it with eight sets of four-car trains with a maximim of three sets running at any one time, single-tracked east of Union Square with the portion between 1st and 3rd Avenue used for storing trains (on ONE of the tracks between 1st and 3rd) not in service, opening up one of the tunnels and using a diesel every 6-8 weeks to swap out sets of trains.  Their main concern is not just the cyclists, but also motorists, especially those coming from New Jersey (that in many cases can't or refuse to use NJ Transit, PATH, etc.) clogging up the streets near 14th if 14th were restricted to buses. 

Ah yes, those self-centered Village snobs also want to blame beleaguered Jersey commuters who have precious few non-auto options for getting into the city as it is. Maybe those snobs ought to be suing Chris Christie. I mean, he kind of played a huge part in why trains between Jersey and Manhattan are bursting at the seems, while stuck with the same exact infrastructure we had we had back when the city was losing population and housing in Jersey was cheap and easy to find. 

Those (L) to Jersey” proposals that have come up on here and other forums suddenly don’t sound too bad after all, especially with space for a yard on the Jersey side. Oh well...it’s too late for that now.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

54 minutes ago, thicctrain said:

it's not feasible. 

3 hours ago, thicctrain said:

What part of the (A)(C) and the (G) are on two different inclines do they not get?

26 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

What part of the (A)(C) and the (G) are on two different inclines do they not get?

The part where they consider shortening platforms to accommodate those trains lmao. 

Most importantly, Cranberry only has about 3tph capacity nb during the AM rush. Will a 3tph service when people want to travel actually be that helpful? And seriously, is transferring *that* hard?