MaBSTOA B/O Exam # 7105

Shinabee65

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, R170 said:

What list number are they up to?

There is no particular list number that they are up to. They are pretty much just calling people for their pre-employment.  Maybe for thr medical is where they might be with the list number. I'm list 11** and had I was ready I would have probably would have been in the batch of class that start last Monday.

So I'm headed to days 8 and 9 this week. I've improved a lot, since day 1. Done much better with spotting hazards and setting up my turns better.But its like when I improve in one area, another area with issues comes up (i.e., sometimes forgetting to cover the right).

But honestly, it's incredibly unrealistic for transit to expect guys and gals who've never driven such a large vehicle to have expert proficiency driving it in basically only five days. Still, I've been giving 110 percent, even though my former supt wasn't the most supportive (I know they tend to be that way), and learned to block out his harsh words while driving. Going to fight like Hell to pass on Friday!

33 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

So I'm headed to days 8 and 9 this week. I've improved a lot, since day 1. Done much better with spotting hazards and setting up my turns better.But its like when I improve in one area, another area with issues comes up (i.e., sometimes forgetting to cover the right).

But honestly, it's incredibly unrealistic for transit to expect guys and gals who've never driven such a large vehicle to have expert proficiency driving it in basically only five days. Still, I've been giving 110 percent, even though my former supt wasn't the most supportive (I know they tend to be that way), and learned to block out his harsh words while driving. Going to fight like Hell to pass on Friday!

I will say a prayer for you. You deserve it all. Put God infront and let hit direct your path.

8 minutes ago, Shinabee65 said:

hi guys, my blood pressure is back to normal, by using a blend of beets, banana and protein powder, tomorrow I will be heading to Livingston for my pre-employment process. thanks. beets is really good.

Drank one today. Will check mine later.

3 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

I qualified yesterday day 6 and today day 7 thank God. Tomorrow we will be at Jamaica learning the other buses.

My supt was hard as hell on us. These last two weeks felt like we were at a boot camp. Try making a hook turn into a tight right street in Manhattan with cars flying by your left side and the supt just yelling in your ear. Think I might be going alittle deaf in my right ear from getting yelled at so much. Me and my classmates lol

But at the end of the day I'm greatful for her being the way she was. Sometimes getting yelled at helps us not forget the mistakes we made. Also they are putting their names on the line when they pass us. God forbid one of us gets into a crazy accident. They going to be looking for the person that passed us.

On another note, it's not over yet don't get discouraged. Everything she put on that paper, look at it and the next day correct it, clean it up and don't make those mistakes again. You have to build on it. They give us all the pieces of the puzzle, we just have to put it together.

Day 5 in Manhattan I hit a curb because I failed to hook it and let it get me down. Almost ran a red light because I  was to focused on getting  passed a car, Felt like it was over. But then day 6 rolled around and I knocked it out along with 7. And trust me, my observations skills were really bad starting off. Your not the only one that struggled with that. But you learn to get better at it.

My best advice is:
-Listen to everything your instructor tells you.
-Forward plan
-Cover that right, if your coming up on a red light and you see a bus stop on the right side thats empty, pull into the bus stop. The Bus stop is your home. If you see an open space just move the bus over so no one gets on your right.
-4 feet clearance always
-Mirrors are your best friends
-For the turns, before you execute a turn, look at the turn and make the turn in your head before you make the turn(sounds crazy i know, but this is what helped me)
-Setup your reference points correctly
-Don't run no yellow lights.
To get the lights right everytime, what I do is. I watch the light plus scan the little white guy or orange hand. As soon as you see the orange hand blinking start slowing down and just let go off the gas, don't chance it.
-There would be times I would stop before the cross walk while the light was still green with like 7-9 seconds still on the clock just to be safe. Orange hand is a life saver

When your driving that bus get the big picture, never focus only on one thing, keep your eyes rolling, move in that seat and watch everything like a hawk.

Believe in yourself. And do the best you can. Stay focused and you will do just fine.

5 minutes ago, Shinabee65 said:

hi guys, my blood pressure is back to normal, by using a blend of beets, banana and protein powder, tomorrow I will be heading to Livingston for my pre-employment process. thanks. beets is really good.

Telling you guys that beet is awesome. I had told some of my friends from my previous job about it. Now they all on it lol

1 hour ago, Mr NewFlyer said:

I qualified yesterday day 6 and today day 7 thank God. Tomorrow we will be at Jamaica learning the other buses.

My supt was hard as hell on us. These last two weeks felt like we were at a boot camp. Try making a hook turn into a tight right street in Manhattan with cars flying by your left side and the supt just yelling in your ear. Think I might be going alittle deaf in my right ear from getting yelled at so much. Me and my classmates lol

But at the end of the day I'm greatful for her being the way she was. Sometimes getting yelled at helps us not forget the mistakes we made. Also they are putting their names on the line when they pass us. God forbid one of us gets into a crazy accident. They going to be looking for the person that passed us.

On another note, it's not over yet don't get discouraged. Everything she put on that paper, look at it and the next day correct it, clean it up and don't make those mistakes again. You have to build on it. They give us all the pieces of the puzzle, we just have to put it together.

Day 5 in Manhattan I hit a curb because I failed to hook it and let it get me down. Almost ran a red light because I  was to focused on getting  passed a car, Felt like it was over. But then day 6 rolled around and I knocked it out along with 7. And trust me, my observations skills were really bad starting off. Your not the only one that struggled with that. But you learn to get better at it.

My best advice is:
-Forward plan
-Cover that right, if your coming up on a red light and you see a bus stop on the right side thats empty, pull into the bus stop. The Bus stop is your home. If you see an open space just move the bus over so no one gets on your right.
-4 feet clearance always
-For the turns, before you execute a turn, look at the turn and make the turn in your head before you make the turn(sounds crazy i know, but this is what helped me)
To get the lights right everytime, what I do is. I watch the light plus scan the little white guy or orange hand. As soon as you see the orange hand blinking start slowing down and just let go off the gas, don't chance it.
-There would be times I would stop before the cross walk while the light was still green with like 7-9 seconds still on the clock just to be safe. Orange hand is a life saver

When your driving that bus get the big picture, never focus only on one thing, keep your eyes rolling, move in that seat and watch everything like a hawk.

Believe in yourself. And do the best you can. Stay focused and you will do just fine.

Telling you guys that beet is awesome. I had told some of my friends from my previous job about it. Now they all on it lol

Wow....will get some tomorrow. 

Ripe bananas (not too ripe cuz sugar), cinnamon, avocado, coconut water/jelly the actual nut but since we in NYC I guess vita coco will do😏, magnesium citrate supplements, exercise, water, cut back on the salts/sodium. Oh, any tea that calms you, passion fruit, valerian root, kava (not too much cuz it will mess your liver up) :(

I don't think any potassium supplements are on the market because those will knock your heart out , aka immediate death 😮 

magnesium and coconut water and the bananas gives immediate effect. Also I am assuming while waiting in line take deep breath and deep breath while recording your BP.

1 hour ago, Mr NewFlyer said:

My best advice is:
-Forward plan
-4 feet clearance always

Sweet. Congrats 👍🏽. Who was your Supt?

4 hours ago, misslo said:

Ripe bananas (not too ripe cuz sugar), cinnamon, avocado, coconut water/jelly the actual nut but since we in NYC I guess vita coco will do😏, magnesium citrate supplements, exercise, water, cut back on the salts/sodium. Oh, any tea that calms you, passion fruit, valerian root, kava (not too much cuz it will mess your liver up) :(

I don't think any potassium supplements are on the market because those will knock your heart out , aka immediate death 😮 

magnesium and coconut water and the bananas gives immediate effect. Also I am assuming while waiting in line take deep breath and deep breath while recording your BP.

I'm smiling because it's crazy how many people are having high blood pressure issues.  Thanks 

3 hours ago, sisslims29 said:

I'm smiling because it's crazy how many people are having high blood pressure issues.  Thanks 

I know right?  Damn!  Well, I'm glad you guys can give some advice on lowering it. I'm taking the Indian herb ashwangandha to help it remain stable during stressful situations. My doctor could take a reading and say it's normal, then I could go to livingston st and the doc could say it's high because I'm nervous!  I will start consuming the beet root juice to make sure...

On 10/10/2018 at 9:17 PM, Mr NewFlyer said:

My best advice is:
-Forward plan
-4 feet clearance always

Thank you. I was actually well on my way to qualifying on Day 10. Then I came to a right turn onto a highway road from a main road, with a service road to my right in the BX. I thought to hook it, but traffic was heavy, and I noticed my instructor reaching for the trolley. So I made a worse decision and pulled the bus forward (though it was hugging the curb), and worked on clearing the pivot, Unfortunately, the front of the bus was too close to the pole, and that was it.

I'm messed up about failing. Especially since I finally conquered my nerves for the most part and drove most of the course with little to no issues. I gave this over 100 percent from the beginning, and the end of the route was so close. If I'd done that turn, I would've qualified, no doubt. But I failed to execute when it was needed. I appreciate your advice--and that of others here--regardless, and good luck on your bus op career in transit! 

Meanwhile, I'll just wait for the recent T/O exam to give me a call. 

Hello, on October 9th I went in for the urine test. Question: I'm currently taking a college class that ends around the end of December this year, I'm afraid the MTA might call me to start training before my college class ends...what are the chances of that happening?

It would be frustrating to do all that school work and then cut it short of completion. 

1 hour ago, Racneb said:

Hello, on October 9th I went in for the urine test. Question: I'm currently taking a college class that ends around the end of December this year, I'm afraid the MTA might call me to start training before my college class ends...what are the chances of that happening?

It would be frustrating to do all that school work and then cut it short of completion. 

Maybe it depends on your list number if MTA is calling base on people's listed number. I know the next class starts 10/29. However,  if they call you, you will have to opt out 10 days from classes. Maybe you can speak to your professor(s) maybe you can submit your assignment(s) online or via emails to them and hopefully still be consider being in class(es). Or you will have to forfeit college credits or MTA training. Either or.

4 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Thank you. I was actually well on my way to qualifying on Day 10. Then I came to a right turn onto a highway road from a main road, with a service road to my right in the BX. I thought to hook it, but traffic was heavy, and I noticed my instructor reaching for the trolley. So I made a worse decision and pulled the bus forward (though it was hugging the curb), and worked on clearing the pivot, Unfortunately, the front of the bus was too close to the pole, and that was it.

I'm messed up about failing. Especially since I finally conquered my nerves for the most part and drove most of the course with little to no issues. I gave this over 100 percent from the beginning, and the end of the route was so close. If I'd done that turn, I would've qualified, no doubt. But I failed to execute when it was needed. I appreciate your advice--and that of others here--regardless, and good luck on your bus op career in transit! 

Meanwhile, I'll just wait for the recent T/O exam to give me a call. 

This hurts. So sorry to hear. Omg!!! But I read where if you dont passed you will have to sit out 5 years before. Not sure if it is true.

11 minutes ago, sisslims29 said:

This hurts. So sorry to hear. Omg!!! But I read where if you don't passed you will have to sit out 5 years before. Not sure if it is true.

That's correct...I personally failed in February of 2014 and I can't try again until February of 2019 the earliest.

Edited by +Young+