OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

MTA says around early 2021 they will be for sale at retail locations, later that year new vendinf machines will start to be rolled out

Another year of not being able to top up my fare unless I go to the ferry or a subway station.

How’d (MTA) end up being so far behind the technological curve? Even small systems that hope to get 3 million riders a year have online fare purchasing.

12 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Another year of not being able to top up my fare unless I go to the ferry or a subway station.

How’d (MTA) end up being so far behind the technological curve? Even small systems that hope to get 3 million riders a year have online fare purchasing.

I discussed OMNY with the (MTA) when I started my advocacy group. The plan has always been to roll out everything in stages, in part to ensure that the new system is reliable and secure. They didn't have anything really set in stone because of the aforementioned concerns. I think as they see how the system responds and holds up to daily usage, then they can focus on the other details

15 minutes ago, Deucey said:

You never heard of EZ-Pay Express?

Just now, Kamen Rider said:

Many people have heard of it, but that does not work for everyone. It comes with certain caveats.  There is no option for express bus riders that use a pass for starters, and I also don't like that it automatically refills. I refill my pass when I ready to because I want control over that.  If for some reason your card can't be refilled using the credit or debit card on file, it will block your Metrocard from being used, even if there's enough on the Metrocard to cover your fares, which is absurd. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Many people have heard of it, but that does not work for everyone. It comes with certain caveats.  There is no option for express bus riders that use a pass for starters, and I also don't like that it automatically refills. I refill my pass when I ready to because I want control over that.  If for some reason your card can't be refilled using the credit or debit card on file, it will block your Metrocard from being used, even if there's enough on the Metrocard to cover your fares, which is absurd. 

I am in agreement with you as I do not use a credit card to add money to my metro card as i prefer to pay in cash. My credit cards are for purchases of items that I want to purchase and where I can pay it off as soon as the bill arrives, not for a subway or bus ride.

Pardon me, but I am old fashioned when it comes using technology and with the exception of the Metro Card which produced a trememdous cost saving for me when I was working (the total cost of going from where I live to where I work was $1.75 each way. and I rode 5-6 different lines),I am one of the skeptics.

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

Yup. Doesn’t let me do pay per ride or buy weekly.

My WMATA and London Oystercards do. Sacramento RT has let me buy daily passes online for years. BART let me put fare on via internet for at least 10 years. 

(MTA) made me mail my MetroCard in when it failed and didn’t tell me they issued a prorated refund for my monthly - they just did it. No email, no call, no website to check status. Just a letter 10 days after they issued the refund.

You think I’m gonna let them automatically charge me? Nah, fam.

59 minutes ago, Interested Rider said:

I am in agreement with you as I do not use a credit card to add money to my metro card as i prefer to pay in cash. My credit cards are for purchases of items that I want to purchase and where I can pay it off as soon as the bill arrives, not for a subway or bus ride.

Pardon me, but I am old fashioned when it comes using technology and with the exception of the Metro Card which produced a trememdous cost saving for me when I was working (the total cost of going from where I live to where I work was $1.75 each way. and I rode 5-6 different lines),I am one of the skeptics.

I always use a credit card for my Metrocard purchases just to cover myself. Easier to get a refund. With cash, if the card is lost you are SOL.

The specifics on the IRT is... everything north of Atlantic Avenue. Dyre, Lennox and Clark.

After this month, the only stations in the Bronx without it will be the Concourse Line.

they also noted OMNY will not be ready for  the Manhattan SBS routes until next month.

Edited by Kamen Rider

22 hours ago, Deucey said:

Conservatism, to the extreme.

The (MTA) at its founding was pretty forward-looking. But a couple of events scarred them;

• bungling new technology R44s and R46s (one or the other, don't remember which)
  • automation of the GCT shuttle system ending in a fire
  • the tortured history of installing air conditioning on trains

Keep in mind that when Cubic got the contract to develop the Metrocard, they had also offered a first-gen RFID smartcard; the first one of those came out in 1997 on Hong Kong's MTR. 

10 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

There are some pics on Facebook of at least two dyre line stations with OMNY installed, one of which is already online.

Makes sense considering the head start they got last week.

I'd imagine at least two of the four lines going to Stillwell Avenue should have it by April as Easter is the first big day for the amusement area.

At the very least, Stillwell itself.

This expansion has been well planned and pretty well executed so far.

37 minutes ago, LTA1992 said:

Makes sense considering the head start they got last week.

I'd imagine at least two of the four lines going to Stillwell Avenue should have it by April as Easter is the first big day for the amusement area.

At the very least, Stillwell itself.

This expansion has been well planned and pretty well executed so far.

Honestly, Stillwell Ave. should of had it when 86th Street was done earlier in the year. If it’s not in by Easter. Definitely for Memorial Day weekend. 

On 3/2/2020 at 10:02 AM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

March subway rollouts are as follows

(5) Dyre Branch 

(2)(3)in Harlem, lower Manhattan, parts of Downtown Brooklyn (not station specific in the press release)

(A)(C) Hoyt-Euclid

(7) Flushing Main St and Mets Willets Point

Wow. 2 more Downtown Brooklyn stations. Those should of been during the initial rollout. However, better late than never. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Wow. 2 more Downtown Brooklyn stations. Those should of been during the initial rollout. However, better late than never. 

Those are also the two stations that don't connect to Lexington Avenue (one because of the switch removal, the other because its location makes any connection of the sort impractical, to say the least).

OMNY installation list:

Active sections with OMNY:

South Ferry to 96 Street (1)(2)(3)

103 Street to 242 St-Van Cortlandt Park (1)

Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center to 125 Street (4)(5)(6)

138 Street-Grand Concourse to Woodlawn (4)

3 Av-149 St to Wakefield-241 Street (2)(5)

3 Av-138 St to Pelham Bay Park (6)

34 Street-Hudson Yards (7)

Jay Street-MetroTech to 59 Street-Columbus Circle (A)(C)(E)

West 4 Street to 47-50 Streets Rockefeller Center (B)(D)(F)(M)

7 Avenue (B)(D)(E)

59 Street-Columbus Circle to 145 Street (A)(B)(C)(D)

155 Street to Inwood-207 Street (A)(C) 

Cortlandt Street (R (W)

86 Street (R 

Sutphin Blvd-Archer Avenue-JFK (E)(J)(Z)

St George Ferry, Tompkinsville SIR

Stations with the protruding base installed:

125 Street, 135 Street (2)(3), 233 Street (2)(5)

Stations with OMNY readers installed on the bases:

Central Park North-110 Street, 116 Street (2)(3)

Vernon Blvd-Jackson Avenue, Hunters Point Av, Court Square (7)

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don’t see what the rush is. The goal with OMNY is to ensure that is reliable and secure, and they will continue to roll it out in stages with that criteria in mind. People can still use Metrocards for the time being.

Because I am sick and tired of metrocard. The past 2 months alone the machines ate my metrocards and doing a claim and all that nonsense is a major headache.

I want to be able to tap and go. That's it.

7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Because I am sick and tired of metrocard. The past 2 months alone the machines ate my metrocards and doing a claim and all that nonsense is a major headache.

I want to be able to tap and go. That's it.

OMNY comes with its own problems. You will still have to go through a claims process if you are double charged, etc.