Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Lawrence St

OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

I think OMNY works as one big system, so on May 31st when the system goes online in Staten Island it will also go online for Manhattan with the hardware already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I think OMNY works as one big system, so on May 31st when the system goes online in Staten Island it will also go online for Manhattan with the hardware already.

And who told you that lie? It will only be available at SELECT subway stations on the (4)(5)(6) line and on Staten Island on buses.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

And who told you that lie? It will only be available at SELECT subway stations on the (4)(5)(6) line and on Staten Island on buses.

I'm pretty sure that was just conjecture based on the fact that some of the buses currently equipped with OMNY readers are being moved off that rock. (Considering which buses are being shifted, don't expect the ones already off to go back. Anyway, this is beginning to shift to buses, so I'll leave it at that.)

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

And who told you that lie? It will only be available at SELECT subway stations on the (4)(5)(6) line and on Staten Island on buses.

Re-read what I said. The former YUKON buses that are in Manhattan right now, based on my opinion, will become activated when Staten Island goes online, since they share the same network.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Re-read what I said. The former YUKON buses that are in Manhattan right now, based on my opinion, will become activated when Staten Island goes online, since they share the same network.

Seems like a lot of speculation... Hell the (MTA) doesn’t even know what it’s doing. This is all trial-and-error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Seems like a lot of speculation... Hell the (MTA) doesn’t even know what it’s doing. This is all trial-and-error.

Yeah... Yukon's Next Gen Hybrids that are moving to Manhattan and Brooklyn right now are being transferred out with the OMNY readers too...

Edited by WestFarms36
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Will this be a tap on/ off deal or no

No. It will work exactly like a single-ride Metrocard. You just tap your phone (or smartwatch, or contactless credit/debit card) instead of swiping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would NYC Ferry consider implementing OMNY in the future so people can have free transfers between the ferry and the subway/bus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Would NYC Ferry consider implementing OMNY in the future so people can have free transfers between the ferry and the subway/bus?

*looks at cost of subsidization*

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Would NYC Ferry consider implementing OMNY in the future so people can have free transfers between the ferry and the subway/bus?

I wouldn't expect a free transfer but would like the system implemented there as well so we can connect to it with just one app, making it OMNY.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was spotted at the Fulton/Nassau entrance to the J/Z yesterday, and posted on r/nyc. Looks like they're beginning to enable them before May 31!D11HAEn.jpg

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Enjineer said:

This was spotted at the Fulton/Nassau entrance to the J/Z yesterday, and posted on r/nyc. Looks like they're beginning to enable them before May 31!D11HAEn.jpg

Sounds about right...

They've been switched to "Metrocard only" mode today which means the backend is enabled but the smart card function has been disabled until Friday

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Sounds about right...

They've been switched to "Metrocard only" mode today which means the backend is enabled but the smart card function has been disabled until Friday

Yep every OMNY reader is set to Metrocard only atm.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Does anyone know if the x27/28 have the readers yet?

Why would it?  Been said several times that the plan is being rolled out ONLY on Staten Island and select subway stations on the (4)(5)(6) and in select subway stations in Brooklyn, and then be expanded in stages.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2019 at 11:12 PM, Lil 57 said:

Would NYC Ferry consider implementing OMNY in the future so people can have free transfers between the ferry and the subway/bus?

Please... The cost to subsidize the ferry is already astronomical as it is.  Too expensive...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Please... The cost to subsidize the ferry is already astronomical as it is.  Too expensive...

Maybe not to transfer but it would be nice to streamline the payment system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Maybe not to transfer but it would be nice to streamline the payment system. 

Both cost money... Implementing OMNY is not going to be cheap but is needed... It will save the (MTA) money in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.