OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I think OMNY works as one big system, so on May 31st when the system goes online in Staten Island it will also go online for Manhattan with the hardware already.

And who told you that lie? It will only be available at SELECT subway stations on the (4)(5)(6) line and on Staten Island on buses.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

And who told you that lie? It will only be available at SELECT subway stations on the (4)(5)(6) line and on Staten Island on buses.

I'm pretty sure that was just conjecture based on the fact that some of the buses currently equipped with OMNY readers are being moved off that rock. (Considering which buses are being shifted, don't expect the ones already off to go back. Anyway, this is beginning to shift to buses, so I'll leave it at that.)

Re-read what I said. The former YUKON buses that are in Manhattan right now, based on my opinion, will become activated when Staten Island goes online, since they share the same network.

24 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Re-read what I said. The former YUKON buses that are in Manhattan right now, based on my opinion, will become activated when Staten Island goes online, since they share the same network.

Seems like a lot of speculation... Hell the (MTA) doesn’t even know what it’s doing. This is all trial-and-error.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Seems like a lot of speculation... Hell the (MTA) doesn’t even know what it’s doing. This is all trial-and-error.

Yeah... Yukon's Next Gen Hybrids that are moving to Manhattan and Brooklyn right now are being transferred out with the OMNY readers too...

Edited by WestFarms36

2 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Will this be a tap on/ off deal or no

No. It will work exactly like a single-ride Metrocard. You just tap your phone (or smartwatch, or contactless credit/debit card) instead of swiping. 

4 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Would NYC Ferry consider implementing OMNY in the future so people can have free transfers between the ferry and the subway/bus?

I wouldn't expect a free transfer but would like the system implemented there as well so we can connect to it with just one app, making it OMNY.

4 hours ago, Enjineer said:

This was spotted at the Fulton/Nassau entrance to the J/Z yesterday, and posted on r/nyc. Looks like they're beginning to enable them before May 31!D11HAEn.jpg

Sounds about right...

They've been switched to "Metrocard only" mode today which means the backend is enabled but the smart card function has been disabled until Friday

42 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Sounds about right...

They've been switched to "Metrocard only" mode today which means the backend is enabled but the smart card function has been disabled until Friday

Yep every OMNY reader is set to Metrocard only atm.

2 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Does anyone know if the x27/28 have the readers yet?

Why would it?  Been said several times that the plan is being rolled out ONLY on Staten Island and select subway stations on the (4)(5)(6) and in select subway stations in Brooklyn, and then be expanded in stages.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Please... The cost to subsidize the ferry is already astronomical as it is.  Too expensive...

Maybe not to transfer but it would be nice to streamline the payment system.