Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

8 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

It's a big problem because the state and city are cutting down on paper costs by switching to all digital print and e-kiosk.

In short, the MTA is broke because it cut too many corners.

So explain how Jackson Heights, Elmhurst & Northeastern Queens is fighting back against the MTA....without paper documents? Lol....

Again, that ain't the problem...

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NY1635 said:

The B-15 is for Airport Workers who live in Brooklyn. The Q-3 is for Airport Workers living in South East Queens.

The problem with JFK is that the Q6 and Q7 are also for JFK Airport Workers, making the 3 and 15 look redundant. To review

B-15: JFK Airport workers living in Brooklyn

Q-3: JFK Airport Workers living on Farmers Blvd

Q-6/7: Cargo Airport Workers living on Rockaway and Sutphin

The Old N-91: Airport Workers living in Nassau.

I need a clear and concise explanation for this theory?  How does the Q3 and B15 reductant? I worked at JFK for years utilizing Q3, Q7 and B15. Those buses serve different functions and locations and not just for airport workers. 

To say that the Q3 and B15 are reductant you better have some facts on that. 

4 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I need a clear and concise explanation for this theory?  How does the Q3 and B15 reductant? I worked at JFK for years utilizing Q3, Q7 and B15. Those buses serve different functions and locations and not just for airport workers. 

Don't waste your time trying to get that from someone who doesn't understand the purpose of those routes.

28 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

It's stated outright, but It's implied that the redesign is going slow because of the Depots themselves and there's a lot of competition going on between them.

The Brooklyn Depot wants the B-15 to be a Linden/Drew/Brooklyn General Facility-Woodhull Route to cut down on mileage.

The B-15 travels nonstop between JFK and Linden Blvd in Brooklyn. 

The B-15 is merely a work shuttle for Brooklyn Residents. 

JFK-Airport Workers

Brooklyn General Facility-Post Office Workers.

10 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Speaking of which, how do you feel about the new  proposed routes to and around the airport?

I will say this. I have some dealings along the B15. This will mess up getting to terminal 5. Your forcing people to hop on the Airtrain and there are times the service can experience disruption forcing patrons to take shuttle buses from terminals to Federal Circle and taking the train to Howard Beach or Jamaica which exit fee is $7.75.. 

If you don’t work for a company that provides shuttle service at the least to Federal Circle. You are essentially screwed. Furthermore, with the current situation if you miss a bus you are looking at least 30 minutes if you don’t know your way through Cargo Service Road and surrounding areas. 

25 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

It's stated outright, but It's implied that the redesign is going slow because of the Depots themselves and there's a lot of competition going on between them.

The Brooklyn Depot wants the B-15 to be a Linden/Drew/Brooklyn General Facility-Woodhull Route to cut down on mileage.

The B-15 travels nonstop between JFK and Linden Blvd in Brooklyn. 

The B-15 is merely a work shuttle for Brooklyn Residents. 

JFK-Airport Workers

Brooklyn General Facility-Post Office Workers.

Just a work shuttle?

Have you ever been on the B15?

And what about your assessment on the Q3?

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I will say this. I have some dealings along the B15. This will mess up getting to terminal 5. Your forcing people to hop on the Airtrain and there are times the service can experience disruption forcing patrons to take shuttle buses from terminals to Federal Circle and taking the train to Howard Beach or Jamaica which exit fee is $7.75.. 

If you don’t work for a company that provides shuttle service at the least to Federal Circle. You are essentially screwed. Furthermore, with the current situation if you miss a bus you are looking at least 30 minutes if you don’t know your way through Cargo Service Road and surrounding areas. 

They don't really have a choice in the matter, since the Port Authority is pulling the MTA's strings in regards to where buses should go due to construction soon taking place in the airport of the terminal redesigns and a new hotel.

6 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Just a work shuttle?

Have you ever been on the B15?

And what about your assessment on the Q3?

They don't really have a choice in the matter, since the Port Authority is pulling the MTA's strings in regards to where buses should go due to construction soon taking place in the airport of the terminal redesigns and a new hotel.

Yes, the signs for both Routes are on wrong. It's been a programming nightmare.

Q3 is fine. It's mainly used by people living on Farmers Blvd. JFK Airport, Rochdale Village, St. Albans, and 179th Subway Station (F) are the major stops.

B15: JFK Airport, Housing Projects off Linden, New Lots Avenue Station on the (3) and the (L) , and Woodhull Hospital.  

The B15 is too much of a workhorse in Brooklyn to function as a Queens-Brooklyn route. It's Hospital Workers, Airport Workers, and Postal Workers fighting over the same route.

Bryford resigned because the in house engineers are driving him nuts with their total control over the system.

Edited by NY1635

It makes me a special sort of upset to watch politicians -- those who hold the purse strings make declarations like

President Byford's statement that the plan was devised within the restrictions of fiscal constraints dooms the plan to failure

when it's really the fault of those very pols that this is the case. Like, setting aside how insufferably all-or-nothing that statement is, who do they think makes these decisions? Same goes for the members complaining about service cuts. The whole point of redesigns of this sort is that they put resources where they will generate the most ridership and create the most benefit; there are going to be more winners than losers, but there will be losers. Saying "OMG this plan cut service in x area" is like saying "water is wet" in the case of a budget neutral redesign. If anyone cared to fix the budget neutral aspect, then, well, the win/loss issue would tilt further towards the former. 

This sort of behavior, taken in concert with today's news, _really_ makes me worry about the future of transit in NYC. 

Edited by RR503

7 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

2 minutes ago, RR503 said:

It makes me a special sort of upset to watch politicians -- those who hold the purse strings make declarations like

when it's really the fault of those very pols that this is the case. Like, setting aside how insufferably all-or-nothing that statement is, who do they think makes these decisions? 

This sort of behavior, taken in concert with today's news, _really_ makes me worry about the future of transit in NYC. 

I'm just mad that Byford went. If it's too much for him, then it might be too much period.

By coincidence, I just happen to be reading The Power Broker, the story of Robert Moses (rise and spectacular fall). Moses had absolute power of his domain (highways), but he also controlled the politicians. These politicians (Mayor Wagner for example) would make public complaints about some things, but in the end, they fell in line with power. It's the sort of thing Cuomo is doing now. Except he's thrice as stupid as Moses and he lacks any vision.

2 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

I'm just mad that Byford went. If it's too much for him, then it might be too much period.

By coincidence, I just happen to be reading The Power Broker, the story of Robert Moses (rise and spectacular fall). Moses had absolute power of his domain (highways), but he also controlled the politicians. These politicians (Mayor Wagner for example) would make public complaints about some things, but in the end, they fell in line with power. It's the sort of thing Cuomo is doing now. Except he's thrice as stupid as Moses and he lacks any vision.

No, it definitely is too much. No rational human being would want to work in the conditions Byford faced -- incessant and uninformed interference from above, etc. 

Moses was a master of his craft: he built a coalition that would support road construction independent of political leadership, and then carefully avoided angering any constituency with power. It is telling his downfall partially stemmed from LoMex -- the first one of his highways to traverse a large swath of middle class neighborhoods. In the end of the day, though, it's the lack of vision that's going to kill us. Seemingly nobody with power in this region knows what they wish to work towards. Without goals, why make change? 

13 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

How does the Q3 and B15 reductant? I worked at JFK for years utilizing Q3, Q7 and B15. Those buses serve different functions and locations and not just for airport workers. 

13 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Don't waste your time trying to get that from someone who doesn't understand the purpose of those routes.

None of that is his real issue.... Let's not waste time with someone shamelessly plugging a defunct Nassau county route in with a mix of current NYC routes serving JFK, just to try to fit in.....

Edited by B35 via Church

https://www.qchron.com/editions/queenswide/bus-redesign-plan-gets-mostly-good-reviews/article_431cc94c-bf5d-5ec9-a707-2cfb8aad0037.html

by David Russell, Associate Editor 

A woman concerned with losing Q67 service and facing a 25-minute walk to Woodside to get the train to Times Square.

A senior who is looking at a walk of 10 blocks because of changes to the Q38.

A retired driver wondering where bathrooms will be in transit deserts at the end of a bus line.

That was some of the feedback during a workshop on the MTA’s bus redesign in Ridgewood Tuesday night.

The redesign lays out new routes, eliminates others to help achieve a proposed reduction in turns, narrow streets and bus turns to speed rides up. The existing 82 routes would be reduced to 77, with new routes or combinations of them designed to cover all areas.

Residents gave input to MTA and Department of Transportation officials at the workshop.

“I always appreciate anything like this. It’s not people screaming,” John Maier, Community Board 5’s Transportation Committee co-chairman, told the Chronicle days after MTA President Andy Byford faced an angry crowd in Jackson Heights regarding the plan.

He has some issues with the plans such as moving bus stops to subways that aren’t accessible and a route taking people to the bus hub at Parsons Boulevard and Archer Avenue but with no connection to the Long Island Rail Road, meaning people would have to walk or take a separate train or bus. Maier does like the plan to split the Q58 into two lines, one express and one local, with the same destination.

There was a variety of topics borough commuters looked at Tuesday.

Sunnyside resident Brandon Mosley said there is concern in western Queens that service would be reduced along Queens Boulevard, forcing people to walk farther.

“But looking at the plan, that doesn’t seem to be the case,” he said, adding that he liked what he saw at the workshop and the plan made sense to him. “It’s more that bus routes are being consolidated so I think the issue is the way the plan is getting communicated isn’t easy for people to digest.”

Mosley, who lives along the 7 train line, is wondering how the bus redesign will accommodate the trains.

“Often what happens is the subway system and the bus system are treated like two completely separate entities and don’t always coincide with each other,” he said.

Marcos Perez lives in Williamsburg and said it takes about two hours to go see his family in Jackson Heights. Rather than take the G train to the 7 train to a bus, he can Uber there in 20 minutes. But he likes what he saw at the workshop.

“What I like is that they have a new bus going straight from Williamsburg to Jackson Heights,” Perez said. “I think that’s perfect.”

A Middle Village resident said the plan to terminate the Q53 at Queens Center mall would change his commute a lot. And he said not having the Q38 go to the M train in Middle Village would mean walking 10 more minutes and taking another bus.

“It’s not the end of the world but I’d rather not,” he said. “I enjoy my current setup.”

He added, “A lot of my fears are still present but I’m encouraged that they seem open to feedback.”

A series of workshops will be held throughout the borough before the final plan is released later this year. A final plan will be released followed by more outreach to the borough board, community boards and public input sessions.

The agency intends to implement a final version of the plan in 2021.

Examples of changes include the Q54, which runs from Jamaica to Brooklyn along Jamaica and Metropolitan avenues. The new QT3 and QT54 routes would travel instead along the wider Hillside Avenue before connecting with Metropolitan. The QT54 would act like a local bus, with 22 stops in Queens, including six borough stops that would be served by the QT3, serving as an express.

17 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Your forcing people to hop on the Airtrain and there are times the service can experience disruption forcing patrons to take shuttle buses from terminals to Federal Circle and taking the train to Howard Beach or Jamaica which exit fee is $7.75.. 

Would it be feasible for the Port Authority, to allow "free exit transfers" within a certain amount of time of entering? I think they'd see an increase in revenue. You can have passengers' friends and family going with them to the airport then returning home. Or passengers using the Airtrain as a shortcut between Jamaica and the Howard Beach Station.

They wouldn't "lose" money because many would be trips that wouldn't have been made otherwise because of the prohibitive cost of $15.50.

11 hours ago, RR503 said:

when it's really the fault of those very pols that this is the case. Like, setting aside how insufferably all-or-nothing that statement is, who do they think makes these decisions? Same goes for the members complaining about service cuts. The whole point of redesigns of this sort is that they put resources where they will generate the most ridership and create the most benefit; there are going to be more winners than losers, but there will be losers. Saying "OMG this plan cut service in x area" is like saying "water is wet" in the case of a budget neutral redesign. If anyone cared to fix the budget neutral aspect, then, well, the win/loss issue would tilt further towards the former. 

NY's State Budget Deficit is 6.1 Billion dollars.

The State Doesn't have the money for it's redesign and it cant borrow money.

Trump is preventing the Governor from mooching of federal money.