Advocates for Homeless Sue N.Y.C. Subway System Over Covid Rules

YankeesPwnMets

1 hour ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

The Governor controls the MTA's policies and funding. He gets to tell it what to do or not do.

The MTA is a public benefit corporation, not a state agency. The fact that it sometimes chooses to behave like a state agency does not make it so. It has some autonomy to make decisions, but it chooses not to use it. In this situation, the current environment (essentially an emergency environment) makes following the governor's instructions more important.

2 hours ago, JAzumah said:

The MTA is a public benefit corporation, not a state agency. The fact that it sometimes chooses to behave like a state agency does not make it so. It has some autonomy to make decisions, but it chooses not to use it. In this situation, the current environment (essentially an emergency environment) makes following the governor's instructions more important.

Only difference is the enabling act. Agencies just get legislation enabling their existence and the funding to operate is through the NYS General Fund and NYS bonds; PBCs get the relevant legislation but also incorporate so they can issue debt separate from NYS and keep the state from being responsible for it.

But they’re still state agencies since NYS Legislature has ultimate control of funding mechanisms and NY Governors control the boards.

22 hours ago, mediccjh said:

THE SUBWAY IS NOT A HOMELESS SHELTER, NOR IS IT A ROLLING HOTEL.

That is all. 

I agree. Despite subway cleaning shut down, it's not really successful because I still see dirt on R46, R68.

Also when I transfer from Bx6 SBS to (6) train at Hunt Points Av on Feb 25th, subway platform walls by train tracks were still dirty.

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

The trains are much cleaner, is it more-so because of lower ridership though?

Yup, I remember when riders use to throw their garbage on the floor of a station or a train with not a care in the world.

However in terms of buses, its still a mess. I'm pretty sure most of these buses only get washed once every month.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 3:08 AM, JAzumah said:

This isn't complicated for the MTA to defend against.

"The governor told us to shut down overnight. The governor will decide when we can open again fully. We are just following instructions. Please dismiss this suit."

Except what happens if a Judge says that's not acceptable and requires Cuomo to come down and say he ordered it and the Judge were to threaten him with prison unless he reversed it immediately? 

13 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Except what happens if a Judge says that's not acceptable and requires Cuomo to come down and say he ordered it and the Judge were to threaten him with prison unless he reversed it immediately? 

One can’t be jailed in cases of civil litigation. Plus with Separation of Powers, any attempt to force the Governor to respond to a subpoena or jail the Governor for ignoring one is a constitutional issue that violates positional and sovereign immunity.

So no, your dream of Andy in bracelets won’t happen in this instance because in the first scenario, jailing in civil cases violates the 4th Amendment, and in the second, positional and sovereign immunity means - to turn your favorite diminutive and give it a promotion - the king can do no wrong.

5 hours ago, Deucey said:

One can’t be jailed in cases of civil litigation. Plus with Separation of Powers, any attempt to force the Governor to respond to a subpoena or jail the Governor for ignoring one is a constitutional issue that violates positional and sovereign immunity.

So no, your dream of Andy in bracelets won’t happen in this instance because in the first scenario, jailing in civil cases violates the 4th Amendment, and in the second, positional and sovereign immunity means - to turn your favorite diminutive and give it a promotion - the king can do no wrong.

That does make it clear.  And no, I don't want Cuomo in bracelets anytime soon no matter how much the subways need to truly return to being 24/7. 

On 2/27/2021 at 7:14 PM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I remember when the Coalition For the Homeless sued to close down the subways overnight so that stations and trains could be used as shelters. 

Coalition for the Homeless is the biggest joke "advocacy" group in this city... and this city has a lot of them. It really befuddles me that these organizations think suing the city and the state to let the people they claim to adovcate for live in squalid conditions on the street and in the subway can be considered "compassionate"

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

8 hours ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

Coalition for the Homeless is the biggest joke "advocacy" group in this city... and this city has a lot of them. It really befuddles me that these organizations think suing the city and the state to let the people they claim to adovcate for live in squalid conditions on the street and in the subway can be considered "compassionate"

That might be why Giuliani's administration referred to those groups collectively as "the poverty industry." 

3 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

That might be why Giuliani's administration referred to those groups collectively as "the poverty industry." 

He's the last person I want to hear talking about poverty (at least, as it pertains to NYC).

3 hours ago, Lex said:

He's the last person I want to hear talking about poverty (at least, as it pertains to NYC).

As if de Blasio is doing so well making NYC "fair and equal" as he likes to say. lol Two terms in office. The only thing he's been doing is fattening his pockets and making developers richer. The homeless population has continued to grow under his watch. Lovely "progressive" policies. Everything that Giuliani cleaned up, de Blasio is destroying.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

As if de Blasio is doing so well making NYC "fair and equal" as he likes to say. lol Two terms in office. The only thing he's been doing is fattening his pockets and making developers richer. The homeless population has continued to grow under his watch. Lovely "progressive" policies. Everything that Giuliani cleaned up, de Blasio is destroying.

And what, pray tell, did he "clean up"?

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

A lot actually.  A bit of a nut job now, but he was exactly what NYC needed, which is law & order. Right now we allow anything and everything.

By the time he became mayor, crime was already on a downward trend nationwide, and NYC was no exception. In fact, he threw Bill "Broken Windows" Bratton out for hogging the spotlight (read: jealousy).

As far as mayors go, DeBlasio, Bloomberg, and Giuliani were/are arrogant pricks who have done more harm than good.  Dinkins, Koch and Beame were a buch of sleazy schmucks who spent more time dishing out patronage perks to cronies than actually trying to competently manage the City administration.  Lindsay was a bumbling bleeding-heart who was in way over his head as the person who's supposed to be in charge.

This city has not had a decent mayor since Robert Wagner; everyone who's occupied Gracie Mansion since then has been garbage. 

23 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

As far as mayors go, DeBlasio, Bloomberg, and Giuliani were/are arrogant pricks who have done more harm than good.  Dinkins, Koch and Beame were a buch of sleazy schmucks who spent more time dishing out patronage perks to cronies than actually trying to competently manage the City administration.  Lindsay was a bumbling bleeding-heart who was in way over his head as the person who's supposed to be in charge.

This city has not had a decent mayor since Robert Wagner; everyone who's occupied Gracie Mansion since then has been garbage. 

You’re telling your age 😀😀😀.. I wonder how many posters even know those folks. 

42 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

LOL it's collective memory; family's been in NY for three generations.  Together, we've spent 55 years hating on the mayors...

Anyway, I've been saying for a while now that if the average New Yorker actually took the time to educate themselves on their civic history, we wouldn't have ended up with seven shitty mayors in a row.

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

As far as mayors go, DeBlasio, Bloomberg, and Giuliani were/are arrogant pricks who have done more harm than good.  Dinkins, Koch and Beame were a bunch of sleazy schmucks who spent more time dishing out patronage perks to cronies than actually trying to competently manage the City administration.  Lindsay was a bumbling bleeding-heart who was in way over his head as the person who's supposed to be in charge.

This city has not had a decent mayor since Robert Wagner; everyone who's occupied Gracie Mansion since then has been garbage

Wait, you mean there's politicians that don't fall into any of those beautiful adjectives you eloquently convey with your lexicon here?! lol.giflol.gif

Learn something everyday.

On 3/13/2021 at 2:33 PM, Lex said:

By the time he became mayor, crime was already on a downward trend nationwide, and NYC was no exception. In fact, he threw Bill "Broken Windows" Bratton out for hogging the spotlight (read: jealousy).

I've heard that story a thousand times, but regardless, crime didn't trend upwards during his tenure. The same can't be same about de Blasio.  I know, crime overall is low, but there's been a huge uptick in violent crimes, such as shootings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 4:51 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

While Linday was Mayor from when I was born until he left after his second term, Beame was the first Mayor I remember growing up.  Beame was screwed by a lot of things he had no control over. 

The cleanup of NYC actually started under Dinkins in 1992.  He might have gotten a second term had there not been a seccession vote in Staten Island (the one heavily GOP area of NYC) which led to a far heavier-than-usual turnout there.  That turnout won the 1993 election for Guiliani (though in fairness, Guiliani likely is elected Mayor in 1989 if Yusef Hawkins didn't happen because then Koch beats Dinkins in the primary and loses to Guiliani in the General Election). 

On 3/13/2021 at 4:23 PM, R10 2952 said:

^^^^^^^^^THATS a Native New Yorker right there! 😉😉😉