MTA Takeover of SIM23 & SIM24

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you all know, today was the first day SIM23 and SIM24 operations under the MTA. 
All trips on both lines were covered (thank you!), and all buses were Prevosts. 

For the 5:00am Trips
SIM23: had 13 passengers
SIM24: had 10 passengers

For the 6:00am Trips
SIM23: passenger counters weren't working
SIM24: passenger counters weren't working

For the 6:30am Trips
SIM23: had 8 passengers

For the 7:00am Trips
SIM23: had 21 passengers
SIM24: had 18 passengers

For the 8:00am Trips
SIM24: had 15 passengers

All trips were within 5mins on time, except the 7am SIM24, which left 15mins late, and ended up arriving in the city on time. 

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

As you all know, today was the first day SIM23 and SIM24 operations under the MTA. 

All trips were within 5mins on time, except the 7am SIM24, which left 15mins late, and ended up arriving in the city on time. 

Excellent re-cap @XcelsiorBoii4888. Hopefully in the future they can restore the Outerbridge park and ride.  My only guess is that TA wants to see good ridership on the 24 in order to restore it back.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Excellent re-cap @XcelsiorBoii4888. Hopefully in the future they can restore the Outerbridge park and ride.  My only guess is that TA wants to see good ridership on the 24 in order to restore it back.

That stop was removed because of low ridership. Given the amount of riders that have stated they would or did benefit from it, we will push for it again at a later date. At least we were able to get the Poillon stop restored on the SIM23.

7 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Thanks for the summary. How were they in terms of being on-time at Checkpoint (Veterans Road East & Arthur Kill Road)? My suspicion is that the SIM24 has excess runtime between Woodrow & Arthur Kill. For example, what time did the 7am trip get there? (Since that one definitely wouldn't be dragging the line, since it's already late)

8 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Thanks for the summary. How were they in terms of being on-time at Checkpoint (Veterans Road East & Arthur Kill Road)? My suspicion is that the SIM24 has excess runtime between Woodrow & Arthur Kill. For example, what time did the 7am trip get there? (Since that one definitely wouldn't be dragging the line, since it's already late)

The SIM24 does have excessive runtime. 

I wasn't tracking on-time reliability but I did capture a few screenshots to answer those questions. 

I missed the checkpoint arrival for the 5am buses because I woke up at 5:38am. 

For the 6:00am buses: the SIM23 got there around 6:22am and the SIM24 got there around 6:17am. 

For the 6:30am buses: the SIM23 got there around 6:47am and the SIM24 got there around 6:45am. 

For the 7:00am buses: the SIM23 got there around 7:18am and the SIM24 got there around 7:30am. 

For the 8:00am buses: the SIM23 got there around 8:25am and the SIM24 got there around 8:23am. 

4 minutes ago, Eric B said:

All this time, I never saw mentioned, which garage will they operate out of? Will they keep their own garage, and it be added to the rosters, like when the DOT companies were taken over? Is the agency NYC Bus, or MTAB, or something separate?

SIM23 and SIM24 are NYCT, and the Staten Island express bus fleet was backfilled with MCI's from MTA Bus to support the operation (no buses were brought over from Academy.) That's about all I know.

52 minutes ago, Eric B said:

All this time, I never saw mentioned, which garage will they operate out of? Will they keep their own garage, and it be added to the rosters, like when the DOT companies were taken over? Is the agency NYC Bus, or MTAB, or something separate?

if I'm not mistaken, the SIM23/24 runs are assigned to Charleston Depot

1 hour ago, Eric B said:

Based out of NYCT Charleston Depot, they'll use the Prevost and the MCI that were brought over from MTA Bus. It's not like the MTA was taking over Academy. They just took over operations of the lines.

27 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Also, that bus has been sitting in one spot for a while now. Maybe it's disabled.

For now, there is no service for the 23/24 and I also heard that earlier there was a crash on Huguenot Ave/Drumgoole Ave which effects service of SIM2 & SIM24.

1 minute ago, Michael J Q Last Bus said:

For now, there is no service for the 23/24 and I also heard that earlier there was a crash on Huguenot Ave/Drumgoole Ave which effects service of SIM2 & SIM24.

And due to the iced roads, and the Goethals Bridge being closed for Road Work, SIM8, SIM8X, SIM23, SIM24, SIM25, SIM26, and SIM30 have been re-routed via Bayonne so they can salt the roads.

1 hour ago, Michael J Q Last Bus said:

And due to the iced roads, and the Goethals Bridge being closed for Road Work, SIM8, SIM8X, SIM23, SIM24, SIM25, SIM26, and SIM30 have been re-routed via Bayonne so they can salt the roads.

There was a 25 car pile up on the goethals bridge early this morning if affected all the bus lines heading into Manhattan.

57 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I checked BusTime around 9:34 and that bus was in the city, maybe it was a glitch?

That wasn't a glitch. The 9:34 time that you viewed was the detour from the Bayonne Bridge going into Manhattan.

2 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Does that run return from Manhattan for a second trip? There's really no excuse for pulling out an hour late.

Are you nuts? You have no idea how bad it was out this morning. There was black ice everywhere. I had bus operators from Staten Island messaging me about how bad the conditions were. There were dozens of non-MTA accidents all over the City. SIM lines had to be re-routed from New Jersey to Brooklyn and aside from that, operators were trying to help riders that were essentially left with no bus to get close to their destination after doing their own trip.  The operators did a great job this morning considering the insane delays, etc. Staten Island is also down at least 300 bus operators because of COVID, etc., and this is not going away anytime soon. 

P.S. Since when do you care about the commutes of express bus riders? lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 1/5/2022 at 12:01 AM, GojiMet86 said:

It's not like the MTA was taking over Academy. They just took over operations of the lines.

Thanks.

Are they the same union? I thought it was the different unions that led them them to keep acquired lines separate.