Platform Edge Barriers are coming

6 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Damn. I’m guessing this is sorta phase 1 of PSD’s.

are you privy to which division this will occur on or which stations and lines? 

Thanks for the update!

Rumor is that it's not going to be the three stations mentioned but instead regular A and B division stations in Upper Manhattan and both ends of Brooklyn. It may be that Transit is testing this out with SMEEs and manual operation before constructing anything substantial for those CBTC lines. The mock-up looks pretty low-tech, for what it's worth. 

13 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

The mock-up looks pretty low-tech, for what it's worth. 

If it’ll raise the bar for effort required to get a body onto the tracks, it’s probably good enough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 1/20/2024 at 12:54 AM, Kamen Rider said:

I would like to state for the record that I did not share the bulletin to anyone. 

People just posting Bulletins such as that aren't too smart TA monitor's all social media and there's rules in place...

That's RTO material for RTO folks not just some random person to see.

That person should expect a DAN whoever shared that with....

2 hours ago, RTOMan said:

People just posting Bulletins such as that aren't too smart TA monitor's all social media and there's rules in place...

It amazes me how internal documents from RTO get leaked within minutes. Does no one follow rules anymore?

51 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

It amazes me how internal documents from RTO get leaked within minutes. Does no one follow rules anymore?

Over zealous employees dealing with buffs...

When they get called down to twobway then they see TA isnt playing...

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm LOLing that they require "an extremely precise stop" at these stations...as opposed to the usual "sort of precise" stop?

Depending on the circumstances, there could technically be a bit of leeway (not that this is meant to happen in practice).

The barriers eat into that leeway so much that even being just a couple of meters off means people may not be able to get on/off without having to reposition the train entirely. The differences in rolling stock will only exacerbate the issue (75-footers have fewer doorways in different positions relative to 60-footers, IRT NTT B/C cars have offset doors, unlike the SMEEs and NTT A cars). This also makes emergency egress far more difficult.

From what I've seen of the barriers put in place at 191st St, they are putting the least amount of effort and money as possible, and planning on failure.  They don't want to do this so they are doing a half-fast job of it just to say they tried.  Those barriers won't stop anything and only even cover half the distance between columns.  What about the other half?

And why W 8th St?  The Q uses 75 footers and the F 60', but there is the occasional R160 on the Q and this would preclude them from using them at all.

48515493661_aac8e6e06c_b.jpgShanghai Metro by zacfi2000, on Flickr

This is what it should be if they are going to do it at all.  (That girl was looking at this grey haired old white guy taking a picture and probably had hardly seen any westerners before.)

Edited by zacster

On 1/19/2024 at 2:59 PM, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

Those stations are the ones the MTA had planned to install the PSDs a few years ago rights? Meaning Sutphin-JFK (E), Times Sq (7), and one of the Manhattan (L) stations (forgot which one)?

3 Av

And Maybe the MTA needs to make these better, they look too bland and look like something you wanna avoid because of the yellow color, like one of those cones that you're supposed to avoid when there's a wet spot.

4 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

And Maybe the MTA needs to make these better, they look too bland and look like something you wanna avoid because of the yellow color, like one of those cones that you're supposed to avoid when there's a wet spot.

A stainless steel fence would’ve been a better option than this horrendous design

9 hours ago, zacster said:

From what I've seen of the barriers put in place at 191st St, they are putting the least amount of effort and money as possible, and planning on failure.  They don't want to do this so they are doing a half-fast job of it just to say they tried.  Those barriers won't stop anything and only even cover half the distance between columns.  What about the other half?

And why W 8th St?  The Q uses 75 footers and the F 60', but there is the occasional R160 on the Q and this would preclude them from using them at all.

48515493661_aac8e6e06c_b.jpgShanghai Metro by zacfi2000, on Flickr

This is what it should be if they are going to do it at all.  (That girl was looking at this grey haired old white guy taking a picture and probably had hardly seen any westerners before.)

If they lean that heavily into it now, it'll bite them hard in the ass later. The R62/As don't have door positions consistent with existing IRT NTTs and there's good reason to believe the (1) will get R142s when the R262s finally have significant presence. In addition, R142s could find their way over there now (they have before).

If you want to argue that it wasn't the smartest move to try them there, I'd agree, but there's not a lot of good places to test them before making any firm plans, especially since it'll be some time before we even begin to see the R262s (which, last I checked, don't even have a builder yet).

36 minutes ago, Lex said:

If they lean that heavily into it now, it'll bite them hard in the ass later. The R62/As don't have door positions consistent with existing IRT NTTs and there's good reason to believe the (1) will get R142s when the R262s finally have significant presence. In addition, R142s could find their way over there now (they have before).

If you want to argue that it wasn't the smartest move to try them there, I'd agree, but there's not a lot of good places to test them before making any firm plans, especially since it'll be some time before we even begin to see the R262s (which, last I checked, don't even have a builder yet).

Finally, someone put it into words, a lot of people keep glossing over that fact.

Personally, I'm glad something is happening and hopefully the MTA keeps up with that kind of consistency to continue trying and this would just be a phase to progress over to the next.

PSD's aren't going to be coming any time soon, especially since we're still a very long way before the R262 pilot even makes its way touching NYCT tracks. Let's also not forget going off-topic for a minute with the R211's still taking their sweet time, we haven't had any new deliveries on the production set for months and we're nearing the 1 year mark since the R211A pilot set ran in service back in March 2023. Things like this are going to take time and needs to take time.

Besides, I'm more worried about a certain other station that being West 8 St station on the (F)(Q) line which explicitly points it out. Most likely, it would be done on the (F)'s platform, but then the question arises whenever the (D) sometimes reroutes along Culver and with them being R68's only. 

On 1/21/2024 at 8:05 AM, RTOMan said:

Thank You !!