NYC pols urge MTA to audit 'completely unpredictable' R train after riders’ complaints...

Mysterious2train

@Checkmatechamp13

When the (Q) runs to 96th it will go full time which will eliminate layups at 49-57th st. Once this is done the (Q)(N) will remain express and not infring on the (R) by stopping at 49th.

It is my understanding that the (N)(Q) get priority there, which doesn't quite add up to me. If anything the (R) should be given priority to so it can make an on time merge with the (M) (which is holding up the (E).

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I highly encourage anyone who rode the completely unreliable R train this weekend to complain to politicians in every neighborhood served by the R:  Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Park Slope, etc.  Something has to be done.

Just two examples of absolutely horrendous scheduling:

- Massive delays due to Queens Blvd trackwork severely messed up Brooklyn & Manhattan service.  Trains were leaving Bay Ridge at 15 to 20 minute intervals in the 3:00pm hour on Saturday since they were coming back to Bay Ridge after very long headways.

- Coming back to Bay Ridge a little before noon at 36th St today, riders kept filing out to take the shuttle bus rather than wait for an R train that just wasn't showing up.  After 35 minutes of waiting, I took a shuttle bus to 59th and walked home to BayRidge.  That's 35 minutes at lunchtime with no R train service!!!

When there is Queens Blvd trackwork, they must offer extra R service to Brooklyn.  That runs 95th-Whitehall or 95th to Times Square.  (The R trains that run the full route, 95th to Queens, can run on a reduced headway).  That way when the Queens trains are severely delayed, as they always are when there's Queens trackwork, won't cause Bay Ridge riders to wait over 30 minutes for a train.

I highly encourage anyone who rode the completely unreliable R train this weekend to complain to politicians in every neighborhood served by the R:  Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Park Slope, etc.  Something has to be done.

- Massive delays due to Queens Blvd trackwork severely messed up Brooklyn & Manhattan service.  Trains were leaving Bay Ridge at 15 to 20 minute intervals in the 3:00pm hour on Saturday since they were coming back to Bay Ridge after very long headways.

- Coming back to Bay Ridge a little before noon at 36th St today, riders kept filing out to take the shuttle bus rather than wait for an R train that just wasn't showing up.  After 35 minutes of waiting, I took a shuttle bus to 59th and walked home to BayRidge.  That's 35 minutes at lunchtime with no R train service!!!

When there is Queens Blvd trackwork, they must offer extra R service to Brooklyn.  That runs 95th-Whitehall or 95th to Times Square.  (The R trains that run the full route, 95th to Queens, can run on a reduced headway).  That way when the Queens trains are severely delayed, as they always are when there's Queens trackwork, won't cause Bay Ridge riders to wait over 30 minutes for a train.

lol.... 30 minutes for a train... Come on now... You know that isn't true.  We know how great that (R) train is especially over the X27...  :lol:

I highly encourage anyone who rode the completely unreliable R train this weekend to complain to politicians in every neighborhood served by the R: Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Park Slope, etc. Something has to be done.

- Massive delays due to Queens Blvd trackwork severely messed up Brooklyn & Manhattan service. Trains were leaving Bay Ridge at 15 to 20 minute intervals in the 3:00pm hour on Saturday since they were coming back to Bay Ridge after very long headways.

- Coming back to Bay Ridge a little before noon at 36th St today, riders kept filing out to take the shuttle bus rather than wait for an R train that just wasn't showing up. After 35 minutes of waiting, I took a shuttle bus to 59th and walked home to BayRidge. That's 35 minutes at lunchtime with no R train service!!!

When there is Queens Blvd trackwork, they must offer extra R service to Brooklyn. That runs 95th-Whitehall or 95th to Times Square. (The R trains that run the full route, 95th to Queens, can run on a reduced headway). That way when the Queens trains are severely delayed, as they always are when there's Queens trackwork, won't cause Bay Ridge riders to wait over 30 minutes for a train.

Huge gaps like those are the reason why more crowd up on the Q60 on weekends in Queens. As far as Manhattan and Brooklyn the MTA would claim that the (N)(Q)(D) and B37 as alternatives. So the (R) is just left to suffer with it's many delays. Luckily on a lot of weekends the (E) and (F) also run local so waiting for a train is not as bad. On days that the (R) do run good it's just too long of a route in my opinion. All other long routes have a express portion to them. Just traveling from for example 8th street to let's say 63rd drive is too long. The (R) is one of those routes that need an express.

Huge gaps like those are the reason why more crowd up on the Q60 on weekends in Queens. As far as Manhattan and Brooklyn the MTA would claim that the (N)(Q)(D) and B37 as alternatives. So the (R) is just left to suffer with it's many delays. Luckily on a lot of weekends the (E) and (F) also run local so waiting for a train is not as bad. On days that the (R) do run good it's just too long of a route in my opinion. All other long routes have a express portion to them. Just traveling from for example 8th street to let's say 63rd drive is too long. The (R) is one of those routes that need an express.

The (R) is local and should be local.  The issue isn't that at all. It is simply unreliable and the waits are ridiculous.  You can wait 20+ minutes at 59th street (in Brooklyn) as several (N) express trains make their way to Coney Island.  There is no way in hell I would ever move to Bay Ridge and deal with that commute.  That's probably one of the reasons why some parts of Bay Ridge is still somewhat affordable.  The areas near Shore Rd and on Shore Rd with the X27 where I considered when I thought about moving back to Brooklyn are the prime parts of Bay Ridge and continue to appreciate in value because despite the complaints about the extra cost, the X27 beats the (R) train by a mile and you don't live on Shore Rd unless you have the money to do so.  When Bay Ridge gets the new ferry service, folks near and along Shore Rd will have even more options to get to Manhattan quickly.

Agreed. For real, why would the (R) need express service anyway? You already have the (E) and (F) in Queens and the (N) in Manhattan and Brooklyn taking care of that. And when the (W) does get restored, the (N) will be back to running express in Manhattan again. The issue with the (R) is simply irregular service and off schedule. That's it. A longer line doesn't necessarily mean they should run express service on it.

Just cut the (R) to Times Square or extend it to 179 Street already.

(R) for rarely. This is what we all describe this train line for it sluggishness and unreliability. First of, insteated of 10-20 minute intervals, the train line should just run, per say every 5-7 minutes (just throwing ideas) since it's a lengthy line that serves neighborhoods between Forest Hills and Bay Ridge. Since the (G) train was discontinued from Queens Blvd, the (R) Line has gotten highly sluggish. This line doesn't necessary need express, BUT needs more trains and service to make it more reliable because let's face, this line needs a lot of boosting up.

This line doesn't necessary need express

Yeah of course not because you have the (E)(F) on Queens Blvd and the  (N) on Broadway/4th Avenue getting that job done as I stated previously. The (R) is a local counterpart/feeder route to those 3 lines anyway.

It's been said many times why boosting (R) service wouldn't work.

Which is why what I would do is bring in a new, full-time (Z) (if work on the Nassau Street portion of Montauge is ever done) which as noted would be mainly to supplement the (R) local in Brooklyn, running to Broadway Junction weekdays and Metropolitan Avenue late nights and weekends as that would eliminate the (R) and (M) shuttle trains. 

Which is why what I would do is bring in a new, full-time (Z) (if work on the Nassau Street portion of Montauge is ever done) which as noted would be mainly to supplement the (R) local in Brooklyn, running to Broadway Junction weekdays and Metropolitan Avenue late nights and weekends as that would eliminate the (R) and (M) shuttle trains.

...and it has been said many times why THIS wouldn't work.

That would be confusing to many.

I was thinking how the (R) and (W) when restored could switch southern terminals but then I thought of the problem the (R) had back in the 80's when the (N) and (R) swapped terminals and that wouldn't work out.

It's obvious the (R) could use a little boost in service but the biggest problem is the (R) sharing lines with the (N)(Q) and (M). When the (W) gets restored the problem will lessen for the (R) on weekends because both the (M) and (W) are not running and the (N) and (Q) are express with only that one merger with the (N) after Times Square.

Other than that there is really nothing you can do unless you build more tracks and that is not even an option at this point.

Actually, I modified my full-time (Z) idea a bit where it still does its main job and also doesn't interfere much (if at all) with the (J), with this (Z) being a supplement to the (R):

In this scenario, the (J) is truncated full-time to Chambers Street and terminates on the "express" tracks there since the (Z) would pick up Broad and Fulton Streets with that line 24/7, running as follows:

Weekdays (5:30 AM-11:00 PM):
New (Z) is essentially the old "Brown (R) Bankers Special," except this version would be running both ways between Chambers and 95th Street-Bay Ridge at all times.  During the week, coming north the line terminates on the northbound "local" track at Chambers, then after fumigation goes past the switches on the old northbound local/bridge track.  As soon as there is no traffic, such (Z) trains would cross over to the southbound "local" track for the return trip to Brooklyn. 

All other times (11:00 PM-5:30 AM weekdays AND 11:00 PM Friday-5:30 AM Monday):
New (Z) is extended to Metropolitan Avenue to absorb the current (M) shuttles during those hours, running from there to 95th Street. This also absorbs the current late-night (R) shuttle as well.

Probably the best way to at least address the Brooklyn issues as unless you were going to the NYSE or other places in lower Manhattan, most people would use this to where they transfer to other trains.

Just curious has this person taken into account the numerous GOs that go along Queens Blvd on the Weekends???

I have also notice it's not even addressed here at all...

Folks until these CBTC pre GOs are done its gonna be this way..

Why the politicans cannot grasp this is beyond me..

I'm siding with RTO here

That would be confusing to many.

I was thinking how the (R) and (W) when restored could switch southern terminals but then I thought of the problem the (R) had back in the 80's when the (N) and (R) swapped terminals and that wouldn't work out.

It's obvious the (R) could use a little boost in service but the biggest problem is the (R) sharing lines with the (N)(Q) and (M). When the (W) gets restored the problem will lessen for the (R) on weekends because both the (M) and (W) are not running and the (N) and (Q) are express with only that one merger with the (N) after Times Square.

Other than that there is really nothing you can do unless you build more tracks and that is not even an option at this point.

But the (M) already doesn't run on Queens Blvd on weekends and yet (R) riders still experience long waits and service delays. And most likely, the (N) will still run local in Manhattan when the (W) doesn't run, so that Prince St merge will still be there on weekends. However, the weekday service should be better than the merging at both Prince and 34th on weekdays that we have now.

Actually, I modified my full-time Z idea a bit where it still does its main job and also doesn't interfere much (if at all) with the J, with this Z being a supplement to the R:

In this scenario, the J is truncated full-time to Chambers Street and terminates on the "express" tracks there since the Z would pick up Broad and Fulton Streets with that line 24/7, running as follows:Weekdays (5:30 AM-11:00 PM):

New Z is essentially the old "Brown R Bankers Special," except this version would be running both ways between Chambers and 95th Street-Bay Ridge at all times. During the week, coming north the line terminates on the northbound "local" track at Chambers, then after fumigation goes past the switches on the old northbound local/bridge track. As soon as there is no traffic, such Z trains would cross over to the southbound "local" track for the return trip to Brooklyn. All other times (11:00 PM-5:30 AM weekdays AND 11:00 PM Friday-5:30 AM Monday):

New Z is extended to Metropolitan Avenue to absorb the current M shuttles during those hours, running from there to 95th Street. This also absorbs the current late-night R shuttle as well.

Probably the best way to at least address the Brooklyn issues as unless you were going to the NYSE or other places in lower Manhattan, most people would use this to where they transfer to other trains.

Wouldn't it just be easier to extend the (J) and (Z) to 95th and 4th, as opposed to making the (Z) a completely different and complex route that relays at Chambers or Broadway Junction (and extends to Metro late nights and weekends)? People have stated on here that it would be a "ridiculously long route," but I don't think it really would be any worse than the current (R) is. An extended J to/from 95th is 46 stops vs. 45 stops for the current R. The J line also appears to have more of a straight shot into Lower Manhattan. The J only has the merge with the M at Myrtle and at Essex, unlike the multiple merges the R currently deals with. Skip-stop J/Z service would be retained and expanded so that the J and Z can run a combined 12 tph for each full rush hour period. Yes, the J runs shorter trains than the R, but they'd be running more frequently and wouldn't be susceptible to the delays the R experiences in Manhattan and on Queens Blvd.

But the (M) already doesn't run on Queens Blvd on weekends and yet (R) riders still experience long waits and service delays. And most likely, the (N) will still run local in Manhattan when the (W) doesn't run, so that Prince St merge will still be there on weekends. However, the weekday service should be better than the merging at both Prince and 34th on weekdays that we have now. Wouldn't it just be easier to extend the (J) and (Z) to 95th and 4th, as opposed to making the (Z) a completely different and complex route that relays at Chambers or Broadway Junction (and extends to Metro late nights and weekends)? People have stated on here that it would be a "ridiculously long route," but I don't think it really would be any worse than the current (R) is. An extended J to/from 95th is 46 stops vs. 45 stops for the current R. The J line also appears to have more of a straight shot into Lower Manhattan. The J only has the merge with the M at Myrtle and at Essex, unlike the multiple merges the R currently deals with. Skip-stop J/Z service would be retained and expanded so that the J and Z can run a combined 12 tph for each full rush hour period. Yes, the J runs shorter trains than the R, but they'd be running more frequently and wouldn't be susceptible to the delays the R experiences in Manhattan and on Queens Blvd.

The (R) riders still experience long waits and delays because of Weekend GOs and it's headways and the (N) will go back the being express when the (W) returns it would cause more delays to have the (N),(R) and (W) all run on the local track I know people say that the (R) doesn't need an express portion but IMO it does when the (Q) is rerouted for SAS the (Q) and (W) should run local and the (N) and (R) should run express.

The (R) riders still experience long waits and delays because of Weekend GOs and it's headways and the (N) will go back the being express when the (W) returns it would cause more delays to have the (N), (R) and (W) all run on the local track I know people say that the (R) doesn't need an express portion but IMO it does when the (Q) is rerouted for SAS the (Q) and (W) should run local and the (N) and (R) should run express.

NO NO NO! Running the (Q) local and up 2nd Avenue is even worse than the current (N) running over the Bridge and local. Now both 34th and Prince merges will be a mess.

Swap the express (N) with the local (R) with the (R) on the Bridge and the (N) via Montague and this is a much better proposal.

NO NO NO! Running the (Q) local and up 2nd Avenue is even worse than the current (N) running over the Bridge and local. Now both 34th and Prince merges will be a mess.

Swap the express (N) with the local (R) with the (R) on the Bridge and the (N) via Montague and this is a much better proposal.

What's wrong with the current (N) running over the bridge?

I have no problem with the (N) over the Bridge. I have a problem with it going over the Bridge and switching to the local tracks at Prince (delays (Q)(R) ).

His proposal had the (Q) local and the (N)(R) express. Now the (N) is straight railed but the problem is exacerbated because the (Q) and (R) both cross from one to the other (a recipe for disaster).So I think he should swap two services. if he wants the (R) express on Broadway, it should come over the Bridge. If he wants the (N) local, it should come from Montague.

Remember, the reason the IRT lines work more efficiently and come more frequently is because, under normal operation the locals (1)(6) never share tracks with the express (2)(3)(4)(5).

I don't even understand why they still send the (R) down Queens Blvd on the weekends when they're doing track work and the (E) and (F) are going local.

I'd say Turn the (R) at Queens Plaza, the (E) does not run that frequently to cause a disturbance. The (E) and (F) run frequently enough combined to handle the loads, and also one less train line to exasperate the delays.

There are no (M) or (G) trains that would be disturbed with the (R) terminating at Queens Plaza. After an (E) passes, the (R) can go into the layup track and pull out on the Express track. After an (E) clears the station southbound, the (R) can leave and cross over to the 60th street tunnel.

Also the (E) and (F) will not be delayed due to terminating (R) trains at 71st Ave, they will be through routed and undisturbed.

Win Win for all

As for different service patterns in general, How about these service patterns to keep the Queens Blvd separate from Brooklyn?

(R) Whitehall to Forest Hills

(W) Astoria Ditmars to 95th Street?

How about these new patterns?

(R) Whitehall to Forest Hills

(W) Astoria Ditmars to 95th Street?

You run into the same problem the (R) had. No direct access to a yard.

Now, if Cuomo ever gets some sense into his head and replaces his Airtrain boondoggle and extends this (W) to LaGuardia, we could include a new yard on ConEd land in Ravenswood, fixing the problem.

Then this looks like a good idea.

But the (M) already doesn't run on Queens Blvd on weekends and yet (R) riders still experience long waits and service delays. And most likely, the (N) will still run local in Manhattan when the (W) doesn't run, so that Prince St merge will still be there on weekends. However, the weekday service should be better than the merging at both Prince and 34th on weekdays that we have now.

Wouldn't it just be easier to extend the (J) and (Z) to 95th and 4th, as opposed to making the (Z) a completely different and complex route that relays at Chambers or Broadway Junction (and extends to Metro late nights and weekends)? People have stated on here that it would be a "ridiculously long route," but I don't think it really would be any worse than the current (R) is. An extended J to/from 95th is 46 stops vs. 45 stops for the current R. The J line also appears to have more of a straight shot into Lower Manhattan. The J only has the merge with the M at Myrtle and at Essex, unlike the multiple merges the R currently deals with. Skip-stop J/Z service would be retained and expanded so that the J and Z can run a combined 12 tph for each full rush hour period. Yes, the J runs shorter trains than the R, but they'd be running more frequently and wouldn't be susceptible to the delays the R experiences in Manhattan and on Queens Blvd.

The (J) ran to 95 St after 9/11 (no (R) trains), and reliability plummeted in the line. Too long of a line.

Archived