NovaBus LFS Articulated Discussion

R32 3348

Question. Are these buses straight diesel or diesel-electric? I ask because I noticed a regeneration switch on the switch panel. (and cause they sound super quiet...too quiet if you ask me lol)

I believe it's straight diesel, Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I remember reading somewhere that the LFSAs are straight diesel. You are right though they are really quiet. I have to listen closely to hear one Idle.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe it's straight diesel, Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I remember reading somewhere that the LFSAs are straight diesel. You are right though they are really quiet. I have to listen closely to hear one Idle.

These 328 buses are straight clean diesel. The first ever hybrid electric/diesel artic buses are being delivered to Connecticut currently. They have ten on order with I believe 7 already delivered, balance are built just finishing the paint process and customer inspection.

Question. Are these buses straight diesel or diesel-electric? I ask because I noticed a regeneration switch on the switch panel. (and cause they sound super quiet...too quiet if you ask me lol)

They are quiet because the ISL is 6 cylinder as opposed to the 4 cylinder DD50 that everyone is so use to hearing. I believe it also has a completely balanced and polished crankshaft as well. The only sound that you can really hear from inside the bus is the transmission.

6V-92TA/8V-92TA = two-stroke

Series 50 = four-stroke

To really get into the differences between two-stroke and four-stroke engines, please click here: Animated Engines - Two stroke and Animated Engines - Four stroke. There are more complex descriptions on the web, but these are probably just as helpful due to the animations.

Four strokes are cleaner than two strokes and are less crude, more refined. Two strokes give you more power and have fewer moving parts. They are also lighter than four strokes. However they also (because they are less refined) produce more noise and clatter. The noise and clatter can be observed on chain saws, lawn mowers, and motorcycles. So it makes sense that a 6V-92TA is louder than a Series 50. But a Series 60 (inline-6) is quieter than a Series 50 (inline-4).

8V-92TA should be quieter than a 6V-92TA due to the presence of additional cylinders. It is definitely smoother and both engines are two strokes, so the comparison is fair in this case. The more cylinders you have, the smoother the engine runs, the less jerky the crankshaft, and the less clatter it produces. Since two-strokes are louder in general and are not the same animals as four strokes, especially when we are discussing diesels, it is not surprising that the 8V-92TA was louder than the 6V-92TA as you said. But the V8 should definitely be smoother and less jerky than the V6.

V-blocks should generally be quieter and less jerky than inlines because V-blocks actually have shorter crankshafts. V6s definitely have shorter crankshafts than inline-6s because instead of having all 6 cylinders in one line, you just have three cylinders to the right and three to the left of the crankshaft. Flat-blocks and W-blocks basically have the same thing going on. Again, comparing a two-stroke V-block to a four stroke inline may not be fair since you are looking at apples (two-strokes) and oranges (four-strokes).

A V6 can even have a shorter crankshaft or one of the same length as an inline-4. Completely depends on the engine bores and strokes. More dependent on bore than stroke though.

The difference between sound by number of cylinders is also from the sound frequency, or "crank phasing", which is based on the division of 360°.

2, 4, or 8 cylinder have cranks that are at 180° or 90° (called "square phasing"), while for 3, 6 or 12 cylinders, the cranks are 60° or 120° (called "triangle phasing"), and when the exhaust is blown (each puff producing a "note") at the resulting intervals per a given period of time it creates a different "voice" so to speak.

This is most prominent in the two stroke engines, and most familiarly, the Detroit 6V and 8V series. (And the 2 and 4 sound like the 8, only "lighter" in sound, and likewise, the 3 and 12 sound like the 6. Higher cylinders like 16, 20, 24, etc are made from combinations of smaller engine blocks).

There is also the pentagonal phase, of 5 and 10 cylinder engines, though Detroit never made these.

For four stroke engines, the difference is not as noticeable, because the frequency is changed by the increased number of strokes. Hence, buses have completely lost their distinctive sounds, making me lose a lot of interest in riding them.

Many car V6's and inline 4's sound very similar to the Detroit two stroke 6's, and 8's, respectively, with very prominent exhaust notes, though the Series 60 (which is an inline 6, and I think the corresponding CAT and Cummins engines) sounds nothing like this. The Series 50, which is 4 cylinder, sounds only remotely like other four cylinders, or the two stroke 8V. The exhaust notes are very muffled, or subdued. Four stroke V8's have an altogether different sound.

All the other engines; I've lost track as to how many cylinders. You just can't tell from the sound anymore.

It's not just combustion engines, but these sounds can be heard (in diminished form) in electric motors, compressors, propellers, and even whistles (the kind with rotating pieces with holes in them).

I thought the half of the Nova 60 fleet were as going to MTA bus are they still. How long is ttmg going updated for roster and depot.

No, none of these buses are going to MTA bus. Baisley Park and JFK are slated to get 72 buses (total) out of the next order in late 2013.

they are using the buses on the Bx17 funny i never thought they would 5790 is on it alot now morning and nite

WOW that's a huge no, no...the union at WF even said that who ever takes an artic on to the 17 and gets into an accident will not be defended...that operator is taking a huge chance but then again you said its in the morning so its most likely an operator with some time under his/her belt.

WOW that's a huge no, no...the union at WF even said that who ever takes an artic on to the 17 and gets into an accident will not be defended...that operator is taking a huge chance but then again you said its in the morning so its most likely an operator with some time under his/her belt.
funny you said that i know a B O that lives in my building he takes out an artic in the morning on the Bx15 and on his way back sb he most of the time has an artic on the Bx17 they for some reason are using alot of them on the 17 and he said the Road Dir said not to i guess they are changing there minds bc the 17 is very crowded now they said

Am I the only one the feels/notices that the delivery of the 40ft LFS took forever compared to the rate at which we are receiving LFSA's?

The 40ft LFS were broken into 3 smaller lots, the 60ft LFSA are in 3 larger lots. With the smaller lots come issues from the differences. Expect a short delay when they change over to the second lot of this order. But they may have it together and experience no delays. We will see. Second lot should start in March.

• 2 weeks later...
He means in 2013 those 72 LFSA's for (MTA) Bus are going to come from the second batch of the additional 328 Nova LFSA's that's supposed to start in 2013 leaving 256 buses for NYCT out of the order.

That's right. In two years from now. Boy we will see a great fleet total of 90 (2009-10) + 328 (x2) = a wooping 746 LFSA in completion.

Enless the subject of the order changes drastically....

Archived