MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

There's no need to have more than 2 types of local buses at all the depots. SC and CP should both be C40lfs only. Keep it simple. If it's about balancing out the fleet age, then give them the older D4500s.

Leave the O7s at JG and WF. As much as I'd prefer the C40lfs, JG is too large to be all one fleet type. There's no need for the entire depot to be just one type. Having both types is fine.

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wait you're not making any sense on one hand you say its OK for CP and SC to be depots of 1 type of local fleet...but JG should not?

also giving CP and SC more 4500's doesn't balance out their Local Fleet, they'd still be all C40's...

I don't see what the problem is sending some CNG OGs to SC and CP...to have both types of CNG models at all 4 depots.

SC and CP have a smaller fleet compared to JG. Why would you complicate things just so you can have 2 types of buses when you can just give SC and CP both 1 type of bus? I believe average fleet age applies the the entire fleet and not just the locals vs express. IIRC.

You don't see it, but think about it from a maintenance perspective: if a depot has ~60-150 vs one that has about 300, would it make sense to have the ~100 bus depot carry 2 types compared to the one that has 300?

So I stand by my point: keep the O7s with WF and JG, give SC and CP the C40lfs.

*I mean why SC still has the hybrids makes no sense to me when it would be better off to just make their whole local fleet CNGs and send the hybrids to CP so they can make the eventual routes swap with LGA simple.

Edited by Grand Concourse

SC and CP have a smaller fleet compared to JG. Why would you complicate things just so you can have 2 types of buses when you can just give SC and CP both 1 type of bus? I believe average fleet age applies the the entire fleet and not just the locals vs express. IIRC.

You don't see it, but think about it from a maintenance perspective: if a depot has ~60-150 vs one that has about 300, would it make sense to have the ~100 bus depot carry 2 types compared to the one that has 300?

So I stand by my point: keep the O7s with WF and JG, give SC and CP the C40lfs. I mean why SC still has the hybrids makes no sense to me when it would be better off to just make their whole local fleet CNGs and send the hybrids to CP so they can make the eventual routes swap with LGA simple.

OK but WF and SC have C40's as well....so all 4 depots already have simlar fleets....again having BOTH styles of buses at all 4 depots gives the MTA more flexibility with exchanging fleets.

Not to mention SC is already experienced with CNG and OGs, so the training of CNG OGs should be Minimal there.

I agree the OG hybrids should be moved to JFK, LGA or BP...and they are moving out when the new order of C40's arrive.

You may stand by your point, but its not a very good case, for keeping CP and SC to one style of bus, its does nothing but constrain the MTA options.

You don't see it, but think about it from a maintenance perspective: if a depot has 100 buses vs one that has 300, would it make sense to have the 100 bus depot carry 2 types compared to the one that has 300?

So I stand by my point: keep the O7s with WF and JG, give SC and CP the C40lfs.

Since SC has only two local routes they should only have 1 bus type. Actually CP which is larger so it doesn't matter if they have more than 1 fleet because its has more and busier lines. Now if CP loses some of their routes like the Q19,Q38 and Q66 then they may need only 1 fleet since they would only have the Q25,Q34,Q64,Q65. But I do hope that if CP loses some lines they bring some more CNG's buses to CP to help increase and improve service. Sometimes the Q25 Q34 and Q65 can be very slow late and unreliable at times. I always suggested that the Q25 and Q65 LTD be ran later on weekdays and add Saturday LTD because it is busy.

OK but WF and SC have C40's as well....so all 4 depots already have simlar fleets....again having BOTH styles of buses at all 4 depots gives the MTA more flexibility with exchanging fleets.

Not to mention SC is already experienced with CNG and OGs, so the training of CNG OGs should be Minimal there.

I agree the OG hybrids should be moved to JFK, LGA or BP...and they are moving out when the new order of C40's arrive.

You may stand by your point, but its not a very good case, for keeping CP and SC to one style of bus, its does nothing but constrain the MTA options.

How often do MTA bus and NYCT swap buses as far as CNG buses goes*? I think you are making a bigger issue over 'flexibility' when they rarely do swaps. The only thing all 4 depots share is they are CNG depots. Otherwise the only 'flexibility' is b/w JG and WF, SC and CP. I don't see the need to complicate things further especially when you have depots with smaller fleet sizes compared to ones with a larger fleet.

I mean technically, by that logic, what about the 3800-3900 NGs? They have a different battery type compared to the 3960s and up fleet. Should those be spread out over all the other depots too? Or would it be better just to keep them all confined in Manahttan?

*O5s from CP were spread out mainly to retire the older O5s in the other depots, but it doesn't matter since all of them has O5s anyway. So that was an O5 for O5 swap. Eventually all of the O5s will be retired, so it really doesn't matter anymore where they are as the final destination is ECH for scrap.

Edited by Grand Concourse

This is getting interesting!!!!! However I don't see CP getting more CNGs after they get the 600-643 batch.There is a slight possibility of getting some of JGs older C-40LFs I doubt it though. *remember, They currently have 52 O-5 CNGs* the 8 surplus would probably go to scrap, CP will be getting all 48 of LGAs MCIs so there really won't be much of a need for more local buses at CP. The SC hybrids I believe was posted some where that they are all going to the JFK depot. JFKs RTS are going to LGA to push out the rest of LGAs Bees. Then LGA will have to get another 20-30 or so RTSs or what ever becomes available to cover the the Q-19, Q-38, Q-66. The 19 isn't much of a problem, the 38 and the 66 thats another story :wacko: As always please, lets just wait and see. Things could change. If I hear of any changes, I will post it.

This is getting interesting!!!!! However I don't see CP getting more CNGs after they get the 600-643 batch.There is a slight possibility of getting some of JGs older C-40LFs I doubt it though. *remember, They currently have 52 O-5 CNGs* the 8 surplus would probably go to scrap, CP will be getting all 48 of LGAs MCIs so there really won't be much of a need for more local buses at CP. The SC hybrids I believe was posted some where that they are all going to the JFK depot. JFKs RTS are going to LGA to push out the rest of LGAs Bees. Then LGA will have to get another 20-30 or so RTSs or what ever becomes available to cover the the Q-19, Q-38, Q-66. The 19 isn't much of a problem, the 38 and the 66 thats another story :wacko: As always please, lets just wait and see. Things could change. If I hear of any changes, I will post it.

At this rate if they do get the routes, LGA's gonna need to keep whatever they got for their local fleet and take whatever they get...

..if they swap, they'll have plenty of room to fit all of JFK's RTS's when they get them once those MCI's are gone so i doubt that would push out the bees for now until the next (diesel) bus order for Bus Co...

Edited by -CT1660-

I didn't get a chance to respond to this before the thread was closed:

That's the whole reason why the MTA doesn't want the 1997 and 98 RTS's going to MTA bus. They ruin perfectly fine buses and suffer from delays especially at LGA. That's why I always thought NYCT should give up some hybrids and send them to MTA Bus but I later on thought that they will get torn up. If the bus is already crappy in NYCT then they will be happy to give it to MTAB.

What difference does it make to MTA what MTAB does with the buses, if these are old units, being handed down, on their way out; with some already being scrapped anyway?

Plus, it's all (MTA), which had stricter rules than the PBLs. If they're mishandling the buses, then why doesn't (MTA) just enforce stricter standards in the shops?

Damn this is like a Science to figure this sh*t out.....trying to make 2+2 = 5

How much longer until the Overhauled RTSs are in play....they'll most likely all go to BP and some to JFK

The RTSs are said to be gone by 2015 but I think they will go on longer. JFK is getting rid of their RTSs now so what makes you think they're getting more? But as for baisely park they aren't getting anything, they had their time for RTSs already.

The RTS going to MTA Bus from NYCT

8 from FLA, 5 from 126, 2 from FP, 6 from QV

RTS FROM NYCT WILL GO BP, LGA, JFK OR FR

NYCT should give up some hybrids and send them to MTA Bus

they should send some 6400`s from MHV or QV depots to LGA AND BP

How do you know that they are going to BP? LGA yes, they've been getting a lot lately. JFK is getting rid of theirs now so they're not getting any. Far Rockaway isn't getting anymore, so BP won't be getting any. Where'd you hear this from?

LGA is going to be the only MTA Bus depot to have the RTSs. JFK and FR will continue to get Hybrids. BP is not likely to get RTSs. The overhauled RTSs are already on the road. @trainfan1251 the 6 RTSs that went to QV are not returning to MTA Bus. The others you mentioned could be a very good possibility. Also, has any one forgotten about ECH storage??? Again folks, you know the deal.

Edited by T J Trainman

I will say one thing.. SIR, WHERE IS YOUR SOURCE OF INFORMATION..

ALL OF THE ABOVE IS TOTALLY INVALID. LETS WAIT AND SEE WHAT (MTA) DOES..

So that mean BP is keeping their O5's until the new buses come in? If there is going to be 190 RTS's overhauled does that include the NYCT buses from ENY and JA are staying there a few more years? I say that the MTA should just get rid of the ex beelines Orion's and just have an MTA original buses at BP. The RTS's are in better condition then the Orion's.

The RTSs are said to be gone by 2015 but I think they will go on longer. JFK is getting rid of their RTSs now so what makes you think they're getting more? But as for baisely park they aren't getting anything, they had their time for RTSs already.

Lets not be too sure of that. There is a possibility of RTSs going to Baisley Park since they'll need buses to replace the Orion Vs. Remember when people were saying that JFK wasn't going to get RTSs anymore? Look at the depot now!

Since the MTA takeover, Baisley Park has never had one set of buses. They had RTSs and Hybrids since the takeover came through, now they got Orion Vs and Hybrids. There is a good chance that Baisley Park just might get some 1996 RTSs to replace the Orion Vs

Listen and listen good.

STOP WITH YOUR FALSE PREDICTIONS!

Edited by Cait Sith

Baisely Park CAN still Get RTS, They STILL have Parts for them, BP are getting rid of their Bee-lines as well by the beginning of Next Year, Once Flatbush gets their Artics most of their 96 novas will go to MTA bus